Fall/Winter Wash n go challenge

Alma Petra

LOL! I love most of the creative names, but I can't keep re-looking them up.

I don't have enough personal experience with ayurvedic ingredients to say what all they do for my hair for certain. I've just read enough about their benefits to feel like if I skip using them, then I'm doing less for health, thickness, and retention than I could be.

I didn't get much growth last month, I don't protective style, and I use a brush. Considering this, I figure I may as well use products with these reportedly healthful ingredients since I'm going to be applying SOMETHING to my hair, anyway.

Regarding the CurlyProverbz oil, it's too soon for me to know if it helps with growth, but my version is the most wonderful aromatherapy for me and super healthful. It's luxurious.

I tend to love trying new things, but I have no desire to try another poo bar: Psychologically, the idea that I'm maximizing my hair's health, growth, and retention with it has eliminated my desire to try another raved-about cleanser. That's good for me! ;) Likewise, if the A&M cowash is bomb, I can't imagine thinking I could improve on the ingredients and healthful effects. Same with the CurlyProverbz oil: Besides a version also containing helichrysum (sp?) and macadamia nut oil, at the moment I can't imagine any better oil to use. That is very good: I have zero temptation to purchase anyone's oil mix. :up: :smile:

I think the only thing standing between me and making that oil is my laziness. I cringe at the thought of going out of my way to search for all these ingredients. And then I don't know if I will have the patience to let it steep/diffuse (or what's that word?) for 2 weeks. I want something that I can grab and slather on my head immediately lol

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I think the only thing standing between me and making that oil is my laziness. I cringe at the thought of going out of my way to search for all these ingredients. And then I don't know if I will have the patience to let it steep/diffuse (or what's that word?) for 2 weeks. I want something that I can grab and slather on my head immediately lol

I totally understand! If I weren't in love with the ingredients and scent and feel of my hair, I wouldn't repurchase the ingredients. The Mango & Lime jbco I opt to use is not really/simply jbco, but I love how it scents the oil overall.

I just made Naptural85's DIY flaxseed gel and added some of the CurlyProverbz oil.

I trialed the gel on my bangs (3c-ish), and elongation, definition, shine, and hold were awesome. I didn't use a leave in and was too heavy handed. I didn't get flaking but got snowing when I touched the gelled area.

I'm going to see how my new batch fares (it contains more oil) on my 4a/b areas with me using MUCH less per section.

I am ridiculously excited about this. Might be the best gel I've ever used IF I can conquer the snowing: My hair was light, separated, long, shiny, not crunchy . . . I should have listened to Nap85 sooner! :lol:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@GettingKinky

I've shared this before, but I'm not sure you were participating at this thread at the time. I've done the technique below, and it really worked. Super elongated results.

It's not a wash-and-go, but it wants to be! It's more a twist-tension blow-and-untwist "wash and go," but it yields VERY pretty results IMO relatively quickly.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
After prepooing, pooing, and DCing . . . I applied CurlyProverbz DIY Oil and the Naptural85 DIY flaxseed gel and dried with a diffuser.

I have less definition than I prefer, but I was very light-handed (last time I was too heavy-handed and got snowing with the DIY gel).

I'm going to keep practicing with the gel application: It takes no time to make and it's very healthy.

Sorry for the apparent mean mug: It's not really a mean mug. :smile:

I gotta say: Eco Styler (free sample from hair conference) gave me 5-day definition (I eventually just washed it out . . . I could have worn it longer), and my hair was so defined and my ends so "protected/shellacked" that tangling was virtually non-existent.

Too bad I can't staaaaaaaaaand the ingredients. I don't know you guys: I am so torn. Over the long haul, the Eco might be healthier for my hair, but who KNOWS what the ingredients do to the body long term.

DIY flaxseed gel:

Flaxseed and black castor oil Eco Styler:

Last edited:

GettingKinky

@GettingKinky

I've shared this before, but I'm not sure you were participating at this thread at the time. I've done the technique below, and it really worked. Super elongated results.

It's not a wash-and-go, but it wants to be! It's more a twist-tension blow-and-untwist "wash and go," but it yields VERY pretty results IMO relatively quickly.

