Fall/Winter Wash n go challenge

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I want to try curl keeper.

It's been in my cart for years but I decided to try it after seeing that girl pokahontas posted. I don't really see people with my hair texture(tight coils) using it so let's see.

I want to try all of these. Have to wait 3 months until my no-buy is done, though. So . . . it's a good thing you bought this stuff! I'll be learning through you!

Lol no problem! I love being a product junkie

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Today's Adventures in Awkward-stage 4a Wash and Go Land

Today my hair and I learned who's boss!

Me: Lady hair, c'mon. Let's go shower. Today we are returning to our roots!
Lady hair: (eye roll)
Me: You know, just to clear the air: I understand that you are in charge, you are free, and you do what you do.
Lady hair: (no acknowledgement)
Me: I'm not trying to control you, exactly, or anything like that. But if you behave, you don't lose face or anything. You know that, right? Same team! Same team! Right?
Lady hair: Pushaaaaaawww!
Me: Well, I'm excited anyway (smile). No shampoo today, how 'bout that? Just DevaCurl Decadence One Condition, our good ol' friend, KCKT, and her companion, KCCC. That's cool, right? Just like the old days. "We're going home, we're going home . . . Tell the world, we're going . . ."
Lady hair: (silence)
Me: Well. That was fast and that was fun. And guess what? We're trying something new. Today we get to dry . . . in a ponytail puff! Whoot, whoot!
Lady hair: Whatever, man. I'm going need ya to chillax. I'm just hair, man. Just. Hair. Calmness! Jeesh!

:look:

I'm embarrassed I cared so much. So I did a deep breath and just said, "Let's document in a silly way, and then let's not think about our hair anymore today. Put your energy elsewhere today. Take a break from the concern."

So today was an easy day. Hopefully I'll be dry in a few hours and can see how the stretch-via-ponytail-puff method worked out. Clickable pics of wet hair below.
View attachment 370457 View attachment 370459

Results of My First Time Trying to Stretch My Hair (Wash-and-Go) via ONE Ponytail :smile:

Okay. Sooooooooo. Lesson learned. My hair is TOOOOOOOOOO dense to try one pony tail. :laugh:
However . . . I think I'm going to looooooove banding. Fingers crossed.

Here is the FINAL result (it looks deceptively okay from this angle). Please click on the thumbnails to see the problems I encountered (very straight strands in some places; only the "3rd floor" and "top floor" of my hair stretched. The middle, "2nd floor" of my hair didn't stretch!!!)

WP_20160815_015_PonyTailWnGo_5 - Copy.png
Deceptively okay-looking final result

Enlargeable thumbnails (click) that show the drama and the real story! "Shelves" in hair, stringy and even straight strands . . . :nono:. I DEFINITELY need to change my next stretching attempt and BAND several, several sections. :smile:
WP_20160815_015_PonyTailWnGo_1.png WP_20160815_015_PonyTailWnGo_2.png WP_20160815_015_PonyTailWnGo_3.png

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
It's been in my cart for years but I decided to try it after seeing that girl pokahontas posted. I don't really see people with my hair texture(tight coils) using it so let's see.

Yeah I haven't seen anyone with my hair type using it either, but like you said I watched video @Pokahontas posted. I'm not going to go out my way to look for it. I think I've seen it at Target before.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
Results of My First Time Trying to Stretch My Hair (Wash-and-Go) via ONE Ponytail :smile:

Okay. Sooooooooo. Lesson learned. My hair is TOOOOOOOOOO dense to try one pony tail. :laugh:
However . . . I think I'm going to looooooove banding. Fingers crossed.

Here is the FINAL result (it looks deceptively okay from this angle). Please click on the thumbnails to see the problems I encountered (very straight strands in some places; only the "3rd floor" and "top floor" of my hair stretched. The middle, "2nd floor" of my hair didn't stretch!!!)

View attachment 370507
Deceptively okay-looking final result

Enlargeable thumbnails (click) that show the drama and the real story! "Shelves" in hair, stringy and even straight strands . . . :nono:. I DEFINITELY need to change my next stretching attempt and BAND several, several sections. :smile:
View attachment 370509 View attachment 370511 View attachment 370513
We live and we learn. The first and last picture look cute. I've never tried banding.

YvetteWithJoy

On break

:yep: Yeah! I keep seeing people with type 3 hair reviewing it.

But the descriptions sound so good! :laugh: Besides waiting for the no-buy to be over, I'm trying to wait until I hear from 4a folks. So glad you're type 4 and trialing it!

VictoriousBrownFlower

I really want to try curl keeper too. I use to use it when I was texlaxed and it worked great but it's kind of a watery serum type of texture that I'm not sure my natural hair will respond to the way I like. I'm still on the fence but if one of the tighter textured ladies try it and like it I may give it a shot.

My mom loved it for her natural hair but she's like a 3b so what works for her may not work for me.

@YvetteWithJoy If I tried banding on wet hair my hair would prob do the same thing. I think you might have more success if you let your hair dry at least 80% or so then do multiple bands. That way your curls won't straighten like they did in the exterior. You would get the best of both worlds. Elongation while your curls stay in tact.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Is there a video of Anthony Dickey performing his magic on very kinky hair (and not that straightening two-parter)?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@YvetteWithJoy If I tried banding on wet hair my hair would prob do the same thing. I think you might have more success if you let your hair dry at least 80% or so then do multiple bands. That way your curls won't straighten like they did in the exterior. You would get the best of both worlds. Elongation while your curls stay in tact.

:kiss: Oooooo! That is important and matters! 80%! Makes so much sense!

Can't wait to try this. The special bands I ordered (baby's headbands) will take weeks to get here.

I'm excited now: Curl definition at the tricky crown area from the DevaCurl Decadence conditioner + KCKT + KCCC was good. Add some banding and I might be like, "Relaxer? Texlaxing? Get outta here!" Only trialing and time will tell! ;)

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I have seen that one and this one:

I am talking about hair like mine: kinky nappy.

Oh! Girl! I gotcha. I consider us all nappy! :laugh: But you are right: When I want hair help, I be like "Wayment. Hol'up. Are you 4a, though? Huh, huh, huh?!!!! You're lookin' 4b to me, and my 4a curls be like . . . !" :laugh:

I'll look later today to see if I can find one. In the meanwhile, you might start reading about the Max/Maximum Hydration method. It is designed to cause 4c hair to clump and coil. It's info heavy! There are threads here and websites dedicated to it. You might already know of it.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
In the meanwhile, you might start reading about the Max/Maximum Hydration method. It is designed to cause 4c hair to clump and coil. It's info heavy!
Girl, I had already read that entire thread, two weeks...woo. One thing I learned from it was the importance of protein penetration for hydration. As my hair grows, I know I will have to add items and techniques. I found a small bottle of silk amino acid; now I just need to figure out how to incorporate it into my regiment.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Today I just wet my hair to reset my hair's hang after yesterday's experiment with stretching via just one ponytail. I applied nothing in the shower.

Then I removed excess water, applied Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (so many people have recommended I try it), and let it air dry.

Results: Feels good. Looks okay. Pretty undefined at the roots. Super light (almost unfeelable) hold. I think if I define my roots somehow (with the right leave-in???) before applying the CRN Aloe Whipped Gel, that might work out really well!

P.S. My banding bands came in! (They are headbands for babies). I'm shocked! Shipping estimates said the arrival would be weeks from now. I'll have to find a day when I'm feeling adventurous enough to try the bands. :look: I think I'm going to start off with just ONE section of hair and just see what that does. :grin:

LavenderMint

Today I just wet my hair to reset my hair's hang after yesterday's experiment with stretching via just one ponytail. I applied nothing in the shower.

Then I removed excess water, applied Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (so many people have recommended I try it), and let it air dry.

Results: Feels good. Looks okay. Pretty undefined at the roots. Super light (almost unfeelable) hold. I think if I define my roots somehow (with the right leave-in???) before applying the CRN Aloe Whipped Gel, that might work out really well!

P.S. My banding bands came in! (They are headbands for babies). I'm shocked! Shipping estimates said the arrival would be weeks from now. I'll have to find a day when I'm feeling adventurous enough to try the bands. :look: I think I'm going to start off with just ONE section of hair and just see what that does. :grin:
I never never liked the CRN Aloe Whipped Gel. It's like the gel part was a misnomer, much more like a cream than anything else and zero hold on my coils. I used it for sealing my twist bun in the winter.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I never never liked the CRN Aloe Whipped Gel. It's like the gel part was a misnomer, much more like a cream than anything else and zero hold on my coils. I used it for sealing my twist bun in the winter.

Yeah. :yep: I feel like they were very strategic with the name -- with each word.

Whipped.
Aloe.
Butter.
Gel.

You're thinking: They whipped a butter and gel together? Genius, 'cause that's probably PRECISELY what I neeeeeeed! LOL! :laugh:

I like it, I just don't think it can be my ONLY styler the way it is for some folks. It would need to go OVER a curl-defining leave-in or UNDER a gel . . . or something! :smile:

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
Hey @YvetteWithJoy I've been thinking for the majority of last year I would do finger coils but I would do very small sections. Small enough that I wouldn't need to separate. I will try to find some pictures for you. I'm bringing it up because I would get so much definition doing this. I would do it because I felt it gave me a more uniform look. I have different textures going in and doing the coils gave a more uniform appearance. I don't do them now because they take to long. I got the idea from watching Terri Laflesh she has a method called tightly curly check YouTube and Google she has a website. I used gel but you can also use conditioner or a cream.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Now that I'm taking a break from wigs and dealing with my real hair again I'm actually having fun with my hair now. I couldnt find my denman brush yesterday so i decided to use my wet brush to detangle and define my curls. then i dried it a little bit with a blowdryer. this is my result

i honestly did not care for the result.

so today i used my denman brush and sat under the dryer.(i had to have a fan on me while doing this lol) i used the same products although a little less today. this is my results

i like this look. it gets bigger as the days pass anyway which is good. I also have alot of volume compared to doing it like i did yesterday. so now im pleased!

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
Now that I'm taking a break from wigs and dealing with my real hair again I'm actually having fun with my hair now. I couldnt find my denman brush yesterday so i decided to use my wet brush to detangle and define my curls. then i dried it a little bit with a blowdryer. this is my result

i honestly did not care for the result.

so today i used my denman brush and sat under the dryer.(i had to have a fan on me while doing this lol) i used the same products although a little less today. this is my results

i like this look. it gets bigger as the days pass anyway which is good. I also have alot of volume compared to doing it like i did yesterday. so now im pleased!
@Napp I always love your hair it's so pretty. I like it both ways.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Woooo, it's still soaking wet, but I like the way today's wash-and-go products felt in my hair!

I meant to do LCF (leave-in, cream, foam) but accidentally ended up doing CLF (cream, leave-in, foam). I'm just so used to applying conditioner right after cleansing. I don't even wanna know if there's any write-up anywhere about a LCF or CLF method, but I BETCHA somebody's talked about it SOMEWHERE! :laugh:

I'll try to remember to come back and post update pics of the final effect once the wash-and-go is dry.

Blessings, everybody! Have a great day today! :wave:

WP_20160818_010WashNGoCombo - Copy.png

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Woooo, it's still soaking wet, but I like the way today's wash-and-go products felt in my hair!

I meant to do LCF (leave-in, cream, foam) but accidentally ended up doing CLF (cream, leave-in, foam). I'm just so used to applying conditioner right after cleansing. I don't even wanna know if there's any write-up anywhere about a LCF or CLF method, but I BETCHA somebody's talked about it SOMEWHERE! :laugh:

I'll try to remember to come back and post update pics of the final effect once the wash-and-go is dry.

Blessings, everybody! Have a great day today! :wave:

View attachment 370775

The frizz! Oh, the frizz!

I can't upload a pic right now, but right now I have more frizz with the above product combination than if I wash my hair and put nothing in it.

:ohwell:

Crossing THAT combo off of my list!

LavenderMint

I really want to commit to consistently doing wash and go's during the fall/winter but I'm worried about how dry the air gets here. Cream stylers don't do anything for my hair in a wng and protective styles like twists make my ends go haywire and always have. I kind of feel like I don't have any option beyond ps in the winter but ........ I hate them because my hair hates them.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
I really want to commit to consistently doing wash and go's during the fall/winter but I'm worried about how dry the air gets here. Cream stylers don't do anything for my hair in a wng and protective styles like twists make my ends go haywire and always have. I kind of feel like I don't have any option beyond ps in the winter but ........ I hate them because my hair hates them.
How does your hair behave with straight oils and butters on your ends?

Napp

Ms. Nobody

What do you usually use?

LavenderMint

What do you usually use?
Last winter was my first winter with loose natural hair. I mostly used the Camille Rose Naturals Whipped Aloe Gel over their Moisture Milk with sweet almond oil or castor oil on my ends. Sometimes I would switch it up with Giovanni Direct Leave-In or KCKT.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
The frizz! Oh, the frizz!

I can't upload a pic right now, but right now I have more frizz with the above product combination than if I wash my hair and put nothing in it.

:ohwell:

Crossing THAT combo off of my list!

I had trouble uploading the pic. I'll try again later.

Hubby and a random stranger said the curls were great in the back and sides -- it was just the crown that had the frizz and lack of definition.

I'm thinking of what I'll try next, based on the issues with what I last tried:

For definition: DevaCurl Decadence One Condition?
For moisture: Oyin Hair Dew?
For elongation: The Original Moxie Shape Shifter?
For hold: Design Essentials Foam???

We'll see!