February 2018: Hits & Misses

Sally.

Hits
1. Henna, Coconut Milk, and AVJ - this was a breeze to apply and rinse out. hair felt strong and full.
2. amika Obliphica Nourishing Hair Mask - smells good, has slip, moisturizes well.
3. AVJ/Oil Prepoo Overnight - hair strands felt thick and plump.

Miss

1. Devacurl No Poo Decadence - product has no slip, left my hair tangly, and my hair didn't feel cleansed in any way.
2. Mixed Chicks Deep Conditioner - no slip and didn't feel moisturizing, had to mix with evoo.

Last edited:

Sosa

Still a big hit sense September View attachment 423351 BAM!!

Does my afro hair so right...

There's no denying the moisture it seals.
I thought I (and my mom and bff that I put on it) was the only one still using blue magic:look:. I was stuck without hair products about 3 years ago when I went home and my brother had this so I used it mixed with gel for my twists.... and I haven’t looked back. Softness galore.
I do the clear one with “herbs” now because it smells kinda good. But cheap Blue Magic is the bombdiggity.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
I thought I (and my mom and bff that I put on it) was the only one still using blue magic:look:. I was stuck without hair products about 3 years ago when I went home and my brother had this so I used it mixed with gel for my twists.... and I haven’t looked back. Softness galore.
I do the clear one with “herbs” now because it smells kinda good. But cheap Blue Magic is the bombdiggity.
The softness is undeniable. I have about 5 jars stocked up for the next five years! I light up when I see the blue stuff.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Remembered hit:

DevaCurl Decadence One Condition as a multi-use product

While I feel it is overpriced, I forgot how high-utility and good this stuff is on my hair.

It works as a coil definer, rinse out, leave in, and a deep conditioner.

It's the perfect, moisturizing leave in for me to use under gel because for me it doesn't interfere with the gel's holding power. Most other products do on my hair.

I'm going to try a particular Curls Origin DC because it's ingredients are quite different from my usual DC, but otherwise I'm considering relying on DevaCurl Decadence One Condition as my DC. I'll see.

Hair currently feels excellent.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Tentative hit

• Dark and Lovely Damage Slayer.
Uh, I have the best blowout of my life. And, I suck at blowing my hair out. It has to be because I used all three of these steps.

The treatment rinsed out soft. The shampoo was creamy but I used too much so it felt slightly squeaky and the conditioner was okay. I didn’t jump for hoops or anything but after letting my leave in dry and then the HEAT hit my strands!!!! Lawd. It looks flat ironed. It doesn’t swang or anything but it’s light and airy.

I’ll be back in 6 weeks after I try it again.

I suck at pictures but look, I’m cheesing. 35B8B694-5200-47A1-A3B0-9519E210C705.jpeg

nerdography

Hits:
Maui Moisture Curl Quench Conditioner
Maui Moisture Nourish and Moisture Weightless Oil Mist
SheaMoisture Mankua Honey and Mafura Oil Deep Conditioner

Miss:
DevaCurl No Poo

Unsure:
DevaCurl Styling Cream

ETA// I'm going to save DevaCurl Styling Cream is a hit. It's Thursday and my curls are still defined with a minimal amount of frizz.

Last edited:

gorgeoushair

Hits:
Soultanicals Curl Nutricious (the original version)- I forgot how good this was (even though the Marula maru was better(the original version). This left my hair moisturized for at least 5 days.

Blended Hairitage Whipped Pudding- I love this! It's a butter that has water in it(I'm assuming...unfortunately it's a sample size and it doesn't have the ingredients on it) but is still a
sealant. It's whipped and a little creamy. The company is no longer in business (actually it is but under a different name and totally revamped).

Miss:
Soultanicals Marula Maru- I loved when she first came out with this. It's was a thick cream but now it's thin. I know folks were saying it changed and heard about her consistency issues but I guess I just had to see for myself. I don't understand why she just don't stick to the original formulas. The original Marula maru gave me moisture for 5 days plus and this version gives moisture for 2 days.

Not being able to get BH Whipped Pudding or the original Marula Maru or Curl Nutricious.

Anyone know a dupe for the Marula maru?

NaturallyATLPCH

SSI Marula Hemp Hair Cream, APB Hair Creams, and Kinky Tresses Coconut Mango Butter are all good @gorgeoushair . Those have been in rotation for me for the past few months.

That's sad about the Marula Muru, I thought of revisiting it because it was good back then but based on your review and confirmation of her formula inconsistencies, nevermind.

gorgeoushair

SSI Marula Hemp Hair Cream, APB Hair Creams, and Kinky Tresses Coconut Mango Butter are all good @gorgeoushair . Those have been in rotation for me for the past few months.

That's sad about the Marula Muru, I thought of revisiting it because it was good back then but based on your review and confirmation of her formula inconsistencies, nevermind.

Thanks! I have several APB hair creams and I am not sure if I like them or not.

nymane

HUGE MISS
Alterna Caviar Repair RX Instant Recovery Shampoo - this is the most stripping shampoo I've tried in years (and it's sulfate free! ugh...)

On the Fence

Devacurl No Poo - I like the tingle it gave my scalp, but it's a bit drying on the hair. I don't hate it, but I did return it.