Fall/Winter Wash n go challenge

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
I had to use the Tangle Teezer Thick-n-Curly to remove nearly 3 weeks of shed hair, so the coils are obliterated. Somehow, I do not mind the messiness:

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Thanks, chica. I got a new phone and it has some kind of beautify feature that I didn't know was on.

How's your pregnancy faring? I was thinking about you the other day and said a little prayer for your family and little one.

Girl, I’ve seen you in person and know you’re pretty. The beautify feature didn’t have to do much work.

I appreciate the prayer. I was was pretty sick first tri, but it’s gotten better now that I’m in the 2nd tri. I’m trying to enjoy this pregnancy because DH says he’s closing up shop after the baby is born.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Girl, I’ve seen you in person and know you’re pretty. The beautify feature didn’t have to do much work.

I appreciate the prayer. I was was pretty sick first tri, but it’s gotten better now that I’m in the 2nd tri. I’m trying to enjoy this pregnancy because DH says he’s closing up shop after the baby is born.

Awww. You're kind. Glad you're feeling better!

Closing up shop, eh? I'm sending up prayers for a girl, then!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I'm documenting my wash and go knowledge here (gained from the video) so I won't forget (and in case it helps anyone :smile:).

Notes copied from another thread:
I can't believe how easy it is now to create a compliment-eliciting wash and go!

One major thing I was doing wrong before: Touching my hair before it was fully dry.

I would let it dry a little, then get the diffuser and start pulling hair down by the ends to stretch it while diffusing. That was disturbing curl definition AND the shape of my hair, not to mention creating significant frizz.

Now I just let the hair dry untouched. Once fully dry with no/low frizz and all that pretty curl definition, then I do as she advised and stretch my hair using the tension method.

:thud:

I don't know WHY I'm so shocked that's possible! I get major elongation with that. MAJOR.

Another thing:
I learned that I need a non-flaking gel on soaking wet hair with NOTHING applied under the gel. I can get away with this if I have conditioned with DevaCurl Decadence One Condition and left a little bit of it in after rinse out. For some reason, this conditioner gives me curl definition.

I'm going to go back and revisit all of my gels to see if any of them are awesome and I just didn't know it. Off the top of my head, I need to revisit and assess:
  1. Kinky Curly Curling Custard
  2. Curl Crush Around the Way Gel by Curl Prep
  3. Uncle Funky's Daughter's Curly Magic
I already reassessed Camille Rose Naturals gel. On my hair, it just doesn't provide hold for some reason.

Right now, nothing surpasses Bronner Brothers Firm Hold Curling Gel on my hair. It's awesome. :smile:

GettingKinky

Thanks, sweetie! With added length, it takes longer to get back in formation. Is your hair more cottony? Mine is spongy, although it is trying to act thready (thready folks are the ones who get those sharp waves when slicking their hair back).

I've never thought of my hair in those term, but I guess it's on the cottony side. I'm not exactly sure what the difference is between cottony and spongy.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
I've never thought of my hair in those term, but I guess it's on the cottony side. I'm not exactly sure what the difference is between cottony and spongy.
Cottony tends to be on the fluffy side, the curls or coils have difficulty clumping. Spongy tends to have more compact frizz, takes some work to get curls or coils to clump. Oil rinsing naturally causes my coils to clump, and finger-detangling helps maintain the clumpage (yeah, I know clumpage is not a word). I also shake my hair under very warm water to help it clump even more and keep shaking after the water is off.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Cottony tends to be on the fluffy side, the curls or coils have difficulty clumping. Spongy tends to have more compact frizz, takes some work to get curls or coils to clump. Oil rinsing naturally causes my coils to clump, and finger-detangling helps maintain the clumpage (yeah, I know clumpage is not a word). I also shake my hair under very warm water to help it clump even more and keep shaking after the water is off.

My hair is spongy too. I put gel in my hair and it didn't curl up very well. my hair looked kinky straight. So I used Paul Mitchell foaming pomade and the curls finally started to get defined.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
My hair is spongy too. I put gel in my hair and it didn't curl up very well. my hair looked kinky straight. So I used Paul Mitchell foaming pomade and the curls finally started to get defined.
I cannot get root-to-tip definition, except in the front, too coily for that. Gel use takes work, lol, to coax them curls.

GettingKinky

My hair clumps fairly easily with gel, but I just get s shaped waves and very few coils. I guess in the LOIS system I'm an S but I wish I were an O. I need to figure out the thready/wiry/cottony/spongy part.

VictoriousBrownFlower

My hair clumps fairly easily with gel, but I just get s shaped waves and very few coils. I guess in the LOIS system I'm an S but I wish I were an O. I need to figure out the thready/wiry/cottony/spongy part.
@Sharpened post really intrigued me so I went searching on google and found this way of telling your texture
Hair Textures
  • Thready – This thready hair texture has a low sheen and a bright shine when the hair is stretched. This hair texture should have low frizz and get wet easily. Even though this hair texture wets easily, the water will dry out very quickly.
  • Wiry – This hair texture sparkly glossy appearance with very little shine and low frizz. When the wiry hair texture is wet, the water will bead up or bounce off the hair strands. This hair texture is more difficult to get fully wet.
  • Cottony – The cottony hair texture has a low sheen, a bright shine when the hair is stretched and is usually is highly frizzy. The cottony texture absorbs water very quickly; however, it doesn’t get completely wet very fast.
  • Spongy – The spongy hair texture absorbs water (like a sponge) and has a high sheen and low shine.
  • Silky – The silky texture has a low sheen and a bright high shine. The level of expected frizz with this hair texture can vary substantially. Silky hair becomes completely wet very easily.
It seems to be part of the LOIS system of typing.

VictoriousBrownFlower

My hair clumps easily too but is naturally frizzy. I always thought of it to be cottony but from the info I got it could be either cottony or silky I'm not quite sure. It's pretty interesting though. The system seems to take into account things like porosity which I didn't know. I thought it was all about the look of the hair which is why I always thought I was cottony.

Alma Petra

Now this is all so very confusing for me. All I know is that my hair is naturally frizzy and is very difficult to coax into clumping. Might be cottony or spongy. No idea. But what is the cure for each of these hair types to achieve good clumpage and low frizz?

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
LilNicka4u2nv was sooo close to the answer:
Visual examples of textures and types COMPLETE! Even on her own hair, she recognized she was a combo of silky and cottony, but I think she was silky 4a/b, which is very rare. Given the year this was created, I think everyone went towards a focus on porosity instead of overall hair behavior, which we still need.

Some people's hair only curls at the ends, another factor to consider.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Visual examples of textures and types COMPLETE! Even on her own hair, she recognized she was a combo of silky and cottony, but I think she was silky 4a/b, which is very rare. Given the year this was created, I think everyone went towards a focus on porosity instead of overall hair behavior, which we still need.

I still can't tell what my hair is, but it's me just needing more photos the way my brain works. Lol. I'm definitely low shine, high frizz. So I can't be thready according to the info.

I guess I'm either spongy or cottony. Maybe I'm a blend? :smile:

Last edited:

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
I still can't tell what my hair is, but it's me just needing more photos the way my brain works. Lol. I'm definitely low sheen, high frizz. So I can't be thready according to the info.

I guess I'm either spongy or cottony. Maybe I'm a blend? :smile:
Could be. I see cottony, S-to-O shape strands in your pics.

Do you see how compact my frizz is? That is a spongy sign. Also, since my coils are mostly Os, that may increase the compactness and the ability to clump up under the right conditions. I definitely have high sheen in the right light. The thickness leave much to be desired, unfortunately.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Could be. I see cottony, S-to-O shape strands in your pics.

Do you see how compact my frizz is? That is a spongy sign. Also, since my coils are mostly Os, that may increase the compactness and the ability to clump up under the right conditions. I definitely have high sheen in the right light. The thickness leave much to be desired, unfortunately.

Thanks. Helpful.

Yes, in my latest wng pictures, I have a lot of foam and gel on, and some of my O's became S's. I think the back of my head already had S's sans gel, but I'm not sure.

My frizz is not compact. Hmm. Interesting. Thanks for emphasizing that detail. That helps.

I like the LOIS system. I'm going to keep learning about it. :yep:

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density

Thank you! I learned a lot from this insert. I have fine, wiry hair.