Fall/Winter Wash n go challenge

discodumpling

How are your curls different after a flat iron? What do you have to do to recover them?
Flat is an understatement. After a flat iron my curls take weeks to bounce back. It takes lots of protein treatments to encourage my curls to form again.
Right now my curls are stretched out into waves that end in curls.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Hmmm. I’d just been thinking that my ouidad double detangler is hurting my curl pattern. I’m just not sure that I’m ready to switch to finger detangling. I keep hoping that since I only comb when my hair is soaking wet and covered with conditioner and the comb teeth are wide, that combing isn’t hurting my curls.
You could try a combo of a tool and finger detangling:

GGsKin

Maybe it's because I use clay regularly, but when I comb my hair and then wash it, my hair clumps just fine after. I've never tried a wash n go with a brush or comb.

FoxxyLocs

I also noticed that when my hair was soaking wet in the shower, it didn't seem as dense since it was weighed down with water. That's why I was able to use only two sections instead of lots of small sections like I did when my hair was just damp.

I used slightly smaller sections for the gel so I could get to my roots.

FoxxyLocs

I’m pretty sure wash n gos are DESTROYING my ends. What do you ladies do to keep them from tangling?

I've only been doing them for a short time, but using a gel with a really firm hold basically freezes my curls keeps my ends separated. The cast wears off after a couple of days, but my ends stay separated until I wash again. I have noticed slightly more SSKs, but nothing alarming.

I'm interested to hear what other people are doing because I want to experiment with a softer hold but I don't want tangles.

GettingKinky

I've only been doing them for a short time, but using a gel with a really firm hold basically freezes my curls keeps my ends separated. The cast wears off after a couple of days, but my ends stay separated until I wash again. I have noticed slightly more SSKs, but nothing alarming.

I'm interested to hear what other people are doing because I want to experiment with a softer hold but I don't want tangles.

I didn’t realize how bad my ends were getting until I started finger detangling. I wasn’t having any issues combing my hair in the shower so I thought everything was fine. But now I’m feeling tons of single strand knots, many strands with multiple knots and when I finger comb I find strands that are knotted together. I feel like I should give up this style but I don’t want to start over with braidouts.

Britt

Today's WNG
I did a demi permanent color (Wella 5N) yesterday to get rid of my grays.

View media item 129819
I just started looking through this thread towards the end. I really like your wash n goes. It looks super cute on your length. I currently have a twa that's in braids but I would like to give wash n go's a try in a few months. How often do you wash n go? How do you preserve your hair at night?

OhTall1

Hey @Britt
I shampoo on Sundays and co-wash or wash 1-2 times a week based on workouts (I'm swimming right now, so more washing to get out the chlorine). At night I just put it up in a bandana and spritz it in the morning.

Good luck! I have a bunch of pictures in an album here if you want to see my good, bad and ugly all in one place. :lachen:

Britt

Hey @Britt
I shampoo on Sundays and co-wash or wash 1-2 times a week based on workouts (I'm swimming right now, so more washing to get out the chlorine). At night I just put it up in a bandana and spritz it in the morning.

Good luck! I have a bunch of pictures in an album here if you want to see my good, bad and ugly all in one place. :lachen:
@OhTall1 Thanks for this!!!! I'm gonna check it out for your product reviews/comments/suggestions.

GGsKin

I’m pretty sure wash n gos are DESTROYING my ends. What do you ladies do to keep them from tangling?

I know for a fact that I would make faster length progress if I didn't wear my hair in a wash n go everyday but I enjoy wearing my hair loose for the most part. I stay in S+D mode down to the strand lol. I try to ignore them but because I use my fingers that's extremely difficult for me.

FoxxyLocs

Yesterday's wng didn't turn out as nice as my last one. I'm wondering if shampoo is the culprit. Maybe I should switch to just clay and co-washing.

I also used Wetline clear gel for the first time, but I knew before I put the gel on that my hair was extra frizzy.

I air dried too. Idk if that made a difference.

discodumpling

Wash n go's are most definitely not a protective style. It's a wonder many of us thrive and retain length rocking a wash n go exclusively. Our ends are constantly being abused and exposed. To minimize the impact every(styling) product I use must have great SLIP and contain some sort of conditioning agent. Regular protein treatments to keep my strands smooth yet flexible are also a must. As a wash n go girl, I trim quarterly...any longer is asking to sacrifice length & health.
Technique is also a factor in taking care of your ends. Smooth your products from the root to the tip and don't be scared of the gel! A heavy application is better than one lacking enough product.

GettingKinky

Wash n go's are most definitely not a protective style. It's a wonder many of us thrive and retain length rocking a wash n go exclusively. Our ends are constantly being abused and exposed. To minimize the impact every(styling) product I use must have great SLIP and contain some sort of conditioning agent. Regular protein treatments to keep my strands smooth yet flexible are also a must. As a wash n go girl, I trim quarterly...any longer is asking to sacrifice length & health.
Technique is also a factor in taking care of your ends. Smooth your products from the root to the tip and don't be scared of the gel! A heavy application is better than one lacking enough product.

How do you trim? Do Ku straighten first. I just now trimmed my hair while it’s kinky. It feels great but probably looks horrible.

discodumpling

How do you trim? Do Ku straighten first. I just now trimmed my hair while it’s kinky. It feels great but probably looks horrible.
I usually self trim by putting my wet hair into 4 twists and snipping the rough ends. However I treated myself to a Dominican blowout, flatiron and deep trim for Easter and my hair still smells burnt! I got a nice even trim and my hair lays better but that smell is driving me nuts!

Last edited:

GGsKin

Was this your first time trimming while your hair is kinky?
You didn't ask me but I've only dusted and trimmed my hair in its while kinky/coily- coil by coil or in twists. The differing layers are relatively even but would possibly look cra cra straight. I haven't straightened it in 4 years. Down the line, I will eventually straighten for a trim to even things up.

Last edited:

GettingKinky

Was this your first time trimming while your hair is kinky?
You didn't ask me but I've only dusted and trimmed my hair in its while kinky/coily- coil by coil or in twists. The differing layers are relatively even but would possibly look cra cra straight. I haven't straightened it in 4 years. Down the line, I will eventually straighten for an trim to even things up.

This was my first time trimming while kinky. I usually get my hair straightened and have my stylist trim it. But I’m not sure when/if I will straighten again. I just did small sections and trimmed off the ends I didn’t like. I probably needed to trim more, but I chickened out.

FoxxyLocs

Did my last two wng without shampoo and they were definitely less frizzy, so I guess shampoo is out. I'm thinking about doing a clay wash once a month and co-washing in between.

Yesterday I tried plopping. It didn't really dry my hair any faster, but it did make it more comfortable to take a nap with my hair wet, so I guess that's something. I left the t-shirt on for around 6 hours and my hair is still wet almost 24 hours after washing.

I also tried TJ's Nourish Spa conditioner. I like it a lot even though it has cones. I'll see how it performs long term.

The result is a little fluffier than when I diffuse, but not a huge difference. I'll continue air drying most of the time, but I probably won't bother with plopping unless I need to go to sleep.

Last edited:

Karmi

I came to the same conclusion. I can't use shampoo not even sulfate free shampoos. It dries my hair out terribly then I'm fighting to get the moisture back into my curls. I skipped shampoo the last wash days and just cleansed with the As I Am Luxe Cowash and my curls have come back to life. I used to only clay wash but got lazy with it.
I'm going to switch up my regimine to clay wash once a month and co-cleanse every week. If I start noticing build up on my scalp I'll add clay to my cowash to up the cleansing affect.

Added a pic of my wng after only cowashing the last 2 weeks.
IMG_2142.JPG

FoxxyLocs

I had thought it was the comb that was making my hair frizzy. The last couple wng's I did, I cut out the shampoo and still used my comb. As long as I let the water run through my hair after combing, my curls are fine. Shampoo is the problem.

I tried finger combing but I didn't like it. It took much longer than when I detangle with a comb. I do use my fingers to work out the knots, but my comb will remain as my primary detangling tool. I'm due for a clay wash soon. I'll try to get it done this weekend if I have time.

GettingKinky

I think I’m going to take a break from wash n gos for awhile. My ends just tangle too much :-( and I haven’t reached my length goals yet. I may try again when I get to WL.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
:wavey:

I tried a cream, gel, and foam wash and go similar to the method below and got similar results, LOTS of definition, and lots of compliments. I did not get much elongation, but oh, well. :smile:

I blogged about it here, pictures included: https://blossomingfitnatural.com/20...possible-de-bulking-my-wash-and-go-attempt-2/

INTERESTINGLY, the new-to-me salon I went to yesterday (Her Growing Hands Salon) does a foam and gel wash and go! What are the chances? The salon uses the following products, which I'll try some day since I believe I have these products already:

I just wanted to share while I'm logged in to do my hair length/growth updates. I'm going back on social media break so I won't be able to reply to any posts here. (Please feel free to contact me at the blog if you have questions/comments/feedback.)

Happy healthy hair growing, all!

:heart:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I had thought it was the comb that was making my hair frizzy. The last couple wng's I did, I cut out the shampoo and still used my comb. As long as I let the water run through my hair after combing, my curls are fine. Shampoo is the problem.

I tried finger combing but I didn't like it. It took much longer than when I detangle with a comb. I do use my fingers to work out the knots, but my comb will remain as my primary detangling tool. I'm due for a clay wash soon. I'll try to get it done this weekend if I have time.

Very helpful! Thanks for posting.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I'm going to purchase and try Urbanbella Cre'Gel sooner or later. The Urbanbella salon is located in Atlanta, I believe. The owner says that the Cre'Gel product is more elongating than her other gel, despite the naming of the other gel.

The non lathering cleanser looks interesting. She also has a product not yet on her site as of today, called Tamu Curls, I believe. Based on my goals of having an elongated wash and go, she recommended that I request a sample of it if I purchase the Cre'Gel.

I've watched a few YouTube demos of her products. I like the reviews at her site, but didn't learn too, too much from the YouTube videos. I'm curious enough about the Cre'Gel to try to get a sample. She has a few sample bundles/kits, so I may invest in one of them.

These products are a bit pricey. Still, thought I'd share. :smile: If anyone gets these, please do share your review.

Blessings, all!

P.S. Has anyone tried any of the CurlMix premade gels? If so, what is your review? TIA!

GettingKinky

Did combing make your curls looser than when you finger detangle? That was why I switched to finger detangling, but I don’t think I’m getting all my shed hair out with my fingers.