Examining Revelations and the endtimes

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
The Apostle John had been exiled by the Roman government to the tiny island of Patmos sometimes around 90-96 AD. During his two-year confinement, he had an amazing vision similar to prophets of old. The question is what time frame were the events in Revelation were supposed to occur, or were we to see the whole affair as a metaphor?

Why was Revelation included in the Bible? I think it is because much of what John mentions about the time prior to Christ's coming reign on Earth can be verified by both the OT and NT. Could it be that John's vision contained the information Daniel was not allowed to document?

momi

The Apostle John had been exiled by the Roman government to the tiny island of Patmos sometimes around 90-96 AD. During his two-year confinement, he had an amazing vision similar to prophets of old. The question is what time frame were the events in Revelation were supposed to occur, or were we to see the whole affair as a metaphor?

Why was Revelation included in the Bible? I think it is because much of what John mentions about the time prior to Christ's coming reign on Earth can be verified by both the OT and NT. Could it be that John's vision contained the information Daniel was not allowed to document?

Thanks for the new thread :spinning:

I will post this evening after bible study.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
wow! Great topic, Nymphe! I'm in as well...but I also have limited time and will come back later this evening. Subscribing...

God bless

momi

I dont believe these are metaphors - actual events and seasons of time.

10On the Lord's Day I was in the Spirit, and I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet, 11which said: "Write on a scroll what you see and send it to the seven churches: to Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia and Laodicea."

This vision and later letter was to be sent specifically to the 7 churches. During the time Daniel was written it was not the "church age"... these churches existed during the church age. Also, they were experiencing persecution and needed a refreshing Word of hope and assurance of things that were to come.

I am rustier than I thought with my eschatology than I thought...

Crown

Not a metaphor but an allegory.

Crown

What would the allegory represent?

1.1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John...

1.19 Write the things which thou hast seen,
and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
This brings up the question: is the Bible an allegory or literal? It is both. In order to interpret Revelation, we need to know the symbolism used and why certain phrases from both the OT and NT are used.

Revelation 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:
"...must shortly come to pass..." seen as a literal interpretation makes no sense because He has not returned yet, as He has stated He would within the NT.

2 Peter 3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
God is spirit, everlasting, so He does not need to follow the same clock we do. Can we say that Revelation deal with the time period between the time it was recorded until His return?

HeChangedMyName

What time frame were the events in Revelation were supposed to occur?
No body knows.

Matthew 24
33So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.

34Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.
35Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away. 36But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

Were we to see the whole affair as a metaphor?
It is both. We can see it figuratively now and recognize our situations and make necessary changes while we have time, but when the end comes, it will literally happen as it is written. Verse 1b clearly says these things will come to pass.

Revelation 1
1The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:
2Who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw.

Why was Revelation included in the Bible?
It is a blessing for those of us to read it and accept it as truth.

Revelation 1
3Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.

Could it be that John's vision contained the information Daniel was not allowed to document?

IMO, no. John's Revelation is something different, although in the same vein of end times. Daniel's book is too a blessing but it is to bless those who can wait. Notice verses 11-12 speaking about a difference in time frame. There is a 45 day time frame there. Now, we all know that God's time isn't like our own so it would be intersting to learn the significance of these time frames. Numbers 28:1-8 speaks about the daily sacrafice. It is also interesting to note that God's days and our days are not the same.

2 Peter
8But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. 9The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

Daniel 12
10Many shall be purified, and made white, and tried; but the wicked shall do wickedly: and none of the wicked shall understand; but the wise shall understand.

11And from the time that the daily sacrifice shall be taken away, and the abomination that maketh desolate set up, there shall be a thousand two hundred and ninety days.
12Blessed is he that waiteth, and cometh to the thousand three hundred and five and thirty days. 13But go thou thy way till the end be: for thou shalt rest, and stand in thy lot at the end of the days.

Last edited:

Crown

Can we do this step by step, with no anticipation?

Let’s not see an allegory, where there is not.
The Revelation begins by an introduction, no allegory here for me. The seven churches were real and existent (and can be compared with Christian churches through all the NT).

The first figure starts in :
1.12 And I turned to see the voice that spake with me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks

We all know who is the Son of Man.

1.16 And he had in his right hand seven stars

We know about the sword in the verse 16.

And the explanation, candlesticks and stars, is given right after :
1.20 The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches.

The content of the seven Letters is plain and direct.

Someone else ?

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Sorry for being late. When I get sick, I have trouble focusing. My mind was bouncing all over the place. I can't wait to get to the woman with the twelve stars. Don't be surprised if I revisit some stuff later.

PM me if the map is too big for your screen.

Revelation 1:2 who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw.
John states he was told by Jesus Himself to record God’s word “…and of all things that he saw.” (prophecy similar to Nebuchadnezzar and Daniel’s dream). Jesus singled out Peter, James and John when He invited them to see His full glory alongside Moses and Elijah. (Matthew 17:1-8) This tells us whatever the revelation is not only important but from a source Jesus chose Himself.

Revelation 1:3 Blessed is he that reads, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.
We are blessed by taking this prophecy into our minds [through our eyes (reads) and/or our ears (hear)] and our hearts (…keep those things which are written therein…). This tells me this is of great import. Why? “…for the time is at hand.”

What time is at hand (near)? Christ’s second coming? John’s death? The end of the time of the Apostles on Earth?

Revelation 1:4 John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be unto you, and peace, from Him which is, and which was, and which is to come; and from the seven Spirits which are before His throne;

John wishes them grace and peace from the One who reigns forever and the seven Spirits. Who are these Spirits? Remember the lampstand (candlestick) with 7 lamps Moses had made for the Temple in Exodus (25:31-37; 37:17-23)?

Zechariah 4:1-6 Then the angel who talked with me returned and wakened me, as a man is wakened from his sleep. And he said to me, "What do you see?" So I said, "I am looking, and there is a lampstand of solid gold with a bowl on top of it, and on the stand seven lamps with seven pipes to the seven lamps. Two olive trees are by it, one at the right of the bowl and the other at its left." So I answered and spoke to the angel who talked with me, saying, "What are these, my lord?" Then the angel who talked with me answered and said to me, "Do you not know what these are?" And I said, "No, my lord." So he answered and said to me:

"This is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel: 'Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,' says the Lord of hosts."

