Fall/winter, Braid-out/ Twist-out Routines

Alma Petra

I know you didn't ask me, but this might address your first question.

Awww thank you so much Yvette!

I am disappointed that the braid outs produce waves rather than curls.

Have you ever tried any of the two methods? Do you get results similar to hers?

I asked because: I want to find something easy to do that can mimic my natural curl pattern and give me good definition. I know that twist outs can come close to that but I have two problems:

1. My twists untwist immediately to a very loose good-for-nothing form, so if I want them to stay I have to apply a number of bobby pins to each one of them which is not very practical. I know from previous experience that my hair can keep braids so I was hoping to try them for braid-outs.

2. For some obscure reason, one of the two strands in the two-strand twists acts as a pole around which the other one twists and so when I take them down one is nicely spiral in shape and the other one is rather straight.

Compare the curls from the first strand in the two first pictures to those in the third one

Does anybody else face this problem? And have you found a way to prevent it?

Also does anybody do three strand twists? Do they also tend to unravel easily? And what curl pattern results from them?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Awww thank you so much Yvette!

I am disappointed that the braid outs produce waves rather than curls.

Have you ever tried any of the two methods? Do you get results similar to hers?

I asked because: I want to find something easy to do that can mimic my natural curl pattern and give me good definition. I know that twist outs can come close to that but I have two problems:

1. My twists untwist immediately to a very loose good-for-nothing form, so if I want them to stay I have to apply a number of bobby pins to each one of them which is not very practical. I know from previous experience that my hair can keep braids so I was hoping to try them for braid-outs.

2. For some obscure reason, one of the two strands in the two-strand twists acts as a pole around which the other one twists and so when I take them down one is nicely spiral in shape and the other one is rather straight.

Compare the curls from the first strand in the two first pictures to those in the third one

Does anybody else face this problem? And have you found a way to prevent it?

Also does anybody do three strand twists? Do they also tend to unravel easily? And what curl pattern results from them?

Hi! I'm low on time right now so I can't respond, but I feel I might forget to say this if I don't do it now: That same lady in the video I linked above has a comparison video comparing 2-strand and 3-strand twists. If you go to her YouTube page and go to her VIDEOS link/tab on it, you should be able to find it. Sorry I can't like it right now. Let me know (tag me) if you never find it.

Hopefully others can answer your other questions. Awesome hair you have! :smile:

P.S. I tagged you on a post a while ago about DevaCurl Decadence One Condition: Turns out it DOES define other LHCF folks' curls. :yep: Good deal!

Alma Petra

Hi! I'm low on time right now so I can't respond, but I feel I might forget to say this if I don't do it now: That same lady in the video I linked above has a comparison video comparing 2-strand and 3-strand twists. If you go to her YouTube page and go to her VIDEOS link/tab on it, you should be able to find it. Sorry I can't like it right now. Let me know (tag me) if you never find it.

Hopefully others can answer your other questions. Awesome hair you have! :smile:

P.S. I tagged you on a post a while ago about DevaCurl Decadence One Condition: Turns out it DOES define other LHCF folks' curls. :yep: Good deal!

Awesome! Thank you so much. I'll go search for it and I'll let you know what I think.

Take care...

Alma Petra

So @YvetteWithJoy it seems that there isn't a lot of difference in the curl pattern between the 2 and 3 strand twist outs. But the 3 strands might have an advantage in stability?

Hmmm I think that I will try the three styles in a few locks of my hair before I go to bed and see what I get tomorrow morning. I'll let you know what happens.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Intersting thread! So guys would a braid out look exactly the same as a twist out? And if not, which method mimics best the natural curl pattern of curly hair? Of course the diameter of the curl should depend on the size of the individual twists/braids.
They aren't the same on me. My braid outs frizz quicker than twist outs. It's almost like I'm trying to make my hair do something it doesn't want to. Like it's working against instead of with my natural curl pattern if that makes any sense. Twist outs go with my curls much better than braid outs

Alma Petra

They aren't the same on me. My braid outs frizz quicker than twist outs. It's almost like I'm trying to make my hair do something it doesn't want to. Like it's working against instead of with my natural curl pattern if that makes any sense. Twist outs go with my curls much better than braid outs
Thank you @Vshanell for your response. The other day I tried 2 strand twists vs braids for an experimental "out" and yes the braid out was frizzier and more irregular than the twist out even though it didn't have that tendency to unravel. I'll try to experiment more with it to see it I can get good results.

But surprisingly (mentioning @YvetteWithJoy as well) the more "rough" crown area was able to better hold a twist without wanting to completely unravel. I put 2 big 2 strand twists there and when they dried I ended up with nicely defined spiral curls that blended well (if I say so myself) with my tighter natural curls underneath them. I was delightfully surprised with the end result because it seemed to nicely disguised my over-processed area. Have a look: (I'm on my phone. I hope the photo isn't too huge)

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Thank you @Vshanell for your response. The other day I tried 2 strand twists vs braids for an experimental "out" and yes the braid out was frizzier and more irregular than the twist out even though it didn't have that tendency to unravel. I'll try to experiment more with it to see it I can get good results.

But surprisingly (mentioning @YvetteWithJoy as well) the more "rough" crown area was able to better hold a twist without wanting to completely unravel. I put 2 big 2 strand twists there and when they dried I ended up with nicely defined spiral curls that blended well (if I say so myself) with my tighter natural curls underneath them. I was delightfully surprised with the end result because it seemed to nicely disguised my over-processed area. Have a look: (I'm on my phone. I hope the photo isn't too huge)

GORGEOUS, lady!

Nice, nice joy. The crown looks GREAT!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
(Note: The photos in this post enlarge upon click.)

Method
ASIDE: ETA . . . The next time, I will apply Camille Rose Naturals "Style Setter" beneath the Curl Maker -- to try to increase the life of the twist out.

WP_20170422_055.jpg

Section hair into 8 ponytails (for now leave ponytail hair out, untwisted and un-bantu-knotted).

Cleanse with Sheaterra Mud-Poo: Coat like a paste and leave in for 10 minutes. Rinse out.

DC with APB Ultra Conditioning Soufflé: Hair is still in 8 ponytails after rinsing out the mud. Squeeze excess water out of all 8 ponytails. Section by section: Apply DC via praying hands method. Detangle with wide tooth comb and loosely twist up each ponytail into one twist. Pin twists up on top of head. DC under dryer for 50 minutes or so (less is probably fine).

In shower, with cool water rinse DC from each untwisted ponytail one at a time, removing shed hair. Do showerly duties, allowing hair to dry some.

Apply Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker and install two strand twists section by section: Feel the section and decided whether to install two or three twists into the section. Apply Curl Maker to the to-be-twisted-up-at-the-moment, smaller amount of hair . . . enough so that this smaller section of hair feels slimly from root to tip. Twist this smaller section, smoothing thumb and index finger down the strands while twisting. REMOVE EXCESS GEL FROM OUTSIDE OF EACH TWIST BY SQUEEZING HAND AROUND TWIST AND GENTLY PULLING HAND DOWN TWIST TO THE TWIST'S END. Repeat until all twists are installed.

(photo showing size of twists and clips at ends to weigh down hair a bit during drying)

WP_20170421_045.jpg

Weigh twists down by clipping a clip at the bottom. Can clip 2-3 twists together with one clip at the bottom. Sit under dryer as long as desired. Pin twists around head to elongate and stretch them. Wrap head and sleep to allow air drying as needed.

The next day, apply oil to each twist. Oil hands. Untwist each twist, separating them where they naturally desire to separate. Pull hair to shape it, but carefully to avoid frizzing hair. Use pick at roots to fluff hair and add volume. As needed on various sections, hold ends and use pick near bottom of hair or middle of hair to help with shaping. All done!

Last edited:

Alma Petra

Hi @lonei and @Coilystep

Unfortunately I haven't used neither As I Am nor Curls for a braid or twist out. I have used Curls Curl Souffle for a wash and go. The definition and hold aren't wow with it. But wash and gos are very different from twist outs. And to be honest products act differently on different people's heads.

Personally I do limited twist outs with my wash and gos at the crown area occasionally. The results look like the photo above in this post

https://longhaircareforum.com/threa...wist-out-routines.801543/page-5#post-23779345

The twists give my frizzy crown area good definition as you can see. The products I use are those I use for the wash and go itself, so usually I do the LOC method then use KCCC topped with Wetline gel as stylers.

I don't do braid outs but I used to do bantu knot outs. I again do the LOC method and then I use aloe vera gel (Dr Organic brand) topped with a tiny bit of Wetline gel as my stylers.

I will come back later to share more photos of my crown twist outs and my bantu knot outs.

I'm mostly texlaxed but the very roots are natural and the first couple of inches from the roots are rather bone relaxed.

lonei

Hi @lonei and @Coilystep

Unfortunately I haven't used neither As I Am nor Curls for a braid or twist out. I have used Curls Curl Souffle for a wash and go. The definition and hold aren't wow with it. But wash and gos are very different from twist outs. And to be honest products act differently on different people's heads.

Personally I do limited twist outs with my wash and gos at the crown area occasionally. The results look like the photo above in this post

https://longhaircareforum.com/threa...wist-out-routines.801543/page-5#post-23779345

The twists give my frizzy crown area good definition as you can see. The products I use are those I use for the wash and go itself, so usually I do the LOC method then use KCCC topped with Wetline gel as stylers.

I don't do braid outs but I used to do bantu knot outs. I again do the LOC method and then I use aloe vera gel (Dr Organic brand) topped with a tiny bit of Wetline gel as my stylers.

I will come back later to share more photos of my crown twist outs and my bantu knot outs.

I'm mostly texlaxed but the very roots are natural and the first couple of inches from the roots are rather bone relaxed.

Thank you very much. Beautiful pics x

faithVA

It's holiday time which is probably the only times I wear my hair I. I usually do some type of twist out during December for the holiday party and then again in February or April for an annual event. Last year I think I did a rollerset but I don't feel like doing a rollerset but I need to decide what I am doing for the holiday party. I'm leaning towards doing a flat twist out but I need it to last the entire day of work and into the evening of the Christmas party. That's a tall order since my hair tends to frizz up and lose definition as the day goes on.

I blowdried on Saturday. I put in about 13 flat twist and put blue perm rods on the end. I was tired so I didn't put any extra gel on my twist. On take down it looked nice and was soft but I could tell it was too soft to hold but it gave me a starting point.

Sunday Morning
FlatTwistOut.jpg FlatTwistOutRight.jpg

Sunday Evening
20171119_200008.jpg

faithVA

Sunday Evening I tried to prepare my hair better. I moisturized lightly with TGIN Daily Moisturizer. I used an argan oil serum on my ends. I mixed 2 tsp of Alikay Naturals Creme Brulee and 1 tsp of Mane Choice 24k gel. I used the gel and put in approximately 13 flat twists and used blue perm rods on the end.

I didn't get a pic from Monday morning. The twist were tighter and I had more hold. I had to separate a little bit more since the twist were more defined. My boss had her office like a sauna so my hair started to poof pretty early this morning. However, I noticed it did all of the poofing it had to do in the first 2 hours and then didn't change for the rest of the day. It wasn't perfect but it was wearable.

I also noticed that my bang is longer and droops faster. It looses the most definition. I am going to make the twist smaller and see if that helps.

Monday End of Work Day
20171120_211540.jpg

Monday Night Prep
I moisturized my hair lightly with TGIN Daily Moisturizer. I used an argan oil serum on my ends and then sealed my ends with My Honey Child Type 4 Hair Cream. I'm trying to see if sealing my ends helps reduce the frizz. Unfortunately I didn't have much Alikay Naturals Creme Brulee left. I mixed the remainder of that with 1 large tsp of Mane Choice 24 k gel.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do for the rest of the week :perplexed:

I will make the twist smaller in the front and do the twist the same size as before for the remainder.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
It's holiday time which is probably the only times I wear my hair I. I usually do some type of twist out during December for the holiday party and then again in February or April for an annual event. Last year I think I did a rollerset but I don't feel like doing a rollerset but I need to decide what I am doing for the holiday party. I'm leaning towards doing a flat twist out but I need it to last the entire day of work and into the evening of the Christmas party. That's a tall order since my hair tends to frizz up and lose definition as the day goes on.

I blowdried on Saturday. I put in about 13 flat twist and put blue perm rods on the end. I was tired so I didn't put any extra gel on my twist. On take down it looked nice and was soft but I could tell it was too soft to hold but it gave me a starting point.

Sunday Morning
View attachment 416901 View attachment 416903

Sunday Evening
View attachment 416905
Cute. Your hair is growing nicely. What products do you use for the twists. My hair responds best with a mousse or setting lotion.
Oops...hadn’t read the second post.

faithVA

Cute. Your hair is growing nicely. What products do you use for the twists. My hair responds best with a mousse or setting lotion.
Oops...hadn’t read the second post.
:lol: Its ok.

Thank you.

My hair is too heavy for a mousse or setting lotion. It also needs something more moisturizing and with more hold.

So far the gel is working out.

From what I remember from your pics I can see a mousse working well for your hair.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
:lol: Its ok.

Thank you.

My hair is too heavy for a mousse or setting lotion. It also needs something more moisturizing and with more hold.

So far the gel is working out.

From what I remember from your pics I can see a mousse working well for your hair.
I do love the MC 24k gel. I’m gonna have to try it for my next time.

faithVA

I had good results from last nights prep. I did a larger section at the crown which I won't do again. It didn't end up laying right and gave me a crazy layered look.

Here's my end of day for Tuesday
FlatTwistOutEndOfDay3_Tuesday.jpg

I'm not sure why on Sunday and today, I got the nice V shape but didn't get it on Monday. Have no clue what I did differently.

My hair is starting to feel a bit sticky so I may just reactive with water the next time I retwist. Tonight I mixed 1 tsp of Mane Choice 24 kt with 1 tsp of Kinky Curly gel. I did about 17 twists and went back to my smaller section at the crown.

With just the few days of experimentation its good to know I can wear my hair out without a problem.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Last night, used SB RW Leave in and C&C Marmalade for a braid out. Still working on how to lay the braids. I didnt fluff because Ill have a hat on all day and the back is still damp.

Attachments

• EA7D9FE9-C943-4DBF-92EC-763B68EF73DE.jpeg
    EA7D9FE9-C943-4DBF-92EC-763B68EF73DE.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 57

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Oh this is just what I need thanks @shawnyblazes I've decided to stop doing twists and do twistouts this winter.

This is a trial run, so lets see how this develops. Im protecting my ends with heavy sealing.Its been about a month, so far so good.

Ill be back with deets.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Rewashed my hair on Sunday and after conditioning added GK Knot Melt Detangling leave in. After it was slightly damp, I twisted with PJN Rice Water custard.

It has a lot of hold which I think is the carbomer so we will see what my twist out looks like Friday morning.

I dont really twist to wear the twists so my twists usually arent uniform. I wear hat during the week and it rarely comes off during the work day.

Attachments

• 0CE4510C-EAD5-410A-B06C-EDFDA53F507F.jpeg
    0CE4510C-EAD5-410A-B06C-EDFDA53F507F.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 46

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Washed my hair yesterday and styled my braids with KC Moisturizing Curling Cream. Hold seems to be soft. I'll see what it looks like when I unravel tomorrow.