Educating Black Women about Hair Care

SingingStar12

My mother subscribes to Essence and I was very surprised in the informative information they gave about hair care. Usually, when black magazines begin talking about growing and caring for hair, the suggestions just don't make any sense. But in this particular case, it does. In the new October Collector's Edition of Essence, on page 50, they give some reviews on hair products and how it works for the hair, and some of which are what some of the members of LHCF recommend. On page 60, they give some hair tools recommendations, including a ceramic iron. On page 62, Essence offers pictures of various hairstyles, but my favorite ones in particular were the wavy ponytail (page 64) and beautiful braids (page 70). And it actually gets better... on page 68, Essence offered "Scalp Savers". My favorite suggestions were to not grease the scalp because it blocks the follicles, and to not fry the hair. I think this issue was very informative about hair and will get the message across to black women who are trying to grow out their hair but don't know how.
(Sorry if I confused you with all the page numbers.)

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for sharing!

Which issue are you referencing?

[/ QUOTE ]

'In the new October Collector's Edition of Essence'

FineChyna

its about time i must say-there is nothing more disheartening than finding out that people are getting the wrong hair care info in women's magazines, especially hair magazine

keke

"My favorite suggestions were to not grease the scalp because it blocks the follicles, and to not fry the hair."

Ok im a bit confused on this. I have heard that alot BUT yet i also have heard alot of gr8 reviews on Sulpher 8 and that alot of people can vouch on how their hair or their female relatives hair has grown sooo much from it. I myself can say that i have been using it for about3 weeks or so now and my hair is growing fine. Does it maybe vary w/diff. people? Cause that statment about not greasing the scalp is blanketly saying X-out ALL GREASEs. Or is sulpher 8 something diff.?

myco

I know that I personally can't put anything on my scalp. It's like it breaks out into hives. I'll spend the whole day scratching. I had to stop conditioning my hair overnight, because it would sit on my scalp all night and I would just be miserable the next day. But maybe Sulfur 8 is different for some people. Isn't it mentholated? Maybe whatever it is that gives people that tingly feeling on their scalp is stimulating it also. But I definitely believe that each person is different and we all react differently to products. So if greasing the scalp works for you, I say go for it. But for those people who are having adverse affects from it, that might be the motivation they need to try something else instead of continuing just because that's what they've always done.

SingingStar12

I know I may sound hypocritical when I say this, but I do use Sulfur 8 very lightly on my scalp (once a week). Sulfur is supposed to help your hair grow (or so I've heard). The thing is to not use so much because it has a tendency clog the hair follicles up, which would not allow the hair follicles to receive air. I see some black girls who cover their hair and scalp with grease and wonder why their hair doesn't grow. It all goes back to the definition of petroleum and what it is used for. Grease may vary from person to person; for one person it may work perfectly fine, and may experience growth, but for others, it is too heavy and sticky and greasy for their hair. There are also other ways to keep your scalp from being dry then using grease though, in my opinion. Maybe someone else can clarify the answer to your question better than I can.

keke

Ok well i put it on everyday, sometimes twice a day, is that too much? When i take some out of the jar i dont take a big ol slap of it. Its a bit smaller than a dime and i put it only on my scalp and i have felt the lil sensation when i put it on while my hair is wet. Well for me my hair is growing so im one of those few whose head works pretty well w/it. I'll use it till i run out and see ho wmuch growth i get. Ty btw.

diamondlady

I believe the suplhur in the Suplhur8 in a stimulator, that doesn't hurt your scalp. It's the petrolum in the grease that is bad for the scalp and clog your pores keeping your hair from growing as well.

DelightfulFlame

The problem is not the Sulfur, the problem is the petroleum that is in the grease. It clogs the follicles, and displaces the natural oils from the scalp. It doesn't allow the follicles to breathe. Nothing gets in or out of them. So, dirt gets trapped in. Ever notice that a little girl that has had her scalp greased real good will have lint all around the ponytail? That is the effect of the petroleum.

Alternatives to grease are oils such as jojoba, olive, coconut, almond, etc... If you feel that you need the sulfur effects, I think MSM is full of sulphur. Maybe you could get the powder form and mix it with one of the above oils.

keke

Welll while reading this i just put my fingers through my head twice in 2 diff places and all i got was clean, shiny fingers. And its been like this b4 since i took my braids out over a month ago, and my hair is growing, so i guess it does vary on your scalp. I wash once a week and i use other products in my hair also. NO DIRT comes out of it so ..i dunno it just works differently on peep's heads. This is the ONLY and MAIN thing i put on my scalp though. And also EVERY SINGLE day i feel the lil itchy, crawling feeling in my head and a few days later i notice my hair has grown. I also take MSM by itself along w/hair skin and nail vitamins which also have MSM in it also.

ngaa

thats great that essence magazine is takin the initiaive and realisin that hair care aint rocket science and a lil correct advice goes a long way with its readers!!