Fall/Winter Wash n go challenge

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I don't want to get too excited just yet, but so far I am super impressed with the combination of using a spray leave-in and this new-to-me SM Anti-breakage Firm Hold Gel-Cream.

My hair is drying longer than usual and very quickly! There is a super slight cast. Super slight. My coils are very, very defined, but I know that's more about my prepoo and cleanser. They had my coils popping already.

I believe I received the product in the video below, for free from that Dallas Hair Event. I will try it next.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Double oil wash & go, any white dots you see are the gel rocks stuck to my hair. The sad thing is my hair always feels so soft after I rinse out the gel. I don't get this. The good thing is a few of my coils are now touching my eyelids:

Karmi

Hey there :wave:

I got so sick of seeing my hair in wash and goes so I stopped for a while and bunned. But, wngs are really the lowest manipulation style for my hair and it comes out consistent every time.
My twist outs still look a hot mess.
So back to WNGs. The pic is day 2 hair, i get full week out of my wngs.

IMG_1926.JPG

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
My hair has been super dry and frizzy lately, which has made it hard to get a defined wash n go. Today, I tried doing a conditioner only wash n' go with Herbal Essence Long Term Relationship. My curls started off defined, so I wish I took a picture this morning. As my hair started to dry throughout the day, it turned into a dry, frizzy, itchy messed.

I think I need to up my use of deep conditioning to get my hair's moisture level right before I try another conditioner only wash n go.

Last edited:

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
My hair has been super dry and frizzy lately, which has made it hard to get a defined wash n go. Today, I tried doing a conditioner only wash n' go with Herbal Essence Long Term Relationship. My curls started off defined, so I wish I took a picture this morning. As my hair started to dry throughout the day, it turned into a dry, frizzy, itchy messed.

I think I need to up my use of deep conditioning to get my hair's moisture level right before I try another conditioner only wash n go.
You may need something heavier to seal in the moisture. A good gel can help as well.

I also have to remind myself not to have the heat blasting in my car unless my hair is wet.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I applied KCCC over Soultanicals Fluffalicious.

:nono:

Flaxseed Eco Styler loved that Soultanicals moisturizer. Not KCCC. My hair was so tacky. It was gummy, sticky, thick tacky/tackiness, too.

Had to ponytail it.

I'm thinking about washing it out after church and trying Aunt Jackie's Elongating Flaxseed gel for the first time.

GettingKinky

For the past 3+ years throughout my transition to natural I got my hair straightened every 8 weeks. I don't know what happened last time, but I have heat damage. I go to the same woman and she does pretty much the same thing everytime. I guess I just got complacent and thought it would never happen to me.

There is one small section that is almost completely straight and I'm pretty sure the rest now has a looser texture. I'm holding faint hope that aphogee 2 minute conditioner will help,but I know it won't. :cry3:

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
For the past 3+ years throughout my transition to natural I got my hair straightened every 8 weeks. I don't know what happened last time, but I have heat damage. I go to the same woman and she does pretty much the same thing everytime. I guess I just got complacent and thought it would never happen to me.

There is one small section that is almost completely straight and I'm pretty sure the rest now has a looser texture. I'm holding faint hope that aphogee 2 minute conditioner will help,but I know it won't. :cry3:
Oh no that’s horrible. I’m sorry this happened to you. That’s why I don’t straighten. I think maybe while you were transitioning the permed hair protected your natural hair possibly. I don’t think you can successfully straighten without some change to your curl pattern.

GettingKinky

Oh no that’s horrible. I’m sorry this happened to you. That’s why I don’t straighten. I think maybe while you were transitioning the permed hair protected your natural hair possibly. I don’t think you can successfully straighten without some change to your curl pattern.

I don't see how my relaxed hair could have protected my natural hair since everytime she straightens the entire length. I'm thinking maybe she spent longer on each pass or something this time.
I'm off to read the opalex thread to see if that's worth trying.

How sad, I'm finally getting the hang of the wash n go and this happens.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
I don't see how my relaxed hair could have protected my natural hair since everytime she straightens the entire length. I'm thinking maybe she spent longer on each pass or something this time.
I'm off to read the opalex thread to see if that's worth trying.

How sad, I'm finally getting the hang of the wash n go and this happens.
Maybe she used a higher temperature or did more passes. I hope the opalex works for you.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
I'm so excited! I got a good wash n' go by doing something I didn't think would work. I'm going to try to describe it in detail, so I can duplicate it to make sure it is consistent. I started with deep conditioning with Mielle Organics Babassu Mint Deep Conditioner. My hair didn't really need a wash, so I just rinsed out the deep conditioner while detangling my hair. I wash my hair in four sections, so that is how I applied my products. I used Oyin Hair Dew as my leave-in, followed by Camille Rose Cocoa Nibs oil, then DevaCurl Supercream. To style, I raked gobs of As I Am Curling Jelly through a section, then very loosely twisted and put a white curling rod on it. Then I moved on to the next section. My hair is low porosity and takes literally days to dry, so I wasn't worried about this turning into a twistout. After about an hour in the twists, I took them out to let my curls dry. The only reason I twisted is because the As I Am Curling Jelly gives me no hold, and I watched this woman on youtube twist her hair temporarily to get length and clumping.

My hair is the most defined it has been in awhile!! (I've been struggling with lots of frizz.) I still have super shrinkage because As I Am has no weight, but I'm ok with that. Shrinkage makes it look my low density has more volume.

20171224_164651.jpg

Last edited:

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
I won't lie. Knocking on BSL, my hair is getting more difficult to get the sheds out via fingers. I will have to take "twist breaks" and get better at using styling products (without copolymers, unfortunately). I may have to experiment with DIY gels to make it cost-effective.

I may be forced to switch to stretched styles in the future, but I prefer my coils as-is, so the struggle begins...

GGsKin

I won't lie. Knocking on BSL, my hair is getting more difficult to get the sheds out via fingers. I will have to take "twist breaks" and get better at using styling products (without copolymers, unfortunately). I may have to experiment with DIY gels to make it cost-effective.

I may be forced to switch to stretched styles in the future, but I prefer my coils as-is, so the struggle begins...

Oh my days, get out of my head re the bolded lol. My hair isn't bsl and I've been contemplating this same thought. It is a struggle and my last detangling session was a nightmare (ok, I admit I hadn't really done anything to my hair for 4 weeks prior).

Contemplating occasional setting in 2018, I'm about to have some hourglass rollers in a cart, even though I've got some magnetic ones I haven't used in years, and some bouffant rollers (never used). Still looking for a dryer.