Email from L'anza

Armyqt

Email from L\'anza

I sent an e-mail to Lanza regarding their adding SLS to the Protein Plus Shampoo and this was their response:

Thank you for your recent email. We appreciate your input regarding the ingredients in our Protein Plus Shampoo. We take this types of comments seriously and consider each one an important part of our business.

They also sent this attachment:

"The Myth about Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES)

Recently, a chain letter was circulated touting the dangers of a common cosmetic ingredient used in hair, bath and body products; sodium laureth sulfate. The chain letter was sent to e-mail addresses throughout the country and has received attention from consumers everywhere. As is typical of such ‘warnings’, the message was unsigned and fails to site any references to support its’ claims. In fact, upon further research, the chain letter has been traced to a host of ‘independent distributors’ for various multi–level marketing companies hawking “natural personal care products”

At L’anza Research International we are committed to informing our customers as to the carefully chosen ingredients used in our products. We are interested in maintaining the highest level of quality and education as to why we use specific ingredients.

We have been in the hair care profession for fifteen years and we are constantly working to enhance and improve the effectiveness of our hair care line. Therefore we would like to address the concerns surrounding sodium laurel sulfate in our products, as well as to provide resources for further information about this safe and effective ingredient.

What is sodium laureth sulfate?
Sodium laureth sulfate (correctly abbreviated SLES) is a common ingredient used in hair products, toothpaste, bath and shower gels. The chain letter confuses this compound with another, sodium lauryl sulfate, which is abbreviated “SLS”. The two substances are related but are not the same.

Why does L’anza use sodium laureth sulfate in its’ products?
Sodium laureth sulfate (SLES) is an effective cleaning agent (surfactant), which has been deemed safe by the FDA. SLES has been used for 40+ years is one of the most popular foaming/cleaning ingredients used in cosmetic products today. L’anza uses SLES at a barely detectable 2-3% concentration level in a couple of our shampoo formulations.

Is sodium laureth sulfate dangerous?
No, SLES is absolutely safe for infants, children and adults.

Is sodium laureth sulfate known to cause cancer?
No. The chemical does not appear on any official list of known or suspected carcinogens. All reputable chemists and public health institutions agree that sodium laureth sulfate does not pose a hazard when used in bath and body products.

How does an issue like this become so sensationalized?
There are several newly founded ‘natural’ cosmetic manufactures that use the Internet as a selling tool. This is an effective means of spreading unfounded claims to generate fear and increase sales. However, there is no official documentation that describes SLES as remotely harmful.

For further research:

8th Annual Report on Carcinogens (1998). National Toxicology Program. URL:http://ntp-server.niehs.nih.gov/Main_pages/NTP_8RoC_pg.html (September 1, 1998).

Clayton, R.M., et al. (1985). “The Penetration of Detergents into Adult and Infant Eyes.” Food and Chemical Toxicology 23.2 (February 1985): 239-246.
Hope, J. “Absence of Chromosome Damage in Bone Marrow of Rats Fed Detergent for 90 Days.” Mutation Research 56.1 (September 1977): p. 47- 50.

Material Safety Data Sheet for Sodium Laureth Sulfate. University of Utah. http://www. Chem.utah.edu. (October 1, 1998)"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Assuming this is true, which I don't know, they still didn't explain why the addition. How did adding it to their formula make it better? I suspect it may be an attempt to create the product at a lesser expense to their company. What do you guys think? /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

Kitkat

Re: Email from L\'anza

Thanks for sharing that, Armyqt. L'anza sounds a helluva lot more professional than Motions!! Motions should take their cue on how to respond to customer inquiries. Interesting info about SLES.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
L’anza uses SLES at a barely detectable 2-3% concentration level in a couple of our shampoo formulations.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/huh.gif It's the 2nd ingredient...

This burns me up. /images/graemlins/mad.gif You're exactly right when you say the email doesn't explain why they started using sles all of a sudden. And I don't think people are complaining because they think sles is dangerous. It just makes some folks hair feel rough and stripped. People like the old formula and want to know why they changed it.

We know why, we just want them to admit it! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

pebbles

L'anza sounds a helluva lot more professional than Motions!! Motions should take their cue on how to respond to customer inquiries.

[/ QUOTE ]

AMEN!! /images/graemlins/look.gif

azul11

thats the exact same email they sent me when i wrote to them about a month ago. i guess they have been getting a lot of the same emails about the concern with the sls because it is the same verbetum. they can say what they want but that still doesnt explain why they added the sls in the first place. if the old formula was good why mess with a good thing? why change the formula? all the research in the world doesnt explain that to me. God bless you all.

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)

I never got an anti-SLES chain letter in an email. I'm feeling left out. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Thanks for posting this. It still doesn't answer WHY they use SLS in the first place /images/graemlins/mad.gif

I recall calling Lanza a while back when I asked them to read the ingredients of the protein plus shampoo (while I had the original formula in my hand) and the woman on the phone asked if I was concerned about sls because of cancer because this doesn't have any link with that at all. I told her that actually I wasn't asking about the SLS addition because of that but just wanted her to confirm that it was in the new formula, which it is. They've obviously had queries re. sls an cancer and have come out with this standard letter to everyone which unfortunately doesn't answer the question I'm more interested in. Why?

Allandra

azul11 said:
thats the exact same email they sent me when i wrote to them about a month ago. i guess they have been getting a lot of the same emails about the concern with the sls because it is the same verbetum. they can say what they want but that still doesnt explain why they added the sls in the first place. if the old formula was good why mess with a good thing? why change the formula? all the research in the world doesnt explain that to me. God bless you all.

[/ QUOTE ]
I remember you posting the same exact thing. It must be a response they send out to everyone that asks this question. I bet they have received a lot of emails about the formula change.

UmSumayyah

I bet if they received alot of emails from people saying they were switching to a different brand because of the formula change, they'd think about changing back.
Smaller companies can't afford to alienate customers, since they rely more heavily on word of mouth (rather than advertising) to increase sales.
I'd be shopping for a new shampoo if I were you guys...

EmeraldSky

<font color="purple"> Does anyone know if they made the same change to the Deep Cleansing Shampoo?</font>

Armyqt

Okay ladies, I bought the Protein Plus shampoo and used it yesterday. I loved it!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif My hair felt really strong afterwards but not dry and hard at all. I followed up with Lanza Straight Line conditioner (da bomb, only needed a little) and my hair came out the best it has in a long time. Im hooked for sure. Despite the SLS, I really liked the shampoo. And the rest of the ingredients list was quite impressive. Not to mention the smell of these items.. Let me just say..heavenly! I'm sold and will definitely keep using these products. I'm also gonna try some other things in their line. Oh I forgot to mention that my combout went excessively smooth and I lost under 10 hairs at 10 weeks without relaxer and mucho newgrowth. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

BTW, I never used the old SLS free formula.

Armygt!!! I'm so glad you liked the shampooo and straight line! If you want to, you should be able to still find the old sls free formula around some beauty supplies but if it doesn't bother you then cool /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

I like their straight line too and haven't used it in a little while. I remember how it made my regrowth so much straighter!

You'd probably love their Deep Cleansing shampoo too /images/graemlins/poke.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif

pebbles

That's great to hear. I've wanted to try this shampoo too, but when I heard the formula had changed, I was hesitant about trying it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

LondonDiva

Allandra said:

I remember you posting the same exact thing. It must be a response they send out to everyone that asks this question. I bet they have received a lot of emails about the formula change.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if they've had so many letters/e-mails then isn't that a sign that people don't like the new formula and want it changed back. Just how dumb are these people.

L'anza people aren't feeling the new formula.

Armyqt

brownrelaxedhair said:
Armygt!!! I'm so glad you liked the shampooo and straight line! If you want to, you should be able to still find the old sls free formula around some beauty supplies but if it doesn't bother you then cool /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

I like their straight line too and haven't used it in a little while. I remember how it made my regrowth so much straighter!

You'd probably love their Deep Cleansing shampoo too /images/graemlins/poke.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl there is no doubt in my mind that I will try that deep cleansing shampoo /images/graemlins/smile.gif (you know I'm a PJ /images/graemlins/grin.gif). Like I said, I am really impressed with their line. As far as getting the old version, is there somewhere online that still has this? I got my stuff through a local salon that ordered it for me.

Kiadodie

Gosh..you guys are going to make me try this shampoo..it sounds good /images/graemlins/smile.gif

EmeraldSky

Armyqt said:
Okay ladies, I bought the Protein Plus shampoo and used it yesterday. I loved it!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif My hair felt really strong afterwards but not dry and hard at all. I followed up with Lanza Straight Line conditioner (da bomb, only needed a little) and my hair came out the best it has in a long time. Im hooked for sure. Despite the SLS, I really liked the shampoo. And the rest of the ingredients list was quite impressive. Not to mention the smell of these items.. Let me just say..heavenly! I'm sold and will definitely keep using these products. I'm also gonna try some other things in their line. Oh I forgot to mention that my combout went excessively smooth and I lost under 10 hairs at 10 weeks without relaxer and mucho newgrowth. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

BTW, I never used the old SLS free formula.

[/ QUOTE ]

Armyqt,

<font color="purple"> Thanks so much for mentioning this, I've been so irritated about the change in the formula and wondering which product I'm going to use to replace it, I was considering Aveda's protein shampoo so I'm very happy to hear that you had good experiences with the new formula!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif
Also, thanks BRH for the answer to my question.</font>