Feb 08 Protective Styling for Spring Growth/Retention Challenge - Wanna join?

foxieroxienyc

Feb 08 Fun Protective Styling for Spring Growth/Retention Challenge - Wanna join?

Hey girls, ok so here's a little challenge for those of you - like me - who needs to get a KICK in the tin when it comes to protective styling. You've got your regi down (or not lol) and seeing progress but need to get really disciplined about protecting and preserving those precious ends.

So here are the rules:

1. Must wear hair up 4-5 days out of the week. Now I'm saying 4-5 because getting yourself to stick to actually conforming can be tough so each week you can work your way up to 5 days.

2. The other 2 or 3 days you ARE allowed to wear your hair out if like me looking cute for yourself is an obsession, lol. BUT you are ONLY allowed to wear your hair out in a low manipulation style such as a braid out/twist out/roller set. And you MUST make sure you have moisturized and sealed your hair when it is out. This will give great practice time for those who want to master these styles.

3. Your protective style MUST be feminine and stylish which means experimenting with what I call hair candy! One of the problems with me and PS is that it can be boring, so adding accessories for me makes it a lot more fun and sexy. So I want to encourage all of you to think outside of the box to make your hair growing journey really fun. So stock up on your collection of jewelry clips, flower clips, head bands, elastic head bands and scarves, you will need it. Jazz it up and take pics that you will post either here or your fotki to share with others. Also in a few days, I will put up a tutorial in my fotki on how to make homemade hair flowers with silk flowers and double prong clips! I have a protective styles gallery with styles that I rock w/ hair candy in my fotki.

4. Must wash and DC your hair 1x a week, and throw in a Co-wash 1-2x a week (or more if you want). Clean and well moisturized hair retains and maintains the ends! Also your nite regimen must include moisturizing and either pin curling, re-rolling, flexirodding, wrapping, braiding, twisting, OR something - point blank hair's not exposed. Or at least sleeping with a bonnet or on satin/silk pillow cases is a must.

5. Play around with more than just buns. You CAN wear semi-protective styles like ponytails and loose up-do's. Try sweeping across a sexy fringe bang in the front... Maybe part your hair down the middle and do double buns with a small flower next to one of them. Whatever you want, the goal is to create fun looks you can stick to.

6. Finally, keep heat to a minimum. You ARE allowed to flat iron if you want a straight look, but ONLY on the day you wash and DC and no other time during the week. So that's once a week. If you need to take care of your roots after a roller set, that's allowed too, but again only 1x during the week.
So that's it. I want to keep this light and simple and fun. You've got to follow up each week with a pic of your favorite creation and post the pic either here or in your fotki so you can share with others and keep the ideas flowing on how to change it up. The challenge starts Feb 1st and will end March 21st.

The end result, hoping for that 1/2 inch of growth at the end of the challenge and a new respect for PS-ing and expanding the creativity behind it....

Post a starting pic and your regimen with your reply!

And the FABULOUS Participants are:

Traycee
Pookie
KaramelDiva1978
MissFallon
FoxieRoxieNYC
TriniStarr
poochie167
Ms LaLa
runrunrunner
krissyprissy
DDtexlaxd
Tenacious
Rae1234
CarLiTa

Last edited:

foxieroxienyc

Hey there Traycee, yippie glad you're joining!:drunk: I loooove your hair, was stalking your blog and album earlier this week, lol.

In any case, dont forget to post your reggie!

So here's mine:

1. Occasionally Pre-Poo with Aphogee 2 min reconstructor or Coconut/Castor Oil/Yogurt Mix - sit under dryer for about 10-15 mins
  2. Wash 1x a week w/ Allways Moisturizing Poo
  3. DC with Nexxus Hemectress mixed in with Pantene R&N Mask
  4. Apply leave in (salerm 21 and or Aphogee Pro-Vitamin Leave-in)
  5. Roller set and dry w/ heat or air dry then flat iron
  6. Moisturize and seal when needed
I throw in a co-wash 2x a week with Hello Hydration (mixed with castor oil and SAA) then do a braidout.

