Everyday Hair...The Pretty, The Nappy, The Crazy...Post Your Hair RIGHT NOW!!!

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
You give me so much hope! I would definitely keep this up for 4 to 5 years, mostly because it's simple and easy and my hair has to be in a bun to work in the hospital anyway (med school).

I keep my hair in the twists from detangling when I wash it. I also keep my hair in sections when I detangle. If my hair was in twists, I leave those in and detangle one twist at a time. This week I wore a loose hair bun out of boredom and I still sectioned my hair prior to detangling. My hair is too thick to do anything without sections, lol. I would definitely miss a part of it or suffer from tangling.

I don't use shea butter anymore though. I tried it many years ago and I didn't like how it felt in my hair. Mango butter and olive butter are a go, though.

TBL in 2021. That would be the best belated graduation gift of life. :):)

The interesting thing about shea butter is that it has residual effects or impacts. I mean that even if one stops using it in one's journey, it still seems to be a factor of super long [afro-textured] hair. It seems its most potent and effective when used at the beginning of one's journey, which is the case for you.

:party::congrats::present::dance7:

Well, let me be the first to congratulate you on your future accomplishment(s). In my book, it's a done deal: both the medical school graduation and the tailbone hair length. Your medical school graduation pictures are going to look fabulous with that tailbone length hair laying on top of your gown, hanging long from underneath your cap. If you can, try to choose a cap and gown that are not black so that one can better see the contrast between them and your hair in your pictures. For the pictures, you'll have a choice, so that's why I'm reminding you of one of the reasons why you may not want to pick black. It may not be belated, either!

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
The interesting thing about shea butter is that it has residual effects or impacts. I mean that even if one stops using it in one's journey, it still seems to be a factor of super long [afro-textured] hair. It seems its most potent and effective when used at the beginning of one's journey, which is the case for you.

:party::congrats::present::dance7:

Well, let me be the first to congratulate you on your future accomplishment(s). In my book, it's a done deal: both the medical school graduation and the tailbone hair length. Your medical school graduation pictures are going to look fabulous with that tailbone length hair laying on top of your gown, hanging long from underneath your cap. If you can, try to choose a cap and gown that are not black so that one can better see the contrast between them and your hair in your pictures. For the pictures, you'll have a choice, so that's why I'm reminding you of one of the reasons why you may not want to pick black. It may not be belated, either!

Why do you think that is, @Chicoro, that shea butter seems to be a factor in super long hair? (I apologize if you've addressed this before.)

I was planning to invest in macadmia nut butter because of its description of being similar to sebum in terms of chemical structure. But if shea butter is an integral component for long hair . . . I might change my mind or go half and half.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Why do you think that is, @Chicoro, that shea butter seems to be a factor in super long hair? (I apologize if you've addressed this before.)

I was planning to invest in macadmia nut butter because of its description of being similar to sebum in terms of chemical structure. But if shea butter is an integral component for long hair . . . I might change my mind or go half and half.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Hi @YvetteWithJoy,
Thread title and link where I was made aware of the significance of shea butter is:
My Favorite Fotki album...Butt length Hair 3c/4a
https://longhaircareforum.com/threa...-butt-length-hair-3c-4a.742331/#post-20653831

This thread was started by @Napp. I noticed this particular thread because she mentioned my hair buddy, Herlucidsky, whose hair reaches past mid-thigh, stretched. In fact, the whole thread is about her. She is very generous with her information and she is someone who is very, very supportive of me. I love her hair!

But it was in post #11, by @ThatJerseyGirl, where TRUTH hit me in the face like a stack of bricks. She wrote:

"I know I have said this before, but I will say it again.

Shea butter seems to be the common denominator in hair growth. I can't think of this woman's name, I think Sera or something, but she used shea butter and so does Naptural85 and countless others. We should have a shea growth challenge with recipes, etc. just a suggestion."

