Fall/Winter Wash n go challenge

Alma Petra

I'm with you regarding leave-in. I've discovered that on my hair, it interferes with the styler. I have never had such success with my wash and go's and my twist outs as I am now, using only a super liquidy spray leave-in . . . not a cream leave-in, no matter how thin. I wish I'd known this YEARS ago!
I have been saying this for long now. Conditioners and leave-ins frizz up my hair upon contact (with the exception of maybe CJ Smoothing Lotion) but the problem is I need them for moisture. Water and watery leave-ins don't give me moisture. In fact even with a leave-in, my hair dries up way too quickly. But I'm working on finding ways to up my moisture levels. We'll see... My hair is high po when it comes to evaporation and lo po when it comes to moisturization (isn't this totally unfair?)

Alma Petra

My hair gets so many knots. Not single strand knots, multi strand knots. I don't know what to do maybe wash n gos aren't meant for me. :-(
Since moving to a cold country I started struggling more with knots and the culprit is always these pesky small pieces of lint. I don't know if there is another type of clothes that people can wear in order to keep warm..

BTW the lints are also found in all single strand knots that I get (thank God these are less frequent since they are more difficult to undo)

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
Question for you ladies who wash for your wash n go at night. What do you do with your hair while you’re sleeping to keep your cults intact while they’re wet/damp?
I wrap a microfiber towel around the back half of my head/hair and clip it down at the crown then I put the curly tee towel over all of that. I'll post a pic if I can find one...
ETA: the front half of my head is disrespectful so I hardly ever attempt to WnG it...I just twist it and pin it up in a bun.

GGsKin

Question for you ladies who wash for your wash n go at night. What do you do with your hair while you’re sleeping to keep your cults intact while they’re wet/damp?

When my hair was shorter, I left it loose and tied with a silk scarf. Now I loosely tie it back with bands formed from cut tights or a banana clip, and secure my ends with the same bands or those ouchless clips. Then I tie everything up with two large silk scarves. My pillow never gets wet.

Last edited:

Alma Petra

Shake the hair using the rake and shake technique or side to side like a wet dog (lol) before letting it air dry. You may also not have enough water in the hair.
I went and watched a video about the rake and shake method. I will try it next time.
Thanks a lot for the suggestion!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Combed my hair yesterday after DCing with Alikay Naturals Avocado Cream. I left my clay on a little too long and my hair felt a little stripped so I rubbed some Annabelle's Creamy Hair Pudding through my hair before smoothing my whipped Shea butter mix on my length. Topped with diluted Kinky_C.urly Curling Custard.

My hair was wet and white when I removed my scarf this morning, but after 3hrs max, the shea had sunk in and became clear. My hair was still damp/ wet in the mid/back section.

Hi!

What is your review of the Alikay Naturals Avocado Cream DC? How does it compare to the other Alikay DC--the Honey and Sage one? TIA!

GGsKin

Hi!

What is your review of the Alikay Naturals Avocado Cream DC? How does it compare to the other Alikay DC--the Honey and Sage one? TIA!

Hey @YvetteWithJoy I haven't tried the other one (yet...although I'm not sure now if I'm willing). After steadily working my way through the tub for a good while, here's my review of the Avocado Cream:

The scent is minty/herby. It isn't too strong but can be annoying for me, although it doesn't linger. When I first opened the tub I was taken aback by just how bright green this DC is, and I'm really not a fan of the colour. And there are little bits in it that can get stuck in my hair.

Initially, a comparison between this and APB's Ultra Conditioning Souflee, yielded similar results but over time the Alikay Naturals has just...lacked in every way and I found myself mixing it to use it up. I missed that slippy feel with this DC and although it leaves my hair feeling ok, it doesn't provide lasting moisture (for my hair). It's fine to use as when my hair is 'balanced' but after a protein treatment, on its own it's just not enough.

For the mere fact that I can't buy my 'HGs' OTG, I could repurchase this if I was in a pinch but it just seems mediocre. I'd be more inclined to try something from The Mane Choice. The Alikay Honey & Sage was on my radar but now after this one's performance, and reading the most recent reviews here IDK.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Hey @YvetteWithJoy I haven't tried the other one (yet...although I'm not sure now if I'm willing). After steadily working my way through the tub for a good while, here's my review of the Avocado Cream:

The scent is minty/herby. It isn't too strong but can be annoying for me, although it doesn't linger. When I first opened the tub I was taken aback by just how bright green this DC is, and I'm really not a fan of the colour. And there are little bits in it that can get stuck in my hair.

Initially, a comparison between this and APB's Ultra Conditioning Souflee, yielded similar results but over time the Alikay Naturals has just...lacked in every way and I found myself mixing it to use it up. I missed that slippy feel with this DC and although it leaves my hair feeling ok, it doesn't provide lasting moisture (for my hair). It's fine to use as when my hair is 'balanced' but after a protein treatment, on its own it's just not enough.

For the mere fact that I can't buy my 'HGs' OTG, I could repurchase this if I was in a pinch but it just seems mediocre. I'd be more inclined to try something from The Mane Choice. The Alikay Honey & Sage was on my radar but now after this one's performance, and reading the most recent reviews here IDK.

Thanks so much.

Little bits, huh? Sigh. I used the Honey and Sage one yesterday for the first time. Amazing on my hair. I was so surprised! I haven't liked this brand otherwise.

But it contains little bits. Hard to remove.

GGsKin

Thanks so much.

Little bits, huh? Sigh. I used the Honey and Sage one yesterday for the first time. Amazing on my hair. I was so surprised! I haven't liked this brand otherwise.

But it contains little bits. Hard to remove.

No worries at all. Your hair is hi-po so may respond well. I'm noticing a correlation lol. Good to know the Honey and Sage has the same issue regarding the bits. Thank you.

GettingKinky

This morning I watched the Mahogany curls KCCC video and I did my hair the same way. It’s way less product than I normally use and more raking/smoothie than I do. I can already tell that it looks better than normal. :)
My string curls in the front are less stringy and it looks more full.

I also did a few other things differently I didn’t shampoo and I’ve been damp bunning for the last 3 days.

Why have I resisted watching videos for so long???

YvetteWithJoy

On break
This morning I watched the Mahogany curls KCCC video and I did my hair the same way. It’s way less product than I normally use and more raking/smoothie than I do. I can already tell that it looks better than normal. :)
My string curls in the front are less stringy and it looks more full.

I also did a few other things differently I didn’t shampoo and I’ve been damp bunning for the last 3 days.

Why have I resisted watching videos for so long???

Yay!

Here's a thread you might enjoy:

https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/video-collection-best-most-helpful-hair-videos.813683/

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I just can't get over how amazing this WnG turned out :love::love::love:

Her curl pattern is very close to mine. I just don't know what these people do to get such amazing WnGs!

Pretty. She shows exactly what she does, right? Are you saying that no matter what works for others, it will not work on your hair? If so, aw maaaan.

Alma Petra

Pretty. She shows exactly what she does, right? Are you saying that no matter what works for others, it will not work on your hair? If so, aw maaaan.
It's so pretty it makes me wanna cry :crybaby::cry:
What she does is so straightforward. Of course it won't work on my hair lol. I was hoping that there might be another secret... Do you think it might be the products?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
It's so pretty it makes me wanna cry :crybaby::cry:
What she does is so straightforward. Of course it won't work on my hair lol. I was hoping that there might be another secret... Do you think it might be the products?

Idk. I wish I knew.

It seems to always come down to an interaction among products, technique, and the hair's properties. There's so much room for variability in outcome.

Alma Petra

Idk. I wish I knew.

It seems to always come down to an interaction among products, technique, and the hair's properties. There's so much room for variability in outcome.

It's this thing about the darned hair's properties. If I hadn't experienced nice results on my hair in the past... I'm inclined to think that my hair just can't do it. Yet I keep trying. Sometimes I think that maybe I don't have the correct moisture/protein balance, or that the hard water is having an effect on my hair, etc etc.

Maybe I should purchase the Mielle products and see how my hair will respond to them...

GettingKinky

I spoke too soon. This wash n go was an epic fail! It’s shrank like crazy and I didn’t have enough gel to prevent frizz. Oh well. I’ll try something different next week.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
It's this thing about the darned hair's properties. If I hadn't experienced nice results on my hair in the past... I'm inclined to think that my hair just can't do it. Yet I keep trying. Sometimes I think that maybe I don't have the correct moisture/protein balance, or that the hard water is having an effect on my hair, etc etc.

Maybe I should purchase the Mielle products and see how my hair will respond to them...

My hard water made my hair stiffer and hair products act funky. This is why I use a chelating poo every wash. Do you chelate?

Alma Petra

My hard water made my hair stiffer and hair products act funky. This is why I use a chelating poo every wash. Do you chelate?
I tried the ORS creamy aloe shampoo before but that was a long time ago. I also tried using an EDTA solution. I didn't notice a difference. That's why I don't think that it's the hard water though I know that I have hard water. On the other hand my hair would probably not tolerate frequent shampooing specially since chelating shampoos are mighty strong. I haven't yet learnt the art of fully re-moisturizing my hair after shampooing. I even water wash my twa mostly nowadays...