Zechariah 4:10 “For who has despised the day of small things? For they shall rejoice, and shall see the plummet in the hand of Zerubbabel with those seven; they are the eyes of the LORD, which run to and fro through the whole earth.
They are God. I will come back to this.

Revelation 1:5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,
Jesus gave a perfect, simplified account of God’s will. His death and resurrection gave us a hope man could never give (although they are trying). He could take over the world in an instant, having every knee lower in His presence. He became the pure, spiritually unblemished Passover sacrifice for our sakes, because He loved us at much.

Revelation 1:6 And has made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to Him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
Kings = serving leaders providing order (dominion) and priests = spiritual serving leaders (glory). Notice that John called Jesus, God. They are one in the same.

Revelation 1:7 Behold, He comes with clouds; and every eye shall see Him, and they also which pierced Him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of Him. Even so, Amen.
John repeated what Jesus had said about His return (Mark 13:26, Mark 14-62, Matthew 24:30, Matthew 26:64).

Revelation 1:8 “I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending,” said the Lord, “which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.”
Isaiah 41:4, 43:10, 43:13, 44:6, 44:7, 46:4, 46:10, 48:12

Revelation 1:9 I, John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.
John saw this while on the isle of Patmos. The ancient Romans liked to banish certain prisoners to tiny remote islands.

Revelation 1:10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's Day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,
He was worshiping on the Sabbath when he heard a loud voice.

Revelation 1:11 saying, “I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last. What you see, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia: Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamos, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia, and Laodicea.”
Patmos is located near Asia Minor (Turkey), where seven churches were located. But why these churches?

Revelation 1:12 I turned around to see the voice that was speaking to me. And when I turned I saw seven golden lampstands,
Notice seven separate lampstands (candlesticks).

Revelation 1:13-15 And in the midst of the seven lampstands was one like the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps [chest] with a golden girdle [wide belt or sash]. His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire. And his feet like fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.
Christ in all His glory. Will this be His appearance upon His return?

Revelation 1:16 In his right hand he held seven stars, and out of his mouth came a sharp double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its strength.
What are the seven stars? In the OT, God told Abraham his descendents will be as numerous as the stars (Genesis 15:5, 22:17; Nehemiah 9:23). Numbers 24:17 spoke of a star becoming a king who would crush the enemies of Israel. Lucifer (Satan) was called the morning star (Isaiah 14:12).

Being in His right hand, it is something good in action (John 21:5-6, Leviticus 14:16, 14:27) and a symbol of His power (Psalm 110:1; Matthew 22:44 , 26:64; Mark 12:36, 16:19; Luke 20:42-43).

The double-edged sword = the Word. (Isaiah 49:2, Matthew 10:34-36, Luke 12:51-53, Hebrews 4:12, Ephesians 6:17)

Revelation 1:17-18 And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. And He laid His right hand upon me, saying, “Fear not; I am the first and the last. I am He that lives, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.”
I can’t blame John for passing out. Jesus reassured and reminded him who He is and His mastery over death.

Revelation 1:19 Write the things which you have seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter.
Jesus told John to record what he saw for us in that time and for the future until His return. I think that establishes the timeline for us.

Revelation 1:20 The mystery of the seven stars that you saw in my right hand and of the seven golden lampstands is this: The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands are the seven churches.
So the stars are angels. Here is my interpretation: Instead of the seven Spirits of God residing with Israel (the single lampstand with the seven lamps), they will be wherever people make a sincere declaration to repent and accept the covering sacrifice Jesus had made for them (separate lampstands). Jesus will be in the midst of them.

But why did He choose these particular churches? Because they were the furthest away from Jerusalem? Because they were close by?

Last edited:

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
In the next two chapters, Jesus addresses the seven churches, commending and admonishing each one.

Revelation 2:1 To the angel of the church in Ephesus write: These are the words of Him Who holds the seven stars in His right hand and walks among the seven golden lampstands:
Why address the angel?

Revelation 2:2-3 I know your deeds, your hard work and your perseverance. I know that you cannot tolerate wicked men, that you have tested those who claim to be apostles but are not, and have found them false. You have persevered and have endured hardships for My name, and have not grown weary.
Praise for their long-suffering defense of the faith.

Revelation 2:4-5 Yet, I hold this against you: You have forsaken your first love. Remember the height from which you have fallen! Repent and do the things you did at first. If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place.
Looks like they were so busy defending, they slipped in their self-evaluation (Matthew 5:14, Luke 1:6, Philippians 2:15). The church will lose His Spirit (protection? blessing?) if they don’t get it together. This is one of those passages that make me wonder if salvation can be lost.

Revelation 2:6 But you have this in your favor: You hate the practices of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.
Who are the Nicolaitans and why does He hate their practices? There is debate as to who these people are, but various sources do agree that this group practiced a false doctrine. Was He speaking of the Gnostics?

Revelation 2:7He, who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.
Listen to what He has to say about the churches. Eternity to those who persevere!

Revelation 2:8-9 To the angel of the church in Smyrna write: These are the words of Him who is the First and the Last, who died and came to life again. I know your works, tribulation, and poverty, (but you are rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.
Despite their troubles, the church holds true (Matthew 5:3, 2 Corinthians 6:10, 8:9, James 2:5). Jesus has not forgotten about the Jews’ sacrilege (John 8:37-40).

Revelation 2:10 Do not be afraid of what you are about to suffer. I tell you, the devil will put some of you in prison to test you, and you will suffer persecution for ten days. Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you the crown of life.
The passage is straight-forward. Is your faith strong enough to suffer every form of torment until death? There is a reason we are called not to love people and things more than God.

Revelation 2:11 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. He who overcomes will not be hurt at all by the second death.
What is the second death? This is the first time it is mentioned in the Bible. We already know, so we can leave it for later.

