Extended bun wearers that retain length...questions!!

Blairx0

I bun by wrapping my hair around a flexi rod. It isn't drying and I just tuck and pin my sealed ends.

RegaLady

I ONLY bun with banana clips (they do not tug and pull on my edges like bands). I M&S twist three sections of the ponytail, braid those three twisted sections to make one braid, tuck, roll and pin. The only thing that has helped to me to retain length!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I ONLY bun with banana clips (they do not tug and pull on my edges like bands). I M&S twist three sections of the ponytail, braid those three twisted sections to make one braid, tuck, roll and pin. The only thing that has helped to me to retain length!

RegaLady - how long is your hair? And do you have a pic of your hair in this banana clip style?

I would love to use banana clips but I get tension on the sides of my hair. Then I see little short hairs popped out on the sides which I suspect is either breakage or short frizzy hair. :ohwell:

Sent via Android LHCF App

RegaLady

@RegaLady - how long is your hair? And do you have a pic of your hair in this banana clip style?

I would love to use banana clips but I get tension on the sides of my hair. Then I see little short hairs popped out on the sides which I suspect is either breakage or short frizzy hair. :ohwell:

@Poohbear

My hair is about an inch from BSL. But I started this technique since june of this year and my hair has done wayyyyy better than any weave,twists,etc I have tried on my journey.

@Poohbear
To me, banana clips hold the hair without grabbing it too hard.

Last edited:

koolkittychick

I dont use ponytail holders. I gather my hair into a ponytail, twist it around, laying it down. I tuck my ends underneath or inside the bun and secure it with a spin pin or good day hair pin. No tight tension on hairline and ends are covered.

I may put a net around it so it looks neat and since my sides are shorter i use small hair clips or bobby pins to hold the sides down.

You can get the bun hair nets online or sally's.

Oh and i dont comb my hair straight back. I have a part down the middle at the front towards the crown. I dont slick my sides down with gel. I would if i was natural. I do it like this to prevent tension at the hairline and cut down on combing and brushing to make it look neat.

What she said. :yep:

loveafterwar

@RegaLady - how long is your hair? And do you have a pic of your hair in this banana clip style?

Can you buy banana clips in stores vs online? I've never really used them but I'd like to move away from ouchless hair ties

Poohbear

@ Poohbear

My hair is about an inch from BSL. But I started this technique since june of this year and my hair has done wayyyyy better than any weave,twists,etc I have tried on my journey.

@ Poohbear
To me, banana clips hold the hair without grabbing it too hard.

Thanks RegaLady. I see that you put your banana clip in horizontally at the crown of your head instead of vertically. I always placed my banana clips vertically at the back of my head. Next time I think about trying a banana clip, I will try to do it the same way as you.

caliscurls

I have been using these lately. Since one side is flat it's more comfortable to sleep in and the hold is more snug.

Last edited:

Growingmyhairlong

lovebug10, you should wrap a scarf around the donut to protect your hair.

Thanks for that answer. I wore my bun maker for the first time today and read this. When I got home I noticed a little bit of my hair stuck to it. I rushed and sewed a satin piece of an old scarf to it. I can't sew for anything but it's not about looks as long as it protects my hair. Thanks so much for this information.

MystiqueBabe

@MystiqueBabe - do you do the claw clip like this picture below on your bun?

Yes, I think you wont have breakage if you wear them sort of loose. The clips doesn't create a lot of tension like scrunhies do. I always take it off at night and have no breakage.

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
I would also suggest using forks or sticks. You can really minimize breakage. I use no bands and hold hair up with only the fork/stick. There are a number of tutorials on yt. One day I may do one...

Poohbear

RegaLady - I tried the banana clip bun. First I put my hair into a ponytail and then put in the banana clip to secure. I took the ponytail holder off and tucked the ends underneath the back part of the banana clip with a goody hair days pin.

Here's a couple of pics (click to enlarge):

IMAG1395.jpg

IMAG1396.jpg

afrofaithful

How are you all putting all your hair in banana clips? I can never fit all mine in and when I do the clip always pops open, or is WAY too tight. Many of you have much more hair than me so I don't get what I'm doing wrong...

Poohbear

How are you all putting all your hair in banana clips? I can never fit all mine in and when I do the clip always pops open, or is WAY too tight. Many of you have much more hair than me so I don't get what I'm doing wrong...

afrofaithful - I couldn't do it at first either without it causing tight tension or popping open. Putting my hair in a ponytail first helped hold my hair in place before putting the banana clip on.

pookaloo83

]@afrofaithful I don't use the ones that snap. They always pop open.I use the ones that you have to secure by locking it together.

I don't use these

I use these

They have to interlock. They never come apart for me.

RegaLady

RegaLady - I tried the banana clip bun. First I put my hair into a ponytail and then put in the banana clip to secure. I took the ponytail holder off and tucked the ends underneath the back part of the banana clip with a goody hair days pin.

Here's a couple of pics (click to enlarge):

View attachment 175387

View attachment 175389

Poohbear

Just beautiful!
Thats how I secure my buns and have had way less breakage than wearing ouchless bands.

Your bun looks big and juicy:lick:

Poohbear

@afrofaithful I don't use the ones that snap. They always pop open.I use the ones that you have to secure by locking it together.

I don't use these

I use these

They have to interlock. They never come apart for me.
Yep, I use the ones that interlock.

I tried those snap ones before and they kept popping open. I returned them to the store.

Thanks RegaLady. I decided to redo the bun this morning and I didn't have any hair in the banana clip like I do with ponytail holders. But I try to be really careful with putting in the banana clip.

afrofaithful

Poohbear said:
Yep, I use the ones that interlock.

I tried those snap ones before and they kept popping open. I returned them to the store.

Thanks RegaLady. I decided to redo the bun this morning and I didn't have any hair in the banana clip like I do with ponytail holders. But I try to be really careful with putting in the banana clip.

So when you take out the ponytail, do you spread the hair into the rest of the clip so it's not just in one area? Or does it fan out automatically? If you can envision what I mean...

Mz.MoMo5235

Yuck ends into the middle of the bun. Works like a charm :)

I'm not illiterate. It's my phones auto correct