Fall/winter, Braid-out/ Twist-out Routines

Joigirl

@Joigirl, very pretty! I am gong to try this technique this weekend, how long do your b/o's last using this routine?

Only a couple of days if I'm going to work because it gets too big, about three days otherwise. I pineapple to maintain the style. I just add a little water and a little Buttercreme and retwist it overnight to create a twist out for the remainder of the week. My hair doesn't hold B/Os as long as twist outs though, so it may last longer for you. Another tip is that I like to roll the rods over rather than under for more volume.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Only a couple of days if I'm going to work because it gets too big, about three days otherwise. I pineapple to maintain the style. I just add a little water and a little Buttercreme and retwist it overnight to create a twist out for the remainder of the week. My hair doesn't hold B/Os as long as twist outs though, so it may last longer for you. Another tip is that I like to roll the rods over rather than under for more volume.
My hair doesn't hold bo's long st all. That's my only problem with them. I have to rebraid often. I'm loving the volume from them though.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I love her braid and curl. Right now I'm using my natural curl on the ends but I'm going to try either perm rods or satin rollers soon.....if I can find mine.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Is anyone having any luck with their braid or twist outs? I've been leaving my braids in for days because I'm home a lot more now. I'll try to take pics whenever I take them down. I'm hoping my hair will grow and thicken a lot doing this.

Daina

Tried some new products last night from Qhemet Biologics as my hair has been acting funky with the change in weather - no matter what I do I've been battling dryness and loss of definition. Last night I LCOB'd and moisturized my hair with CRN moisture milk, followed with QB burdock root cream, followed with QB honey hair balm and buttered with CRN curlaide moisture butter. I didn't get to do my hair until late after midnight and I was worried the braids wouldn't set as I get up at 5:00am. Well I took my braids down fully expecting to have to bun and I have the most juicy, moist and well defined braid out today!!!! My hair is super soft and has nice bounce. The first real test will be if I can maintain this moisture and definition all day? If I do, I may have found a new combination of products for fall/winter for my braid/twist outs. The second test will be if I maintain this moisture and definition for 2nd day hair without having to re-braid...stay tuned! Will try to post a picture tonight when I get home.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Attempting another braidout. I started my hair at 744pm last night and finished at 902pm.

It's now 1239 pm and my hair is still damp. I leave the house in an hour. I tried to blow dry it a little but not sure that helped. I have a feeling I'll be putting my hair in a bun if it's still damp when I unravel in an hour.

I used Soultanicals Curly Grail styler.

Daina

Ok finally remembered to take a picture. I'm really bad at selfies and forgive the dirty mirror in my bathroom my 13 year old was doing his hair in my bathroom and gets product everywhere.

Used the same Qhemet products so will definitely be ordering full size containers during BF.

Attachments

• 20161107_085911.jpg
    585.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 20161107_085848.jpg
    547.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 20161107_062851.jpg
    651 KB · Views: 41

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
I just don't understand why my braid outs aren't flawless. I was looking at a video on YT last night. I think her name is Moisyhee? Not sure but her technique is the same. My length is a tad bit longer than hers and her hair is FLAWLESS and EASY.

The only thing is... most products she used had a high content of coconut oil, which for me is a NO GO.

My hair is approaching BSL and for the life of me, I still cant get a braidout down. A friend of mine said I should try cornrows instead of plaits.

I'll experiment on the weekends.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
I just don't understand why my braid outs aren't flawless. I was looking at a video on YT last night. I think her name is Moisyhee? Not sure but her technique is the same. My length is a tad bit longer than hers and her hair is FLAWLESS and EASY.

The only thing is... most products she used had a high content of coconut oil, which for me is a NO GO.

My hair is approaching BSL and for the life of me, I still cant get a braidout down. A friend of mine said I should try cornrows instead of plaits.

I can't get my braidouts to look nice on plaits, only cornrows, so hopefully this works for you too.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas

I've been thinking of trying flat braids too but I such at it. I've been practicing so hopefully I can soon manage these 4 braids like she did.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
This isn't a braid out it's my hair air dried before the braid out. I am so impressed with how moisturized my curls are after the SM Manuka Honey mask.

Attachments

• IMG_1200.JPG
    IMG_1200.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1202.JPG
    IMG_1202.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 84
Last edited:

vevster

Thanks for the suggestion I have predominantly 4a very coily hair. I may have to stretch as you suggested. Not really sure I want to put in all that effort. I may have to mosey back over to the wash in go thread and just admire the braid outs and twist outs from a far.....

I have fine 4a hair and if I do too many braids my hair turns out frizzy. I must also apply a very generous amount of product to each section.

VictoriousBrownFlower

So I'm trying a braidout for the first time in prob 2 months. I originally wanted to wear them for the fall/winter but my hair was just not agreeing with me for some reason. I don't know why but they were coming out undefined and really frizzy. I went back to using all the same products I always used to do my hair but it didn't seem to help. So this time I really paid attention to my technique.

I shampooed my hair very thoroughly. Then did a 20 min deep con with Myhoneychild's coconut papaya hair paste. After that I put just enough giovanni direct leave in to coat the hair but not too much. Sealed with hemp seed butter and applied herbal essense totally twisted gel per section. I used much more gel than I was using before(hopefully it will keep it from frizzing). Then combed it through and braided. I placed perm rods at the ends of the back braids because I don't like how stringy my ends look in the back without them.

I did more braids than I was doing with my previous braidouts (11) and didn't braid all the way down to the ends. Instead I left maybe half an inch unbraided and just finger coiled the ends. So far the braids are looking very curly and there's def a gel cast. If all goes well I'll post pics. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

faithVA

I'm trying Alikay Naturals Creme Brulee. It doesn't have glycerin. It was in my give-away pile but I had to pull it out since most of my products have glycerin. Yesterday I did 9 flat twist. I realized that if I made them too big I had a nice wave but not enough definition to hold. So today, I'm trying 12 flat twist and have put perm rods on the ends.

I looked at my Nubian Heritage Foam Wrap and it has glycerin too :nono: I was going to try it for my flat twists.

Hopefully tomorrow I will have good definition and at least a little hold.