Felicia Leatherwood Brush

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
It’s a nice brush but I prefer the kareco tangle buster brush and the ez detangler brushes.

I have two of the EZ detangle one. They’re great on my 4b hair and my daughter’s 4c coils.

faithVA

I like the Tangle Buster. It does detangle my hair but I'm finding it doesn't get the shed hairs out.

I'm going to need to find something with teeth closer together to remove hair from these tight coils.

I'm thinking about the tangle teezer since it has teeth really close together.

Anyone have really small coils that slip through the larger teeth?

Missjaxon

I like the Tangle Buster. It does detangle my hair but I'm finding it doesn't get the shed hairs out.

I'm going to need to find something with teeth closer together to remove hair from these tight coils.

I'm thinking about the tangle teezer since it has teeth really close together.

Anyone have really small coils that slip through the larger teeth?

@faithVA

Try using it parallel to your strands or at about a 45° angle. I find most of my detangling brushes work better that way, denman included. For reference, I have high density, mostly pen spring coils and I use the Tangle Buster. HTH

water_n_oil

@faithVA

Try using it parallel to your strands or at about a 45° angle. I find most of my detangling brushes work better that way, denman included. For reference, I have high density, mostly pen spring coils and I use the Tangle Buster. HTH
I second this. I have high density hair and do the same with the FL brush. I use it perpendicular maybe half way up the section then brush parallel after that.

faithVA

@faithVA

I have used it in all directions. But my coils just curl up between the teeth and just stay lumped in my hair. I've been using it for a few weeks. I think on my wet hair the teeth are just too far apart to pull the hairs down and it just slides over them. I will try it again while I'm searching.

What I find is that the hair balls up at the ends and I'm constantly pulling big clumps of hair from the ends. But there is nada in the brush. :(

nyeredzi

I have used it in all directions. But my coils just curl up between the teeth and just stay lumped in my hair. I've been using it for a few weeks. I think on my wet hair the teeth are just too far apart to pull the hairs down and it just slides over them. I will try it again while I'm searching.

What I find is that the hair balls up at the ends and I'm constantly pulling big clumps of hair from the ends. But there is nada in the brush. :(
When you say that you are pulling big clumps of hair from the ends, do those clumps come out easily? Or are they tangled around the ends and you have to work (with your fingers) to get them off/out?

faithVA

When you say that you are pulling big clumps of hair from the ends, do those clumps come out easily? Or are they tangled around the ends and you have to work (with your fingers) to get them off/out?

They are tangled around the ends. I'm not really that gentle. They feel pretty stringy, so I just tug them until they pull loose. In the many years I've been natural, I've never had this before :lol: So this is new to me.

faithVA

I tried it again and the tangle buster worked to detangle but it's a fail for removing shed hair. I tried it at every angle and used before shampooing, with conditioner in and before styling. And I still had to pull out clumps of shed hair manually. Its like it loosens it but won't pull it out .

I bought the tangle tweezer and it is much better. The teeth are closer so hair isn't slipping through. Next wash day I will try uses the tangle buster first to remove tangles and the tangle tweezer to get out shed hair.

faithVA

OK. So I used the Tangle Buster and Tangle Teezer and what I'm noticing is that neither remove shed hairs from my head. What I think happens is when my hair sheds, it curls up and curls up to my roots. And none of those detanglers or combs really work well from pulling hair from my roots. Conditioner actually makes it worse because once my hair is smooth everything just glides over it.

The only thing that seems to work right now is to add gel and to dig my fingers into the roots and lift up to try to extract the shed hair. I am estimating that I have about a months worth of shed hair at my roots. The hair removed was quite scary.

I can use the tools for detangling but for now going to have to use my fingers for shed hair until I come up with another solution.