EMU OIL STUDY PROVES HAIR GROWTH!

Aina1000

I was wondering if anyone has tried Emu oil? I have read a few claims online about emu oil helping boost growth, in some cases eyebrows. I am tired of jumping on every bandwagon that comes to surface... if you have tried it please let me know how well it has worked for you...

Thanks

x

Emu Oil and hair loss study information sheet

[FONT=arial,helvetica]

Background: Claims have been made that emu oil could offer a natural solution to help with hair regrowth and several studies appear to support this with preliminary research reporting an observed increase in skin and hair cell regrowth (1/2) with the application of emu oil.
Study: The Pioneer Trading Company recently commissioned a study to try and establish whether or not sustained application of emu oil to the scalp could help with hair growth.
34 participants took part in the study, during which they were asked to apply emu oil to their scalps on a daily basis. Each month the participants recorded the amount of hair on their heads using a visual analogue scale. The results were extremely encouraging with participants seeing an average regrowth of 8.1% of their hair per month, and an average 48.4% regrowth over the full study period of six months.
How might it work: Although further studies need to be carried out to support the findings from this latest study the results are further evidence that emu oil may have a role to play in encouraging hair regrowth. Several theories have been put forward as to how, if it does, emu oil might help with hair loss. Emu oil application may encourage cell division by supplying some of the fatty acids that are needed for the process to occur. It has been proposed that the suggested anti-inflammatory nature of the oil may help with some forms of hair loss linked to inflammation of the skin surrounding the hair follicles. The enzyme 5-alpha-reductase, which converts testosterone into the hormone DHT (claimed to be one of the main culprits to cause hereditary balding) is known to be inhibited by several of the fatty acids that are present in emu oil. Suggested Usage: In the most recent trial, in which participants saw an average of 8.1% regrowth per month, emu oil applications were made every day before going to sleep. A few drops were applied to the balding area and thoroughly massaged in.
[/FONT]

tmhuggiebear

I've never heard about it helping with hair but know that it helps with eczema. I'm interested to here if it really does help with hair. I've already got a bunch in my house.

GlamaDiva

I've done some research on this oil. From my research Emu Oil is a great carrier oil as it penetrates further than any other oil. So it would be a good base to any essential oils and other oils. I've used this for maybe a month but not consistent enough to see any results.

Aina1000

There's another study on this site.... Emu oil hair loss and frontal regrowth

I've pickd out some sections:

Of all the compounds so far recommended in our treatment protocol topical Emu Oil has consistently gotten the most positive feedback in regards to frontal regrowth, with many users experiencing the initiation of vellous (fuzz) growth within weeks.

It is a given in hair loss treatment that frontal regrowth is much more difficult to attain than regrowth in the vertex or crown. This especially holds true of the "FDA approved " compounds Rogaine and Propecia, as test data have shown them to be of virtually no use in stimulating frontal regrowth. Why this is the case is unclear, and has been a source of frustration to those who respond well in the crown , only to have their hairline stay in its receded state. In this article we will review the medical properties of topical Emu Oil, to give a clearer understanding of the multiple mechanisms by which it supports hair growth.

The most important property of emu oil has already been mentioned. It is highly penetrating. This ability to penetrate the stratum corneum barrier of the skin, brought about by the high levels of oleic acid mentioned earlier, has in it the basis for many new uses in the future.

Aina1000

I've done some research on this oil. From my research Emu Oil is a great carrier oil as it penetrates further than any other oil. So it would be a good base to any essential oils and other oils. I've used this for maybe a month but not consistent enough to see any results.

How much did it cost and what size bottle?

GodivaChocolate

I've used it but not consistently. It is really good stuff and it has a lot of positive properties. you can also take it internally. I haven't used it long enough to say that it makes my hair grow but studies show that it does work. I've never noticed the smell either. You have to watch where you buy it from because all vendors are not equal.

sensi sweetie

Q: Where does emu oil come from?

A: Emu oil comes from a thick pad of fat on the back of the bird that was initially provided by nature to protect the animal from the extreme temperatures of its Australian homeland.

Morally im not sure im okay with this :perplexed But i have heard its a good skin moisturizer as well.

Urban

hmm... not too sure about the study. What control did they use? Like how do we know that's not their normal growth?

Oh, I'm not knocking emu oil for hair growth at all because I've used it myself. If anyone is interested, here's some of the research I did on emu oil and hair growth and here's the last update I did Urban Hair Care: Hair Growth - Growing Back Edges with Emu oil - Update 3

I just wanted to add this too: Please don't take this as me saying that anyone can just use emu oil and your will be so long and luxurious you won't know what to do with it. I think in that last update post you'll find that I tried to explore other factors that may have contributed to getting my edges back, they're all worth considering.

I also stopped using emu oil at the beginning of this year. The main reason is being that it's very pricey. Even here in Australia, about $20 for 1.86 FL. OZ. But I bought a bottle last week and will resume applying it to my scalp.

Urban

What kind of smell is it?

It smells like chicken grease to me. I find the smell doesn't linger too long after the oil is applied though.

@ anyone afraid of the smell. Maybe you could mix it with an essential oil. Or if you apply anything else to your scalp, just mix it in with that.

MissLawyerLady

I love emu oil for my skin. I started a crown breakage thread a while back where I mentioned that I was going to start applying emu oil to my crown on the regular. Unfortunately, I haven't been consistent but I'm going to start because I could really use help in that area. I've never noticed any smell with my emu oil. I use Laid in Montana brand emu oil; distributed by Montana Emu Ranch Co. www.montanaemuranch.com

lilsparkle825

That study would have been GREAT had they used more than 34 people.

This is intriguing enough for me to swindle my SO's bottle of emu oil to use for my hair, at least as a moisturizer. He uses it as a scar treatment.

LaidBak

Refined Emu oil has no smell. I use Longview Farms brand. Can't imagine why its so expensive in Australia (isn't that where its made?). For $20 you can get 4oz online.

I used it as a moisturizer for a while. A little goes a LONG way. This is not for the heavy handed Sistas. I stopped because I am heavy handed and can't control myself. I use it now mixed with my Ovation Cell Therapy for extra penetration. After reading this info I guess I will also mix it in with my edge oil mix (JBCO and Bringraj oil). It certainly can't hurt.

CosmicVisitor

I bought my Emu Oil from the Pioneer Trading company (I was studying in the city that PTC are based). They add essential oils to the hair serum so it smelled like Lavander and Rosemary Oil :) I also bought the skin serum and the shampoo and conditioner. I still have all the products (it's been two years) as I'm the worst at doing anything consistently. However, I did notice my skin was softer and more supple.

PrincesscurlyQ<3

i know that the natural line Hydratherma uses that in some of there products such as the Hair lotion. They give details on emu oil and everything how studies show its derived from the emu bird & its been here for thousands of years used in medicines and for healing.

"It is a deep penetrating natural moisturizer which penetrates the hair shaft / scalp quickly and easily"

here's the link.
\emu oil

LaidBak

I pulled out some Emu oil/MSM cream that I had in my stash. I forgot how much I liked that stuff.

mostamaziing

Hi I'm Chrissy (✿◠‿◠)
donna karan cashmere mist body lotion contains emu oil.. which ihonestly believe gave me noticeable nasty excessive finger hairs:evil: but it smells soo goood..:lick::ohwell:

Aina1000

donna karan cashmere mist body lotion contains emu oil.. which ihonestly believe gave me noticeable nasty excessive finger hairs:evil: but it smells soo goood..:lick::ohwell:

:lachen::lachen::lachen: @ Finger hairs!!!

With so many studies, I wonder why more people haven’t tried it? I guess the cost is definitely a determinant, however for us in UK, ordering Jamaican Black Caster Oil is quite expensive, yet people still do that. hmmmnn, who knows....

Casarela

Ive tried it consistently...Did I notice any changes....mmmm don't remember because at that time I think I was doing way too many thing and I was a product junkie AND I know for a fact now, that regardless of what I use or buy my hair always grow.

One thing that I can say...Its one of the oils that I like the most, simply because its not really greasy IMO. Also, it didn't have any smell. I'm not an oil fanatic but that one did stand out because at that time I was dealing with a dry scalp. the consistency was very light which was great because I cannot stand messy, thick oils in general.

The bottle I bought was from wal-mart it was about 20$ more or less.

HTH,

mariofmagdal

It smells like chicken grease to me. I find the smell doesn't linger too long after the oil is applied though.

@ anyone afraid of the smell. Maybe you could mix it with an essential oil. Or if you apply anything else to your scalp, just mix it in with that.

Yes, in the purest of forms, it smells like chicken grease, but it works, and yes very PRICEY!

EMJazzy

Happily retired
It's a staple for me!! My dry scalp problem was solved because of my consistent use of EMU oil for the last few years! :yep: It's worth the money!!! :up:

gorgeoushair

There's a lady on utube who makes her own butter and it has emu oil in it. She says her butter has helped her grow her hair back. She has alopecia areata.