Revelation 2:12 To the angel of the church in Pergamum write: These are the words of Him who has the sharp, double-edged sword.
The Sword is mentioned again, but why?

Revelation 2:13 I know your works, and where you dwell, even where Satan's seat is. You hold fast My name, and have not denied My faith, even in those days wherein Antipas was My faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwells.
Even though the church had resided in a corrupt land and suffered the brutal loss of a brother, it still kept its faith in Him.

Revelation 2:14 But I have a few things against you. You have there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumbling block before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed to idols, and to commit fornication.
Remember Balaam from Numbers 22-24, 31:8, 31:16? What was his doctrine?

Micah 3:5 This is what the LORD says, As for the prophets who lead my people astray, if one feeds them, they proclaim 'peace'; if he does not, they prepare to wage war against him.

Micah 3:11 The heads thereof judge for reward, and the priests thereof teach for hire, and the prophets thereof divine for money. Yet will they lean on the LORD, and say, Is not the LORD among us? None evil can come on us.

2 Peter 2:15 Which have forsaken the right way, and are gone astray, following the way of Balaam the son of Beor, who loved the wages of unrighteousness.

Jude 1:11 Woe to them! For they have gone in the way of Cain, and ran greedily after the error of Balaam for reward, and perished in the gainsaying [rebellion] of Korah (Numbers 16:1-40).
Simply put, trying to twist God’s will for one’s own financial advantage while leading others into destruction.

Revelation 2:15 So have you also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate.
He really dislike Gnostic outlook and you need to recognize it, since He mentioned it twice.

Revelation 2:16 Repent; or else I will come to you quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.
Handle those subversive elements among His flock or He will. That explains why the Sword was mentioned again.

~Continued~

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Revelation 2:17 He that has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit said to the churches; To him that overcomes will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knows saving he that receives it.
The Lord created manna for His people (Exodus 16) and had Moses tell Aaron place a portion of it in the Ark of the Covenant for generations to come (Exodus 16:32-33, Hebrews 9:4). The bread, the food, He sent for those forty years were shadows of the future.

Later, He sent us better food: His Word in the flesh (John 6:31-35, 6:48-51, 58). Like the forty days Moses fasted in the presence of the Lord (Exodus 34:28) and the forty years of wandering to test the Israelites (Numbers 32:13, 1 Corinthians 10:5-6, Hebrews 3:16-18), He fasted for forty days (Matthew 4:2) and reminded Satan (and us) the spiritual food from God (His Word) will always be most important (Deuteronomy 8:3, 16; 1 Corinthians 10:1-4). This is why the breaking of the bread is done, to remind us of Who He is to us.

So what is the hidden manna? His promise of everlasting life because we will be a part of Him— no need to study our Bibles, checking to see if our lives are still up to par, repentance, etc. We will be free of those earthly concerns. Who wouldn’t want to praise Him forever after that?

During that time, a judge rendered a verdict by placing a stone in an urn—black for guilty, white for acquitted. This is where the practice of blackballing came from. Jesus handing us one is our acquittal after judgment. What is the new name written upon it? Was Joseph’s rise to leadership (Genesis 41:39-45) a foreshadow of our future?

Revelation 2:18-19 And to the angel of the church in Thyatira write: These things said the Son of God, who has His eyes like to a flame of fire, and His feet are like fine brass. I know your works, and your love, faith, ministry and patience, and that your last works are more than the first.
The church has had great spiritual growth.

Revelation 2:20-21 Notwithstanding, I have a few things against you. You suffer that woman Jezebel, which calls herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed to idols. I gave her space to repent of her fornication; she repented not.
Jezebel (1 Kings 16:31-2 Kings 9:37) was Elijah’s main nemesis, who brought her pagan practice with her to Israel and encouraged her new people to follow them. This caused many people to sin because the focus was on the tangible (idols, sex, and weather) and not God (the unseen). The false prophetess has been allowed to lead people astray without correction. There is debate about her being an actual Christian, but why did Jesus not focus solely on the ones who were following her teachers? Perhaps to remind us this distraction could happen to anyone anywhere?

We are blessed in his loving patience towards us, giving us plenty of time to repent (Exodus 34:6-7, Numbers 14:18, Deuteronomy 4:31, Nehemiah 9:17, Psalm 86:15, Psalm 103:8, Psalm 108:4, Psalm 145:8, Joel 2:13, Romans 2:4-5, 2 Peter 3:9).

Revelation 2:22-23 Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds. I will strike her children dead. Then all the churches will know that I am He who searches hearts and minds, and I will repay each of you according to your deeds.
Time has run out for her. She will fall ill and lose her children to death (2 Kings 2:23-24). Those following her better repent or they will suffer as well. The other churches will understand He is serious about us avoiding this behavior. This brings up the question I asked earlier: can we lose our salvation?

Revelation 2:24-25 But to you I say, and to the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine, and which have not known the depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put on you none other burden. But that which you have already, hold fast till I come.
When I read this part, I get the impression He is referring to a church leader, not an angel, since the angels who are going to sin already have. The ones who have stayed on the narrow path will not have to worry but to maintain their journey.

Revelation 2:26-29 He that overcomes, and keeps my works to the end, to him will I give power over the nations.And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father and I will give him the morning star. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.
The part confirms His promise to us of what will transpire when we join Him [the true Morning Star (Numbers 24:17, 2 Peter 1:19)] in the Final Battle (Psalm 2:9, Isaiah 30:14, Psalm 110:2-4).

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Revelation 3:1 And to the angel of the church in Sardis write: These things said He that has the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know your works, that you have a name that you live, and are dead.
He mentioned the seven Spirits (lampstands) and stars—somebody is in trouble. He knows their true nature. They may have believed their church was alive because of they were in a famous city (capital of Lydia), but were dead spiritually. What does being spiritually dead mean?

Mark 12:30-31 And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength: this is the first commandment. And the second is like, namely this: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

1 John 3:14 We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love the brothers. He that loves not his brother stays in death.

