Exercise and Clean Hair

Tenacious

For the past 7 weeks, I've been working out on average 6 days a week for 45-55 minutes a day. I would like to announce that I've lost 10 lbs, and have reached my first goal of 135 lbs. However, my constant exercise has landed me with one question: What should I do to my hair?

Problem: I am having a difficult time keeping a clean scalp. I keep my hair bunned and baggied all day and all night. In the morning, I workout...which leaves my hair a greasy, sweaty mess. I tried the whole co-washing deal, but my scalp was never exactly clean! Sweat is made up of bacteria, urea and other stuff right? That shouldn't stay on the scalp, from what I've learned.

Solution?: So I resorted to washing the hair daily with a gentle Suave daily clarifying shampoo. I follow up with Infusium 23 Reparologie Conditioner and a Infusium 23 Moisturologie Leave-In (or Sta-Sof-Fro, depends). I seal my ends with Olive, Castor and the ORS Olive Oil Moisturizer, and baggie. I put a light gel on the edges and tie down with a scarf. My day is set.

Question: Is there anything wrong with my daily routine? I know many ladies on the board don't wash hair daily but this goes back to my former post about the Daily Washing and Long Hair and the fact that I exercise daily (and sweat like a pig!). My ends seem fine from doing it and I haven't had any additional damage. My hair still feels the same as before, just cleaner.

So....If I exercise, sweat heavily and have a oily scalp, should I shampoo daily? Thanks!

newflowers

I have a similar issue which I solved by cowashing daily, washing and deep conditioning twice per week. Perhaps you might consider a milder shampoo or one with sulfates or a different conditioner so you can co-wash daily.

Tenacious

I mean, I can co-wash daily, but I also use products. I don't want that on my scalp. It seems like I get build-up easier when I co-wash with hair products. Then, my hair feels slimy like all the products and the conditioner mix and when I rinse, it still feels icky.....

Traycee

I mean, I can co-wash daily, but I also use products. I don't want that on my scalp. It seems like I get build-up easier when I co-wash with hair products. Then, my hair feels slimy like all the products and the conditioner mix and when I rinse, it still feels icky.....

Co washing works for me...while exercising... I use a lot of products/ oil also...I wash with shampoo once a week

fivetimestwo

I had the same problem...

try adding baking soda to your conditioner when you co-wash-that will get all the gunk off your scalp and hair. :yep:

winterinatl

All natural!
For the past 7 weeks, I've been working out on average 6 days a week for 45-55 minutes a day. I would like to announce that I've lost 10 lbs, and have reached my first goal of 135 lbs. However, my constant exercise has landed me with one question: What should I do to my hair?

Problem: I am having a difficult time keeping a clean scalp. I keep my hair bunned and baggied all day and all night. In the morning, I workout...which leaves my hair a greasy, sweaty mess. I tried the whole co-washing deal, but my scalp was never exactly clean! Sweat is made up of bacteria, urea and other stuff right? That shouldn't stay on the scalp, from what I've learned.

Solution?: So I resorted to washing the hair daily with a gentle Suave daily clarifying shampoo. I follow up with Infusium 23 Reparologie Conditioner and a Infusium 23 Moisturologie Leave-In (or Sta-Sof-Fro, depends). I seal my ends with Olive, Castor and the ORS Olive Oil Moisturizer, and baggie. I put a light gel on the edges and tie down with a scarf. My day is set.

Question: Is there anything wrong with my daily routine? I know many ladies on the board don't wash hair daily but this goes back to my former post about the Daily Washing and Long Hair and the fact that I exercise daily (and sweat like a pig!). My ends seem fine from doing it and I haven't had any additional damage. My hair still feels the same as before, just cleaner.

So....If I exercise, sweat heavily and have a oily scalp, should I shampoo daily? Thanks!

I have this problem too. I'd rather you didn't shampoo every day, especially with a clarifier.

To cut down on sweat in the hair, try keeping it soaked with conditioner and water mix BEFORE you start working out. This way, the strands are filled with good stuff not the icky sweat.

Since you have chosen a good, slippy conditioner, it will be a breeze to simply rinse out, OR, you can work a little bit of poo up in the roots to hit your scalp.

This is an old swimmer's trick, not quite the same as conditioner washing b/c your hair will be in conditioner pretty much all day, until you workout/shower again. Hopefully you can cut down the poo to 1-2 times per week.

You are not experiencing dryness right now because of the constant washing.

Don't forget to DC here and there, too.

And congratulations!

caliber38

I think if you're sweating a lot and you need to wash daily its fine. It might even work to your advantage like you said :yep:. I'm trying to start daily washing since I read ur last thread lol.

Tenacious

I have this problem too. I'd rather you didn't shampoo every day, especially with a clarifier.

To cut down on sweat in the hair, try keeping it soaked with conditioner and water mix BEFORE you start working out. This way, the strands are filled with good stuff not the icky sweat.

Since you have chosen a good, slippy conditioner, it will be a breeze to simply rinse out, OR, you can work a little bit of poo up in the roots to hit your scalp.

This is an old swimmer's trick, not quite the same as conditioner washing b/c your hair will be in conditioner pretty much all day, until you workout/shower again. Hopefully you can cut down the poo to 1-2 times per week.

You are not experiencing dryness right now because of the constant washing.

Don't forget to DC here and there, too.

And congratulations!

Actually.... no... My scalp doesn't seem to be dry, itchy or anything.... I don't oil my scalp at all. I just shampoo, condition, leave-in, Moisturize (ORS Olive Oil Moisturizer) and seal with castor oil.... daily! I wonder why my scalp isn't dry.... I may have oily hair.... I may try putting conditioner in my hair overnight and wash/rinse after my workout to minimize damage.