Extended bun wearers that retain length...questions!!

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
Hi :) I need to know how do you properly tuck your ends in your bun so that they aren't rubbing against the elastic ouchless and stay protected while you're in a Bun. I have split ends due to what I believe is doing my buns the wrong way the past year. Can anyone help me out?Thanks :)

nerdography

I tuck my ends inside my bun. Imagine your pulling you hair into a ponytail, but instead of pulling it all the way through, you only do it half way. And I tuck my ends inside that loop. It's worked well for me.

IMFOCSD

I saturate my ends and use hair pins to keep the bun in place.

Last edited:

SherylsTresses

I tie my ponytail with a black knee-high and put in three twists and bobby pin each twist. At night, I sleep in a baggy which shapes my bun.

MystiqueBabe

Tension from your scrunchie can cause breakage. This is why I alternate the position of the bun at least every 3 days to prevent breakage. Also you can use a hair clip and secure the bun that way way less tension and I have suffered no breakage from using those clips. To protect your ends gather your hair like if you were to put it in a ponytail, then gently twist the hair around with your fingers, tuck the ends under your hair good, and secure with the clip.

These kind:

Last edited:

jessicarabbit

something that really helped me retain is doing a baggy bun and wrapping that with a track of weave. no one could tell, and my ends didnt suffer from the scrunchie and stayed most all day.

jessicarabbit

oh yeah and like the previous poster said, a donut bun, but you have to make sure you really keep your ends moisturized with that because the material of the donut can dry them out.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
TracieBLovely said:
Hi :) I need to know how do you properly tuck your ends in your bun so that they aren't rubbing against the elastic ouchless and stay protected while you're in a Bun. I have split ends due to what I believe is doing my buns the wrong way the past year. Can anyone help me out?Thanks :)

TracieBLovely you might try cutting up a knee high stocking and slathering it with conditioner and use that as your pony maker. Then simply tuck your ends under your bun by laying them under your bun. I never tuck my ends inside my pony maker. I have some bun styles in my LHCF blog that you might find useful. I actually bun with banana clips now but when I first started, I used the cut up stocking.

Evolving78

I dont use ponytail holders. I gather my hair into a ponytail, twist it around, laying it down. I tuck my ends underneath or inside the bun and secure it with a spin pin or good day hair pin. No tight tension on hairline and ends are covered.

I may put a net around it so it looks neat and since my sides are shorter i use small hair clips or bobby pins to hold the sides down.

You can get the bun hair nets online or sally's.

Oh and i dont comb my hair straight back. I have a part down the middle at the front towards the crown. I dont slick my sides down with gel. I would if i was natural. I do it like this to prevent tension at the hairline and cut down on combing and brushing to make it look neat.

Last edited:

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
Tension from your scrunchie can cause breakage. This is why I alternate the position of the bun at least every 3 days to prevent breakage. Also you can use a hair clip and secure the bun that way way less tension and I have suffered no breakage from using those clips. To protect your ends gather your hair like if you were to put it in a ponytail, then gently twist the hair around with your fingers, tuck the ends under your hair good, and secure with the clip.

These kind:

thanks I have some like these. My main issue is I can't sleep with these. They hurt LOL

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
TracieBLovely you might try cutting up a knee high stocking and slathering it with conditioner and use that as your pony maker. Then simply tuck your ends under your bun by laying them under your bun. I never tuck my ends inside my pony maker. I have some bun styles in my LHCF blog that you might find useful. I actually bun with banana clips now but when I first started, I used the cut up stocking.

thanks :) I'll do this. I am a SAHM and Im usually in the house and go out maybe only 3 x weekly. I needed something for when I am pretty much prepping for bed so this should work.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
I dont use ponytail holders. I gather my hair into a ponytail, twist it around, laying it down. I tuck my ends underneath or inside the bun and secure it with a spin pin or good day hair pin. No tight tension on hairline and ends are covered.

I may put a net around it so it looks neat and since my sides are shorter i use small hair clips or bobby pins to hold the sides down.

You can get the bun hair nets online or sally's.

Oh and i dont comb my hair straight back. I have a part down the middle at the front towards the crown. I dont slick my sides down with gel. I would if i was natural. I do it like this to prevent tension at the hairline and cut down on combing and brushing to make it look neat.
Thanks I have a net I don't even use and maybe I can get some plastic bobby pins or one of those pins

lovebug10

lindsaywhat said:
oh yeah and like the previous poster said, a donut bun, but you have to make sure you really keep your ends moisturized with that because the material of the donut can dry them out.

I just bought a donut from CVS. Its a goody one. It's brown but made of a plastic-like mesh so the pins can go through the donut. Is this the kind of donut that damages ends? I've seen spongy ones and cloth ones that I figured those ones would cause splits by removing the moisture from the hair. Is the mesh donut safe?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I just bought a donut from CVS. Its a goody one. It's brown but made of a plastic-like mesh so the pins can go through the donut. Is this the kind of donut that damages ends? I've seen spongy ones and cloth ones that I figured those ones would cause splits by removing the moisture from the hair. Is the mesh donut safe?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

lovebug10, you should wrap a scarf around the donut to protect your hair.

JulietWhiskey

Darkside of the moon
Recently, I bunned while on vacation and kept my ends moist, juicy and protected by coating my metal-free elastic with Vaseline. At the end of the day, when I took my hair out of the bun, I had no hair sticking to the elastic. EVERY TIME.

At night, I divided my hair into two sections and on the ends used my water-based leave-in and sealed with Vaseline and twisted. In the morning, I unraveled the twists and put my hair in a bun with the greased-up elastic.

In the past, my super-fine strands did not fare well with bunning but this method and routine worked wonders for me!

HTH!

I make my own donuts out of socks and then wrap them with satin ribbon so the texture doesn't mess with my ends. I also make ponytail holders out of baby-size leggings (I cut them up like some people do with knee-highs) and soak them in conditioner before I use them. I clip my hair sometimes or use a fairly small banana clip and pin the ends into a bun from there.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
MystiqueBabe - do you do the claw clip like this picture below on your bun?

These kind: