Encouragement for today - 3/30/07

Nice & Wavy

#yiv558299819 st1\:*{}​
March 30, 2007
It Didn’t Take Luck
Psalm 127:1, “Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor in vain.” (NIV)
Devotion:
My son had spent an enjoyable Sunday afternoon at a friend’s house, and I chatted with his mother, Jenny, while waiting for shoes and balls to be gathered. Jenny was a teacher at my children’s school and had become a friend.

“What are you doing this afternoon?” I asked.

“Laundry,” she answered, breathing a weary sigh.

“That’s what I’m doing tomorrow,” I countered, commiserating in a way only another mother can.

“You’re lucky, I wish I could stay home like you,” Jenny answered.

“I know,” I agreed, “I’m very thankful to be at home.”

I’ve thought about her comment many times since that day. It broke my heart to hear the longing in her voice to be at home. But I couldn’t agree with her assessment of my situation. Luck didn’t have a thing to do with my being home. I didn’t wake up one day to find that my debts were paid or to discover my family could live on one income. That didn’t take luck. It took God’s call on my life to work from home, then diligent planning on my husband’s and my part to make it happen.

For years, my husband and I lived the “typical” American life. We enjoyed our careers, drove new cars and lived in a suburban neighborhood. With student loans, home expenses and three children, we found ourselves with growing debt. When my husband and I would hear reports of the average debt for an American family, we would look at each other and jokingly say, “Well, at least we are above average.”

It wasn’t very funny because financial obligations controlled our lives and affected our ability to follow God’s will. With all our money tied up in paying bills, there was little discretionary income. We weren’t even tithing. We felt as though we were caught in a spider’s web that was binding us to this progressively limiting lifestyle of work and debt.

When I knew that God wanted me to work from home, my husband and I took a hard look at our circumstances and knew we needed to make changes. We started tithing, then attacking our bills one by one. There were many expenses we didn’t have once I was home, so we were pleased to discover I didn’t need to make as much money as we initially thought. After a rocky start and a few backward steps in the debt department, we finally got our feet underneath us and learned to make it work.

Obeying God’s call on my life is a top priority. For me, that means working at home. It’s not always easy, but the rewards of being obedient in this area of my life have overflowed to my family as well. I’ve learned that for it to work, it’s got to be God’s plan. If it is, then He will make a path. My part is to walk that path and make the tough decisions needed to stay obedient.

Dear Heavenly Father, You are good in all Your ways. Help me to seek Your will in every part of my life. I confess the times that I have sought my own desires over Yours, or have disobeyed because something seemed too hard. I want to be obedient and ask for Your power and strength in my life. In Jesus name, Amen.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
"Wavy Lady" (the peaceful 'wave' of God's love, you are) :yep:

... I love these inspirations of yours. Now I have something to not only reflect upon but to 'change' upon as well...a good change.

Keep blessing us. I really getting spoiled even though this is only the 2nd one, so far. These are really very nice. ;)

Hugs and Huge blessings to you, sweet lady...;)

Nice & Wavy

Shimmie said:
"Wavy Lady" (the peaceful 'wave' of God's love, you are) :yep:

... I love these inspirations of yours. Now I have something to not only reflect upon but to 'change' upon as well...a good change.

Keep blessing us. I really getting spoiled even though this is only the 2nd one, so far. These are really very nice. ;)

Hugs and Huge blessings to you, sweet lady...;)

Awww....thank you, Shimmie !!!

Are you kidding me? I been getting spoiled by your threads and posts since I've been on this board!

I'm glad you are enjoying them...I do as well. Every morning I look forward to the next one.

Blessings to you and a bunch of hugs for you too!

Blessings...:p http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZGzeb001YYUS

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Nice & Wavy said:
Awww....thank you, Shimmie [URL="http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_3_15.gif"]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_3_15.gif[/URL] !!!

Are you kidding me? I been getting spoiled by your threads and posts since I've been on this board!

I'm glad you are enjoying them...I do as well. Every morning I look forward to the next one.

Blessings to you and a bunch of hugs for you too!

Blessings...:p

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb095&pp=ZGzeb001YYUS

I've been behaving this month. Next month...no promises....:lol: