Emergencee's not working -- now what?

caress

Emergencee\'s not working -- now what?

I have used Nexxus Emergencee the last 3 or 4 times I washed my hair. My ends are still breaking off. I know ultimately I need to get a cut. I'm just wondering if there is anything that I can do or any product that I can use that will buy me some more time. As long as I've belonged to various hair boards/groups/clubs you'd think I'd know the answer by now. Maybe I just need a reminder. /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif

I've shampooed either with VO5 kiwi & lime clarifying shampoo or Nexxus Botanoil. Then I use the Emergencee sometimes with heat and have shampooed with Elasta Creme Conditioning shampoo or Neutrogena Triple Moisture shampoo afterward. I then airdry my hair until it's almost dry and blowdry it until compeletely dry. Rarely I just let it airdry in bantu knots. Then I either bump the ends or flatiron the whole length while turning the ends under. Could it be that the heat negates whatever the Emergencee is doing? I've been slipping and using heat more than once a week. So much for that Healthy Ends challenge.

TigerLily

Re: Emergencee\'s not working -- now what?

Yeah, I think it is the heat negating the emergencee. Then, it could be a combination of the heat and needing a good 'ol trim/cut. From what I've read, if hair is damaged and it keeps breaking, it will continue to do so until the damage is cut off.

Nonie

I don't doubt the heat is to blame. Dry ends split easily. Also dry ends are bound to undergo wearing and tearing so the fact that you blow dry to finish off your drying then follow that with a flat iron...spells trouble to me. You're doing everything you could possibly do to dry them.

Those that do the baggy technique do it because keeping ends moisturized does help keep ends healthy. Also most pple with beyond bra strap hair airdry their hair and rarely use heat. Of course there are exceptions, but sounds to me like your ends could really use a trim. Once you've got split ends, there's nothing you can do to repair them. Conditioning can make them look better but if the damage is extensive, you're better off just trimming and starting afresh.

Do you wear a protective style? I know not everyone needs to, but many of those who do don't regret it. Again, Adrienne0194 is my role model for this.

cutebajangirl

Also I see a big step missing in what you described. MOISTURE! I think that even if you use a conditioning poo after Emergencee you still need a moisturizing conditioner. I can't even imagine what my hair would be like using that multiple times in a row sans conditioner and I am the Protein Queen. LOL. So please before you cut give a nice deep condition a try. HTH.

caress

Oh I'm sorry. I used Kenra Moisturizing COnditioner after the Emergencee. Doh! Also lately I've been using Elasta QP Mango Butter on omy hair during the week, especially the ends. I also use a little oil on the ends because my ends tangle easily.

My ends are so strange. When I was natural last year, my ends were supercurly and hard to straighten when compared to the rest of my hair. When I got my relaxer, they were still pretty curly but looser. Then my hairdresser at the time did a corrective relaxer and they were still curly but drier. I'm not sure what was up with them but I have had one cut and a trim since then and some of those ends are still there.

I don't wear my hair in protective styles and that's mainly because I've always been able to grow my hair to at least shoulder length without wearing my hair up. I also used heat on my hair on a daily basis and still shoulder length or longer.

I'm not so sure that wearing protective styles forever is the answer for me. My problem is these wacky ends. I can use protective styles to hold on to my hair longer (because of less manipulation and more moisture retention). I could then get a series of trims rather than a big cut. In the long run, I still have to make some changes in the way I dry and style my hair.

I'm rambling sorta. Hope that made sense.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo

I think if you really want to save those ends you might have to say "so long" /images/graemlins/wave.gif to heat and try some protective styles. You said yourself that you are trying to by time before trimming. I HATE wearing buns and updos but since I'm trying get all my hair to one legnth I do protective styles and use the baggie method. It's boring but I'm maintaining length. After a while you get used to it. Hope this helps!

Leslie_C

caress, have u been having this problem since the corrective relaxer? If so then this might be the reason for the breakage...

sengschick

The Bun Master

I think you're using Emergencee too often. It can be used weekly I think it says, for DAMAGED HAIR. It's possible that you are over doing it a bit. It sounds like you have relatively healthy hair w/some damaged ends. Very, very different. I think you should do some deep conditioning treatments and cut Emergencee to twice a month and then to once a month. My ends break when I use too much protein, so I stopped w/Elasta's Mango Butter b/c of the protein content and went back to oils. Those broken ends are history. If I want something to really impart daily moisture I mix oil in my conditioner, works wonderfully. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

caress

yeah it's probably just my ends that are really damaged. The corrective relaxer did aggravate my ends now that I think of it. Also all that heat is not good. I'm going to attempt a rollerset this weekend and see if I can pull that off. If not, I know a hairdresser that does wet sets so maybe I let her do it sometime.