Fall/Winter Wash n go challenge

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I've seen it at Target

@YvetteWithJoy you can find it at target. I stopped by there the other day and picked up the gel too

Thanks so much!

Question: When I go to Target, I will purchase a product called Curl Keeper ______??? (Gel? Styling Cream? Original?). They have THREE products -- at least -- with the words "Curl Keeper" in it. I've been assuming everyone is talking about the same product . . . the Curl Keeper Gel and not the Curl Keeper Original or the Curl Keeper Styling Cream? I tried to find my old past that asked about this, and I don't see.

VERY SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION. Thanks for your help! :heart:

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
:wave:

@Napp and @Saludable84 and @Pokahontas:

:imsorry:
Do you mind sharing the exact name of the Curl Keeper product again . . . or better yet a link. I'm going to see if I can find a sample of it at Ulta or something.

I know I asked SOMEWHERE before, I just can't remember which thread and I don't have time to look for that post.

Thanks in advance.

I have all three. I got them a while back at target. I used the original (purple). I have regular sizes but the sample pack should be fine if you want to try all. Not sure I'll ever try the cream styler, as I haven't checked out the reviews yet. Have not tried the gel yet, but that's the one @Pokahontas uses.

The original provides definition to the curl, but does not create a hard hold. I had curls for 3 days but my hair was soft. If you want no hold, go with the original. If you want hold, go with the gel. The original is pH balanced btw.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I have all three. I got them a while back at target. I used the original (purple). I have regular sizes but the sample pack should be fine if you want to try all. Not sure I'll ever try the cream styler, as I haven't checked out the reviews yet. Have not tried the gel yet, but that's the one @Pokahontas uses.

The original provides definition to the curl, but does not create a hard hold. I had curls for 3 days but my hair was soft. If you want no hold, go with the original. If you want hold, go with the gel. The original is pH balanced btw.

:thankyou:

Got it.

I can't purchase the sample from Target (http://www.target.com/p/curl-keeper-cocktail-kit-contains-3-4z-orig-gel-sty-crm/-/A-49116173) until after my no-buy ends in 3 months, but that gives me something lovely to look forward to at the end of the no-buy.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I'm about to get off the 'net. I've had it on in the background all day.

The next priority wash-and-go product combo is as follows:
1. Water rinse instead of wash
2. Rinse-out conditioner: DevaCurl Decadence One Condition
3. Leave-in: Shea Moisture LowPo Leave-in Detangler
4. Style: Shea Moisture Rose Oil Complex Nourish and Silken gel

The gel doesn't arrive until Thursday. I'm hoping to do only one wash-and-go between now and then, using the following products:

1. Water rinse instead of wash
2. SM Hipo Masque as rinse-out conditioner
3. SM Professional Line Cocoshea Biolipid Complex Curl Memory Leave-in Conditioner
4. A gel: Should I use the SM Hipo gel? The DevaCurl Ultra Defining Hold gel? Kinky Curly Curling Custard? Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker? Uncle Funky's Daughter Curl Stimulator?

I'm leaning toward the DevaCurl gel: I don't think it's ever flaked on me, and it gave me my best at-home wash-and-go (looks-wise) ever. My problem was how drying it felt to me. But with the conditioning I'm doing beforehand, it'd be good to test how that gel performs with the SM Prof Line leave-in beneath it. :yep:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Thanks so much!

Question: When I go to Target, I will purchase a product called Curl Keeper ______??? (Gel? Styling Cream? Original?). They have THREE products -- at least -- with the words "Curl Keeper" in it. I've been assuming everyone is talking about the same product . . . the Curl Keeper Gel and not the Curl Keeper Original or the Curl Keeper Styling Cream? I tried to find my old past that asked about this, and I don't see.

VERY SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION. Thanks for your help! :heart:
I use the gel. Ordered it from Target online.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    11.1 KB · Views: 43

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Had to share this here with you.

Okay, so how about I walk into the Ulta and one lone bottle of Shea Moisture Rose Oil Complex gel is just sitting there all by its lonesome.

What?!?? I went to this Ulta twice to try to get this product before ordering online. (Target just changed the arrival estimation date from Thursday . . . to between Thursday and Sunday. Okay. :smile:)

Back to Ulta.

