Fall/Winter Wash n go challenge

VictoriousBrownFlower

Plus a
Unless I find that my hair is super tangled when I wash tomorrow, I may have found my new staple style for awhile- a low wash n go pony/puff with twists in the front. The wash n go is easy and with the twists in the front I don't have to slick down my edges and wear a scarf. And even if my wash n go comes out poorly it doesn't matter when it's pulled back in a puff.
Plus it looks awesome and gives you room to experiment with products to see how they effect the look of your wash and go. It gives you room to play whenever you want and not worry because you can throw it in that style and look awesome regardless of how it turns out.

Winner/Winner... It's always awesome to find a style that gives you all you need of it.

VictoriousBrownFlower

Now that I've figured out a way to get the front of my hair under control I may actually wear my wash and go out at work one day in the near future. In this picture the back is a little wonky since I just took it out of a pony tail.

View attachment 406817
If it wasn't for the dent where the ponytail holder was this is def a cute style. You could prob get the dents out by spraying with water. Hmmm...Just thinking out loud

Anyways this is totally wearable especially if your trying to get use to wearing your hair out because it's not everything it's just enough to feel comfie but show off your natural hair..

Plus both styles fit you. At least from what I can see of you.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
I did a wash n go with Camille Rose Latte leave-in/Soultanicals Mango Dip Detangling slip and Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil gel. It turned out so terribly that I put it up before I remembered to take a picture.

I started with the latte and Shea Moisture on the right, but the Late made the Shea Moisture gel "foam", so i switched to Soultanicals. This was better, but the Shea Moisture gel is so thin and watery that it did nothing but give me frizz and dry hair. Someone said it was Snot-like, but it is not. It was a very light liquid

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
My wash n go came out decently today. My curl definition is very good. If I could just figure out how to get movements I would LOVE it. But it's like my hair is too light, or the roots are still not right or something, so my hair doesn't swing when I shake my head.
Ditto. If you figure it out, please tag me!
When you all are referring to movement can you post a video of someone with type of movement you're talking about? My hair doesn't really move like it did when my hair was permed. My hair moves when it's wet but once it's dry it doesn't really move. Now if I'm exercising and moving around vigorously it moves. My hair isn't stiff and is soft to the touch. So I'm not sure what you all are looking for. I want you all to be happy with your hair so I'm trying learn what outcome you're looking for.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
When you all are referring to movement can you post a video of someone with type of movement you're talking about? My hair doesn't really move like it did when my hair was permed. My hair moves when it's wet but once it's dry it doesn't really move. Now if I'm exercising and moving around vigorously it moves. My hair isn't stiff and is soft to the touch. So I'm not sure what you all are looking for. I want you all to be happy with your hair so I'm trying learn what outcome you're looking for.

Thanks so much for this post, @Coilystep. :kiss:

If I find such a video, I'll link it. :smile:

I think for me I just have to accept that since my hair is dense AND fine, I'm always going to get fro-y, non-moving hair.

I'm getting over it because I think that if I ever do love my wash and go, it will mainly be because my hair is shoulder-length when curly so that it's getting weighed down from the length.

For me these feelings are vestiges from wearing my hair straight for so long, and for having hair that nicely framed my face. I kind of got something closer to what I was hoping for when I used the Alikay Brulee stuff with a diffuser. However, with the diffuser, the smell went from a Kool-Aid smell to something kind of burnt and nauseating to me. And it lingered. :lol: At that point I just threw my hands up and kind of moved to a different place: I'm going to try twist outs and ponytailed wash and go's while I focus on growth and pull back on the hair thing a bit. I don't really think a technique or product or technique/product combo will give me hair that acts as separate clumps that have a bit of movement. My hair is an afro. :smile:

GettingKinky

Like @YvetteWithJoy I'm wishing my curly hair would move the way it does when it's flat ironed. I don't watch a lot of videos so I don't have an example. But when my hair is flat ironed it bounces with every step I take and it moves every time I turn my head. It's probably not possible for my curly hair to behave that way and maybe with time I'll get used to the way it behaves.

GGsKin

My hair is too dense to result like yours. I can gel my hair to the extreme, and it just dries up to the sky in a round, gelled afro. Lol!

I shape it into a heart.

One of my best friends also has a lot of hair on her head (thick strands too). When I do wngs on her, her hair also reaches for the sky, where mine- even when it was shorter- still fell. So yes, I think density plays a big part.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
This is the best stretched rake and define I have ever seen, especially on a super coily:

I just tried this technique. TFS! Currently drying. :smile:

@GettingKinky, here are two promising-looking techniques.

@Coilystep, here is the swing I'm taking about. My hair isn't prone to do this. That's okay. I do like these results, though. I'm practicing shingling, raking, etc., so we'll see. Regardless, I'm enjoying my hair, enjoying trying things, and enjoying doing twist outs. :up:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
This is the best stretched rake and define I have ever seen, especially on a super coily:

It's dry and I really love it. Thanks again for sharing, @Sharpened.

Method
Prepooed with NaturelleGrow Coconut and Mango DC
Detangled after an hour prepooing
Shampooed prepoo out with HairPrint Chelating Shampoo
Deep conditioned with Soultanicals Afrotastic whatever-whatever and rinsed it out with cold water (OMGEEEEEEE! Awesome stuff from this first use)
Raked Soultanicals Fluffalicious whatever-whatever in
Smoothed free sample of Flaxseed and Castor Oil Eco Styler in
Chunky twisted
Used paper towels to squeeze excess product out
Dried for about 6 hours under HairFlair

ETA
Coated hands very liberally with broccoli seed oil, spread oil over twists, and took twists down, separating the twists liberally

It took forever to dry, like usual. Next time I'll try not twisting and just air drying on the go to see how the Eco Styler does (a wash, gel, rake, and go instead of a chunky twist and heat dry). I can't too often use 6 hours to dry under a dryer.

It is super defined, coily, light, fluffy, soft, and very pretty -- with volume and movement. Pics hardly capture it.

Please excuse the shirt: I cooked and all in it today. :smile:

WP_20170813_013 - Copy.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20170813_011.jpg
    WP_20170813_011.jpg
    839 KB · Views: 18
  • WP_20170813_039.jpg
    WP_20170813_039.jpg
    725.9 KB · Views: 19
  • WP_20170813_005.jpg
    WP_20170813_005.jpg
    583.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

GettingKinky

I made a couple of changes last week and I like the results.

1- I shampoo'd with reflect H2O because I think I still had Cl2 in my hair from my vacation last month
2- I didn't do a post conditioner rinse with ACV. I think the ACV was preventing my leave in conditonioner from really getting moisture in my strands.

My hair had more movement than the last few times so I'm going to skip the ACV for a while and see how it works out

Alma Petra

It's dry and I really love it. Thanks again for sharing, @Sharpened.

Method
Prepooed with NaturelleGrow Coconut and Mango DC
Detangled after an hour prepooing
Shampooed prepoo out with HairPrint Chelating Shampoo
Deep conditioned with Soultanicals Afrotastic whatever-whatever and rinsed it out with cold water (OMGEEEEEEE! Awesome stuff from this first use)
Raked Soultanicals Fluffalicious whatever-whatever in
Smoothed free sample of Flaxseed and Castor Oil Eco Styler in
Chunky twisted
Used paper towels to squeeze excess product out
Dried for about 6 hours under HairFlair

ETA
Coat hands very liberally with broccoli seed oil, spread oil over twists, and take twists down, separating the twists liberally

It took forever to dry, like usual. Next time I'll try not twisting and just air drying on the go to see how the Eco Styler does (a wash, gel, rake, and go instead of a chunky twist and heat dry). I can't too often use 6 hours to dry under a dryer.

It is super defined, coily, light, fluffy, soft, and very pretty -- with volume and movement. Pics hardly capture it.

Please excuse the shirt: I cooked and all in it today. :smile:

View attachment 407823

Lovely hair as usual! Have you tried oil-rinsing for moisture and definition yet?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I'm sure that you will love it!

Btw is it true that you are phasing out the Soultanicals products?

No, I love Soultanicals products with the exception of the gels. I love the Soultanicals DCs, butter, leave-in, and twisting cream that I've tried so far. The ingredients and performance are great, and the sales are frequent and good enough to make it work for me. :smile:

But I am moving to an ayurvedic regimen, and Soultanicals doesn't have a whole line of products containing ayurvedic ingredients.

The Soultanicals creator told me she has plans to have a limited edition ayurvedic line. Once she does, I'll likely exclusively use it. In the meanwhile, here's what I plan to use for sure and what I plan to trial:

Using for sure
  • Prepoo: various coconut oil -containing DCs that don't work so well for me, with oil added if need be, until they're gone
  • Scalp cleanser: Cantu ACV Rinse (I don't need this to be ayurvedic, I guess)
  • Chelating cleanser: HairPrint Chelating Shampoo (I don't need this to be ayurvedic)
  • Oil: CurlyProverbz DIY Ayurvedic Hair Growth Oil . . . as well as plain broccoli seed oil for shine
  • Shampoo: Soultanicals Soulvedic Strands Poo Bar (ayurvedic shampoo bar)
  • Leave-in: Qhemet Moringa Tree Conditioning Ghee (contains ayurvedic ingredients)
  • Protein treatment: Colorful Neutral Protein Filler (I just can't pay Komaza's price and shipping, though I love it)
  • Balancing deep conditioner: Soultanicals Afrotastic Curl Elastic DC and Soultanicals Fro Despair Vitamin Hair Repair Mega DC or whatever it's called
Trialing once they arrive
  • Cowash: Asha & Miel 10-Herb Ayurvedic Cowash (or whatever it's called)
  • Edge growth serum: Asha & Miel edge whatever-whatever
  • Twisting cream: Jakeala Amla Shea Parfait
  • Gel: ??? I don't know that I need an ayurvedic gel if I have an ayurvedic oil and leave-in and cream, but I don't know of one that is well-reviewed. I am super curious about the AfroVeda PUR Whipped Hair Gelly, but I can't bring another gel into the house. :smile:
I tried REALLY HARD to simplify: I got the snack pack of the Natty Natural products (a handmade ayurvedic brand). So far just meh on my hair, but I need to keep trialing them because they get amazing reviews. If they work well, I'll just use that line until Soultanicals provides an ayurvedic line . . . if that ever happens. :smile:

Alma Petra

No, I love Soultanicals products with the exception of the gels. I love the Soultanicals DCs, butter, leave-in, and twisting cream that I've tried so far. The ingredients and performance are great, and the sales are frequent and good enough to make it work for me. :smile:

But I am moving to an ayurvedic regimen, and Soultanicals doesn't have a whole line of products containing ayurvedic ingredients.

