Excercisng is making my hair shed...

PrettyinPink001

So I've been exercising 2-3 times a week and I've notices an increase of hair shedding . Is this normal, I started taking multivitamins and now biotin. Should I be washing my hair myself. I don't know how to roller set lol. Ugh I need help!

Goal: waist length currently near BSL !

yeahisaidit

I don't think your exercising is the reason your hair is shedding.

What is your reggie?

PrettyinPink001

Well I'm washing every week and a half. I try to deep condition every month. But that's really it, I go to the hair dresser. But ever since I started exercising Ive seen a increase in my shedding. Idk what is the issue???

natural2008

Salt dried hair n hair breaks easily. Try cowashing twice a week and protective styling.

Last edited:

sweetome1

Hmmm you're working out 2-3 times a week yet only wash every week and a half? You should probably look into co-washing biweekly or something...especially if you're having a nice sweaty workout.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Yeah. You need to cowash at least twice a week with all that sweating. Sweat contains salt and other wastes from the body which is building up on your scalp.

PrettyinPink001

Co washing twice a week would be hard. How do some of you guys dry your hair quickly after co washing, especially if you work the next day??

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
May I ask what you're getting done at the salon so often?

Are you relaxed or natural? I'm natural. I'll dry in braids or twists and wear a twist out if it suits me.

greenandchic

I work out 4-6 days a week and realized I needed to shampoo (or use a cleaning conditioner) once a week and use a cleaning conditioner a few days later, which equals washing twice a week. I also seal my hair close to my scalp, especially my edges before working out and moisturize often.

I'm natural by the way.

ETA: I also DC once a week. HTH

Last edited:

southerncitygirl

The salt in your sweat will cause dryness and breakage as stated you must wash/co-wash & deep condition more. textured styles are the key instead of straight relaxed hair. You could try rollersetting,braid/twistouts,bunning, and bantu knot outs. There are numerous threads on these styles via the search function. Also invest in a free standing hair dryer there is a thread on the knockoff version of pibbs hair dryers as well, the company used to be salonsrus but they changed their name.

You are going to have to stop being so dependent on your stylist and only go to the salon 1-2 times a month. Everyone on this forum came not knowing something but we learned by trying over and over.:yep: Youtube is also a great resource for hair info...maybe you could do a search on relaxed or natural hair care while working out.

i'll tag a few folks for more feedback:
IDareT'sHair
Lita
kupenda
empressri
EnExitStageLeft
Seamonster
Lucie

Last edited:

sharifeh

I didn't know salt/sweat caused dryness and breakage. It's just not practical for me to wash/cowash after every sweaty workout

FrazzledFraggle

Co washing twice a week would be hard. How do some of you guys dry your hair quickly after co washing, especially if you work the next day??

I cowash every day ....well 6 days per week. I've been doing insanity for a little over 6 months and it makes me sweat a ton. I agree it's probably the salt. There are other ladies who cowash daily. I think most of us bun after co washing but my workout is in the evening so I towel dry, use a serum, and by the morning, I'm mostly dry.

Last edited:

FrazzledFraggle

^^^

If you don't co wash after sweating, how do you keep your hair from having an odor? I'm not trying to be offensive, it's a genuine question. I'm kind of surprised more people didn't think of salt as having a drying effect.

PrettyinPink001

I don't sweat a lot, but I've been exercising usually one to two times a week. I would spread it out because of my schedule, and my wedding is in less than 4 months so I've been super busy after work. I just started 2-3 times a week.
But i agree i do need to start co washing thanks guys!

Yea I'm a relaxed 4a/b with blond highlights (streaks)

HanaKuroi

How long have you had your blond highlights?

What you think is shedding could be breakage from the highlights.

I agree you should be more proactive about your hair. Don't rely on your salon. Rely on you.

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

Last edited:

LaToya28

I agree that it's definitely the salty sweat that's causing you to shed more. Not sure if you're relaxed or natural but cowashing a couple times per week and putting your hair in a bun would make things easier for you instead of trying to maintain a rollerset.

bhndbrwneyes

Just to throw in another suggestion since everyone is mentioning sweating which was my first though as well...

Whether you are relaxed or natural, when trying to wear your hair straight I agree that washing that often is unpractical. Otherwise, wearing it curly or in a PS shouldn't be an issue. I got my hair done 2 weeks ago at the salon and worked out 2 days in the week. I really wanted to wash after the first time but after the second time I HAD to because you're really building up a lot of dirt, oil, and yes...salt.

But also, how do you style your hair when working out? I'm thinking if you're pulling your hair too tight into a pony or something then that will cause breakage as well.

Brwnbeauti

I'll usually put two or three twist or French braids in and let it air dry. If it doesn't dry I just throw it in a banana clip and pin it, making a bun.

prettyinpurple

^^^

If you don't co wash after sweating, how do you keep your hair from having an odor? I'm not trying to be offensive, it's a genuine question. I'm kind of surprised more people didn't think of salt as having a drying effect.

Personally, my scalp doesn't sweat that much. However I must wash my body after a work out lol.

I know salt is sweaty but I didn't think it was enough to dry your hair out and cause breakage. Weird. My skin doesn't feel like the Sahara or dry at all after the sweat has evaporated.

OP: I bet your hair is probably getting tangled too. If you're combing it as you normally would, ease up and be gentle so that you don't pull your hair out.

Keen

Just to throw in another suggestion since everyone is mentioning sweating which was my first though as well...

Whether you are relaxed or natural, when trying to wear your hair straight I agree that washing that often is unpractical. Otherwise, wearing it curly or in a PS shouldn't be an issue. I got my hair done 2 weeks ago at the salon and worked out 2 days in the week. I really wanted to wash after the first time but after the second time I HAD to because you're really building up a lot of dirt, oil, and yes...salt.

But also, how do you style your hair when working out? I'm thinking if you're pulling your hair too tight into a pony or something then that will cause breakage as well.

It depends. I have found that CHI Silk infusion on wet hair solve that problem for me. I don't mind wearing my hair straight down with no curls what so ever so this works for me. I want to roller set but that just takes too long.

natural2008

I'm a runner and know better. For 3 months I only cowashed once a Week and my hair got dry and broke off on my edges. Especially in the back. I was lazy. I put n twist, a silk scarf and a cute hat at work or a headwrap and keep moving. When i run i switch to my nike fitted or baseball cap. i didn't even oil everyday. I was bad bad bad. But for myself I know my hair loves grease. At the time I was just using oils and I sweat a lot when I run. My hair is wet. I'm doing better now. Girl just cowash and moisturized and you will b okay :0). Good luck.

sharifeh

^^^

:lol: i'm not offended, i sweat but my head doesn't give off an odor unless i go too long without washing

greenandchic

I didn't know salt/sweat caused dryness and breakage. It's just not practical for me to wash/cowash after every sweaty workout

On the days I don't wash my hair, sealing with an oil, butter or water based moisturizer that has oil before working out helps in the meantime.

^^^

My scalp doesn't give off an odor - I think its because I shampoo my scalp at least once a week. When I go more than 4 days without doing any kind of hair/scalp washing, that's when the itching and possibly odor starts.

sharifeh

Ok ya'll I just came back from a sweaty workout and I admit my hair does feel kinda gross. Oh this is not gonna be fun. I just told myself i was gonna do low manipulation :nono: :cry: why did i have to see this thread???
i don't like the frequent cowashing

Thanks @greenandchic I'll do that next time.

another concern is the conditioner cost, my hair doesn't seem to like cheapies so much, i have to find a conditioner that has good ingredients but is cost effective if i'm gonna be cowashing more frequently
ugh off to vitacost

Last edited:

A.Marie

I'm having the same issue. I work out, and my hair is drenched. I will try cowashing more often. Right now, my hair is thin at the nape and is shedding a lot.

bebezazueta

I'm relaxed and I stretch and I've been working out 5-6 days/ week for the past year and a half. I sweat heavily but have not experienced this shedding at all. I just don't wear my hair straight so I have no problems being relaxed and working out. Damp buns, single braid & now box braids are my go to styles. Also I use a herbal dry shampoo to clean my scalp between washings. I had to stop cowashing cause I needed shampoo. So I shampoo with ORS aloe shampoo twice a week & use ORS herbal dry shampoo in between that.

How's your stress level? Are you doing protein treatments since you are double processed?

Enyo

Are any flat ironed ladies working out consistently? It's beach season year round here in Hawaii and I need to get in shape. I want to work out daily, but I'm worried about not being able to wash frequently.

hillytmj

I exercise 4-5 days weekly most of the time and I just put it in a ball and secure with a clip. I also let it dry in that position. I only wash DC/weekly. I don't know if exercise would increase shedding, however, I have experienced seasonal shedding - particularly more in the summer.

kupenda

OP...have you looked at your stress levels? Youre about to be a married woman! Youve got fiddy eleven things on your plate. Do you think the background stress/nerves/anxiety could have anything to do with your shedding? Also, have you checked the hair to be sure it truly is shedding, and not breakage? How long have you been double processed? Any correlation between the time you got highlights and when you noticed the increase in hair loss?

And congrats on your new family!