I'm getting a relaxer so I will post my official starting pic then (in about a week) but my siggy has my current length.

poookie

this sounds fun! i'm in!

except i'm not wearing my hair down at all, or blowdrying; i'm challenging myself to hide my hair until april fool's day :)

BUT... here's my hair agenda:

cowash 3x a week using a vo5 conditioner
pre-poo every wash day with cream of nature nourishing conditioner + honey
shampoo 1x a week with a chagrin valley shampoo bar
protein reconsructor every other week using nexxus keraphix (my hair LOVES protein)
moisturize daily with elasta QP intense or GVP's "humectress"
seal with castor oil (my new love!!!)
deep condition 1x a week with ORS replenishing conditioner or keracare humecto + honey

and air dried wet pincurl sets every day until april 1st!

Last edited:

KaramelDiva1978

Hi Roxie,
Please count me in this challenge. I need to learn some tips and use the few that I like. I've just started experimenting with the braidouts and I really like them to give me a cute 'do for a few days and all I have to do is put on my silk bonnet at night.

My Regi (ever-changing it is)
1.) I am currently enjoying my Ayurvedic oils and powders. :yep: The Vatika and Coconut oils I use weekly. My Shikakai and Amla powders for tea rinses I do every other week along with my Shikakai bar that I love.

2.) In between that time I use either CON shampoo and conditioner or 'ole faithful ORS Creamy Aloe shampoo and ORS Replenishing Pak deep conditioner. However the PJ in me :wallbash: just bought Organix Coconut Milk shampoo and conditioner today, so that too will be in the rotation.

3.) I either braidout every other night or bun, now that I have some length and my buns are getting some thickness to them.

4.) I always deep condition with every shampoo and I only flat iron at the salon after my relaxer. My stylist uses Designer's Touch relaxer and lately flat ironing, but I want to get back to my roller wraps.

I'm just so GREEDY and length obsessed. Here are my starting lengths and braidout. :lick::lick::lick::lick::lick:

I'm so trying for BSL by June this year!! I gotta claim it, it has my name written all over it!!!!! :lachen:

MissFallon

I'm in. I am trying to get to a full APL by the end of March. I am going to do protective styles and low manipulaton styles until then. I will be wearing wash n go's, and high puffs. I can get atleast a week in these styles but will wash once a week on Sundays and cowash on Thursdays. I wash with a clarifying shampoo every other week. I am going to be using suave humectant or pantene hydrating curls as a reg condioner and one of my many cholesterols to deep condition, or hair mayo.

sydney100

Hello-

I'm new to the board and I would love to take part of this challenge. I already wear my hair up seven days out of the week, but the challenge will be to keep it feminine and the weekly washes-LOL I will post pictures later.

Hair Type- 4b
Current Length-Neck Line

TriniStarr

ME!!! please include me in!!!!

Btw...i bun my hair 7 days of the week, so that proactive step should be no problem for me!

Here is my reggie:
  1. Prepoo with ORS Hair Mayo 1x a week
  2. Wash with KeraCare Hydating Poo 1x a week
  3. Precond with Aphogee 2 mim RECON (5mins) 1x a week (Do this becasue i am TRYING (GOD WILLING) to stretch my relaxer for 32 wks)
  4. DC with KeraCare Humecto Cond 1x a week
  5. Apply ORS Olive Oil to the roots to keep the NG moist. Apply EVOO to seal the ends
  6. Bun
  7. Airdry (I do not have ANY type of hair dryers)
  8. Apply satin doo-rag at night to sleep

foxieroxienyc

Awesome ladies! I'm so glad you guys are on board!

You dont have to wear your hair down at all, if you dont want to. That clause is for those who feel comfortable to or need to just hold on to a few days of feeling like they have some kind of freedom without the guilt. :yep:

Dont forget - CREATIVITY IS KEY! Take pics of your favorite style that you created for the week, and post an update each week (so this challenge is about 5 weeks, so 5 updates in that time would be great). Don't worry if you don't get to do it, because life happens. But I really want us to get to share some ideas so we can rid the stigma of buns being the only protective style! :drunk::yep:

Dposh167

ooooooooohh....I'M IN!!!

I can abide by all of these rules since i do them anyway! very nice challenge!

btw...the starting pic i have will have to be from end of dec. I'm right in the middle of a stretch and promised myself i will NOT do a length check pic til March. so when we all reveal our lenths in march, i will reveal mine as well

Last edited:

Je Ne Sais Quoi

This sounds like a great challenge :yep: Too bad I can't do it :nono: :lachen::lachen: I wish I could, but putting my hair up on a regular basis gives me headaches and a sore scalp.

