Fall/Winter Hair Goals

Yoshi3329

Great thread!! I'll try to keep this short because fall/winter has always meant
MURDER for my hair!!! I mean, horrible, crazy, tear-jerking breakage!! And dry, dry, miserably dry, brittle, straw-like hair that even if you walked into the same room with it, it would break off!

Sorry, I just had a moment, hehe... :look:

Anyway, my hair plans/goals are as follows:

1. Moisturize, moisturize, MOISTURIZE!!! :darkcloud: I am not playin'! I cannot afford to get lazy with this and I WILL moisturize my hair every single day!!!

2. Co-wash no less than three times a week and DC at least once a week.

3. Get into some serious protective and low manipulation styles and learn to cornrow!

4. During the summer I haven't been using any oils but during the winter I will be sealing with Crisco. Yes Crisco! I read some really great stuff about it somewhere on this forum and want to try it.

5. Straighten my hair only when I hit my ten month mark, and then one more time at one year. But only if it's doing well and showing no signs of breakage.

6. Reach SL for the first time of my life by my one year BC anniversary!! I am DETERMINED!!! I will not :deadhorse: this winter! I WILL RETAIN MY LENGTH!! ALL OF IT!!!! :mwahahafire::Run:

Sorry if I went off the deep end a lil'! :grin: but this winter is really crucial to my HHJ because for the first time I actually know how to properly care for my hair and really want to see it flourish! :yep:

O_O

*GULPS*

Um, you okay over there?
:hide:

j/k

Sianna

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Y'all just don't understand! I have ALWAYS had really short hair and now I'm pretty much convinced that its because I just didn't know how to care for it and to keep it moisturized. Now that I have a better idea of what my hair likes, I plan on maintaining my length and not letting my hair break off. Like I said, winter has always dried it out quite severely and so I am really motivated to break the cycle this time!

Oh and Yoshi3329, I know you was serious!! :lachen::lachen:

Shananyganz

I started a 9 month Protective Style Plan to APL in March 2010 and so far, I have stuck to it and my hair has more than thanked me for it. I am about 6.5- 7 inches all over; I guesstimate I need another 3 inches in order for my longest layer to comfortably graze APL by end of year. If I stick to the plan as outlined below, I can do/retain 3 inches easy.

Picking up where the plan last left off at the end of June::

- Individual braids [(July 5th- Sept 24th) redo edges every 3 to 4 weeks, other areas as needed]
-Rest hair [(Sept 25th - Oct 1st) twist out, bantu knots...very low manipulation styles]
- Full Sew-in Weave [(Oct 2nd- Dec 31st) leave edges out]
- Length check and trim [(January 2, 2011) will length check by stretching]

** The above is subject to change based on the response I get from my hair. For example, by change, I mean that I can choose to leave the braids in longer or take them out sooner, based on how my hair is fairing. I do not recommend leave a sew-in in for longer than 2 months, but for “ME” it works and my hair is fine once the installation is removed. The only ‘drama’ is I miss my hiar, but that is another story for another thread.

To maintain, I will::

1. Co-Wash and DC every 2 weeks.
2. Shampoo monthly followed by a clarifying conditioner if needed.
3. Oil Edges with Castor Oil every 3-4 days.
4. Continue to take vitamins.
5. Up my running game and water intake.
6. Moisturize hair every other day.

Major Purchases within the next 6 months::

1. A steamer
2. Blow Dryer
3. Flat Iron

** I am still researching brand, cost, and overall effectiveness and benefits. In addition, I am also trying to weigh price versus actual usage. I already have a blow dryer and a hooded dryer, (several years old and old school to boot) these things work well, but I am trying to take my hair care to the next level. I am also trying to anticipate where I want to go with my hair. Namely, if I want to start using heat in my 2nd year; if so, I want quality products.

As you can see, I have thoroughly thought this out.

~S~

Shananyganz

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Y'all just don't understand! I have ALWAYS had really short hair and now I'm pretty much convinced that its because I just didn't know how to care for it and to keep it moisturized. Now that I have a better idea of what my hair likes, I plan on maintaining my length and not letting my hair break off. Like I said, winter has always dried it out quite severely and so I am really motivated to break the cycle this time!

Oh and Yoshi3329, I know you was serious!! :lachen::lachen:

I feel you...when you knwo better, you (should) do better...and if it takes a little of the 'extra' mixed with some determination...so be it.

~S~

1. Continue my transition!
2. Use protective styling (e.g. updos, buns)
3. Moisturize and seal twice a day
4. DC once a week
5. Co-wash 2x a week
6. Continue no-pooing
7. Trim my relaxed ends every three months or longer
8. Heat style once a month via roller sets

Last edited:

Loves Harmony

1. Dc twice a week
2. Keep my ends moisturize
3. Keep my ends protected
4. Stop cutting my hair
5. Stick with products that i know work

beans4reezy

1. Keep on PS'ing (Trying out weaves from aug- dec)
2. Up my DC's / Co-washes
3. Finally make up my mind about relaxing again or transitioning :)yawn::rolleyes:)

prospurr4

My fall/winter goals:

- Continue my current regimen
- In December, reach full WL with "straight-ish" hair. :look:
- In December, use my Creaclip (for the first time) to trim/cut my hair into a U-shape; ask DH to help...I KNOW he won't over-cut. :grin: (I am really looking forward to this one, because I am soooo tired of my uneven ends.)

bimtheduck

1. PS
2. pin down my staple products and STICK WITH IT!
3. DC
4. dont leave the house with damp hair
5. really keep my hair moisturized and keep porosity in control

SouthernBeauty

Last winter was my first winter as a natural and boy did I get frustrated! This year I am ready!

