Fall/Winter Wash n go challenge

VictoriousBrownFlower

I also think your hair has to be wet enough too. I find when I have too much product but the hair is not wet enough I don't get as good definition.

I personally like applying product on damp hair and then spraying with water until it gets to a consistency I like. Also for some reason I don't get good results when I apply product to soaking wet hair. I have no idea why though.

I don't even bother with light products though so my way works with heavy stuff.
I agree my wash and goes don't do well on soaking wet hair ( shrinkage city) but works best on freshly washed but not towel dried hair.

After I rinse my dc with cold water I apply my leave in and sealant to the whole head. @GettingKinky I don't shingle because my hair turns out stringy and shrinks more.

I part my hair horizontally after applying my leave in and sealant starting from the nape in about a 1-2 inch section and clip up the rest up. Then apply my gel to the section until my hair feels sleek and slippery when I run my hands down the section( that's how I know I have enough).

I finger comb from the ends up smoothing and raking as I go along. I finger comb to seperate the big clumps into smaller clumps. As I do the curls start to form (before seperating by finger combing my hair is pin straight from the gel).

Once I'm done I may lightly shake my head from side to side if the section needs more encouraging to curl and move onto the next section.

My crown like yours is a looser texture than the back so I do all steps the same but instead of shaking to encourage curls I bounce my hand up and down at the bottom of the section bouncing the hair up until the waves form the way I want them to (hope that makes sense).

The whole thing takes roughly 15-20 min from leave in to styling.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I've gotten lazy and stopped DCing. I guess I'll go back to my dry DC before washing.

And I'll use a lot more gel next time. I keep reading that it's hard to use too much, but my brain doesn't absorb that message.

I used to NEVER use sufficient gel. (But I didn't know it was not enough gel.) I finally watched a YouTube tutorial (by The Mane Choice blogger, I believe), wherein the demonstrator used the phrase "enough gel until it's slimy."

I DEFINITELY wasn't using THAT much gel.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Dampened with catnip tea and aloe gel, sealed with Castor Mix, shellacked with Wetline Xtreme. Dang, I desperately need a trim. The damage is so obvious:

LavenderMint

I used to NEVER use sufficient gel. (But I didn't know it was not enough gel.) I finally watched a YouTube tutorial (by The Mane Choice blogger, I believe), wherein the demonstrator used the phrase "enough gel until it's slimy."

I DEFINITELY wasn't using THAT much gel.
My sister has been trying to do wash and go without gel (conditioner & oil) and they never turn out quite right. I offered to do one for her but she said it takes her hair too long to dry. I'll look up that video and see if she'll heed her advice.

Alma Petra

Awesome hair, ladies!

I still haven't mastered the wash and go, mainly because I just can't see myself taking an hour to shingle every single clump/piece of hair. I keep saying I'm going to try using a brush to distribute product through my hair, but I keep forgetting and doing the praying-hands method, when I really need to try an additional technique besides it.

So, this video is RIGHT on time. The brush she's using is a lot like my beloved KareCo Tangle Buster.

I can't wait for my relaxed ends which tangle like crazy to be gone (it will probably take years) for me to be able to shingle my hair or comb product through like this.

@YvetteWithJoy do you think that the brush in the video can function as nicely as your tangle buster? I think that I have access to this one.

I own a wide tooth comb which I love and I have always wondered why people use brushes instead of combs to detangle. Don't brushes have more rows with more teeth and thus more stuff for the hair to tangle in?

For the fun: I did some research about the brush in the video and I came across something very interesting. They say that this brush is basically a horse brush!!!

Check these posts out:

https://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/4/146810-detangling-brush-buyers-beware.html

http://www.lipstickalley.com/showthread.php/817059-This-detangling-brush-is-the-GOAT!

https://www.naturallycurly.com/curl...-using-horse-brushes-for-their-curly-hair-si/

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I can't wait for my relaxed ends which tangle like crazy to be gone (it will probably take years) for me to be able to shingle my hair or comb product through like this.

@YvetteWithJoy do you think that the brush in the video can function as nicely as your tangle buster? I think that I have access to this one.

I own a wide tooth comb which I love and I have always wondered why people use brushes instead of combs to detangle. Don't brushes have more rows with more teeth and thus more stuff for the hair to tangle in?

For the fun: I did some research about the brush in the video and I came across something very interesting. They say that this brush is basically a horse brush!!!

Check these posts out:

https://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/4/146810-detangling-brush-buyers-beware.html

http://www.lipstickalley.com/showthread.php/817059-This-detangling-brush-is-the-GOAT!

https://www.naturallycurly.com/curl...-using-horse-brushes-for-their-curly-hair-si/

Good question, @Alma Petra!

I think her brush might indeed function as nicely as the KareCo Tangle Buster. I knew about the horse thing. LOL! I purchased a knock-off of the brush in her video, because I couldn't get the original. The knockoff was not good on my hair. But I'm thinking it wasn't a great knockoff. I really wonder how the original would do my hair. :smile:

I don't know if my Tangle Buster brush will do exactly what she did with her brush in the video. I'm going to try it. I'll also just simply try using the KareCo Tangle Buster brush like regular -- just to distribute gel through my hair and try to define/clump my curls that way.

GGsKin

Day two hair this morning, after an overnight DC with Mielle Organics Babassu Oil, and clay wash with: sodium bentonite, rhassoul, kaolin, water (+fermented rice water), SAA...why do I feel like I'm forgetting something... Anyway, I finished by smoothing on KCCC, diluted with water and a splash of hibiscus tea.Instasize_0628071331.jpg

Alma Petra

Good question, @Alma Petra!

I think her brush might indeed function as nicely as the KareCo Tangle Buster. I knew about the horse thing. LOL! I purchased a knock-off of the brush in her video, because I couldn't get the original. The knockoff was not good on my hair. But I'm thinking it wasn't a great knockoff. I really wonder how the original would do my hair. :smile:

I don't know if my Tangle Buster brush will do exactly what she did with her brush in the video. I'm going to try it. I'll also just simply try using the KareCo Tangle Buster brush like regular -- just to distribute gel through my hair and try to define/clump my curls that way.

I did see people saying that the bristles of the horse brush were stiff and not gentle on the hair when compared to the FL brush.

Maybe you should buy it one day and write a review about a battle between it and the tangle buster :fallenangel::eyebrows2:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I did see people saying that the bristles of the horse brush were stiff and not gentle on the hair when compared to the FL brush.

Maybe you should buy it one day and write a review about a battle between it and the tangle buster :fallenangel::eyebrows2:

The knockoff of the FL brush BROKE my hair ends off. Very stiff bristles. I was alarmed!

GettingKinky

I think I need more moisture in my hair. Do you ladies do MHM? I bought clay a long time ago but I never tried MHM. I was worried that the clay would clog up my shower drain.

GettingKinky

I just reread the MHM process - it looks time consuming. I think I'm too lazy for all of that. I'm drawn to wash n go because it sounds quick and simple, but the more I learn the more work it seems to be. BI the maybe I will try the Cherry Lola process once to see what happens.

GGsKin

I think I need more moisture in my hair. Do you ladies do MHM? I bought clay a long time ago but I never tried MHM. I was worried that the clay would clog up my shower drain.

I used to do MHM, consistently for a long while. But too much ACV and baking soda in my mixes, and using those mixes far too often had my hair looking withered over time. My regimen now is kind of similar, minus the baking soda and ACV (and nowadays minus the frequent washes too). The clay hasn't blocked my drain yet, but I also have a catcher.

I will say washing my hair so often and smoothing on product gave me lots of practice, and allowed my hair to become well hydrated over time.

Last edited:

LavenderMint

Ladies! I've been passing on wng info to her for a while now; I sent her a video by The Mane Objective & she used the advice for her wng today.
Here's her results
IMG_0233.JPG
Yay!! This is the best so far! Thank you all for helping!!
What causes puffy roots? She's done everything she was "supposed" to.

ETA: Forgot to say, that's my big sister lol

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I just reread the MHM process - it looks time consuming. I think I'm too lazy for all of that. I'm drawn to wash n go because it sounds quick and simple, but the more I learn the more work it seems to be. BI the maybe I will try the Cherry Lola process once to see what happens.

I used to do MHM, consistently for a long while. But too much ACV and baking soda in my mixes, and using those mixes far too often had my hair looking withered over time. My regimen now is kind of similar, minus the baking soda and ACV (and nowadays minus the frequent washes too). The clay hasn't blocked my drain yet, but I also have a catcher.

I will say washing my hair so often and smoothing on product gave me lots of practice, and allowed my hair to become well hydrated over time.

@AbsyBlvd, I could have typed your exact same post. Except, I never used the baking soda. I just couldn't bring myself to do so. I ESPECIALLY agree with the bolded.

@GettingKinky, I think you can approximate the MHM to test it out and get the same results while saving time. What I did was to get an ACV-containing shampoo, a rhassoul clay product, and a botanical leave-in and gel (Kinky Curly Knot Today and Kinky Curly Curling Custard).

The reason I felt comfortable doing an adapted version of the MHM was because I stumbled across a product brand designed to do the same thing: TerraVeda Organics products at https://terravedaorganix.com/.

The products were SO not good for my hair. :lol: But I was inspired. At the TVO site, they have a "Learning Center" page that outlines how to do the max hydration method with just their products (no baking soda mixing and stuff), including an accelerated version of the TVO MHM at https://terravedaorganix.com/pages/tvo-method-for-max-hydration-5. I took notes and adapted what I learned to my own preferred products.

GettingKinky

I already wash with a baking soda water mixture and rinse with dilute ACV every week. So far my hair doesn't seem to mind. I have to read more about the method maybe there's a way I can modify to keep it simple.

GettingKinky

I ordered liquid amino mini acids from Amazon. I may do the cherry lola this weekend.

I'm not sure what I will do afterwards. DC? Just style? I have more reading to do.