Fall/Winter Routines

CurlyCoilycourt

Now that Fall is right around the corner are you ladies putting some products on the back burners or continuing to use the same ones? I mainly stay in braid-outs or wet buns(which I know are out for this season) and the products I use are geared towards humid weather.

I'm not an expert on certain ingredients i.e humectants and all :ohwell: but mainly wanted to know is it ok to use the same products in cold weather that I used this summer?

ms.blue

My products generally stay the same. I mainly use the qhemet line and in the warmer months I like to use brbc b/c its lighter but in the winter, I like using aohc more. Everything else stay the same.

naijamerican

KQT20, I have heard it said on several different natural hair sites that humectants aren't advisable during the winter months, because they will pull moisture from the air that isn't there and will thus dry out your hair. My knowledge of the science behind this is shaky, so hopefully someone else will chime in.

Some people use braids in the summer, but for me, I actually plan on going to braids this winter. I need to keep my hair in protective styles to retain length in the winter because the dry hair wreaks havoc on my ends. I hope to do the crown and glory method with Senegalese twists. :yep: I'm also thinking of simply braiding my own hair (without extensions) and rocking that all fall and winter long. :yep:

Shadiyah

since I stay in the house all seasons I basically keep everything the same through out the year. I will co wash everyday and apply jbco on scalp and hairveda whipped creme ends hydartions on my hair and plait it at night and curly during the day. I tried the plaiting style during the day to hide my ends and it was so much work for me because of my ilness it was too much work on my arms and then my neck would be messed up for the rest of the day. so I have to do what is easy for me and my hair is not touching my shoulders because I will put a band on it to hold it up. also there is no wind in my house so I don't think I will get as much damage as someone that goes out and when I do go out my hair is covered very well.

JeterCrazed

No hair spray allowed in the winter months :naughty: I also keep my hair wrapped in the house when the heat is on because it dries the air. I really don't put anything on my scalp in the spring/summer accept Emu oil or peppermint food favoring which soaks right in, but in fall/winter I use shea or olive.

Sent from my Desire HD using Desire HD

LaFemmeNaturelle

KQT20, I have heard it said on several different natural hair sites that humectants aren't advisable during the winter months, because they will pull moisture from the air that isn't there and will thus dry out your hair. My knowledge of the science behind this is shaky, so hopefully someone else will chime in.

Some people use braids in the summer, but for me, I actually plan on going to braids this winter. I need to keep my hair in protective styles to retain length in the winter because the dry hair wreaks havoc on my ends. I hope to do the crown and glory method with Senegalese twists. :yep: I'm also thinking of simply braiding my own hair (without extensions) and rocking that all fall and winter long. :yep:

2 in the morning, I just woke up, and I need to get OFF LHCF so I can study for my exams next Monday so I'll keep this plain and simple. Check your weather during the Winter to see if you can use humectants in the winter. Humectants draw moisture from WHEREVER has the MOST moisture and puts it to where it needs to go (wherever has the least moisture). More moisture in the air? It's going to draw from the air and put on your hair and vice versa. Some places have humid winters and some have dry winters (just like humid heat and dry heat). Check the dew point to tell you that. For more info on dew point, the first few lines on wiki should help you out. But it all depends on the dew point/humidity of wherever you live. HTH

Oh yeah and if this is wrong.....oh well. Someone correct it lol BYE!

hannan

I generally use more oils. I prepoo with coconut or olive oil, add oil to my deep conditioners, or do an oil rinse. I also heavy seal my ends with butter mixes instead of the lighter oil mixes I was using in the spring/summer. Depending on how my scalp's feeling, I'll oil my scalp too.

I won't necessarily do all of these on the same wash day but I always, always, always seal with "the butters. " :lol:

Mische

I don't change anything in my regimen by the seasons. I'm far too lazy to have separate products for different weather conditions. :lol: I even use my coconut oil during the Jersey winter. Hairstyles stay the same, too.