2 Peter 1:5-7 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith, virtue; and to virtue, knowledge; and to knowledge, temperance; and to temperance, patience; and to patience, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, charity (love).
Also see John 3:11, 3:21, 8:12, 8:55; Matthew 25:35-46; 2 Corinthians 4:4; 1 John 1:6-7, 3:17, 2:4, 2:9-11, 4:7, 4:11-12, 4:20. Basically, they were going through the motions while lacking loving-kindness for God, themselves and/or each other.

Revelation 3:2 Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found your works perfect before God.
Pay attention and improve what good they already have done because the church was ready to die.

Revelation 3:3 Remember therefore how you have received and heard. Hold fast and repent. If therefore you shall not watch, I will come on you as a thief, and you shall not know what hour I will come on you.
Mark His word—either repent or He will remove the lampstand (Spirit) without warning (Matthew 24:42-44, 25:1-30; Mark 13:33-35; Luke 12:38-39, 21:34-36; 1 Thessalonians 5:2; 2 Peter 3:10).

Revelation 3:4 You have a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with Me in white: for they are worthy.
Despite their sins, some in the church have obeyed and loved, worthy to be with Him forever.

Revelation 3:5-6 He that overcomes, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before My Father, and before His angels. He that has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit said to the churches.
Those that love and obey will become clean spirits and not lose their place in the Book of Life. He will triumphantly present them to Our Father and the angels.

Revelation 3:7 And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write: These things said He that is holy, He that is true, He that has the key of David, He that opens, and no man shuts; and shuts, and no man opens;
Jesus is announcing that He is the fulfillment of Isaiah’s prophecy (Isaiah 22:22), that is He is God (Job 12:14), and repeating what He said about Himself while here (Matthew 16:19, 18:18)

Revelation 3:8 I know your works: behold, I have set before you an open door, and no man can shut it. For you have a little strength, and have kept my word, and have not denied my name.
They had been given a great opportunity because of their faith and in spite of their weaknesses. Was that opportunity spreading the Gospels to other Gentiles (Acts 14:27, 1 Corinthians 16:9, 2 Corinthians 2:12, Colossians 4:3)?

Revelation 3:9 Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie [Revelation 2:9]; behold, I will make them to come and worship before your feet, and to know that I have loved you.
The hypocritical Jews, who claim to love God, one day will be humbled before this beloved church (Psalm 25:3, 37:9, 72:9 ; Isaiah 14:1-2, 43:4, 45:14, 45:17, 49:23, 60:14; John 17:23; ).

Revelation 3:10-11 Because you have kept the word of My patience, I also will keep you from the hour of temptation, which shall come on all the world, to try them that dwell on the earth. Behold, I come quickly. Hold that fast which you have, that no man take your crown.
Since they have endured in obedience and love (Daniel 12:12, Luke 8:15, Col. 1:11, 2 Thess. 1:4, 1 Timothy 6:11) and if they remain so, He will protect them from the period of trouble soon headed their way and reward them (Proverbs 4:23; Matthew 10:22; Mark 4:16-17, 13:13; Luke 21:19; Acts 14:22; Philippians 2:16; Hebrews 6:12, 10:36; James 5:10-11; Jude 1:3—there are a bunch of other passages that name this promise not listing them all).

Revelation 3:12-13 Him that overcomes will I make a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go no more out. I will write on him the name of My God, and the name of the city of My God, which is New Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God: and I will write on him my new name. He that has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit said to the churches.
Perseverance will lead to them becoming an example of strength and hold a place of honor, forevermore. The three names are titles of royalty in His kingdom. Also see Isaiah 4:2-3, Amos 9:11-12 and Obadiah 1:17.

Revelation 3:14 And to the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write: These things said the Amen, the faithful and true Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God:
Jesus is the truth, will always speak truth, and was there at the beginning of everything, since He is the Beginning (John 1:1-4, Colossians 1:18).

Revelation 3:15-16 I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were cold or hot. So then because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spit you out of My mouth.
This church was neither unreceptive (cold) nor passionate (hot) towards Christ. He loathes apathy (Romans 12:11) and threatened to remove Himself from them (John 1:16, 1 Corinthians 12:27, Ephesians 1:22-23, Colossians 1:18-19).

Revelation 3:17 Because you say, "I am rich, and have become wealthy, and have need of nothing," and you do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked.
They believe they do not need His blessings or help and don’t understand how disobedient they are.

Revelation 3:18 I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white raiment, that you may be clothed, and that the shame of your nakedness do not appear; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see.
He advised them to turn to Him to help rid them of their apathy (Isaiah 55:1; Malachi 3:3; Matthew 13:44, 22:11-13; Colossians 2:3; 1 Peter 1:7; 1 John 2:20).

Revelation 3:19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
Love corrects and embraces correction, be earnest in your repentance (Deuteronomy 8:5; 2 Samuel 7:14; Proverbs 3:11-12, 13:24; Job 5:17; 1 Corinthians 11:32; 2 Chronicles 33:11-13; Hebrews 12:5-11).

Revelation 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock. If any man hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with Me.
He is near and will come into you when want Him (Matthew 24:33; Luke 12:36; John 10:1-11, 14:23).

Revelation 3:21-22 To him that overcomes will I grant to sit with Me in My throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with My Father in His throne. He that has an ear let him hear what the Spirit said to the churches.
Those who make it will be exalted beside Him and become a part of His family forever as He promised in Matthew 19:28, Luke 22:30, and John 16:33.

Anyone want to analyze these two chapters in greater depth?

Crown

Revelation 1:10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's Day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,
He was worshiping on the Sabbath when he heard a loud voice.

The same verse in French versions
Equivalent to KJV :
David Martin : 1.10 Or je fus [ravi] en esprit un jour de Dimanche, et j'entendis derrière moi une grande voix, comme [est le son] d'une trompette

Ostervald : 1.10 Je fus ravi en esprit, le jour du Seigneur, et j'entendis derrière moi une grande voix, comme celle d'une trompette
Same in the most common version, Louis Segond : le jour du Seigneur.