The Soultanicals creator told me she has plans to have a limited edition ayurvedic line. Once she does, I'll likely exclusively use it. In the meanwhile, here's what I plan to use for sure and what I plan to trial:

Using for sure
  • Prepoo: various coconut oil -containing DCs that don't work so well for me, with oil added if need be, until they're gone
  • Scalp cleanser: Cantu ACV Rinse (I don't need this to be ayurvedic, I guess)
  • Chelating cleanser: HairPrint Chelating Shampoo (I don't need this to be ayurvedic)
  • Oil: CurlyProverbz DIY Ayurvedic Hair Growth Oil . . . as well as plain broccoli seed oil for shine
  • Shampoo: Soultanicals Soulvedic Strands Poo Bar (ayurvedic shampoo bar)
  • Leave-in: Qhemet Moringa Tree Conditioning Ghee (contains ayurvedic ingredients)
  • Protein treatment: Colorful Neutral Protein Filler (I just can't pay Komaza's price and shipping, though I love it)
  • Balancing deep conditioner: Soultanicals Afrotastic Curl Elastic DC and Soultanicals Fro Despair Vitamin Hair Repair Mega DC or whatever it's called
Trialing once they arrive
  • Cowash: Asha & Miel 10-Herb Ayurvedic Cowash (or whatever it's called)
  • Edge growth serum: Asha & Miel edge whatever-whatever
  • Twisting cream: Jakeala Amla Shea Parfait
  • Gel: ??? I don't know that I need an ayurvedic gel if I have an ayurvedic oil and leave-in and cream, but I don't know of one that is well-reviewed. I am super curious about the AfroVeda PUR Whipped Hair Gelly, but I can't bring another gel into the house. :smile:
I tried REALLY HARD to simplify: I got the snack pack of the Natty Natural products (a handmade ayurvedic brand). So far just meh on my hair, but I need to keep trialing them because they get amazing reviews. If they work well, I'll just use that line until Soultanicals provides an ayurvedic line . . . if that ever happens. :smile:

So what advantages do the ayurvedic concoctions have on your hair over the plain products? I have seen people go wild over the Curly Proverbz oil, but I don't know what exactly it does. I just know that I don't want to miss out on the fun lol

You probably won't need an ayurvedic gel if your leave-in and sealing oil both contain ayurveda because these are the two products that remain in contact with the hair most closely and for the longest period of time.

And I can't help but be charmed with your aggravation over the long and complicated product names of nowadays lol

YvetteWithJoy

On break
So what advantages do the ayurvedic concoctions have on your hair over the plain products? I have seen people go wild over the Curly Proverbz oil, but I don't know what exactly it does. I just know that I don't want to miss out on the fun lol

You probably won't need an ayurvedic gel if your leave-in and sealing oil both contain ayurveda because these are the two products that remain in contact with the hair most closely and for the longest period of time.

And I can't help but be charmed with your aggravation over the long and complicated product names of nowadays lol

LOL! I love most of the creative names, but I can't keep re-looking them up.

I don't have enough personal experience with ayurvedic ingredients to say what all they do for my hair for certain. I've just read enough about their benefits to feel like if I skip using them, then I'm doing less for health, thickness, and retention than I could be.

I didn't get much growth last month, I don't protective style, and I use a brush. Considering this, I figure I may as well use products with these reportedly healthful ingredients since I'm going to be applying SOMETHING to my hair, anyway.

Regarding the CurlyProverbz oil, it's too soon for me to know if it helps with growth, but my version is the most wonderful aromatherapy for me and super healthful. It's luxurious.

I tend to love trying new things, but I have no desire to try another poo bar: Psychologically, the idea that I'm maximizing my hair's health, growth, and retention with it has eliminated my desire to try another raved-about cleanser. That's good for me! ;) Likewise, if the A&M cowash is bomb, I can't imagine thinking I could improve on the ingredients and healthful effects. Same with the CurlyProverbz oil: Besides a version also containing helichrysum (sp?) and macadamia nut oil, at the moment I can't imagine any better oil to use. That is very good: I have zero temptation to purchase anyone's oil mix. :up: :smile:

GettingKinky

One big advantage of my wash n go ponytail over my braid out ponytail- no braiding at night. I just put it in a high ponytail and sleep on my satin pillowcase. I'm lazy so I'm loving the low maintenance.