Fall/Winter Wash n go challenge

kimmiecakes

Used Cantu Curl Activator and Wetline gel today. My hair is EXTREMELY soft and bouncy with the Cantu even with using the wetline. It feels great but they don't seem like lasting curls. Excuse my bedtime pineapple lol. I'll try to take another pic later when it's down.
I just applied these two. I hope to get a softer curl. Will keep you posted after it dries.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
:wave:

Hi, ladies.

I am posting here because this is my main "home" at LHCF. :smile:

I'm going to try wigging it. :look: This because my ultimate goal is waist-length. I think I'll have a better chance of getting there if I can protective style. It's been challenging for me to protective style with awkward-length hair (don't like feeling trapped in crochet braids, and it's hard to bun at this length).

However, this is a protective style strategy I hadn't thought of: I feel that if I DC and two-strand twist, leave them in for 1-2 weeks under a wig, and then repeat . . . my hair might grow and retain like it does when I have crochet braids installed. If it does, that would be great: It would surpass the crochet braid strategy because I can't cornrow nor install my own crochet braids, but I can two-strand twist and position a wig. :laugh: It would also give me more control and allow me to take down my hair when I want to, DC properly, use up products, etc.

I feel like this will help me to more avoid tangles and SSKs and to get in good practice with two-strand twisting, too. Before I start this, I'm going to have a professional examine and dust my ends. Tangles and SSKs have resulted in tiny little knots on the bottoms of a lot of my strands. I want to see what a professional says about these.

I'm kind of excited, but I'm a little concerned I won't be disciplined enough: I'm afraid I'll get bored with wigs. I need to stick with this for at least 6 weeks to see what effect it has on my hair loss due to tangles and SSKs.

How do you deal with the monotony and boredom of wigs?

kimmiecakes

:wave:

Hi, ladies.

I am posting here because this is my main "home" at LHCF. :smile:

I'm going to try wigging it. :look: This because my ultimate goal is waist-length. I think I'll have a better chance of getting there if I can protective style. It's been challenging for me to protective style with awkward-length hair (don't like feeling trapped in crochet braids, and it's hard to bun at this length).

However, this is a protective style strategy I hadn't thought of: I feel that if I DC and two-strand twist, leave them in for 1-2 weeks under a wig, and then repeat . . . my hair might grow and retain like it does when I have crochet braids installed. If it does, that would be great: It would surpass the crochet braid strategy because I can't cornrow nor install my own crochet braids, but I can two-strand twist and position a wig. :laugh: It would also give me more control and allow me to take down my hair when I want to, DC properly, use up products, etc.

I feel like this will help me to more avoid tangles and SSKs and to get in good practice with two-strand twisting, too. Before I start this, I'm going to have a professional examine and dust my ends. Tangles and SSKs have resulted in tiny little knots on the bottoms of a lot of my strands. I want to see what a professional says about these.

I'm kind of excited, but I'm a little concerned I won't be disciplined enough: I'm afraid I'll get bored with wigs. I need to stick with this for at least 6 weeks to see what effect it has on my hair loss due to tangles and SSKs.

How do you deal with the monotony and boredom of wigs?
Yvette
I like the idea. Do you have to wear wigs for such a long time? How about three or four weeks. I will be wearing a wig in October some due to work stuff. I haven't ever committed to six weeks. I just take it as it comes. I like the idea tho. I'm pretty sure I won't keep doing wash and go. I like to get out of the bed and workout without thinking too much lol

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Yvette
I like the idea. Do you have to wear wigs for such a long time? How about three or four weeks. I will be wearing a wig in October some due to work stuff. I haven't ever committed to six weeks. I just take it as it comes. I like the idea tho. I'm pretty sure I won't keep doing wash and go. I like to get out of the bed and workout without thinking too much lol

Good question!

I usually wore my crochet installs for 6-10 weeks. I was trying to make it at least 6 weeks with the wig! LOL!

Maybe if I wear the wig Sunday - Friday and wear my hair out on Saturday I'll be less bored? I don't know! I know in the past I have found wearing wigs to bore me, and I would wear my own hair out just for the fun of it. I'll just have to see if I can focus less on the boredom and more on the idea of retaining hair and having few knots and SSKs, I guess. :smile:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I did a wash n go with curl junkie smoothing lotion and curl keeper original. I really like the results and my hair is soft and fluffy. This is my first time trying curl junkie

kimmiecakes

Today was day three of this wash and go. My first attempt with wetline and Cantu. At first I loved it however, today I realized it makes my curls tighter than I prefer. It definitely holds better than eco. I realized that I prefer a looser curl look. I think I will use it tomorrow to create a high loose pony . I still have tons of curls. Not all is lost.

faithVA

I'm not in this challenge but maybe one day. I'm still working on my wng and definition. I did a mudwash and used As I Am gel. This is the most definition I've ever had..

Here's a picture right after gel and then after the outer layer has dried.

IMG_20160924_103030941_HDR.jpg IMG_20160924_130933.jpg

The back has a nice shape but I have crazy and uneven shrinkage in the front. I ended up wearing a band to make it look somewhat normal.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
@faithVA Your hair looks very similar to mine. I think with clumping tiny coils, it is accumulative effect, meaning you have to do wng over a longer period of time to train the strands where they need to go. Or, rather, where they want to go naturally and style around that.

Even if I had perfect definition, the nature of my hair will still have my coils stacked upon one another like cords of wood. I'm cool with that and shrinkage does not bother me.

Don't mind me; I am laissez-faire and a bit out there...

Technique update: hard shaking makes more tangles, especially if not using a styling product. Now, I add more oil and gently agitate from the roots under running hot water, finishing with a cold rinse. I still shake a little, but only to remove drips.

Using a moisturizing clay wash (Tessentials Left Coast Lemon) after a major detangling session will help coax the coils to return sooner.

faithVA

@faithVA Your hair looks very similar to mine. I think with clumping tiny coils, it is accumulative effect, meaning you have to do wng over a longer period of time to train the strands where they need to go. Or, rather, where they want to go naturally and style around that.

Even if I had perfect definition, the nature of my hair will still have my coils stacked upon one another like cords of wood. I'm cool with that and shrinkage does not bother me.

Don't mind me; I am laissez-faire and a bit out there...

Technique update: hard shaking makes more tangles, especially if not using a styling product. Now, I add more oil and gently agitate from the roots under running hot water, finishing with a cold rinse. I still shake a little, but only to remove drips.

Using a moisturizing clay wash (Tessentials Left Coast Lemon) after a major detangling session will help coax the coils to return sooner.

Thanks. I will play around with it for another few weeks before I go back to twist. I don't have the desire to wash my hair every day to maintain this long term but it's fun to play around with.

It doesn't sound based on technique that our hair is similar but I appreciate the tips.

After the 6 weeks I will take a break until spring and try it again when my hair is longer.

faithVA

Your wng looks great @faithVA. You don't have to wash everyday to maintain.
Once I sleep on it it is smashed and it starts to dry out. I have not found a way to revive it with just water and steam. My hair doesn't seem to be hydrated enough at this point to go longer.

The flat hair I think I can work with but as it dries out thats when the tangles come in. It doesn't tangle when it's hydrated. It's too short to really band or pineapple.

faithVA

My hair isn't very long so it doesn't knot when I shake. I don't get any definition if I do praying hands or shingle, etc. Right now it's all I've got.

I have to wash/water rinse every 3 days when my hair is twisted up. So when it is out it only last for a day and a half before it dries.

Yeah for now there isn't any practical way for me to wear a wng regularly. I just have to enjoy it for the one day a quarter I try it. :Yep:

Last edited:

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
My hair isn't very long so it doesn't knot when I shake. I don't get any definition if I do praying hands or shingle, etc. Right now it's all I've got.

I have to wash/water rinse every 3 days when my hair is twisted up. So when it is out it only last for a day and a half before it dries.

Yeah for now there isn't any of tical way for me to wear a wng regularly. I just have to enjoy it for the one day a quarter I try it. :Yep:
It sounds like you still need something to seal in the moisture. That is what castor oil does for me. Also, when my hair gets mashed, I wet my hands and pull the hair where I want it. Right now, I sleep with a Loc Soc, but will look into other items when my hair gets longer.

faithVA

It sounds like you still need something to seal in the moisture. That is what castor oil does for me. Also, when my hair gets mashed, I wet my hands and pull the hair where I want it. Right now, I sleep with a Loc Soc, but will look into other items when my hair gets longer.

Thanks for the tips. I will keep working at it.

beingofserenity

I'm not in this challenge but maybe one day. I'm still working on my wng and definition. I did a mudwash and used As I Am gel. This is the most definition I've ever had..

Here's a picture right after gel and then after the outer layer has dried.

View attachment 374811 View attachment 374813

The back has a nice shape but I have crazy and uneven shrinkage in the front. I ended up wearing a band to make it look somewhat normal.

My hair looks like yours!!

beingofserenity

So do you do wngs? How long is your hair? How do you do your wng?

I used to do wash'n'gos but I ran into the same problems that you've encountered. Finger coils worked better for me, but I didn't like the look after I had slept on them. They got smooshed. My hair is between neck and shoulder. I tried out wash n gos when my hair was 2-4 inches long.

faithVA

I used to do wash'n'gos but I ran into the same problems that you've encountered. Finger coils worked better for me, but I didn't like the look after I had slept on them. They got smooshed. My hair is between neck and shoulder. I tried out wash n gos when my hair was 2-4 inches long.
OK Thanks.

I will update if I learn anything new. I think right now most of my issues are length issues but I will see. It's nice to have at least have the option to do a WNG in a pinch if I need to.

VictoriousBrownFlower

2nd day hair from conditioner only wash and go.

I've been doing something different with my wash and go and am really liking the results.

I do horizontal sections starting from the bottom up. Apply tons of conditioner to the whole section. Then split that section in half vertically. Rake the conditioner through til it's smooth. Then smooth the section into one big clump of a curl.

I let it dry fully in the big clumped curls. Once dry fully I seperate the hair where it wants to seperate. I'm left with defined, elongated, yet fluffy curls.

faithVA

For those that apply oil after the gel when do you do it? On wet hair, on damp hair or after its dry.

I know I can't use oil before the gel because my hair won't clump, it will straighten out And I will lose definition. When it's wet most things just slide off my hair since I'm lo. I'm thinking when it's damp but not sure.