Ever heard of using beer to rollerset hair?

blackbarbie

I was sharing my new hair discoveries with my friend in another state earlier today telling her about how I learned about some new things from this board and got good results from using NTM and Rusk Smoother to set my hair. I went on and on telling her about and also telling her about some things that are good for moisturinzing. (She is not "officially" transitioning" or "stretching", but has a really nice texture of hair and goes months and months w/o relaxing; just trying to share some things with her to properly take care of it and make it more manageable).....Then she asked me if I had heard about using beer :beer5: to set your hair with. I asked her "beer and what"? She said just beer.:beer5: :beer5: She says she remembers back in the day her mother did it and she has also done it as well and your hair comes out bouncy and soft. I told her it seems like if you are just using beer, your hair would be all stiff and hard. (i don't know how I came to that conclusion??? don't ask??), but she says it's totatally the opposite. So now I am asking if any of you ladies have hear of it and if you would "happen" to have a can of beer around the house :beer: and would be able to look at the contents to see if it would be really harmful. I will more than likely try it next week, it's just that as I was talking to her, I was sitting under the dryer and had just finished setting my hair for this week....

Sounds kind of crazy, I know, but I am just curious....:lachen:

PrettyBrownEyes

I've heard of using beer in the hair as a rinse for shine and body. I have never tried it but, if you do please do share your review.

blackbarbie

PrettyBrownEyes said:
I've heard of using beer in the hair as a rinse for shine and body. I have never tried it but, if you do please do share your review.

PBE, in your hearing about it, did they just rinse their hair with it after they finished conditioning it? When I kept asking my friend about setting her hair with it, she just saying to use it straight up:lol: and not mix it with anything....Just wondering.... I plan to try it next weekend when I shampoo.

secretdiamond

I've heard of ppl using it to "take out" their relaxers when trying to go natural. But we all know that once hair is chemically processed it can't be reversed. So I'm guessing the beer just really really dries out the hair so much, making it look natural again. I dunno. HTH.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Hey, I say don't knock it til u try it. The monistat 7 has been tried and tested true by some. My hubby would prob have a heart attack if I used any of his beer on my head! :lachen: He is already suspicious of my MTG. ;)

blackbarbie

oglorious1 said:
First Monistat 7 for growth, now beer for rollersets...ugh WHAT NEXT!!!

Hey, don't shoot the messenger!!!:wasntme: . I wasn't promoting it; I just asked the question; believe me, I was just as shocked as you were when I heard it. My friend is saying that her hair was soft and bouncy and reports here are saying that they have heard of it possibly stripping the hair and drying it out, so I was just trying to get opinions. This is also (the beer concoction) coming from a person that doesn't gives a rat's ass about her hair so we are not talking about someone that is trying the "next best thing" on their hair every week. It just came up in conversation with her as I was trying to give her some hair tips.....................

:spank: Sorry for the question.....

chestnutblonde

This is so crazy because I was just talking to my mom about 10 mins ago about what products are good for your hair. She was saying that beer is good for your hair. She used to use it in her hair years ago and her hair was so shiny and bouncy. She also said cactus is good for your hair as well.

ccd

secretdiamond said:
I've heard of ppl using it to "take out" their relaxers when trying to go natural. But we all know that once hair is chemically processed it can't be reversed. So I'm guessing the beer just really really dries out the hair so much, making it look natural again. I dunno. HTH.

I heard that too....my aunt did this to my cousin years ago...her hair came out pretty dry:ohwell: I wouldnt try it

MizAvalon

I have heard of using beer to wash hair.

Honestly though I'm not a fan of using food products to give your hair some kind of desired look. Eggs, mayonnaise, beer and whatever else. I say just get yourself a good shampoo, conditioner, and leave-in and call it a day! Sheesh. :ohwell:

MelsWifey

Hair Fanatic
When I was younger I used beer on my hair for shine and I saw really great results. I didn't stick with it though. After I was a little more educated about hair I found out that over time the alcohol in the beer is drying. I think the alcohol is what sets the hair as well. Anyhow, about a year ago I boiled the alcohol out of the beer and put it in my shampoo for shine. My hair is pretty healthy now so I don't know if it really helped, but my suggestion is that if you do use it be sure to get the alcohol out.

HTH

foxybrownsugar

ppl have been using beer rinses/hairsets for awhile now. I believe since the 70s. There is even a beer, egg, & honey poo bar at chagrin valley. :)

MizAvalon

foxybrownsugar said:
ppl have been using beer rinses/hairsets for awhile now. I believe since the 70s. There is even a beer, egg, & honey poo bar at chagrin valley. :)

People have been using beer and eggs in their hair for a VERY long time. Since the 1920's and 30's at least.

foxybrownsugar

Yeah i know they used eggs since then cuz my grandma told me. But i dont think very many used beer in the 20s since prohibition laws prevented ppl from buying/making beer at least in the south. I was told it became a big thing in the 70s with the hippie crowd. well, that what i was told.... :)

jodydreams

i heard that you have to let the beer "sit out" while its open to let it get flat then you rinse your hair with it. one of my friends told he she used Carib beer. she's from Trinidad.

MizAvalon

foxybrownsugar said:
Yeah i know they used eggs since then cuz my grandma told me. But i dont think very many used beer in the 20s since prohibition laws prevented ppl from buying/making beer at least in the south. I was told it became a big thing in the 70s with the hippie crowd. well, that what i was told.... :)

Girl you know folks was still getting their drink and "hair wash" on even during prohibition! :lol:

blackbarbie

I agree that people have been using food products in their hair for very many years, but I think it may have originated out of necessity. You knowthey say necessity is the mother of invention and back in the day when money may not have been readily available to buy "luxury" items, they always kept food in the house and maybe they found alternative uses for the food and after finding that it worked, stuck with it....

czyfaith77

MizAvalon said:
I have heard of using beer to wash hair.

Honestly though I'm not a fan of using food products to give your hair some kind of desired look. Eggs, mayonnaise, beer and whatever else. I say just get yourself a good shampoo, conditioner, and leave-in and call it a day! Sheesh. :ohwell:

I am not sure aboutthe beer. I have heard about it for some years but the eggs I know about and it works. All it is, is a form of animal protein, which you get in other product like the Dark and Lovely Cholesterol conditioner, Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair,etc. Only thing is is the bottle will say like hydrogylized wheat or animal protein (not saying the eggs is the animal protein but it is like it- which builds and strengthens hair strands). My mother used eggs on my hair when I was younger (let it dry like Aphogee) and it was very good and I am contemplating going back to it following up with a deep conditioner.:) And it is cheap, you can buy eggs by the tray (not the carton of 12) for well under 2 bucks)

czyfaith77

MelsWifey said:
When I was younger I used beer on my hair for shine and I saw really great results. I didn't stick with it though. After I was a little more educated about hair I found out that over time the alcohol in the beer is drying. I think the alcohol is what sets the hair as well. Anyhow, about a year ago I boiled the alcohol out of the beer and put it in my shampoo for shine. My hair is pretty healthy now so I don't know if it really helped, but my suggestion is that if you do use it be sure to get the alcohol out.

HTH

These are my sentiments. The only problem I would see is the alcohol. Beer has brewer's yeast in it which is actually good for your hair and many people take it as a vitamin supplement. I have seen it at Walmart and the Vitamin Shoppe. Read:
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsSupplements/BrewersYeastcs.html

Also, look up brewer's yeast on the search. There are quite a few posts for it. HTH.

You can purchase non-alcoholic beer instead of boiling the alcohol out. This may help with the smell too :).

I don't use it but I am not knocking it either :lol: . Blackbarbie, it was nothing wrong with you bringing that to the forum, sometimes we need reminders of information we read and learned about in past posts. It was a good thought and post for if nothing else discussion :) .

Last edited:

czyfaith77

Natrlchallenge said:
Hey, I say don't knock it til u try it. The monistat 7 has been tried and tested true by some. My hubby would prob have a heart attack if I used any of his beer on my head! :lachen: He is already suspicious of my MTG. ;)

I try my best not to knock stuff. I have never used Monistat before for anything and neither have I use Preparation H but, their was a lady on Oprah last season who used Preparation H as a wrinkle cream for crow's feet around her eyes and mouth and etc. Apparently, it worked because hers were minimum if barely visible. If you think about it it makes sense though. Preparation H is used to tighten the skin up from hemmoroids (sorry for being so graphic) to restore swollen glands and skin back to regular state.

Ok, with that being said please do not shoot me for saying it (with the "UGGGH!" and "That's gross" and long lists of stuff :lol: ) , I am just discussing what I learned on Oprah last season and what worked for this lady who had been using it for years.

hottopic

:lachen: It is sad and funny, what we would do for healthy hair. I have read before that beer was good for the hair as a rinse. Never tried it, but I read it on a website. Key word "read it on a website." Good luck if you try it. I don't like how beer taste, I don't want it near my hair.

sky_blu

oglorious1 said:
First Monistat 7 for growth, now beer for rollersets...ugh WHAT NEXT!!!

:lol: WTH knows?? People using MTG for everything rashes, elbows, buttcracks :lachen:

mkstar826

supersonic
:lachen: @ buttcracks

I've heard of using beer on hair but not for a rollerset...don't think i'll be trying it though because i hate to waste a good beer. yummy :beer:

Healthb4Length

I just saw this today on Channel 2 news. They said that basically would rinse your hair after you shampoo and this would give nice body and shine...who knew? Maybe I'll try it sometime in the future!

sprungonhairboards

I'm surprsied how many people have never heard of beer as a hair rinse. That
is so ancient, not some new fad at all. My grandmother use to wash my hair with it when I was little.

However, rinsing it out is one thing, I've never heard of using it to rollerset. All I think of when I hear that is gross it has to stink. Beer stinks. Old stale beer dried into hair seems like it really stinks.

lovechic

Natrlchallenge said:
Girl, you know you can't mess with a man's beer! :lachen:

blackbarbie

Here I am posing the question about beer on my head to rollerset it and I forgot that I can't even stand the smell/taste of beer!!! It's just that I got all excited about something new (to me that is) to use in my hair routine that I forgot all about that fact and I know i love me some good smelling hair when I am done with it....I am still curious though. May try to rinse with it first and after setting it doing my regular routine, see if I notice a difference. If I get bold, then I may go for setting it with it the next time! I will be doing another wash day this Thursday night and will go buy a can of beer just to rinse my hair with....

krissyprissy

OMYGOSH I remember my best friend using beer for her crimp wet sets back in high school. This was over ten years ago. Her hair styles use to last about two weeks using beer for sets. I would never use it now though. :ohwell: