Ethiopian Ladies

velvethalo

Is anyone here Ethiopian or have friends that are Ethiopian? Whenever I see Ethiopian ladies they have the most beautiful hair no matter if it is relaxed or natural. Any clues?

mich_w

Guuurrll, you are speaking the truth! Hair is always slamming - colour, style, texture - thick, long, whoooooo-hoo! I would be very interested to hear more about their regimes also.

CORBINS

I don't know of any now, but I definately did grow up with many of them. I'm from California and many of them came over from Africa to live there. My mom was friends with one and she told my mom to shave my head bald after I was around 1 year old to encourage thick long hair growth. My mom didn't of course but sometimes I wish she did! I'll email my sister who is still friends with some Ethiopians and ask her to get some of their regimes for us!

CORBINS

It definately is in their genes, but they do have some great hair care secrets. I remember when I used to play with their hair, it had a wierd smell to it. When we would go visit their homes we had to drink this very thick nasty tea, and you had to finish it! I know I could use some advise from them now.

CORBINS

I actually never knew what was in that tea! They have a coffee also. I was too young to remember. It's probably somewhere on the web.

Tammy

Ooops, I hit the enter button by mistake. This is off-topic, but has anyone ever told you that you look like Meagan Goode. She's been in the movier Biker Boyz, and Deliver Us From Eva. She also played the girlfriend of the son in the sitcom 'My Wife and Kids', before being replaced by a new actress. You favor her so much to me.

karezone

I know that in some asian countries they shave the head as well to make the hair grow in thicker.

soulchild

LOL, almost every lil kid I know had to get their head shaved at some point or another for that same reason

I'm not Ethiopian, but if you look up Eritrea it is right there.

ms_kenesha

Soulchild you're from Eritrea? The 2 girls that I've known from there had gorgeous long hair as well! One colored hers a bit too much so it looked too dry a lot, but it was thick and long. The other girl's hair was GORGEOUS!!!

soulchild

YUP. Most Eri's I know grow hair really fast. Also their hair tends to be stronger, able to withstand alot without much adverse effect. Common hairtypes is 4,3,and 2

I can't say there's some special regimen or secrets, though. They do all the bad stuff most African Americans do. The young ones, anyway. It must be genes.

I have seen alot of do henna treatments as opposed to coloring. More rollersetting instead of blowdrying/flat ironing and braiding.

Nessa

Are their any Nigerians in here. Alot of Nigerians grow their hair fast, espcially my grandmom.

CORBINS

Tammy: Noone has ever told me that I looked like Maegan Goode before!! I'm actually very happy that you said her instead of Robin Givens! Everyone, including my mother says I look like her. I don't like her though, especially because everyone makes funny Mike Tyson jokes!

cardinalfire

I wonder if it has anything to do with being in a section of Africa that is ethnically mixed with the hair from Pakistan and other Middle Eastern Countries. The think that I have noticed about Ethiopians (there are alot of them here in Minneapolis) is that their hair resembles my biracial hair and a lot of biracial hair types that I know. Not that biracial people all have one hair type, mind you. But mixing tough straight hair in with delicate coiled hair might offer it some resiliency.

[ QUOTE ]
cardinalfire said:
I wonder if it has anything to do with being in a section of Africa that is ethnically mixed with the hair from Pakistan and other Middle Eastern Countries. The think that I have noticed about Ethiopians (there are alot of them here in Minneapolis) is that their hair resembles my biracial hair and a lot of biracial hair types that I know. Not that biracial people all have one hair type, mind you. But mixing tough straight hair in with delicate coiled hair might offer it some resiliency.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I have noticed that also. I went to school and worked with some Ethiopian women and they do have a texture resembling bi-racial hair. Very pretty and thick. The ones I know never relax their hair and airdry.

I live right in the middle of an Ethiopian community. They have the thickest longest hair I have seen on African women. I agree, it appears that wetsets are preferred and the bone-straight hair is not the look many of them go for. They are not afraid of the "puffy" look either. I also see a lot of corn rolls. And no greasy look at all. I am too shy to ask what the regimen is but I sure want to.

Isn't there some sort of product that is similar to unsalted butter that is used?

keez1979

Alot of the Ethiopian ladies I know have naturally curly hair with LOTS of moisture! I work with two sisters and they have the most beautiful hair.

Nessa

Shoo, if I lived by those Ethopian ladies, I would be asking them a whole lot, but I got thick hair like them, my hair is too thick, but short.

brandy

Well I've got Nigerian relatives and I lived there for a while so I agree with you that some Nigerians could grow their hair very fast. And you know what?, a couple have waist length hair
. Nigerians from the Northern part have hair textures 3c to 2a and those from the south eastern parts have 4b to 3a hair textures. My cousins have 4a to 3a hair types and my auty's hair grows about 13 inches or more in a year
. I think it's in the genes but northern Nigerians drink a lot of fresh milk and south-easthern Nigerians eat a lot of fresh fish and fresh vegetables.

Nessa

Yeah that's what I thought, because I use to live there for 6 months, my hair grew, and my aunties hair is bra strap length now. Her hair grows fast, I am a Nigerian, I just don't know why my hair isn't growing fast, my mom's hair is short too, but all my aunties, cousins, grandparents, have long hair, it's their humidity too. Because it is hot along there. My relatives live in Lagos, Port Harcourt, Anambra, and Rivers state.

[ QUOTE ]
Nessa said:
Shoo, if I lived by those Ethopian ladies, I would be asking them a whole lot, but I got thick hair like them, my hair is too thick, but short.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I could ask but I just don't know how rude that is to some cultures. I don't mean to sound racist, but when a white person asks me questions about my hair (how often do I wash it, how do I get it straight), I kind of put my walls up. So this might be offensive like that but I may just take my chances this weekend and ask a few ladies at a grocery store.

Nessa

Perfect peace,

Yes it would sound racist, but you know, if i had an Ethopian friend,(what i meant) I would ask her.

JazzAngel

I do have an Ethopian friend and I have also stopped a few to ask them how they care for their hair.

All seemed to use alot of Henna. They also apply olive oil to the hair after using the Henna. They also style with shea butter alot. That's it! But most of it is simply the genes.

And yes, they don't seem to mind have frizzy hair or braiding their hair. My friend has the same belief that most of us tend to have which is wash the hair only once a week. She braids it up for months at a time and lets it out in a big curly puff. It's natural now but before she had it relaxed with a mild relaxer.

It's really the genes