Other versions :
Darby : 1.10 Je fus en Esprit, dans la journée dominicale*, et j’ouïs derrière moi une grande voix, comme d’une trompette, disant
Note : 1.10 la journée du Seigneur (un dimanche)

Neufchatel : 1.10 Je fus ravi en esprit, le jour du Seigneur, et j'entendis derrière moi une forte voix, comme d'une trompette
Note : 1.10 Ou le dimanche. Le mot français dimanche a étymologiquement la même signification (dies dominica). Ce jour, ainsi nommé à cause de la résurrection du Seigneur, eut une grande importance aux yeux des chrétiens, dès les temps apostoliques (il est aussi mentionné dans [FONT=&quot]Actes 20.7 ; 1Corinthiens 16.2) ; ils pensaient que le retour de Christ et la résurrection des morts auraient lieu ce jour-là.[/FONT]

Semeur : 10 Le jour du Seigneur[n], l'Esprit de Dieu se saisit de moi, et j'entendis derrière moi une voix forte, pareille au son d'une trompette.
Note : Cette expression (jour dominical) est déjà appliquée au premier jour de la semaine (dimanche) par Ignace d'Antioche, un contemporain de Jean.
un contemporain de : a contemporary of

Other languages :
Biblia en Lenguaje Sencillo : 10 Pero un domingo, quedé bajo el poder del Espíritu Santo. Entonces escuché detrás de mí una voz muy fuerte, que sonaba como una trompeta.

Castilian : 10 Un domingo, estando yo en comunión con el Espíritu, oí detrás de mí una voz, vibrante como un toque de trompeta,

Haitian Creole Version : 10Yon jou dimanch, jou Mèt la menm, Lespri Bondye a pran m', mwen tande yon gwo vwa dèyè do m' ki sonnen tankou yon klewon.

La Parola è Vita : 10 Una domenica, giorno del Signore, fui rapito dallo Spirito e udii dietro di me una voce potente, come lo squillo di una tromba

Reina-Valera : 10 Estando yo en el Espíritu[y] en el día del Señor[z] oí detrás de mí una gran voz, como de trompeta
Note : Día del Señor: Esta expresión se usa aquí, por primera y única vez en el NT, para designar el primer día de la semana, es decir, el domingo

Sources : http://www.biblegateway.com/
[FONT=&quot] http://www.lueur.org/bible/bible-en-ligne.php[/FONT]

Bold : Sunday or the first day of the week or the Lord's day.

Crown

If you search Lord’s day (rev 1:10) : nothing in the OT and the NT (KJV).
This expression is translated by the day of the Lord or the day of Christ in the NT. (Act 2:20 ; 1Cor 5:5 ; 2Cor 1:14 ; 1Thes 5:2 ; 2Thes 2:2 ; 2Pi 3:10)

Some prophets (OT) have spoken about the day of the Lord.
Is. 13.6 Howl ye; for the day of the LORD is at hand; it shall come as a destruction from the Almighty.
Jer. 46.10 For this is the day of the Lord GOD of hosts, a day of vengeance, that he may avenge him of his adversaries: and the sword shall devour, and it shall be satiate and made drunk with their blood: for the Lord GOD of hosts hath a sacrifice in the north country by the river Euphrates.
Ez. 30.3 For the day is near, even the day of the LORD is near, a cloudy day; it shall be the time of the heathen.
Za. 14.1 Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.

Is the expression Lord’s day in Revelation 1:10 a specific day of the week ? Translated by Sunday in different versions of the Bible.
Or is it related to the second coming of Christ ? In this case :
Matt. 24.36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

Crown

Col. 2.16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: 2.17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ. 2.18 Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind, 2.19 And not holding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God. 2.20 Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,

If the body is in Christ, let’s look at the shadow and the Real.

The shadow
Ex. 12.5 Your lamb shall be without blemish, a male of the first year: ye shall take it out from the sheep, or from the goats: 12.6 And ye shall keep it up until the fourteenth day of the same month: and the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it in the evening. 12.7 And they shall take of the blood, and strike it on the two side posts and on the upper door post of the houses, wherein they shall eat it.
12.13 And the blood shall be to you for a token upon the houses where ye are: and when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and the plague shall not be upon you to destroy you, when I smite the land of Egypt.

Lev. 23.4 These are the feasts of the LORD, even holy convocations, which ye shall proclaim in their seasons. 23.5 In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is the LORD's passover.
23.9 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, 23.10 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When ye be come into the land which I give unto you, and shall reap the harvest thereof, then ye shall bring a sheaf of the firstfruits of your harvest unto the priest: 23.11 And he shall wave the sheaf before the LORD, to be accepted for you: on the morrow after the sabbath the priest shall wave it.
23.15 And ye shall count unto you from the morrow after the sabbath, from the day that ye brought the sheaf of the wave offering; seven sabbaths shall be complete: 23.16 Even unto the morrow after the seventh sabbath shall ye number fifty days; and ye shall offer a new meat offering unto the LORD.
23.27 Also on the tenth day of this seventh month there shall be a day of atonement: it shall be an holy convocation unto you; and ye shall afflict your souls, and offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD. 23.28 And ye shall do no work in that same day: for it is a day of atonement, to make an atonement for you before the LORD your God.
23.36 Seven days ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD: on the eighth day shall be an holy convocation unto you; and ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD: it is a solemn assembly; and ye shall do no servile work therein.
23.39 Also in the fifteenth day of the seventh month, when ye have gathered in the fruit of the land, ye shall keep a feast unto the LORD seven days: on the first day shall be a sabbath, and on the eighth day shall be a sabbath.

The Real
Mc. 14.12 And the first day of unleavened bread, when they killed the passover, his disciples said unto him, Where wilt thou that we go and prepare that thou mayest eat the passover?
Lu. 22.15 And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with youbefore I suffer:
Jn. 19.30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.
Mc. 16.9 Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils.
Jn. 20.17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.
Lu. 24.39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.
1Cor. 15.23 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.
[FONT=&quot]Rev. 5.12 Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing.[/FONT]

Last edited:

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Defining Babylon

The timeline structure of John's Revelation is not a linear one. God is not constrained by time as we are, so He carefully shows us things at different angles in order to get the full picture. All of His foreshadowing and prophecies are scattered throughout the ages to get us to study His Word and Him for understanding. When we don't, we get corruption and confusion (Nehemiah 1:7, Isaiah 1:2-4, and the extra rules of the Pharisees too numerous to type out). This is why I am going to do an overview of what Babylon is in Revelation 14:8 now. It will make sense when we examine who the two beasts of Revelation 13.

Ecclesiastes 1:9-11 The thing that has been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun. Is there any thing whereof it may be said, “See, this is new?” It has been already of old time, which was before us. There is no remembrance of former things; neither shall there be any remembrance of things that are to come with those that shall come after.

It has been said that prophecy fills one-third of the Bible. I disagree—the entire book is prophecy! Look at how many times history repeats itself within the book and God’s warnings and responses to it. If anything, the Old Testament demonstrates our failure to maintain righteousness and the need for a covering of grace. Prophecy is God’s way of reminding the world that this covering is important and will be important for generations to come until Christ’s promised return.

The second chapter of Daniel contains a prophetic dream first revealed to King Nebuchadnezzar and later to Daniel. Daniel gives the king its surface interpretation, but doesn’t know the deeper level, yet:

31 You, O king, saw, and behold a great image. This great image, whose brightness was excellent, stood before you; and the form thereof was terrible. 32 This image's head was of fine gold, his breast and his arms of silver, his belly and his thighs of brass, 33 His legs of iron, his feet part of iron and part of clay. 34 You saw till that a stone was cut out without hands, which smote the image on his feet that were of iron and clay, and broke them to pieces. 35 Then was the iron, the clay, the brass, the silver, and the gold, broken to pieces together, and became like the chaff of the summer threshing floors; and the wind carried them away, that no place was found for them: and the stone that smote the image became a great mountain, and filled the whole earth.

36 This is the dream; and we will tell the interpretation thereof before the king. 37 You, O king, are a king of kings: for the God of heaven has given you a kingdom, power, and strength, and glory. 38 And wherever the children of men dwell, the beasts of the field and the fowls of the heaven has he given into your hand, and has made you ruler over them all. You are this head of gold.

39 And after you shall arise another kingdom inferior to you, and another third kingdom of brass, which shall bear rule over all the earth.

40 And the fourth kingdom shall be strong as iron: for as much as iron breaks in pieces and subdues all things: and as iron that breaks all these, shall it break in pieces and bruise. 41 And whereas you saw the feet and toes, part of potters' clay, and part of iron, the kingdom shall be divided; but there shall be in it of the strength of the iron, for as much as you saw the iron mixed with miry clay. 42 And as the toes of the feet were part of iron, and part of clay, so the kingdom shall be partly strong, and partly broken. 43 And whereas you saw iron mixed with miry clay, they shall mingle themselves with the seed of men: but they shall not join one to another, even as iron is not mixed with clay.

44 And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever. 45 For as much as you saw that the stone was cut out of the mountain without hands, and that it broke in pieces the iron, the brass, the clay, the silver, and the gold; the great God has made known to the king what shall come to pass hereafter: and the dream is certain, and the interpretation thereof sure.

Why a metal statue?

Metals are important, especially for weaponry and money—symbols of power and wealth. There is a reason why heads of state and religious leaders are featured on coins and award metals. Throughout the Bible, statues are always related to idol worship. To portray the present and future kingdoms as one unit means this is the worship of leadership outside of God in an economic (1 Samuel 8:3, 1 Timothy 6:10, Hebrews 13:5), political (1 Kings 21:25, Matthew 4:8-9, John 12:31), and religious (Ezekiel 8, 2 Corinthians 4:4) manner. Satan must influence all three aspects in order to have full control over the world (Matthew 4:1-11, Mark 1:13).

~continued~

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Two more kingdoms identified

The adult human head makes up one-eighth of an average person’s height. Also, pure gold is very soft and not that useful back then. Was God indicating the short time remaining of Nebuchadnezzar’s kingdom and that the king would become soft in the head (Daniel 4:29-33)?

Silver is also soft metal, but more plentiful and useful than gold. Daniel survived Babylon’s foretold downfall to the Medes and Persia (Jeremiah 51:11, Daniel 5:25-31)

Some believe the brass (copper and zinc) was actually bronze (copper and tin), but either way we see a metal alloy, which is stronger than copper alone. Was this a mixture of peoples and might? Let’s check another one of Daniel’s prophecies:

1 In the third year of the reign of King Belshazzar a vision appeared to me, even to me Daniel, after that which appeared to me at the first. 2 And I saw in a vision; and it came to pass, when I saw, that I was at Shushan in the palace, which is in the province of Elam; and I saw in a vision, and I was by the river of Ulai. 3 Then I lifted up my eyes, and saw, and, behold, there stood before the river a ram which had two horns: and the two horns were high; but one was higher than the other, and the higher came up last. 4 I saw the ram pushing westward, and northward, and southward; so that no beasts might stand before him, neither was there any that could deliver out of his hand; but he did according to his will, and became great.

5 And as I was considering, behold, a he goat came from the west on the face of the whole earth, and touched not the ground: and the goat had a notable horn between his eyes. 6 And he came to the ram that had two horns, which I had seen standing before the river, and ran to him in the fury of his power. 7 And I saw him come close to the ram, and he was moved with choler against him, and smote the ram, and broke his two horns: and there was no power in the ram to stand before him, but he cast him down to the ground, and stamped on him: and there was none that could deliver the ram out of his hand. 8 Therefore the he goat waxed very great: and when he was strong, the great horn was broken; and for it came up four notable ones toward the four winds of heaven.

9 And out of one of them came forth a little horn, which waxed exceeding great, toward the south, and toward the east, and toward the pleasant land. 10 And it waxed great, even to the host of heaven; and it cast down some of the host and of the stars to the ground, and stamped on them. 11 Yes, he magnified himself even to the prince of the host, and by him the daily sacrifice was taken away, and the place of the sanctuary was cast down. 12 And a host was given him against the daily sacrifice by reason of transgression, and it cast down the truth to the ground; and it practiced, and prospered. 13 Then I heard one saint speaking, and another saint said to that certain saint which spoke, “How long shall be the vision concerning the daily sacrifice, and the transgression of desolation, to give both the sanctuary and the host to be trodden under foot?” 14 And he said to me, “To two thousand and three hundred days; then shall the sanctuary be cleansed.”