The little light bulb went off when I read ThatJerseyGirl's observation. I said, "Oh my goodness! She is exactly right. I went back to 'my own' personal favorite women with afro-textured hair, not necessarily mentioned in that thread. And sure enough, every single one of them either used shea butter, or had used it at some critical juncture or in some important way, or at some important point, during their respective hair journeys.

Had it not been for @ThatJerseyGirl , I would have never thought about this or noticed this.

I've been a shea butter hater most of my time on LHCF because I was ignorant about how to mix it down correctly. For 'me', it comes out fabulous when you let it sit at room temperature and then blend it with an electric, wire whisk, along with coconut oil[ which is critical for imparting 'fluff'] and whatever else you want to add. I used to melt it down on the stove in a double boiler , then mix it in my blender: WRONG WAY! And it always came out gritty. It's the little things that can shift one to success. It's those little bits of nuggets of knowledge that can make a tremendous difference in the outcome. I just learned how to mix it and use it in 2015/2016. Now, I buy it 1 kilogram at a time.

Why do you think that shea butter seems to be a factor in super long hair?

I believe there are several factors, not just one. The two (2) main ones are, I think shea butter protects the hair strand, specifically the proteins in the hair, from being broken down by the sun. It may even FORTIFY the hair over time, with continued use. The other one is that it provides lubrication for the hair strands.

My SOLE focus is on how to gain healthy, long length on afro-textured hair. If it is not related to that idea, I'm not interested! Thus, what I know to be true from my own research and studying, which is the premise of my book Grow IT, is that the longer one keeps the hair strand intact, and preserves the structure of the hair, the more of a chance one has to gain and retain healthy length. That tenet works for all hair, not just afro-textured hair. Shea butter does this by retarding the degradation of the protein on and in the hair strand because of the protective components within it [shea butter]. What those components are, I couldn't tell you.

I don't know if the other butters will or won't do these two, things. I personally prefer to follow and do what is 'proven'. In my experience, shea butter fits that condition. I've been doing my 'new' process since December 26th, 2016, which includes using shea butter in my routine. I'm only 6-7 months in and already my hair is probably the longest it has ever been in my life.

Thanks for asking the question. I had some additional AHA! moments because of it.

It's 2:55 am and I've got a plane to catch in the morning. This is all I have for now!

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Hi @YvetteWithJoy,
Thread title and link where I was made aware of the significance of shea butter is:
My Favorite Fotki album...Butt length Hair 3c/4a
https://longhaircareforum.com/threa...-butt-length-hair-3c-4a.742331/#post-20653831

This thread was started by @Napp. I noticed this particular thread because she mentioned my hair buddy, Herlucidsky, whose hair reaches past mid-thigh, stretched. In fact, the whole thread is about her. She is very generous with her information and she is someone who is very, very supportive of me. I love her hair!

But it was in post #11, by @ThatJerseyGirl, where TRUTH hit me in the face like a stack of bricks. She wrote:

"I know I have said this before, but I will say it again.

Shea butter seems to be the common denominator in hair growth. I can't think of this woman's name, I think Sera or something, but she used shea butter and so does Naptural85 and countless others. We should have a shea growth challenge with recipes, etc. just a suggestion."

The little light bulb went off when I read ThatJerseyGirl's observation. I said, "Oh my goodness! She is exactly right. I went back to 'my own' personal favorite women with afro-textured hair, not necessarily mentioned in that thread. And sure enough, every single one of them either used shea butter, or had used it at some critical juncture or in some important way, or at some important point, during their respective hair journeys.

Had it not been for @ThatJerseyGirl , I would have never thought about this or noticed this.

I've been a shea butter hater most of my time on LHCF because I was ignorant about how to mix it down correctly. For 'me', it comes out fabulous when you let it sit at room temperature and then blend it with an electric, wire whisk, along with coconut oil[ which is critical for imparting 'fluff'] and whatever else you want to add. I used to melt it down on the stove in a double boiler , then mix it in my blender: WRONG WAY! And it always came out gritty. It's the little things that can shift one to success. It's those little bits of nuggets of knowledge that can make a tremendous difference in the outcome. I just learned how to mix it and use it in 2015/2016. Now, I buy it 1 kilogram at a time.