Thanks @YvetteWithJoy I'lol definitely watch this. At some point I'm planning to get a blow dryer I've been direct heat free (except when I go to the salon every 8 weeks) for 5 years now so I don't have a quality blow dryer.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
:love3:

EarthTones Naturals gel. :yep:

It's a goopy, snot-like consistency. I love the way it applies and spreads. I was able to do light finger detangling with it. I have shine and separation. Zero crunch. Very, very slight cast.

I was too heavy-handed with the cream I layered beneath it.

I'm going to assess how it performs over the next few days. Also, I'm going to try it alone, without leave-in. I also want to try it with a clear leave-in.

Praying this ends up being the HG. I've been enamored before, though. So I'll enjoy continuing to trial it. :smile:

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
I need to learn how to refresh my wash n go. I don't have time for a midweek wash, but after a few days it starts to get a little dry and frizzy. I think I'll try misting it with water and adding more KCKT.
I refreshed in the shower. I go section by section. Wet with shower spray add kckt rake through then add kccc and rake that through. I did this yesterday. This is how it turned outIMG_7191.JPG

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
How long does that take? I already get up really early in the morning so I can workout. I would hate to have to get up even earlier.
10 to 15 minutes tops maybe shorter. I've never timed it. How much time do you normally spend on your hair in the morning? With no interruptions I can be ready to leave the house in 45 minutes (showered, dressed, hair presentable, let dogs).

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@YvetteWithJoy Your definition keeps getting more and more solid.

Thanks, @Alma Petra!

I'm wondering if the definition stems from what I've been doing for a little while now:
  1. prepooing for 45+ minutes with a DC containing coconut oil,
  2. detangling with the prepoo in,
  3. shampooing the prepoo out,
  4. properly deep conditioning, then
  5. hydrating, moisturizing, and sealing.
Sometimes I lose definition at my roots, but my hair from mid-shaft to tip has been staying pretty defined.

Here's my hair today completely dry with zero product. I'm not sure what's going on with that one piece: Perhaps mechanical or heat damage. I detangle often with a brush, and I have blown my hair dry once, so perhaps that is the cause. But I've had a few areas in front that just get stringy as the hair grows. Before, I would cut them out, until I realized they were just going to keep on reforming. Now I just leave them be. :smile:

Last edited:

GettingKinky

10 to 15 minutes tops maybe shorter. I've never timed it. How much time do you normally spend on your hair in the morning? With no interruptions I can be ready to leave the house in 45 minutes (showered, dressed, hair presentable, let dogs).

I typically spend 5-10 minutes on my hair in the morning. I already get up at 5:15 and I don't want to get up any earlier

@YvetteWithJoy your naked wash n go looks really cute.

Alma Petra

Thanks, @Alma Petra!

I'm wondering if the definition stems from what I've been doing for a little while now:
  1. prepooing for 45+ minutes with a DC containing coconut oil,
  2. detangling with the prepoo in,
  3. shampooing the prepoo out,
  4. properly deep conditioning, then
  5. hydrating, moisturizing, and sealing.
Sometimes I lose definition at my roots, but my hair from mid-shaft to tip has been staying pretty defined.

Here's my hair today completely dry with zero product. I'm not sure what's going on with that one piece: Perhaps mechanical or heat damage. I detangle often with a brush, and I have blown my hair dry once, so perhaps that is the cause. But I've had a few areas in front that just get stringy as the hair grows. Before, I would cut them out, until I realized they were just going to keep on reforming. Now I just leave them be. :smile:

I can see what you mean about the roots being less defined. Maybe this means that they haven't been adequately trained yet since they are the newest part of your hair? Could oil rinsing and upping their moisture level help? A number of curlies complain about the same thing. I have watched my twa and even though it's all roots now and no length but some parts of it do not curl well (loose), and are very frizzy and undefined. I can only get them defined by using a very strong gel like Wetline Xtreme and even then the definition is very short-lived. I was hoping that if these parts grow longer the length at least might be more defined. Sadly these frizzy parts include the midline at the front. You can imagine how frustrating this must feel lol.

ETA: I love the headband idea. This cute style suits your face so well!