Finally coming out of lurkdom

macherieamour

Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself! Im a 4a/b from philadelphia and soooooo glad to have found LHCF. I will include pics soon but I have thick, long (mid-back), healthy relaxed hair and have been soo happy to learn about different products and techniques (ive been lurking for a while now :( ).

I lived in New York and went to the Dominicans for years. I must warn you guys tho. I used to get my hair roller setted and just the roots blown out until I noticed that I had breakage all around the edges of my hair from the hot blowdryers, eventhough they used emergencee on me every two weeks. And I have extremely strong hair which does not usually break off from hair styling stress.

Also, my hair was extremely dry even though they used a lot of Dominican conditioners. It was really disappointing becuase I used to go to Olives in Boston when I was in undergrad and my hair was soooo healthy. So, if you go to a salon, just make sure you go to a good salon.

Or try doing your hair yourself. When I moved to philadelphia, I had a tough time finding salons that roller setted at all. So, I bit the bullet and bought some magnectic rollers and a 30$ dryer and started to roller set my hair myself. First time, It took 1 1/2 hours to set it but Im getting better and my hair is shiny, healthy and growing! It may sound like a pain but I have saved sooo much money ( and Im the biggest PJ of the all- will show you guys pics of my closet too :ohwell: ) And now Im not enslaved to the saturday morning salon routine. I can do my hair at midnight or before I go out on a date- its great!

PrettyBrownEyes

Welcome! :)

Do you have any favorite setting products that you use to rollerset your hair? Please share. I'm always interested in perfecting my rollersetting.

Also, do you have any hair pics?

macherieamour

Hey guys!! You all are so sweet and welcoming! I will post pics tonight along with my regime. I use a miniscule amount of setting lotion and keep my hair drenched while setting. Takes longer to dry but my hair is unbelievable soft and moisturized this way.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Welcome, and where did you find a hooded dryer for $30, looking for a new one since this morning. by the way does it have a timer on it? and brand.

NewYorkgyrl

Welcome!

I just recently loved to Philly as well from NEW YORK! (doin' the grad school thing). I know that this forum will be very informative with LOTS of information and the ladies here are very supportive.

macherieamour

Really.. thanks again guys for being so welcoming. Who says women cant get along??? I think I have a Gold n hot dryer. It works well but I do have to put a bunch of books under it and it does take me 2 hours. Im feenin' for the Pibbs 514. Its 300 buck tho :mad:

angellazette