Deep Condition 1-2 a week
Moisturize and seal day & night
Hide my hair most of the winter
NO HEAT

hannan

-Moisturize and seal daily
-DC 1-2x per week and cowash 2x per week
-Eat healthier/drink more water
-NO HEAT!!!!!
-PS, PS, PS!
-Reach BSL by December :grin:

Last edited:

KaramelDiva1978

OOOOoohhhhhh good topic! Yes, I'm an hour away from you, so we finally had a real winter last year.:yep: I'm going to incorporate:

1.) Crown & Glory braids regimen --starting Aug 1st, so I can focus on school only.

2.) Learn how to keep my natural hair moisturized this winter. I have a feeling overnight baggying and spritizing will be out.

3.) Stick to the staples only and celebrate my length in December-- 7 months post BC.

4.) Rock kinky twists as my PS.

MsLizziA

OOOOoohhhhhh good topic! Yes, I'm an hour away from you, so we finally had a real winter last year.:yep: I'm going to incorporate:

1.) Crown & Glory braids regimen --starting Aug 1st, so I can focus on school only.

2.) Learn how to keep my natural hair moisturized this winter. I have a feeling overnight baggying and spritizing will be out.

3.) Stick to the staples only and celebrate my length in December-- 7 months post BC.

4.) Rock kinky twists as my PS.
Girl that winter was harsh cuz we not used to it.. i mean geez it was cold and then it started snowing n i was just like ok.. wow

lilsparkle825

*Keep hair stretched at all times....starting in November, 3 weeks of straight hair and one week of banded hair or twistouts per month. The last week of each month, my hair will be bunned.
*DC at least once a week
*Get back to BSL and STAY THERE by learning how to self-trim to avoid setbacks
*Toying with the idea of a kinky straight weave to protect my hair....currently rocking BoBraz (kinky curly)

ScorpioBeauty09

My goal is to be BSL by my birthday in late November or Christmas at the latest. So I pledge to:

1. Wear my hair up as often as possible
2. Implement more hair-growth foods into my diet and take my vitamins like clock work
3. Deep condition more often (between 1 and 2x a month)
4. Keep my hair moisturized at all times

silenttullip

Mine are

NOT TO FLAT IRON TIL DECEMBER
DO FREQUENT SEARCH AND DESTROYS
FIND A GOOD SILICONE FREE LEAVE IN
KEEP UP WITH MY REGGIE
USE CASTOR OIL
FIND STYLES OTHER THAN TWISTS, BANTUS, BRAIDS, ROLLERSETS, AND BLOWOUTS OR JUST GET A PHYTO RELAXER

BEAUTYU2U

- Find a protective style [ I'm doing away with scarves/headwraps for awhile]
- No wash-n-go's in iffy weather [ Tried this on the tip of spring - split ends]
- Be shoulder length in December [ It'll be my two year anniversary of the last perm, not BC ]

BEAUTYU2U

UMM...ok....... damn

Back to what i was originally gonna ask. You don't think that's a bit much for the winter?

:look: I did this last winter ... no problems. Then again, I didn't have a set number of co-washes per week. It was whenever I felt but usually about 3 times a week.

MsLizziA

:look: I did this last winter ... no problems. Then again, I didn't have a set number of co-washes per week. It was whenever I felt but usually about 3 times a week.
Really? I would just think it would get aggravating styling almost everyday

SingBrina

I just want my hair to be an inch past my bra strap!!! and even at that! Thicker and healthier! I want my bangs to grow to my chin! Thats it!

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
my hair goals for winter/fall are:

-dc 1-2x per week
-find staple products
-wear hair in two strand twists or straightened ♥

Junebug D

- I kind of want to stretch until December, but I'm not 100% sure yet.
- Improve scalp condition
- Learn to rollerset better
- Fewer ponytails and and fewer buns made with ponytail holders
- Strands touching BSL :look:

newbeginnings2010

Plait my way to fully natural hair! I want to be able to do neat, tight plaits (with my own short hair) pretty much year round while I'm transitioning. Kind of a Crown and Glory method. First I have to learn to make neater plaits!:grin:

ETA: Changed my mind about the above. Individual plaits (with real or fake hair) makes my scalp itch way too much. I don't think my scalp likes being exposed to the elements. :lol:

I'm working on bunning and DCing once per week and daily moisturizing. I also want to use up all of my products! I'm working on the ORS shampoo, Hawaiian Silky 14-in-1, and the S-Curl. Next in line is the Loreal SLS free shampoo.:grin:

Last edited:

NikkiQ

Okay...since I'm sure its gonna be a cold winter again down here in New Orleans(i mean look at how hot its been so far!), I'm gonna have to really step the hair game up since I'm in the early stages of transitioning.

1. Learn how to cornrow or flat twist my hair under my wigs
2. Dust hair ONLY WHEN NEEDED!
3. Stick with my Bee Mine Growth Serum religiously
4. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize...

MsLizziA

Okay...since I'm sure its gonna be a cold winter again down here in New Orleans(i mean look at how hot its been so far!), I'm gonna have to really step the hair game up since I'm in the early stages of transitioning.

1. Learn how to cornrow or flat twist my hair under my wigs
2. Dust hair ONLY WHEN NEEDED!
3. Stick with my Bee Mine Growth Serum religiously
4. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize...
girl look it was too damn cold nah its too damn hot... its crazy.. idk what the hell is up with the weather lately