I asked the (Russian?) lady styling someone's hair: "Do you carry Curl Keeper samples?"
She said, "No. But so . . . you are looking to give your haird cuhhls?"
And I said, "Yes. I've tried all sorts of gels--"
She cuts me off, "Gel causes vlakes and dryness and all sorts ov problems. The verhry best thing to devine your cuhhls is Frizz Dizmiz, rat behind you in the gohld bahtel."
I said "Oh, yeah? Well--"
She cuts me off: "Trust me. Ve have vomen in here that will do your hair and make it so beyootihfuhl. Zeedoh frizz. Devined. Sahft hold. That is a vehrry guut prahduct."

LOL! I resisted, but the reviews look pretty good! https://www.amazon.com/Redken-Frizz...ll_btm?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=recent

I haven't investigated the ingredients yet.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Had to share this here with you.

Okay, so how about I walk into the Ulta and one lone bottle of Shea Moisture Rose Oil Complex gel is just sitting there all by its lonesome.

What?!?? I went to this Ulta twice to try to get this product before ordering online. (Target just changed the arrival estimation date from Thursday . . . to between Thursday and Sunday. Okay. :smile:)

Back to Ulta.

I asked the (Russian?) lady styling someone's hair: "Do you carry Curl Keeper samples?"
She said, "No. But so . . . you are looking to give your haird cuhhls?"
And I said, "Yes. I've tried all sorts of gels--"
She cuts me off, "Gel causes vlakes and dryness and all sorts ov problems. The verhry best thing to devine your cuhhls is Frizz Dizmiz, rat behind you in the gohld bahtel."
I said "Oh, yeah? Well--"
She cuts me off: "Trust me. Ve have vomen in here that will do your hair and make it so beyootihfuhl. Zeedoh frizz. Devined. Sahft hold. That is a vehrry guut prahduct."

LOL! I resisted, but the reviews look pretty good! https://www.amazon.com/Redken-Frizz...ll_btm?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=recent

I haven't investigated the ingredients yet.
Well I'm interested in anything that says humidity resistant. Thanks for sharing! I may have something else I have to get lol.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Well I'm interested in anything that says humidity resistant. Thanks for sharing! I may have something else I have to get lol.

LOL! I'm sharing in part so that I don't forget about. She was REALLY adamant. And her words were kind of vibing with a lot of what I've been experiencing. I left out the part when she said, "With gel, you have to wet and wash your hair quite a bit. With creme . . ."

It's not a cheap creme, there seem to be a lot of one-word 5-star Amazon reviews, but still over all I get a positive impression. It might be what I use one of my no-buy passes on. :smile:

It's encouraging to learn of options!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Gorgeous pictures, ladies!!! :love5:

Update #1: Revisiting the Shea Moisture Professional Line's Curl Memory Leave-in Creme didn't work out! :laugh: I have a dry fro. No hangage, no moisturized look. Hubby said, "At least it smells good." :look:

Update #2: So, I went back to the Ulta where the (Russian?) lady gave me advice about using Redken's Frizz Dismiss creme or Dismiss Frizz creme or whatever it's called. A sister was there this time, and she was like, "Ummmm, no. It's great for blow dry outs and so forth, but not necessarily for wash-and-go's." Then she proceeded to call her sister, who has 4a hair like mine and rocks 10 day wash-and-go's that she says "get me stopped." :laugh:

I thought I'd share her routine, despite the fact that I don't think it would work on my fine hair (her hair is course, and she uses a LOT of product!!!)

1. Wash with your favorite shampoo
2. Deep condition with Bee-u-ti-ful deep conditioner
3. Apply creme: My Honey Child Type 4 Creme
4. Apply leave-in: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion leave-in, she said, in the blue bottle
5. Apply oil: oil of your choice; she uses a mix that has jojoba oil
6. Apply gel: Uncle Funky's Daughter's Curl Stimulator

She says this wash-and-go is show stopping. LOL! She says it is important not to apply gel everyday, else it dries out the hair. To refresh, she simply sprays it with water, adding oil if need be. When it starts to 'fro up, she flashes it under the water and adds oil and gel as need be. She says she gets 10-11 days out of this.

This would weigh my hair down, I'm thinking! My best ever wash and go was from a professional, and it looked amazing. After conditioning me with DevaCurl Decadence One Condition, she rinsed all but a little of it out and put me under the dryer. When my hair was slightly damp, she raked and shingled in Uncle Funky's Daughter's Curl Stimultor. That was IT. TWO products, and one was almost all rinsed out!!! LOL! My hair was SUPER moist, with that gorgeous, elongated, shiny, wet look. I couldn't even recognize my hair! It lasted 3 days, and I'm sure I could have gone a 4th. I can't see myself doing CLOG (creme, leave-in, oil, gel). The lady told me that the key was the OIL.

Just thought I'd share, in case it resonates with someone. :smile: Blessings!

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
Gorgeous pictures, ladies!!! :love5:

Update #1: Revisiting the Shea Moisture Professional Line's Curl Memory Leave-in Creme didn't work out! :laugh: I have a dry fro. No hangage, no moisturized look. Hubby said, "At least it smells good." :look:

Update #2: So, I went back to the Ulta where the (Russian?) lady gave me advice about using Redken's Frizz Dismiss creme or Dismiss Frizz creme or whatever it's called. A sister was there this time, and she was like, "Ummmm, no. It's great for blow dry outs and so forth, but not necessarily for wash-and-go's." Then she proceeded to call her sister, who has 4a hair like mine and rocks 10 day wash-and-go's that she says "get me stopped." :laugh:

I thought I'd share her routine, despite the fact that I don't think it would work on my fine hair (her hair is course, and she uses a LOT of product!!!)

1. Wash with your favorite shampoo
2. Deep condition with Bee-u-ti-ful deep conditioner
3. Apply creme: My Honey Child Type 4 Creme
4. Apply leave-in: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion leave-in, she said, in the blue bottle
5. Apply oil: oil of your choice; she uses a mix that has jojoba oil
6. Apply gel: Uncle Funky's Daughter's Curl Stimulator

She says this wash-and-go is show stopping. LOL! She says it is important not to apply gel everyday, else it dries out the hair. To refresh, she simply sprays it with water, adding oil if need be. When it starts to 'fro up, she flashes it under the water and adds oil and gel as need be. She says she gets 10-11 days out of this.

This would weigh my hair down, I'm thinking! My best ever wash and go was from a professional, and it looked amazing. After conditioning me with DevaCurl Decadence One Condition, she rinsed all but a little of it out and put me under the dryer. When my hair was slightly damp, she raked and shingled in Uncle Funky's Daughter's Curl Stimultor. That was IT. TWO products, and one was almost all rinsed out!!! LOL! My hair was SUPER moist, with that gorgeous, elongated, shiny, wet look. I couldn't even recognize my hair! It lasted 3 days, and I'm sure I could have gone a 4th. I can't see myself doing CLOG (creme, leave-in, oil, gel). The lady told me that the key was the OIL.

Just thought I'd share, in case it resonates with someone. :smile: Blessings!
You may want to visit this technique I wasn't using near enough product when I first started and couldn't figure out why I was not getting multiple day hair. I don't have weighed down hair.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
this is second hair day with curl keeper original and my savile leave in. it feels great and the curls are holding well. i spritzed some alikay naturals curl refresher to help any flattened parts that got too stretched overnight. it works like a charm!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
this is second hair day with curl keeper original and my savile leave in. it feels great and the curls are holding well. i spritzed some alikay naturals curl refresher to help any flattened parts that got too stretched overnight. it works like a charm!

Love it!

In your siggy it says your hair is keratin treated. What does that mean, and what effect did that have on your hair?

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
So I had to go in CVS today. Regardless of what I need to purchase I always visit the hair aisle. They had curls unleashed products buy one get one half off. So I got the leave in and curl boosting jelly. I used both these products early on after my big chop. I'm curious to see what my results will be now that my hair is long. I really don't know why I stopped using it. I'll probably try it out on Saturday.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Today's interaction with my hair

Me: Here! TAKE this moisture! And keep it! And let me find out that you went out the house without this moisture I'm giving you!

Hair: But . . . but . . . you were all over the place today. You used a cone, you revisited Oyin Hair Dew, you layered on top of the Hair Dew castor oil -- of all things!. And then you banded me. (Hair looks around with a look that says "What the heck?!??) I've never been banded! So, I don't know HOW I'll behave. And I'm just letting you know: I can't be held responsible if I'm not able to hold on to today's moisture! (Defiant crossing of the arms.) There's just waaaaaaay too much new stuff going on today. (Turns head away from me, turns up nose, frowns, and gives me the hand.)

Me: I know one thing: I'm checking in on you in about four hours. You better be hydrated, moisturized, defined, and stretched. All FOUR. (Pointed look, like "Say sumpin', say sumpin'!")

Hair (mumbling under her breath): Who has she been TALKING to? Castor oil? CASTOR OIL?!?? I think it's making it hard to breathe. And these bands are restrictive. I. Can't. Move. Deep exhale: I hope this trial is WORTH it. :nono:

upload_2016-8-24_13-40-28.png
--------
Yeah. I woke up this morning and my hair was kind of moisturized, but kind of dry. It's hard to explain. Anyway, I was like, "NO!" (Stomping my foot). "We will NOT keep repeating this!" So, whatever I tried today needed to deviate from my same old Anthony Dickey method with just only a product or two switched out here or there or moved to a different step order.

So I let the words of the stylist's sister from yesterday influence me. She does what you could abbreviate as C.L.O.G.: cream, leave-in, oil, gel. I used Oyin Hair Dew as my cream leave-in (I guess that's "legal" for a C.L.O.G.), castor oil for my oil, and I'm still deciding about which gel to try. I'm not even sure WHEN I'll apply gel. Something in my gut said, "Don't apply it before putting on the bands." I don't know why, though!

Anyhoo :smile:, I'll share the results and whether I ended up using gel, and when. And, technically I guesss it's not a wash-and-go. It's a wash-and-band-and-later-go. :grinwink:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
. . .

Yeah. I woke up this morning and my hair was kind of moisturized, but kind of dry. It's hard to explain. Anyway, I was like, "NO!" (Stomping my foot). "We will NOT keep repeating this!" So, whatever I tried today needed to deviate from my same old Anthony Dickey method with just only a product or two switched out here or there or moved to a different step order.

So I let the words of the stylist's sister from yesterday influence me. She does what you could abbreviate as C.L.O.G.: cream, leave-in, oil, gel. I used Oyin Hair Dew as my cream leave-in (I guess that's "legal" for a C.L.O.G.), castor oil for my oil, and I'm still deciding about which gel to try. I'm not even sure WHEN I'll apply gel. Something in my gut said, "Don't apply it before putting on the bands." I don't know why, though!

Anyhoo :smile:, I'll share the results and whether I ended up using gel, and when. And, technically I guesss it's not a wash-and-go. It's a wash-and-band-and-later-go. :grinwink:

Banding after C.L.O.G. method
ResultsOfFirstHairBandingAug252016.jpg

Wash-and-go with no banding
View media item 128823
I liked the results of the C.L.O.G. strategy combined with banding. I like my hair more than I've liked it in a while. :smile: Yay! I loved the ever-so-slight yet noticeable-to-me elongation. I love this MOISTURE and suppleness!

My only issue was that same, persistent challenge: Undefined roots! Someone's comment at another thread about another topic is resonating with me: The foundation (shampoo, DC) matters so much in styling and hair health. I do recognize that the conditioner and leave-in and raking/shingling/finger coiling/styling steps have a lot to do with definition. I'm also going to see if I can increase my curl definition by attending carefully to my hair at the shampoo and DC steps.

Tweaks I'm thinking of making to this initial attempt: Apply gel or custard before banding the hair. (Because applying DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel AFTER the banding, and at 90% dry did not do a lot for the process.) If roots are undefined after styling, rewet roots and finger coil with gel, maybe??? Incorporate @cutiepiebabygirl's product tips and layering tips (need to use just a smidgen of each product, yet need to try layering several things). Thanks, @cutiepiebabygirl! Your advice is making sense! :smile:

Last edited:

Luscious850

Wednesday 8/24 - Random Cowash Day

- Cowash: SM Manuka Honey
- Oil Rinse: homemade oil mix

Since this was unplanned I ended up twisting up my hair until my regular weekend w&go.
-------
Homemade oil mixture:
5oz evoo
2oz jbco coconut
1oz pure jbco
1oz flax seed oil
1oz shea oil
1oz tea tree vitamin e oil

This mixture smells SO good (like fruits w/a hint of coconut) and it makes my hair so manageable I haven't had to use a comb all week. I use it as my oil rinse, pre poo and to seal my ends.
---------
Adding a pic just to show my new color. Clairol: 1N

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    948.7 KB · Views: 31