FALL/WINTER HAIR CARE

mezzogirl

The temperature is getting colder outside and the heat is starting to come on inside. My hair is feeling dryer than it did in the summer. Can all you veterans tell me if you change your regime during the fall/winter months?

Does your hair seem to need more moisture? What do you do to accomodate your hair and the effect the cold temperatures have on the hair? :freezing: This is my first LHCF Fall/winter and I need your assistance. Look forward to hearing from you.

naturalgurl

This will be my first "knowledgeable" winter as well. I wet my hair daily but I KNOW that is going to have to change. I'll probably be doing more DC's or something. Looks like a trial and error winter for me!

taylokc

I've been a member for a year but I didn't do too good last winter. I think its cuz I was new and still acquiring information from the lovely ladies here at LHCF. I can tell you this. Last winter I loss 3inches of hair because of scarves and wool coats. Moisturize as much as you can and WEAR YOUR HAIR UP!!!! I can't say that enough. I think that's wear I went wrong. I got all excited about my swang and end up hurting myself in the end. Anyways, co-wash as much as possible too. I think this technique is more beneficial in the winter time. I didn't realize how much becuase I was new to LHCF but now I know. I just bought me a really big bottle of tressemme for $3.00 at Walmart and I intend to use that and my Boudless Tresses to aid in length retention and growth this winter. Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mezzogirl

I've been a member for a year but I didn't do too good last winter. I think its cuz I was new and still acquiring information from the lovely ladies here at LHCF. I can tell you this. Last winter I loss 3inches of hair because of scarves and wool coats. Moisturize as much as you can and WEAR YOUR HAIR UP!!!! I can't say that enough. I think that's wear I went wrong. I got all excited about my swang and end up hurting myself in the end. Anyways, co-wash as much as possible too. I think this technique is more beneficial in the winter time. I didn't realize how much becuase I was new to LHCF but now I know. I just bought me a really big bottle of tressemme for $3.00 at Walmart and I intend to use that and my Boudless Tresses to aid in length retention and growth this winter. Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Three inches of hair loss???:eek: See that's exactly why I started this thread. I'm trying to avoid set backs. I appreciate your sharing, it helps:yep:

Dposh167

i rollerset a lot...and cowash less. but im on a '1x a month' heat regimen so ill still be cowashing tho not as often. I also use thicker oils in winter to seal like castor or hairveda cocasta. ill oil my scalp in winter with shea oil. my styles are usually half wigs, or phony ponys that i make into a full bun....i will be baggying A LOT this winter.

Sunshyn3

I don't change my regimen. However, most ppl choose thicker moisturizers, oils, and wear protective styles more often (buns, wigs, weave, braids etc.) to combat the harsh weather.

naturalgurl

Yeah, I think I'll invest in some hair for phony ponys and I might get a half wig, who knows. I also thought about getting a full head of weave with hair similar to my texture. I'm thinking more about covering my head and winters here in the deep south don't last very long anyway.

MizAvalon

I just moisturize a little more.

I have taken a little break from CW but I think I'm going to start back up again.

Mimi22

I was gonna start a thread like this :grin:
I'm nervous this winter cuz I usally lose a lot of length :nono:

In the years before I got sew-in weaves and braids, but they worked against me whatever the weather!

This winter, I'm co-washing 2-3x on weeknights and doing DCx2 a week. I invested in Jojoba oil to retain moisture on my ends and I'm hoping to see a vast length retention.

On my way to work, I'm gonna cover my hair with a snood to protect from the harsh winter cold. I'm gonna avoid heat; there's no point if its jus gonna get wet & frizzy again :ohwell:

So far, everything is good :yep:

JustKiya

I've updated my leave-in to be a little thicker, and I'm steaming once a week. Otherwise - I always keep my hair up, and I've been DC'ing twice a week for a minute now, so those parts of my reggie are cool.

I'd definitely suggest that if you do wear your hair down, besuper aware of what your hair is rubbing on - maybe invest in a couple of pretty silk scarves for the winter? And make sure the inside of your hat is hair friendly, too. :yep:

Chameleonchick

I've decided that if my hair is not in braids or weaves then I will only get to wash my hair once a week maybe twice :sad: I love to wash my hair but I don't want to get sick either. :nono: Also I will try this bunning thing and maybe some phony ponies too.

mezzogirl

I've decided that if my hair is not in braids or weaves then I will only get to wash my hair once a week maybe twice :sad: I love to wash my hair but I don't want to get sick either. :nono: Also I will try this bunning thing and maybe some phony ponies too.

What did you do with your hair last winter? How did you hair make it through last winter?

Toy

I'm not going to change my regime,i will be upping the moisture and keeping the ends well protected

bklyncurly

I'm going to deep con every week. I've been slacking off (getting lazy) and my hair needs an extra umph to get it ready for fall/winter. Hairveda's deep con & hair oil (forget the name) are wonderful. I accidentally spilled 1/2 of my bottle of oil. :wallbash: So now, I have to stock up again!

Ooh, and since I flat ironed yesterday (I needed a trim - which I still haven't found time to do), I've been playing in my hair again. When I wear it natural (curly), I never play in my hair because it will frizz to twice it's size!:lachen:So, I will make a conscious effort to LEAVE MY HAIR ALONE!! :yep:

natstar

Last winter my hair was dried out a lot and it tangled a lot. I wore twists and didn't really detangle like I was supposed to. This winter will be different because I did an overhaul of my regimen at the end of August.

Currently I am deep conditioning 2 x a week-every 3-4 days I am washing, alternating with shampoo or just deep cond. My DC has to be on for at least 30 min. I am also moisturizing and sealing 2x a day cause I don't want any setbacks. I have made a LOT of changes to my regimen but this a just the main ones that I think will get me at a better place after this winter ends.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I wore braids last winter and will do the same this winter. I will wash weekly, cornrow, and mositurize like heck, slap on my LF and call it a week.

Chameleonchick

What did you do with your hair last winter? How did you hair make it through last winter?

I know I washed it pretty often, but I was also very pregnant and stayed inside often. I believe if I wasn't washing my hair as much I would have retained more length. So we'll see this time. I do remember the last two months of winter I got some braids put in, I did not want to do my hair with a new baby in the house.

Eisani

First and foremost, if a humidifier is in your budget, invest in one! This saved my hair last winter, even when I was sick. I put down the coconut and Vatika oils-they make my hair hard while outside then soften once I'm back in a heated environment. I don't like that. I use loads of jojoba, EVOO and JBCO, CoCasta oil for prepoos and scalp massages daily and moisturize twice/day. One of those times is usually baggying at night. Buns or other protective styles to keep my ends hydrated and hidden and keep my hair off my coats and sweaters. Silk and satin scarves and headbands protect my nape from my coats and sweaters as well. DCs 2x's/wk, doing hair at night (hard for me). No direct heat. I got a lot of growth last winter, no set backs hair loss or damage.

Cleve_gryl

First and foremost, if a humidifier is in your budget, invest in one!
I use this every winter in my bedroom, warm air mist is the bomb!!

I wash and DC about once a week now that its colder vs. twice a week. My hair has already gone up. Buns, pin-ups, and my phony bun are in heavy rotation already. :yep:

Muffinz05

I moisturize a little more in the colder months and I even try to hide my hair under scarfs so it wouldn't dry out. I know I plan to wear cornrows or two strand twist for most of the winter.

Mrs.Green

This is my first full winter of hair care:yep:.

I will be doing weekly rollersets and protective styling my straight dry hair, instead of co-washing daily, wet bunning. I will just keep moisturizing and sealing my ends.

So far I think I like this better I loose far less hair than I did cowashing so much :look: