edges

ajacks

I am relaxed, but I do not relax my edges and it has definitely helped me thicken up the edges.

MCMLXXII

Hi! I think it depends. It depends on whether you're a natural who straightens or not. I don't straighten my 4b hair and my edges are as thick as my crown. I also don't wear headbands with teeth that puts stress on my edges (that was a hard lesson learned).

I think genetics also plays a role. I have a friend who's natural and straightens but she inherited her dad's thin hairline. Other than that, her hair is full and beautiful.

Last edited:

prospurr4

Hey ladies,

Do u think being natural is easier on your edges. As far as being thick.

tia

I have full edges, and I'm texlaxed. To maintain healthy, thick edges, I think it's important to:
  1. If relaxed, touchup that area last.
  2. Avoid stressful hairdos like some braids and too-tight ponies and buns.
  3. Protect your edges from anything that will dry and/or break them off. For example, someone once said that her edges dried out and broke because her facial cleanser got on that area and was not being rinsed off. Also be careful of the elastic band that lines sleep bonnets. These can rub along edges, causing breakage. I wear my bonnet inside out.
  4. Avoid excessive combing and brushing; manipulate your edges as little as possible. I never brush my edges and rarely comb them.
  5. Keep your edges moisturized.

Last edited: