Elasticity

Victorian

old head
Hi, ladies

Wow, it's been a while since I started my own thread...
Well anyway, I'm trying to figure out why my hair doesn't have much elasticity lately. I noticed a little more hair in my comb a couple days ago and when I tried the elasticity test my hair hardly stretched before it broke.

I'm inclined to think it's my shampoo (Thermasilk-nasty sulfates; I'm getting something better soon). But the thing is, usually if my hair is brittle like this, it's just dry and kinda frizzly at the ends and if I keep it moisturized well it gets better in a couple days. However right now my hair is very moisturized and smooth. Thanks to my Dry Ends Miracle Cure (break-free plus hot 6 oil) even my ends are nice and smooth. My hair feels fine but it's snapping more easily than I'm used to.

I used GPB with my last wash (last saturday) and have been also using Aussie Moist. My daily products include Break-Free, Hot 6 Oil, and sometimes John Frieda Secret Weapon. But I've been using these for a while so I don't think it's one of those...
Any ideas? Or have any of you ever experienced this (hair that seems moisturized but still is brittle)?

Thanks for your help

I've not had this problem but did to a certain extent ages ago. I wondered, would you consider taking flax seed oil or evening prim oil? Its supposed to help hair, skin, nails, internal organs and to help with providing moisture inside out.

Also how do you dry your hair? I found ages ago that no matter how good the conditioners I used were, my weekly blowdry and curling iron just kept my hair brittle.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Nonie posted on some products with low pH's. I just want to add that Mermade by L'Oreal (available at Sally's) has a pH of 3.0

JazzAngel

[ QUOTE ]
BlackCardinal said: Thanks to my Dry Ends Miracle Cure (break-free plus hot 6 oil) even my ends are nice and smooth. My hair feels fine but it's snapping more easily than I'm used to.

[/ QUOTE ]

The very thing that you believe to work for you may be the culprit. Oil does not work for everyone. Oil can actually clog bond to the hair and prevent the moisture from getting through. If the hair appears moist that is the appearance of the oil on the hair strands but the hair is really being deprived from moisture.

Did you ever try taking a spoon out of a bowl filled with water and oil? The oil clings to the spoon and it can be hard to wash off even with the dish detergent. It can be the same problem for some hair types.

Maybe you are one whoes hair dislikes oil. Maybe!

Victorian

old head
Sorry, I should have done a search first..I should know better by now

I actually just started taking a epo/flax pill a few days ago so maybe once it starts kicking in I'll notice some improvement. I haven't used heat on my hair since I found this board in the summer (and my hair is MUCH better overall now than it used to be--thanks, LHCF
) So it might be the oil (I hope not cuz I really like it; also I was using coconut oil in the summer and I didn't have any problems), but maybe I just need an acidifying conditioner.

You know, now that I think of it, during the summer I was using Aphogee Pro-Vitamin leave in which I think is slightly acidic. I left it at home when I left for shcool because I had too much in my suitcase, so I haven't used it in almost a month. Hmmmm

Thanks everyone. I'm heading to the store tomorrow
Well, actually I can't drive so that'll be the bus driver when I tell him to STEP ON IT so I can get to Sally's and get my stuff.

Nonie

[ QUOTE ]
BlackCardinal said:
Thanks everyone. I'm heading to the store tomorrow
Well, actually I can't drive so that'll be the bus driver when I tell him to STEP ON IT so I can get to Sally's and get my stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats so cute!

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
Nonie posted on some products with low pH's. I just want to add that Mermade by L'Oreal (available at Sally's) has a pH of 3.0

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for posting this SuperGirl. I had no idea (and this is a product that I use).

Jubilee

I read somewhere that lack of elasticity after relaxing means that the hair has been over processed.
You will notice this when the hair breaks very easily when it is wet and feels mushy like over cooked Spaghetti.