15 And it came to pass, when I, even I Daniel, had seen the vision, and sought for the meaning, then, behold, there stood before me as the appearance of a man. 16 And I heard a man's voice between the banks of Ulai, which called, and said, “Gabriel, make this man to understand the vision.” 17 So he came near where I stood: and when he came, I was afraid, and fell on my face: but he said to me, “Understand, O son of man: for at the time of the end shall be the vision.”

18 Now as he was speaking with me, I was in a deep sleep on my face toward the ground: but he touched me, and set me upright. 19 And he said, “Behold, I will make you know what shall be in the last end of the indignation: for at the time appointed the end shall be.

20The ram which you saw having two horns are the kings of Media and Persia.

21And the rough goat is the king of Grecia: and the great horn that is between his eyes is the first king. 22 Now that being broken, whereas four stood up for it, four kingdoms shall stand up out of the nation, but not in his power.

23 “And in the latter time of their kingdom, when the transgressors are come to the full, a king of fierce countenance, and understanding dark sentences, shall stand up.

24 “And his power shall be mighty, but not by his own power: and he shall destroy wonderfully, and shall prosper, and practice, and shall destroy the mighty and the holy people.

25 “And through his policy also he shall cause craft to prosper in his hand; and he shall magnify himself in his heart, and by peace shall destroy many: he shall also stand up against the Prince of princes; but he shall be broken without hand.

26 “And the vision of the evening and the morning which was told is true: why shut you up the vision; for it shall be for many days.”

27 And I Daniel fainted, and was sick certain days; afterward I rose up, and did the king's business; and I was astonished at the vision, but none understood it.
We can infer from this passage that horn=king or power. Grecia is the old word for Greece. Who are the rough goat and the horn? Philip II of Macedonia and Greece tried to conquer the Medo-Persian Empire but failed. He (the rough goat) encouraged his son, Alexander III (the single horn), to do what he couldn’t.

Alexander managed to conquer a great deal of the known world until his death (the broken horn). There were disputes about who should reign because his wife was pregnant at the time and his half-brother was not seen as fit to rule. The situation stabilized into four dynasties (four horns). Through Alexander conquests, a great cultural shift occurred—an amalgamation of knowledge and technology under heavily Greek influence called the Hellenistic Period (the alloy represents a pollution for man’s purpose, not the purity of God’s).

The fierce, crafty king (growing horn) was Antiochus IV Epiphanes.

~continued~

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
What is the final kingdom?

Daniel 10

2 In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. 3 I ate no pleasant bread, neither came flesh nor wine in my mouth, neither did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled. 4 And in the four and twentieth day of the first month, as I was by the side of the great river, which is Hiddekel; 5 Then I lifted up my eyes, and looked, and behold a certain man clothed in linen, whose loins were girded with fine gold of Uphaz: 6 His body also was like the beryl, and his face as the appearance of lightning, and his eyes as lamps of fire, and his arms and his feet like in color to polished brass [bronze], and the voice of his words like the voice of a multitude.
Hmm, doesn’t this look familiar? If not, reread Revelation 1.

7 And I Daniel alone saw the vision: for the men that were with me saw not the vision; but a great quaking fell on them, so that they fled to hide themselves. 8 Therefore I was left alone, and saw this great vision, and there remained no strength in me: for my comeliness was turned in me into corruption, and I retained no strength. 9 Yet heard I the voice of his words: and when I heard the voice of his words, then was I in a deep sleep on my face, and my face toward the ground.

10 And, behold, a hand touched me, which set me on my knees and on the palms of my hands. 11 And he said to me, “O Daniel, a man greatly beloved, understand the words that I speak to you, and stand upright: for to you am I now sent.” And when he had spoken this word to me, I stood trembling. 12 Then said he to me, “Fear not, Daniel: for from the first day that you did set your heart to understand and to chasten yourself before your God, your words were heard, and I am come for your words. 13 But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days: but, see, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me; and I remained there with the kings of Persia. 14 Now I am come to make you understand what shall befall your people in the latter days: for yet the vision is for many days.”
Notice, He did not cause Daniel to stand and spoke of the chief angel Michael like an old friend. It cannot be Our Father because of His power and brilliance would kill Daniel (Exodus 33:20-23).

15 And when He had spoken such words to me, I set my face toward the ground, and I became dumb. 16 And, behold, one like the similitude of the sons of men touched my lips: then I opened my mouth, and spoke, and said to him that stood before me, “O my Lord, by the vision my sorrows are turned on me, and I have retained no strength. 17 For how can the servant of this my Lord talk with this my Lord? For as for me, straightway there remained no strength in me, neither is there breath left in me.”

18 Then there came again and touched me, one like the appearance of a man, and He strengthened me, 19 And said, “O man greatly beloved, fear not: peace be to you, be strong, yes, be strong.” And when He had spoken to me, I was strengthened, and said, “Let my lord speak; for you have strengthened me.”

20 Then said He, “Know you why I come to you? And now will I return to fight with the prince of Persia: and when I am gone forth, see, the prince of Grecia shall come. 21 But I will show you that which is noted in the scripture of truth: and there is none that holds with me in these things, but Michael, your prince.”
The Son of God will reveal a prophecy and names Michael as Daniel and, later, Israel’s guardian angel (Daniel 12:1).