Why do you think that shea butter seems to be a factor in super long hair?

I believe there are several factors, not just one. The two (2) main ones are, I think shea butter protects the hair strand, specifically the proteins in the hair, from being broken down by the sun. It may even FORTIFY the hair over time, with continued use. The other one is that it provides lubrication for the hair strands.

My SOLE focus is on how to gain healthy, long length of afro-textured hair. It it is not related to that idea, I'm not interested! Thus, what I know to be true from my own research and studying, which is the premise of my book Grow IT, is that the longer one keeps the hair strand intact, and preserves the structure of the hair, the more of a chance one has to gain and retain healthy length. That tenet works for all hair, not just afro-textured hair. Shea butter does this by retarding the degradation of the protein on and in the hair strand because of the protective components within it [shea butter]. What those components are, I couldn't tell you.

I don't know if the other butters will or won't do these two, things. I personally prefer to follow and do what is 'proven'. In my experience, shea butter fits that condition. I've been doing my 'new' process since December 26th, 2016, which includes using shea butter in my routine. I'm only 6-7 months in and already my hair is probably the longest it has ever been in my life.

Thanks for asking the question. I had some additional AHA! moments because of it.

It's 2:55 am and I've got a plane to catch in the morning. This is all I have for now!

@Chicoro, wow!

This detail is super helpful. Thank you so much for it.

Safe travels!

MzSwift

OMG, thank you so much for this little tidbit!!! :urock:
I have been in this hair game since 2009 and I kept trying to give Shea butter a chance, not just for my hair but for my family's skin care as well. I bought cheap and expensive butter. I just gave away my last POUNDS of shea butter because my mixes were always gritty. I'm going to give this a try at room temp. I really hope this is the solution. I'm looking to make a natural sunscreen for my family with a Shea butter base. *fingers crossed*

Phoenix14

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
SERIOUSLY! What's your regimen? What other than defined curls have you found with your oil rinsing?
My current regimen is here. I use herbal tea rinses on occastion, raw aloe (all over, scalp only, or mixed with a light oil for twists) and clarify with thick oat water every 4-6 weeks.

I gave up conditioners (and shampoos for now) because they gave my scalp flakes, due to being allergic to the coconut-derived chemicals in them. Certain oils leave a film behind (I suspect are the fatty alcohols) that condition my hair and seal in moisture; other oils penetrate and soften my hair, but do not seal in moisture. I am trialing a bunch of oils to see which ones do what.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Ms. @Sharpened, what exactly did you apply in the fourth picture, and how? TIA!!! :smile:
I had used raw aloe all over prior to oil rinsing with my Castor Mix and twisted it up. On the next day, I decided to see what using gel on damp hair would do to it. I dampened it with catnip tea spray and raked Wetline Xtreme Gel into it by sections. That pic is day 5.

Wetline Xtreme Gel contains some questionable ingredients, so I use it sparingly.

guyaneseyankee

@guyaneseyankee what were you looking for? Have you tried perm rods yet, or is that curl too tight for you? I keep looking at them, but not buying.

I think I'm delusional as all. I'm used to long hair, and watching videos of longer hair. So I expect to have longer curls too. MY HAIR IS SHORT. Accept it. For now....
IDK what I'm looking for. Hair down my back perhaps. My hair though LOL

I used to have the authentic curlformers from Sally's $70; gave them away. These that I just bought the bootleg, I believe work just as well. Just the wand is garbage. But I was supplied with like 4 others. I guess they know that they ain't worth a damn. for $30, I'm satisified.

I did a rollerset once, but no to the permrods. I'm just playing in my hair.

Looking at the picture above. I think I know what I did wrong. I twisted the roots too much. And my ends although I did detangle and brush them out, I'm natural Hair texture to be considered. Plus that picture was two days old. I put the curls in on Saturday, but didn't break them open until Monday morning.

Last night, I went to the beach, you should see what my hair looks like today.....:lachen: