? Effect Of Ssks Over The Long Term?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Greetings, all.

It is impossible for my hair to be any finer and denser than it is. I am trying to understand that, consequently, SSKs are probably going to be a part of my life.

My question is this: If I grow my hair for another 3 years and gain the SSKs that will come during the time frame, do you think it will damage my hair? Will I be okay getting a relaxer on WL hair with lots of SSKs in them?

I remove them as much as I can, but it's really serious over here: I just took down my twists, and there's just no way I can avoid SSKs I don't think. My hair is thinner than the thinnest thread. It just knots.

Thanks in advance!

cutiepiebabygirl

SSKs the bane of my existence.

The only thing that helps some is oil rinses, very through detangling, and stretched styles.

Wash n go's are an absolute no -no for me. If I wear one, (rarely) I wear it for half the day, cowash, and wear a stretched/protective style.

I'd had some SSKs when I was relaxed, because I primarily wore twist-outs and didn't trim often enough. My hair stuck together really badly. I had to chop several inches to be able to come through/style my hair. This is where I learned about protein and trims being good for my hair.

Colocha

acne cream and afro dreams
No effects for me.

When I first started my natural journey I clipped them out constantly. I've now realized that they make no difference and haven't cut them out for at least three years.

My rule is:

If the SSK is involved in a knot, I cut it out.
If there's breakage below or above the SSK, I cut it and the breakage out.
If the SSK is stuck to another strand, I cut it out.

But I don't search for them anymore.

ETA: Keeping my hair constantly stretched and moisturized has helped in eliminating them.

toaster

I feel the same as @Colocha

If the SSK is part of a knot or stuck to another strand I remove it. If not, I let it be. I have retained a ton of growth with this method, and because I rarely wear my hair straight, it's not super noticeable. I wouldn't have any hair if I cut every SSK I saw.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
No effects for me.

When I first started my natural journey I clipped them out constantly. I've now realized that they make no difference and haven't cut them out for at least three years.

My rule is:

If the SSK is involved in a knot, I cut it out.
If there's breakage below or above the SSK, I cut it and the breakage out.
If the SSK is stuck to another strand, I cut it out.

But I don't search for them anymore.

ETA: Keeping my hair constantly stretched and moisturized has helped in eliminating them.

This is SUPER comforting, @Colocha. Muchisimas gracias.

I love your rules! :smile:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
SSKs the bane of my existence.

The only thing that helps some is oil rinses, very through detangling, and stretched styles.

Wash n go's are an absolute no -no for me. If I wear one, (rarely) I wear it for half the day, cowash, and wear a stretched/protective style.

I'd had some SSKs when I was relaxed, because I primarily wore twist-outs and didn't trim often enough. My hair stuck together really badly. I had to chop several inches to be able to come through/style my hair. This is where I learned about protein and trims being good for my hair.

You are STILL the best hair twin/sibling EVER. Thank you, ma'am!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Today it REALLY hit me: I'm never going to escape these SSKs!

I was washing my hair section by section when I came across a THICK strand in my first section. I thought, "Wow! A non-fine strand!"

But oh no it wasn't! It was like 17 strands all clinging together. They were like 15 of these all over my head. :thud:

Detangling took SOOOOOOOOOOOOO long today. And I'm starting to see little knots in random places at the ends of my strands. I am glad to know I can just proceed if they are SINGLE strand knots, and I don't have to cut all of those out. Phew! (I would start to NOT have much hair if that were the case).

My goal is to reach WL and then relax 3-4 times a year. Today's wash day made me wonder about that strategy/plan, but I'll keep it going!

Thanks, all!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
You don't think you can reach WL if you were to relax now?

I stopped relaxing because it took my edges out and nobody could fix the problem for 2 years. My hair has always grown fast, but never THIS fast (as a natural) and so healthy! I think my chances are 1,000 times better to reach WL as a natural.

Plus, I'm secretly hoping that I love my long natural hair and don't relax it!

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Due to the nature of our hair, I think it's hard to avoid them but not hard to handle them. I only tackle mine when my hair is wet and I can detangle thoroughly. If I'm putting my hair up in a bun, unless I see a visible knot, I don't go through my hair when dry. They will come out when wet anyway.

cutiepiebabygirl

I stopped relaxing because it took my edges out and nobody could fix the problem for 2 years. My hair has always grown fast, but never THIS fast (as a natural) and so healthy! I think my chances are 1,000 times better to reach WL as a natural.

Plus, I'm secretly hoping that I love my long natural hair and don't relax it!

Okay got ya, because my relaxed hair was WL and it was ALOT easier to mange than what I got going on now.

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
I had them when I was relaxed and I have them on my ends now as a natural.

I snip any that catch any other strands but other than that I can still detangle with no problem so I don't really think about them

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I had them when I was relaxed and I have them on my ends now as a natural.

I snip any that catch any other strands but other than that I can still detangle with no problem so I don't really think about them

Oh, to get where you are mentally with this! That settles it: I'm going to make it my goal to virtually cease thinking about them. :yep:

cutiepiebabygirl

You are tempting me!!!

LOL, don't let me if you're still on the fence! I was just thinking natural hair is not for the faint of heart, especially our strands, so if you're going to relax anyway in the end, you might as well save yourself some trouble and products.

I learned how to care for my hair the healthy way when I was relaxed, it helped when I decided to transition.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
LOL, don't let me if you're still on the fence! I was just thinking natural hair is not for the faint of heart, especially our strands, so if you're going to relax anyway in the end, you might as well save yourself some trouble and products.

I learned how to care for my hair the healthy way when I was relaxed, it helped when I decided to transition.

Makes sense. If I were 100% sure I was going to relax at WL, you're right: It might make sense to relax now (APL) and learn how to keep things healthy!

prettyinpurple

Today it REALLY hit me: I'm never going to escape these SSKs!

I was washing my hair section by section when I came across a THICK strand in my first section. I thought, "Wow! A non-fine strand!"

But oh no it wasn't! It was like 17 strands all clinging together. They were like 15 of these all over my head. :thud:

Detangling took SOOOOOOOOOOOOO long today. And I'm starting to see little knots in random places at the ends of my strands. I am glad to know I can just proceed if they are SINGLE strand knots, and I don't have to cut all of those out. Phew! (I would start to NOT have much hair if that were the case).

My goal is to reach WL and then relax 3-4 times a year. Today's wash day made me wonder about that strategy/plan, but I'll keep it going!

Thanks, all!
For me, that means I am overdue for a trim tbh (when I see the little knots at the ends of my hair all over my head). I wear my hair out so it is really noticeable.