Daniel 11:1-39 discussed the politico-religious machinations during the Hellenistic Period, but the last section of the chapter tells of a king of the north subduing Greece and Northern Africa:

40 And at the time of the end shall the king of the south push at him: and the king of the north shall come against him like a whirlwind, with chariots, and with horsemen, and with many ships; and he shall enter into the countries, and shall overflow and pass over. 41 He shall enter also into the glorious land, and many countries shall be overthrown: but these shall escape out of his hand, even Edom, and Moab, and the chief of the children of Ammon. 42 He shall stretch forth his hand also on the countries: and the land of Egypt shall not escape. 43 But he shall have power over the treasures of gold and of silver, and over all the precious things of Egypt: and the Libyans and the Ethiopians shall be at his steps. 44 But tidings out of the east and out of the north shall trouble him: therefore he shall go forth with great fury to destroy, and utterly to make away many. 45 And he shall plant the tabernacles of his palace between the seas in the glorious holy mountain; yet he shall come to his end, and none shall help him.
We recall from secular history that Rome had overtaken the Greeks and others, ruling the known world for centuries. This was the period iron and steel (an alloy of iron and tin) were used for weaponry due to improved smelting techniques, being plentiful, stronger and more durable than any metal known at the time.

Only one other apostle recognized Rome as Babylon:

1 Peter 5:13 She [either Peter’s wife or the church] that is at Babylon, elected together with you, salutes you; and so does Marcus, my son.
The original Babylon was long buried under the sands of natural history by the time this was written, so what else could Peter have been referring to? Given that Peter knew who Jesus actually was, this should not be surprising. Christian apologists in the second and third centuries also referred to Rome as such. I encourage you to research it for yourselves.

What is the potter’s and miry clay?

Isaiah 64:8 But now, O LORD, You are our Father; we are the clay, and You our Potter; and we all are the work of Your Hand.
We are the potter’s clay. Also see Job 10:9, 33:6; Isaiah 29:16, 45:9, 64:8; Jeremiah 18:6; Revelation 2:27

Miry is the adjective form of mire, meaning mud.

Psalm 40:2 He brought me up also out of a horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet on a rock, and established my goings.
Also see Psalms 69:2, Isaiah 10:6, and Ezekiel 47:11. The potter’s clay mixed in the iron is the rebellion of the righteous against the establishment, weakening it. (Daniel 2:41-42).

Daniel 2:43 is a tough one. I have read different interpretations and none of them were satisfactory. When I see the phrase “they shall mingle themselves with the seed of men,” I think genetic manipulation or a symbolic infiltration. Let’s see what the Bible says about the seed of men:

Nehemiah 9:2 And the seed of Israel separated themselves from all strangers, and stood and confessed their sins, and the iniquities of their fathers.

Psalm 21:8-10 Your hand shall find out all your enemies: your right hand shall find out those that hate you. You shall make them as a fiery oven in the time of your anger: the LORD shall swallow them up in his wrath, and the fire shall devour them. Their fruit shall you destroy from the earth and their seed from among the children of men.
This led to parable of the wheat and tares in Matthew 13:

24 Another parable He put forth to them, saying, “The kingdom of heaven is likened to a man which sowed good seed in his field. 25 But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way. 26 But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also.

27 So the servants of the householder came and said to him, ‘Sir, did not you sow good seed in your field? From where then has it tares?’

28 He said to them, ‘An enemy has done this.’

The servants said to him, Will you then that we go and gather them up?’

29 But he said, ‘No; lest while you gather up the tares, you root up also the wheat with them. 30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, “Gather you together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.”’”
Potter’s clay = good seed = those living in obedience and love
Miry clay = bad seed = those living by the whims of man and Satan’s pollution

Both are within the iron feet—a mass of controlled confusion. At some point, to force order, it will be divided into ten separate kingdoms. Given their size in comparison with the rest of the idol, it will not last long (Matthew 12:25, Luke 11:17).

~continued~

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
What is the stone cut without hands?

The symbolism of stones represents two different things: a device for delivering punishment and building material. In regards to the statue prophecy, the stone which destroys it is seen as both. The number of verses showing this are too numerous to list, so we need to hone in on the ones relevant to Daniel’s interpretation.

Matthew 21:42 Jesus said to them, “Did you never read in the scriptures, ‘The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvelous in our eyes?’”
Jesus is quoting David (Psalms 118:22), which is mentioned in two other gospels (Mark 12:10-11, Luke 20:17). David was referring to himself because Saul would not give up the throne of Israel. Was Jesus referring to himself also?

Another word for stone is rock. A rock symbolizes strength, steadfastness and protection.
God refers to Himself as one:

Deuteronomy 32:4 He is the Rock, His work is perfect: for all His ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is He.
Deuteronomy 32:18 Of the Rock that begat you, you are unmindful, and have forgotten God that formed you.
David and other writers under his influence referred to God as a Rock many times throughout the Psalms:

Psalm 18:2 The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.
We can conclude, since the Son and the Father are one (John 1:14, 10:30, 14:6), that Jesus is the Rock hewn from the mountain, the Stone which the builders (the nation of Israel) rejected (Matthew 16:21, 17:12, 17:22-23, 20:18-19; Mark 9:31; Luke 17:25), but others (the Gentiles) received (Matthew 28:19; Mark 16:15; Luke 24:47; Acts 1:8, 8:26-40, 13:47, 18:6). He is the Stone that will destroy man’s (and Satan’s) corrupt system (Psalm 28:5; Isaiah 11:4, 30:14; Jeremiah 19:11; Zechariah 3:8-9; Matthew 10:34-36; Luke 12:51-53; 2 Thessalonians 2:8), and establish His own (Isaiah 32:1, Psalm 2:9; Revelation 2:27, 12:5) with His Father’s blessing (2 Samuel 7:12; Jeremiah 23:5, 33:15; Luke 1:32-33; Revelation 2:27).

Which kingdom are we in?

All roads lead to Rome ~ old saying

Based solely on the information above, we can see we are still within the kingdom of Rome.

Ancient Rome at its height

The Holy Roman Empire, circa 1500

European Union, circa 2007

How could this be, since Rome does not hold the same power and influence it once had? Or does it?

Maurice Gomberg, Philadelphia, circa 1942

World Association of the Parliamentary for World Government, circa 1952

Club of Rome, circa 1973

Updated, based on economic and political agreements, circa 2009

Remember, the statue represents four political, economic, and spiritual kingdoms. We will revisit this at a later date. Please, seek Him out to reveal the truth yourselves.

I had to get this out of my brain so I could focus on Chapter 4.