EXTREME BREAKAGE

Mikamookamook

Hello Ladies.

I am currently experiencing EXTREME breakage in the back of my crown area and it has gotten so bad I think I have less than an inch of length in that area left. Not to mention you can see the damage throughout the rest of my hair. It is thin and brittle and even when washed and set, still appears unhealthy. I was wearing my hair short for a few years and decided to grow my length back but my decision to supplement my hair through its awkward stages with weave has become a nightmare. I was feeling like I was going to have to cut my hair short again and start from scratch but I really don't want to. Cutting it short would mean relaxing it again and I am trying to transition, relaxer would be a major setback for me. Plus, I tried going natural from a czar a few years back and I did not like it and after a month or two wound up relaxing my hair again, so I know that wont work. I would appreciate any suggestions you all have in the following:

SHAMPOOS/CONDITIONERS
OILS
END SEALING
SCALP TREATMENT
REGIMENTS

Any suggestions you all can give I appreciate. I am beyond desperate and trying to feel my way blindly through uncharted territory.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Can You Tell Us what is Your Current Regimen? 'What Products are you currently using? How long have you noticed breakage in your Crown?

Mikamookamook

Honestly, I have been really slack. I don't have a regiment. I get to the salon when I can *every two to four weeks* and I don't use any particular products. Years ago before I cut it, I washed and set my hair every one to two weeks and when I wore it short, I washed and styled the same. But when I used the curly weave, I washed my own hair every two-three weeks and didn't do any special conditioning.

I noticed the breakage a few months back and I haven't really been proactive at treating the breakage with the exception of applying some hair creme I purchased from Carol's Daughter *which I don't think works*.

I want to start fresh, just don't know where to start. I also want something I can do at home myself when I can't get to the salon which is a problem of mine.

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
There are many causes of breakage and all that we can do is offer ideas as to why it "may" have occurred. I have two possible theories on what could have caused your breakage:

1) If you are transitioning, "the line of demarcation" where the relaxed and natural hair meet is a very weak spot. Someone I went to high school experienced the same thing you are experiencing when she was stretching her relaxer. You have to be very gentle with hair in the transitioning stage. When you comb your hair, do it while the hair is damp, and maybe add oils and conditioner to give some slip. One example of conditioners that add slip are ones that have the ingredient behentrimonium methosulfate.

2)It could be the weaves. How often are you moisturizing your hair? How long are you wearing the weaves? Are they tight?

There are so many variables that could contribute to breakage, you have to really sit and evaluate your routine to pinpoint where the breakage could possibly be coming from. However, if I had to choose one without knowing anything specific about your routine, I would lean towards the "line of demarcation" being a big contributing factor. However, as I said before and want to reiterate, this could be the reason why, but it may not be, it is only a guess on my part since I do not know how you treat your hair and other factors that could play a role in your current dilemma.

Either way, good luck, and don't be scared of a caesar. I rocked one not that long ago after growing my hair out and it isn't that bad :)

CurlsBazillion

A good leave in coditioner/moisturizer, weekly deep conditioning and a satin bonnet is a good start. Moisturize(I personally say stay away from moisturizers that contain mineral oil, cones and petroleum) and seal with a natural oil (or grease) is important to me and has stopped my breakage alot. I think all the above should help you alot. Good luck.

Miss*Tress

I have breakage in that area of the crown too, so it is always about an inch shorter than the hair on either side. The texture is coarser and it air dries quicker and shrinks more than the rest of my hair.

Apply your conditioner in sections and put more on that area - the same for any moisturizers and oils. Also make sure you rinse out your shampoo and non-leave-in conditioners thoroughly. Comb gently and never go to sleep without a bonnet or scarf.

Good luck!

Mikamookamook

@ ms-gg....Thanks for sharing...I think it is a combination of the weaves and not conditioning enough. I do not wash my own hair and I let too much time go before I get back to the salon and way too much time passes before I deep treat it. What types of products do you use to condition your hair? Do you use hot oil treatments?

@ DayDreamist...Thanks for the advice...when you say "seal with a natural oil"...what kind of oils are you referring to and would I just apply it to the ends of my hair nightly?

@ Miss*Tress...I try not to go to sleep without a bonnet or scarf...but I do not wrap my hair anymore...but your hair sounds similar to mine. That section of my hair is the coarsest and driest and although I have not had this breakage problem in that area in the past, it is the part of my hair that took least to the relaxer. Thanks for the advice....

Mikamookamook

ActionActress...one of my girlfriends actually mentioned this to me but I am not on any medication. I was thinking that it may be stress and vitamin deficiency so I started taking a supplement and just toning down on stressful activities and people.

I already feel like I have a lot more info since joining the forum and browsing through the ample information and resources made available by the members. I really appreciate all of you!!!

Lady Esquire

Breakage in the back is the worst. Trust me, I know. I returned back to the most solid regimen I knew and stuck to it. Consistency is key. Also, STOP whatever it is that caused the breakage (shedding, tight hairstyles, neglect, etc...).

Start off with clarifying your hair. Then do a protein treatment to stop the breakage. Follow that with a moisture treatment. Wash at least once a week for the next few months consistently. Cut off any splits and damage.

A strong protein suggestion: Aphogee Two-Step Protein (followed by their Balancing Moisturizing Conditioner). This can only be done once every six weeks.

Once you've done a strong protein, maintain strength with milder proteins such as Motions CPR, Aubrey Organics GPB, Aphogee Intensive 2-Minute Keratin Reconstructor, Nexxus Keraphix, ORS Mayo, ORS Replenshing Pak, Fantasia High Potency IC Super Concentrated Reconstructor, and many more....

Each week, I'd do a milder protein and follow with a moisturizing treatment, to keep the strands fortified as you nurture it back to health. All proteins are not equal. Some coat the hair, others bind to the shaft, some fill in pores, etc.... By circulating them, you should have a nice balanced regimen. Pay attention to how your hair reacts and along the way, you'll build a solid and reliable regimen.

During the week, moisturize the hair and treat it gently. If you return to weaves, be sure to spray your own hair daily with a weave/braid spray to add moisture.

If you have porous hair, be sure to incorporate products that seal in the cuticles. By doing so, your hair will be able to better absorb and hold moisture. I like Roux Porosty Control.

Last edited:

PAgirl

I used to have extreme breakage. What helped me was the Aphogee 2 Step Protein Treatment. I bought the sample pack from my bss and it stopped the breakage for a few weeks. Since then I have just been moisturizing and doing protective styles and the breakage has nearly stopped.:yep: