Fall/Winter Wash n go challenge

LavenderMint

Since WetLine reformulated I’m trying new gels (even though I have four jars of it hoarded away). Last week I tried Eco’s flaxseed and black castor oil for my wng. I used 16oz of gel- in a week- because I had to keep going back and reapplying. There was an insane amount of frizz in areas that wouldn’t have experienced breakage from rubbing on clothing, like the center top of my head. Washing my hair was interesting. It felt like there was nothing on my hair even though there was flaking & white balls.
B304E887-651C-4958-805D-DA33F1764052.jpeg

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Since WetLine reformulated I’m trying new gels (even though I have four jars of it hoarded away). Last week I tried Eco’s flaxseed and black castor oil for my wng. I used 16oz of gel- in a week- because I had to keep going back and reapplying. There was an insane amount of frizz in areas that wouldn’t have experienced breakage from rubbing on clothing, like the center top of my head. Washing my hair was interesting. It felt like there was nothing on my hair even though there was flaking & white balls.
View attachment 420013

Ah, boo. It's crazy how differently products do different folks' hair. My hair likes that stuff.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Not great pics nor wash 'n' go, but eh...

Alma Petra

Though with all this shrinkage, I guess it will take me 10 years to pull the same styles as you guys.

Btw, @Sharpened what's the most softening oil mix you have made?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Thanks dear!

You don't want to know what I used caused I've used a lot of things lol.

I used a tiny bit of @Sharpened's castor mix (one of her many mixes), CJ Smoothing Lotion (I have just been raving about it in another thread), Soultanical's Mousse, Bounce Curl Creme Gel, and Curl Keeper.

That Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion is nice!

And I think it's just fine if it takes a lot of layering. Whatever works!

My texture is not like yours, so I was mainly asking for the lurkers who've been following your journey and have similar hair and/or struggles.

Alma Petra

That Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion is nice!

And I think it's just fine if it takes a lot of layering. Whatever works!

My texture is not like yours, so I was mainly asking for the lurkers who've been following your journey and have similar hair and/or struggles.

Guess you are right, at least layering should help me used up more products from my stash. The cons is that you get more flaking, and you need more time to style and to diffuse.

Would you say that your curls are tighter or bigger than mine? Your hair loves the smoothing lotion too, right?

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Noted. I'll be trying Babassu oil next. Thanks dear!
Is there a new favourite on the mixes front? I've been enjoying the castor-hemp-pumpkin mix a lot recently.
Castor Mix #5 will be made again: that touch of JBCO, vitamin E, tamanu, and shea oils made my scalp happy and hair easier to detangle.
I think that @Sharpened might like Curl Keeper. It's sort of a watery gel and may not flake on your hair. You already don't need gel for definition and it'll give you a little bit of extra shine and hold.
I have looked at it before, just worried about the copolymers forming rocks in my hair. I also eyed Curls Goddess Curl Gelee.

Alma Petra

My hair is much tighter. But yes, it loves the smoothing lotion, too. :yep:
You should give it a try under a gel then. It may not be very moisturizing but what I like about it is that it's the leave-in that causes the least frizz in my curls when I smooth it in after I clay wash. Most other leave-ins undo a lot of the definition obtained by clay-washing upon contact.
And it flakes much less. And the glycerin in it gives extra shine.

Alma Petra

Castor Mix #5 will be made again: that touch of JBCO, vitamin E, tamanu, and shea oils made my scalp happy and hair easier to detangle.
I have looked at it before, just worried about the copolymers forming rocks in my hair. I also eyed Curls Goddess Curl Gelee.
So it contains JBCO instead of regular castor?

Judging by how runny the Curl Keeper is, the copolymers must be greatly diluted. But I have been wondering if copolymers react with your hair itself to form these rock-hard balls, or if they react with some of your oils...

Curls Gelle does not contain copolymers?

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
So it contains JBCO instead of regular castor?

Judging by how runny the Curl Keeper is, the copolymers must be greatly diluted. But I have been wondering if copolymers react with your hair itself to form these rock-hard balls, or if they react with some of your oils...

Curls Gelle does not contain copolymers?
Castor Mix #5 had mostly cold-pressed castor, but I had like 4g of JBCO left from a sample.

Could be, or maybe conditioner protects the hair from rock formation. I used them when my hair was shorter with little problem. Don't get it...

The Gelee has some (Polyacrylate-14) and it has a gel thickener (Carbomer) as well. It is on the light side as well.

Alma Petra

Castor Mix #5 had mostly cold-pressed castor, but I had like 4g of JBCO left from a sample.

Could be, or maybe conditioner protects the hair from rock formation. I used them when my hair was shorter with little problem. Don't get it...

The Gelee has some (Polyacrylate-14) and it has a gel thickener (Carbomer) as well. It is on the light side as well.

You are the only person who get these rocks, right? Have you tried mixing your gel with your oils "in vitro" to see if they would form rocks? Also you can try conditioning a small portion of your hair and experimenting with it to test your theory about conditioner.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
You are the only person who get these rocks, right? Have you tried mixing your gel with your oils "in vitro" to see if they would form rocks? Also you can try conditioning a small portion of your hair and experimenting with it to test your theory about conditioner.
I thought about mixing gels with oils, but I get pissed off and toss the gels, lol.

Ugh, I have not used condish in yearsss. Leave-ins never worked for me, so I guess I could try a cheapie rinse-out and send the leftovers to someone.