Everybody Get In HERE! lol

Straight roots vs Puffy roots = real or weaved hair!

• Yes, with new growth people assume its my REAL hair!

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • No, with new growth people still thinks it’s a weave!

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I have no clue what people think! I don’t care!

Votes: 61 76.3%

• Total voters

MsBoinglicious

Hey ladies! It’s a slow day huh?

Okay! SO! The other day a co-worker and I were talking about LF’s. I told her I wanted a nice cheap one probably shoulder length for the winter. She asked why (I didn’t feel like explaining protective styling and this whole hair world we are in) so I just said “because I want to be lazy this winter”! So there is another co-worker here who is natural. She is older and she wears a puff most of the time. Her hair Is really nice and bouncy and when straight it’s a nice bob, above shoulders length. I told the other co-worker I wanted a LF kind of like her hair.

The co-worker was like “WHY, look at her roots she needs a perm on it”. I said “well okay, but I bet you no one ever asks her if her hair is real or not! And my co-worker was like “well, yeah that’s true”.

So Ladies (relaxed, natural and all those in between) when you flatiron/straighten your hair but you still a lil wave at the roots. Do you find people automatically assume it’s your REAL hair? And when your roots are pin straight people kind of assume it may be a weave?

I mean when I was relaxed and blond I would leave a lil wave at the roots on purpose so I didn’t have to worry about people asking if it was my real hair. People would say “ohhh your hair is so cute, it’s so long and pretty ooohh ahhh”. And when it was really straight at the roots it’s was “ooh is dat yo’ real hair gurl”. I mean who buys a straight weave with new growth...right?

Do you find this to be true or false for you?

Last edited:

winnettag

I voted don't know and don't care.
But I think the length dictates if people think it's real or not more than anything else.
If you have wavy roots people will either think it's new growth or that your natural hair doesn't match the fake hair. And if the roots are straight, that you did a good job blending or you have "good hair".

sunbubbles

I think if their was some "weave" marketers around this site. They would be taking that idea and runnin off into the horizon with it!! LOL next thing u know EVERYBODY would have a "puffy root weave"! lol

Makenzie

So Ladies (relaxed, natural and all those in between) when you flatiron/straighten your hair but you still a lil wave at the roots. Do you find people automatically assume it’s your REAL hair? And when your roots are pin straight people kind of assume it may be a weave?

Yep. All the time. I used to hate getting a a bone straight relaxer. *MY* hair was was limp and lifeless, but that is when I received the most weave checks.:rolleyes::lol:

varaneka

ppl always think I have a weave but now that it's short they would have to be a fool to think so lol

MsBoinglicious

I voted don't know and don't care.
But I think the length dictates if people think it's real or not more than anything else.
If you have wavy roots people will either think it's new growth or that your natural hair doesn't match the fake hair. And if the roots are straight, that you did a good job blending or you have "good hair".

okay yea i can see how that can be true as well.

msa

I think if their was some "weave" marketers around this site. They would be taking that idea and runnin off into the horizon with it!! LOL next thing u know EVERYBODY would have a "puffy root weave"! lol

There's already a puffy root weave...it's EP Relaxed Roots. Joy Bryant wears it and it's one of the reasons why people never though she had a weave. It's wavy at the roots but straight the rest of the way...so it kind of looks like you might have sweated out your real hair a little but are trying to keep it straight for a little longer.

mnemosyne

There's already a puffy root weave...it's EP Relaxed Roots. Joy Bryant wears it and it's one of the reasons why people never though she had a weave. It's wavy at the roots but straight the rest of the way...so it kind of looks like you might have sweated out your real hair a little but are trying to keep it straight for a little longer.

I remember reading that she mentioned it in that "rant" of hers after Oprah's hair show.

Taleah2009

LOL.. thats so funny. because the other day I was with my friend. And he kept staring at me, so I was like, what are you staring at??? He just laughed and said I am not used to seeing you with a weave, I looked at him like this is not a weave, this is my hair. (mind you, I dont have long or very thick hair by any means, its a little above shoulder length in the front and at the back of my neck in the back). I had a fresh rollerset so it was really curly BUT I am transitioning, ten months post, so needless to say my roots are terribly thick. I didnt blow out my roots or flat iron them, so I had just rocked the two textures. When I screamed at him and said it wasnt a weave, he going to point and say but look these two textures are different (as he Chris Rocks me and put his hands in my hair as if to prove its a weave) when he realized it wasnt i just looked at him and smh. IDK, i guess because it was so full from the rollerset and not the usual flat flat ironed look he thought it was a weave.

Stepiphanie

Lol at relaxed roots weave, they've thought of everything huh?? ..
People usually assume that a weave is my hair regardless of straight or puffy roots. But I do think that the puffy roots, makes the hair looks more "real" given that the hair color/texture matches otherwise.I have crazy thick hair, and workout regularly so I usually have puffy roots even when I wore my relaxed hair out.

WaistLengthDreams

I voted yes, NG = the assumption that it's real hair. Although my hair hasn't ever been weave checked (not long enough yet), when I see NG I assume real hair. I figured who would buy hair with NG already on it. However, now that I know about Joy Bryant, I may have to think twice about that...:ohwell:

Mane Event

A major dead giveaway for a weave are the ends...Especially when the hair is cheap. It has the stiff/seperated look, so I don't think the roots too much matter!

YankeeCandle

Hmm, I recently have gotten into half wigs, and this makes me think of my little sister's blunt objection: "The rest of the hair is not the same texture as the hair you left out." Mind you, it was a tightly curled halfwig, but it was not puffy, soft, and "halo"-y like the hair at the roots I left out.

So, I would wonder if there was a half wig mixed in somewhere in there (unless the puffiness was all down a center part or something).

I uses to hate, hate, hate, puffy roots with my flat-ironed/pressed hair, but now I'm kind of getting to like them. I don't really want stick-straight hair even when it's "the straight look," if that makes sense.