Essence article on hair myths

Hmm
I didn't agree with the flat iron
myth...
I think flat irons
should
be used in extreme moderation....

I'm all for "doing what works for you" but :blush: @ using a lye relaxer every week for 20 years (along with a curling iron when "needed").

How? Why? What?

First they say that one of the myths is that trimming will make your hair grow. And then they say the bold...

“This is definitely not true! Everyone has a point where the hair will just stop growing regardless of ethnicity,” explains Washington. "Hair growth comes from a good diet and well-maintained hair. Taking multivitamins, drinking water, eating green vegetables, trimming the hair a quarter of inch every four to eight weeks all promotes hair growth.”

Contradictory much?

First they say that one of the myths is that trimming will make your hair grow. And then they say the bold...

Contradictory much?

What they meant was that trimming won't make it grow-which is true. Growth comes from inside, and starts from inside.

The quote that you have at the bottom is just saying, that although trimming doesn't promote growth, it will help you to RETAIN length, by keeping your ends split-free. Therefore, your hair will be longer.

Give them some credit. That was a nice article.

Last edited:
I def agree that they have some editing issues. Almost every tip she gives is a half truth and the answers aren't clear. I think this would confuse me more if I didn't know anything about hair care.

ex: "flat irons are made with ceramic plates" this is implying that ALL flat irons are ceramic when we know there are non-ceramic, ceramic coated, full ceramic, and a host of others, and they all perform differently.

I am trying to figure out what is so avant garde about Traci Washington. All her sites are down.

What they meant was that trimming won't make it grow-which is true. Growth comes from inside, and starts from inside.

The quote that you have at the bottom is just saying, that although trimming doesn't promote growth, it will help you to RETAIN length, soyour hair is longer.

Right, I agree with them on the first part.

But my problem is, if they meant that trimming will help with retention, then they should have said that. Not, trimming a quarter of an inch promotes growth, because it doesn't. And, most people don't know that, which is why they let their stylists trim their hair so often.

I guess I expect journalists to be precise. But then again, it's Essence.

Contradictory much?

I saw that and it doesn't make sense because if your hair grows 1/4 an inch a month and you trim 1/4 an inch a month... wouldn't you remain at the same length :confused:

Yeah, the editing is a mess. The part about split ends is a bit off also.

MYTH: You can’t repair split ends

As much as we’d like to believe this to be true, uh uh. You can temporarily treat your split ends with fortifying conditioners like Biolage by Matrix ForteTherapie Intensive Strengthening Masque ($9, drugstore.com), but the little scragglers do still exist. The only way to fully repair your hair is by ridding it of its bad parts—and by that we mean cutting.
I'm guessing the myth is supposed to be 'you CAN repair split ends'.

I def agree that they have some editing issues. Almost every tip she gives is a half truth and the answers aren't clear. I think this would confuse me more if I didn't know anything about hair care.

ex: "flat irons are made with ceramic plates" this is implying that ALL flat irons are ceramic when we know there are non-ceramic, ceramic coated, full ceramic, and a host of others, and they all perform differently.

ITA which is why I am mad at this article. They could be helping so many but I think that it does more harm than good because it is confusing and unclear.

I think they should fire whoever wrote this article and hire an LHCFer. Just the basic principles we have here, will get your hair doing atleast 70% better then these half-baked practices Essence is trying to promote. I think we should come up with our own 15 points, send in a picture of one of the long haired ladies here (perhaps one of the girls on here with afro/Rapunzel hair) and show them Essence folks how to really do it.

And smh @ the lady who relaxes her hair every week. She sounds like a looney toon. Forget the hair straightening part but what kind of cancers can a person get exposing themselves to all those chemicals every week for 20 years?

I think they should fire whoever wrote this article and hire an LHCFer. Just the basic principles we have here, will get your hair doing atleast 70% better then these half-baked practices Essence is trying to promote. I think we should come up with our own 15 points, send in a picture of one of the long haired ladies here (perhaps one of the girls on here with afro/Rapunzel hair) and show them Essence folks how to really do it.

And smh @ the lady who relaxes her hair every week. She sounds like a looney toon. Forget the hair straightening part but what kind of cancers can a person get exposing themselves to all those chemicals every week for 20 years?

She would probably tell you that there is no research linking relaxers and cancer or any other health problems.

I just can't imagine someone doing that every week. I mean is straight hair that serious?

My brain is still trying to process the fact that that woman relaxes every week. WTH does she need curling irons for, when she has 26 strands of hair on her head? :confused:

I would love to see a picture of her hair Every week for 20 years and this is why a lot of black people don't have hair

What cancers would those be??

She would probably tell you that there is no research linking relaxers and cancer or any other health problems.

I just can't imagine someone doing that every week. I mean is straight hair that serious?

As far as I have personally looked into the matter, that would be true. There is no research linking use of relaxers to cancer....

While cancers in general may be linked to chemical exposure, we get the majority of our exposure from daily exposure to chemicals like pesticides, not from a hair care product applied every few months or weeks.

Anyhow, I agree that the article was a mess.

Hypocritical ESSENCE..they worship relaxed hair and have almost shunned naturals in their advertisements and hair care articles; they have strayed badly from Marcia Gillepsies's original intent to celebrate black women in all our glory-they think featuring a few women over sized 10 is doing it:rolleyes:.!!!!!!!!!

Back