Elasticity with relaxed hair??

Jbirds1

Hey Ladies I need you opinons! Even though I'm texturized I always style my hair so that its straight. The problem is that to get it straight I have to use heat. So its got me thinking..why am I texturizing my hair then? Even when I do rollersets my hair comes out puffy. I can only get my hair (somewhat) striaght with a flat iron. I remember when I first found lhcf last year and my hair was still mostly relaxed (but overprocessed) my rollersets would come out really nice! I find that the only thing that being texturized does is give me more elasticity. BUT...if I find a good stylist who relaxes my hair..but not bone striaght wouldnt that be fine?

Ladies what do you think???

Plenty

Jbirds1 said:
Hey Ladies I need you opinons! Even though I'm texturized I always style my hair so that its straight. The problem is that to get it straight I have to use heat. So its got me thinking..why am I texturizing my hair then? Even when I do rollersets my hair comes out puffy. I can only get my hair (somewhat) striaght with a flat iron. I remember when I first found lhcf last year and my hair was still mostly relaxed (but overprocessed) my rollersets would come out really nice! I find that the only thing that being texturized does is give me more elasticity. BUT...if I find a good stylist who relaxes my hair..but not bone striaght wouldnt that be fine?

Ladies what do you think???
I think that would be find. I actually had more growth with better relaxers and less breakage in some instances.

misscrystal

Nappy and Happy
As a fellow texurized head, I thought I'd force my two cents on you :p
IMHO, you reeeeaally need to be careful about doing a corrective relaxer on top of texturized hair. It can go really wrong for you.

I'm just curious as to why you straighten always? Why not enjoy your texturized hair? If your curls are too tight, maybe you should investigate a corrective texturizer rather than relaxing bone straight.
I know that when I first texturized, I was dissatisfied with the results. My hair just became this somewhat loose fro when it was wet. But since I use a mild lye relaxer to texturize my hair, I was able to get away with doing a "corrective texturizer" and it loosened my curls to my satisfaction, without damaging or overprocessing my hair.
Now I can do cute wash n go's. I think that doing a corrective texturizer will allow you a bit more wiggle room. The hair is loose enough to be straightened w/roller sets but has enough texture for wash n go's (no heat!).

Jbirds1

Thanks for the replies ladies!!

Misscrystal I agree! If I do a corrective relaxer I'll have to be very careful. I would go to the salon (Jazma.com; where I'm going now) to do that. I always straighten my hair because a) I still have some relaxed ends and b) I think my hair is too short to rock the wash and go right now...I just dont like the way it looks.
If I were to go back to the relaxer I would not get bone staight, I'd try and find a stylist who understands that I need some texture left in my hair when relaxing.

Right now my hair is not loose enough to straighten my hair with rollersets. When I rollerset the front and back come out straight but the middle is so puffy. Like you, I want to be able to have hair that is loose enough to straighten with rollersets but will have enough texture for wash and goes.

When you did the corrective texturizer did you put it on the new growth only or on all of your hair. I think that if I were goign to do a corrective relaxer (again not bone straight) I would only do it on the new growth.

What do you ladies think??

misscrystal

Nappy and Happy
Jbirds1 said:
When you did the corrective texturizer did you put it on the new growth only or on all of your hair. I think that if I were goign to do a corrective relaxer (again not bone straight) I would only do it on the new growth.

What do you ladies think??

Ultimately, it's all your decision. By no means should you rely solely on MY advice. I'm still working out the kinks of this whole "hair growing" thing :lol:

When I did my corrective texturizer, I put it on my whole head. I think I was able to get away with that because a) I use a mild (lye) relaxer formula and b) my hair was waaaay underprocessed. My hair straightened was about 6 inches, but shrank down to a 2 inch afro when wet. It was ridiculous.

I think you should really make sure you don't use a strong formula and use your hair's texture to determine whether or not to use a corrective process is necessary for the length of your hair or just the ng.

loonatick

misscrystal said:
When I did my corrective texturizer, I put it on my whole head. I think I was able to get away with that because a) I use a mild (lye) relaxer formula and b) my hair was waaaay underprocessed. My hair straightened was about 6 inches, but shrank down to a 2 inch afro when wet. It was ridiculous.

I think you should really make sure you don't use a strong formula and use your hair's texture to determine whether or not to use a corrective process is necessary for the length of your hair or just the ng.

Hey misscrystal, what relaxer did you use, because i am having the same problem. i am texturized but its really underprocessed and still looks natural (major shrinkage!:eek: ) i would like to correct it but want to use a relaxer that is really gentle/mild (if there is such a product)

misscrystal

Nappy and Happy
loonatick said:
Hey misscrystal, what relaxer did you use, because i am having the same problem. i am texturized but its really underprocessed and still looks natural (major shrinkage!:eek: ) i would like to correct it but want to use a relaxer that is really gentle/mild (if there is such a product)

I use Revlon Professional's mild lye relaxer. You can get it at Sally's. It's a no-base relaxer and has red writing on a white jar. This formula is really mild, but I'd still recommend a strand test. At least to see how it'll affect your hair, and to judge how long to leave it on to get the results you want.
As long as you base your scalp (lye is easier on the hair than no-lye, but it's harsher on the scalp), you don't have to rush through your perm because it's really gentle.

Jbirds1

Hmm...well its definetely something I'm still considering. I'll have to do more research on that! I don't need any more set backs! :lol: