Faster growth = Diminished hair quality? Maximum growth rate?

Charla

I've been thinking about this for a couple months now. Does anyone know if we're forcing faster growth does that mean that the hair that grows may not be as thick or strong? (By forcing I mean pushing our hair to grow faster than its genetically maximum growth rate. make sense?:perplexed)

So I'm thinking that taking vitamins, exercising, eating quality foods and plenty of water will help my genetic maximum growth rate, whereas doing things topically like sulfur oil, MN, Mega-tek, etc is helping to push the hair past it's maximum genetic growth rate. I don't know if this is true or not, but it just has me wondering.

Although, I know some people consider topical things like MN, sulfur, and Mega-tek, etc to be able to put the scalp in a position where it's killing fungus or something, thus allowing the hair to grow the way it should have been all along.

But then maybe that takes me to another question of what really is my genetic maximum growth rate? Before I used sulfur oil, I was consistently getting 0.5" monthly. Once I started oiling my scalp with evco, then made a sulfur oil with it, my growth rate increased dramatically. (BTW, my scalp seborrheic dermatitis, another hindrance to growth, has been completely healed as a result.) Now I can consistently get 0.75" and more each month. So...does that mean that the 0.75"+ is actually my maximum genetic growth rate and that 0.5" was really more of my minimum genetic growth rate?

LittleLuxe

A very interesting question.

I suspect very few, if any, of us really experiences our natural genetic growth rate.

I say that because some of us are lacking in certain areas, such as not consuming enough vitamins and minerals. While others suffer under effects of pollution and hard water.

What I'm trying to get at is I believe by eliminating things which hinder our bodies, not just our hair, such as the condition you faced, we start to see a growth rate which more accurately reflects how our bodies would operate if we were living health consciously.

I do believe there can be too much of a good thing, but I can't imagine your hair growth becoming weaker as it speeds up simply because in order to achieve optimum hair growth your body would already be getting what it needs to build hair in abundance.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
I do believe there can be too much of a good thing, but I can't imagine your hair growth becoming weaker as it speeds up simply because in order to achieve optimum hair growth your body would already be getting what it needs to build hair in abundance.

Exactly. Healthier practices can't damage the hair you're growing.

Tiye

You can't push your hair past it's genetic growth rate. You were below your max growth rate before and then as a result of different things you're doing now you've bumped your rate up perhaps to the max.

Your Cheeziness

A very interesting question.

I suspect very few, if any, of us really experiences our natural genetic growth rate.

I say that because some of us are lacking in certain areas, such as not consuming enough vitamins and minerals. While others suffer under effects of pollution and hard water.

What I'm trying to get at is I believe by eliminating things which hinder our bodies, not just our hair, such as the condition you faced, we start to see a growth rate which more accurately reflects how our bodies would operate if we were living health consciously.

This is basically my feelings about growth aids. They simply supplement our scalps with what we're not getting through diet and nutrition. And if we so happen to experience extra growth (I did consistently for 6 months on Megatek), then it is what it is.

Sulfur products did nothing for me, so I base that on the fact that I don't need anymore sulfur. But Megatek will have me knocking out .75 a month as long as I use it. When I get less than .5 inch a month normally.

ladysaraii

I agree iwth the above responses. I dont think we can force our hair grow any faster than its programmed to

Charla

Thanks, the responses makes sense. Also I can now understand why some women on here say they "don't believe in growth aids" because as stated above, it really seems like the growth aid is actually just filling a definicieny that was hindering what your genetic maximum growth was supposed to be anyway. Hmmm...

Also, this must be the reason why some growth aids seem to work great for a while and then the results taper off. When I first tried sulfur oil, my first month grew 1.25", 2nd month grew 1", 3rd month as more like 0.9", 4th month 0.8", and beyond has been holding at a steady 0.75"+. So maybe the sulfur filled some deficiency and is now holding steady, revealing my maximum genetic growth rate.

Hmmm... very in-te-resting!

Your Cheeziness I always thought Megatek was a sulfur product too. What's the growth aid in that?

Your Cheeziness

Thanks, the responses makes sense. Also I can now understand why some women on here say they "don't believe in growth aids" because as stated above, it really seems like the growth aid is actually just filling a definicieny that was hindering what your genetic maximum growth was supposed to be anyway. Hmmm...

Also, this must be the reason why some growth aids seem to work great for a while and then the results taper off. When I first tried sulfur oil, my first month grew 1.25", 2nd month grew 1", 3rd month as more like 0.9", 4th month 0.8", and beyond has been holding at a steady 0.75"+. So maybe the sulfur filled some deficiency and is now holding steady, revealing my maximum genetic growth rate.

Hmmm... very in-te-resting!

@Your Cheeziness I always thought Megatek was a sulfur product too. What's the growth aid in that?

I think it's Unicorn Tears. :look:

Jokes.

I have no clue. It's basically a protein conditioner. I don't know how or why it works for me. I just know that it does.

naturalmanenyc

I can't say that growth aides worked for me, so no, I do not think any hair that grows out is less healthy due to vitamins, topical treatments etc.

hola_lo2002

I've been thinking about this for a couple months now. Does anyone know if we're forcing faster growth does that mean that the hair that grows may not be as thick or strong? (By forcing I mean pushing our hair to grow faster than its genetically maximum growth rate. make sense?:perplexed)

So I'm thinking that taking vitamins, exercising, eating quality foods and plenty of water will help my genetic maximum growth rate, whereas doing things topically like sulfur oil, MN, Mega-tek, etc is helping to push the hair past it's maximum genetic growth rate. I don't know if this is true or not, but it just has me wondering.

Although, I know some people consider topical things like MN, sulfur, and Mega-tek, etc to be able to put the scalp in a position where it's killing fungus or something, thus allowing the hair to grow the way it should have been all along.

But then maybe that takes me to another question of what really is my genetic maximum growth rate? Before I used sulfur oil, I was consistently getting 0.5" monthly. Once I started oiling my scalp with evco, then made a sulfur oil with it, my growth rate increased dramatically. (BTW, my scalp seborrheic dermatitis, another hindrance to growth, has been completely healed as a result.) Now I can consistently get 0.75" and more each month. So...does that mean that the 0.75"+ is actually my maximum genetic growth rate and that 0.5" was really more of my minimum genetic growth rate?
You can't force growth... You can only create a better environment for your hair to grow into (taking vitamins if your eating habits are not ideal, making sure your scalp is clean and in good health, exercising, drinking water, etc.) Of course, genetics might influence growth, but I believe that the overall end result is influenced mainly by your haircare habits. The better you take care of it, the more your hair will grow

LaidBak

When I first started using MegaTek I kept a close eye on my hair. I know for a fact my hair got thicker and stronger. I could literally see it get thicker mid-strand. That's why I can't understand why people say that growth aids don't work. My hair grew faster (.5 inches in 3 weeks vice 5 weeks was what I experienced), and it was thicker.