Ms Lala

I want to join but I only wash every 10-12 days. I have too much thick natural hair to do the weekly thing right now. Can I still do the challenge and follow the other rules?

foxieroxienyc

Hey Ms Lala, sure you can join. I should say then if you already have a reggi to just follow it, dont worry about extra washings etc if what works for you does just that (works!).

Welcome!

foxieroxienyc

Hey guys so today is day one!!! Good luck to you all, I hope we all reach amazing results by the end of the challenge. Dont forget to follow up with your weekly favorite up do creation photo. If you dont get to do a photo of your hair, if you purchased a new accessory that you'd like to share then let us see!

I've got a day one update of some cool headbands I picked up today - they were on sale!

I'll post it later, lol.:yep::yawn:

youwillrise

i'll join!

i've been in a protective (twists) for 16 days so far.

and plan on doing protectives for pretty much the rest of the year.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I'm in! I am doing PS anyway and I'm learning how to make my twists last thru the night. I intend to twist and roller set the ends.

Tenacious

Hey, I'm totally in this one! I'm a tad bit late... Count me in! I'm posting a picture soon.

Neways my regime:

Shampoo & DC: Sunday
NTM & LeKair Cholesterol

Condition-wash: Daily
Tresemme Anti-Breakage Conditioner

Moisturize & Seal: Daily
Sta-Sof-Fro, Olive Oil, Castor Oil & Honey

Scalp Treatments: Monday, Wednesday & Friday
Wild Growth

Challenges:
1. Baggie 24/7
2. No Heat
3. Co-wash daily
4. Moisturize daily
5. No/Low Manipulation

Last edited:

CarLiTa

Je suis IN!!!:grin:

i'm already getting a little worried about my ends. I just had a trim a month ago!
after I rollerset I will determine if they need a little dusting or not.
I need to do all of this. I'm in!

foxieroxienyc

Awesome you guys!! I'm so happy to see other people joining us! All my favorite gals too, lol. Sweet!

Adding you all to the list! :drunk::yep:

Ms Lala

I am primarilyl going to do buns and half wigs. I think I may go longer than Mar.21st for the challenge. I want to reach my goal by the summer.

foxieroxienyc

Hey Ms. Lala, thanks for checking in! Buns are cool, dress those babies up with some hair candy and can't nobody tell you nothin! lol

I figured March 21st because that's like the first day of spring -- lol I think mar 20th is but oh well, what's one day!?:grin: So just to turn a new leaf for the rest of what's left of winter. Maybe after we all have our reveals at the end of the challenge we can set up part two which can take us through the summer!

Ladies let's do our weekly check in on Friday Feb 8th. Take a pic of your favorite style/styles for the week, and/or your newest or favorite accessory and how you like to use it. Also if you've made any adjustments or changes to your nightly regime - or wash routine etc - you can list that too. Let's share our knowledge and creativity!

Hope you're all well! :hula:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I'm doing roller sets, twists, and bunning as I stretch out my relaxer. Now if I could cornrow everything would be perfect!:grin:

gymfreak336

Foxie, this is really great. I need this really BAD :lol: I am in! My lack of protective styling is my biggest issue right now.

My regime

Wash every 3-4 days
Massage oil into my scalp and hair the night before my wash
Shampoo with any Joico shampoo
Deep condition after everywash with Kenra mc, paul mitchell supercharged, Joico moisture recovery intense hydrator, ORS replenishing
Protein with joico kpack conditioner, paul mitchell hair repair as needed
Rollerset and dry

PuffyBrown

I can do this one. count me in

I currently am wearing protective styles but now I am going to have to try some different styles and accessories with this challenge. I am not a good hair stylist so this will be a good chance for me to learn how to do some styles like a donut or something. Even with the tutorial I just cant get one.

I co wash 1x per week, midweek:yawn:, I currently DC once per week.

Last edited:

Islandspyce

Is it too late to join? My regimen is a DC once a week with 10en1 or keracare humectress. CO washes with EQ intense conditioner or Hello Hydration. Roller set with lacio lacio. I use a MN mix every other night which makes my hair pretty oily so I am bunning my hair all the time anyway.:grin: