Finally figured out why my hair was coming out!

Tru_Mind

All on my own...no doctor would help me.

I hope that this info can help someone esle.

I would always complain about my hair coming out in globs, and having short hairs in the crown area that never would grow. Now I know why. Finally!!! It was because my hair was coming out from the roots, and the short hair was hair growing back in. Since this continued to happen I've always had those short hairs. It always felt like new growth...but it was really short hairs.

I received my test results from the lab on Monday. I have hypothyroidism type 2, and adrenal fatigue/exhaustion.

Most people have both at the same time, because when one is not working well enough the other isn't either. That's why some of the symptoms are exactly the same.

Type 2 Hypothyroidism:

is defined as peripheral/tissue resistance to thyroid hormones at the cellular level. It is not due to a lack of adequate thyroid hormones. Normal amounts of thyroid hormones and thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) are detected by the blood tests; therefore, blood tests do not detect Type 2 hypothyroidism.

I had to order my tests from ZRT Laboratory
I ordered the saliva and blood spot combonation to test the adrenals and thyroid.

Type 2 Hypothyroidism Symptoms:

Fatigue
Weakness
Weight gain or increased difficulty losing weight
Coarse, dry hair
Dry, rough pale skin
Hair loss
Cold intolerance (can't tolerate the cold like those around you)
Muscle cramps and frequent muscle aches
Constipation
Depression
Irritability
Memory loss
Abnormal menstrual cycles
Decreased libido

Some Causes of Type 2 Hypothyroidism:

environmental toxins
adrenal fatigue
chemicals
candida yeast overgrowth
...and the same causes of adrenal fatigue

Adrenal Fatigue:
Adrenal Fatigue is a collection of signs and symptoms, known as a "syndrome", that results when the adrenal glands function below the necessary level. Most commonly associated with intense or prolonged stress, it can also arise during or after acute or chronic infections, especially respiratory infections such as influenza, bronchitis or pneumonia. As the name suggests, its paramount symptom is fatigue that is not relieved by sleep but it is not a readily identifiable entity like measles or a growth on the end of your finger. You may look and act relatively normal with Adrenal Fatigue and may not have any obvious signs of physical illness, yet you live with a general sense of unwellness, tiredness or "gray" feelings. People suffering from Adrenal Fatigue often have to use coffee, colas and other stimulants to get going in the morning and to prop themselves up during the day.

Adrenal Fatigue Symptoms:

excessive fatigue and exhaustion
non-refreshing sleep (you get sufficient hours of sleep, but wake fatigued)
overwhelmed by or unable to cope with stressors
feeling rundown or overwhelmed
craving salty and sweet foods
you feel most energetic in the evening
a feeling of not being restored after a full night's sleep or having sleep disturbances
low stamina, slow to recover from exercise
slow to recover from injury, illness or stress
difficulty concentrating, brain fog
poor digestion
low immune function
food or environmental allergies
premenstrual syndrome or difficulties that develop during menopause
consistent low blood pressure
extreme sensitivity to cold

Stressors That Cause Adrenal Fatigue:

Physical trauma
Excess exercise
Emotinal trauma
Pregnacy
Candida yeast overgrowth (caused my antibiotics)
Chemical toxins
Lack of sleep
Anxiety, depression
Poor diet
Infections
Prescription drugs

I read a medical record that stated that a patient devolped adrenal fatigue after using a prescribed anti-wrinkle cream. I also read hair shampoo caused one man to developed adrenal fatigue.

We have to watch what we put on our skin.

I read something about minoxidil too. Basically...especially for women if what ever is in minoxidil is not what you are lacking...then you should not be taking it. If you don't know what you're lacking then you should not be taking it...because you can unknowingly give yourself too much.

Hair loss does not always occur because you are lacking something...it may be because you have too much of something.

So, all of these facial creams with estrogen...leave it alone if you are not lacking estrogen.

I know that it's going to be a huge struggle for me to finally get well. Ladies, you can not imagine what doctors put me through. They kept telling me that I was fine and putting me on anti-depressants. Anti-depressants always made thing worst for me. I read that people with this illness should not take anti-depressants.

Ladies, no doctor help me figure out my illness I had to do my own research...and when finally figure out what I had I brought it to the attention and they all said that there is no sush thing. Yet, they are books and articles on it. Through my experience I have learned that most doctors do not want to be taught my their patients. If they haven't heard about it then it does not exist.

What I have is not new it's very old. It's just that the medical community feel that they already have it covered. Yet, they don't even know how to test for it. It is not even taught in medical school...they feel that other illness are adrenal fatigue or type 2 hypothyroidisim, so the treated the other illnesses. That's not fixing the problem.

For too many years my symptoms were treated and not the problem. I was even given an inhaler...but I knew that I never had asthma.

Doctors need to listen to their patients. My blood pressure was 88/60 on Monday...and the doctor was not concerned...but her nurse was. It's really a shame. Doctors are continuing to put me through hell. I won't be going back to her, but I need to be prescribed medication, so I have to find someone. I can't get better without it.

I'm choosing to go the natural route...but only one med...even though it's natural it has to be prescribed.

I haven't started to take any meds yet.

Last edited:

aileenadq

What a great post!! At least you know, now, the cause of your hair loss and other symptoms. Remember that treating a thyroid disorder can take some time to be effective, and to even find the proper treatment and amount of treatment. Have patience!

I suffer from an overgrown thyroid myself, and I know how it is. I hope you feel healthy again- and soon. Not just for your hair growth, but in general.

Aileen

CAPlush

Wow! Congrats for taking charge of your own body. And I agree with you on the doctors not knowing jack about the endocrine system. I have some type of problem, with several symptoms. My doctor understands that something is wrong, but does not know what because every blood test shows something is borderline low or borderline high, and there is no box on that thyroid grid that includes my results. I take blood tests ever 3-6 months, waiting for something to go out of wack:(

Good luck finding a good doctor, and if you don't a qualified nurse practitioner will probably listen more carefully to your concerns.

Tru_Mind

CAPlush said:
Wow! Congrats for taking charge of your own body. And I agree with you on the doctors not knowing jack about the endocrine system. I have some type of problem, with several symptoms. My doctor understands that something is wrong, but does not know what because every blood test shows something is borderline low or borderline high, and there is no box on that thyroid grid that includes my results. I take blood tests ever 3-6 months, waiting for something to go out of wack:(

Good luck finding a good doctor, and if you don't a qualified nurse practitioner will probably listen more carefully to your concerns.

Thanks! You should order from http://www.zrtlab.com/

I had to. ZRT tests are more sophisticated...and they are home test. Very professional company...and the test are more accurate. Also, I read that harmones don't last in the tube of blood. So, by the time a tech test your levels your levels will be different. ZRT uses saliva, and blood spot test. They test for hormones in tissues...and blood. Doctors only test the blood.

Royal Glory

Great post, Tru Mind.

It's good that you are taking control of your body and managing your condition and symptoms, yourself. We all have to. Doctors are not bad. They just don't know it all. And sometimes they can be quick to over prescribe and are not always open to trying alternative treatments.

I wish you well as you recover and learn to manage your health!

Tru_Mind

aileenadq said:
What a great post!! At least you know, now, the cause of your hair loss and other symptoms. Remember that treating a thyroid disorder can take some time to be effective, and to even find the proper treatment and amount of treatment. Have patience!

I suffer from an overgrown thyroid myself, and I know how it is. I hope you feel healthy again- and soon. Not just for your hair growth, but in general.

Aileen

Thanks...I hope that I could help someone. My hair problem is what brought me here...I'm sure that I'm not alone.

Aileen, are you hyperthyroid? If so, that's the type that doctors do test for. Regardless, like CAPlush said "doctors don't know jack about the endocrine system." From my experience they don't even want to learn. I was trying to give my internist some of my research, and she tried to give it back to me because she said that she is not and endocrinologist. I told her that I'm not either.

Can you believe that doctors only take 4 credit hours on the endo system? I don't know about endo...but I'm sure that they take a little bit more. That's like one lecture and a lab. That's sad. Most diseases are caused by harmone enbalances, cancer, diabetes, etc. I didn't know that until I did research.

Tru_Mind

Royal Glory said:
Great post, Tru Mind.

It's good that you are taking control of your body and managing your condition and symptoms, yourself. We all have to. Doctors are not bad. They just don't know it all. And sometimes they can be quick to over prescribe and are not always open to trying alternative treatments.

I wish you well as you recover and learn to manage your health!

Thanks! I'm at the point where I screaming that doctors don't know it everything. Doctors only listen to other doctors...not their patients. Well...some doctors listen. I wish that I could find one.

tnorenberg

tru_mind said:
Thanks...I hope that I could help someone. My hair problem is what brought me here...I'm sure that I'm not alone.

Aileen, are you hyperthyroid? If so, that's the type that doctors do test for. Regardless, like CAPlush said "doctors don't know jack about the endocrine system." From my experience they don't even want to learn. I was trying to give my internist some of my research, and she tried to give it back to me because she said that she is not and endocrinologist. I told her that I'm not either.

Can you believe that doctors only take 4 credit hours on the endo system? I don't know about endo...but I'm sure that they take a little bit more. That's like one lecture and a lab. That's sad. Most diseases are caused by harmone enbalances, cancer, diabetes, etc. I didn't know that until I did research.
I am glad you took your own health destiny into your own hands. We, especially women, know our body better than anyone. I spent about 4 years in the Pharma industry and know first hand what a scam of a business Dr.'s and the pharma companies are in. Dr.'s are not in the business of curing ailments, just masking the symptoms with prescriptions that cause more symptoms that keep you coming back. Everything we need to cure our own bodies God gave us in the form of different foods and herbs that have been used with consistent results in other countries. Our country thrives on the allmighty dollar. And all you are as a patient unfortunately is a walking ATM machine, not a human being in need of help.

Tru_Mind

tnorenberg said:
I am glad you took your own health destiny into your own hands. We, especially women, know our body better than anyone. I spent about 4 years in the Pharma industry and know first hand what a scam of a business Dr.'s and the pharma companies are in. Dr.'s are not in the business of curing ailments, just masking the symptoms with prescriptions that cause more symptoms that keep you coming back. Everything we need to cure our own bodies God gave us in the form of different foods and herbs that have been used with consistent results in other countries. Our country thrives on the allmighty dollar. And all you are as a patient unfortunately is a walking ATM machine, not a human being in need of help.

I'm soooo glad that you brought this up. My uncle is a rep...so I do know what it's about. Yep, it's about who and what product makes the most money. Reps tells the doctors what to use and how to use it. Reps don't have to have any medical education. That's sad...and it makes me angry.

My uncle went to school for engineering...and now he's telling doctors how to treat their patients. He was on the phone with a doctor a while ago and the doctor was asking him questions. I heard him say "if the patient is bleeding don't give it to them." Umm...who's the doctor?

Ohhh...and I also heard him say that a doctor promised to write perscriptions of the med that he is pushing.

My uncle wins pharma awards often...trips and all.

Does doctors get paid by these compaines? If so, I'm sure the more prescriptions they write the more money they get...and of course the companies make a lot more.

I read that insurance companies and pharma companies is one reason why doctors don't know, and don't learn about adrenal fatigue. Adrenal fatigue can only be cured with natural products...since pharma companies can't market natural products like vitamin c, etc then illnesses that's only treated naturally are forgotten about.

Natural products allows our bodies to heal on it own...naturally. Although, I am aware that some naturally products are horrible, and that some products that are advertised as natural sometimes are not natural.

blackbarbie

Tru,
I am so glad you were able to take charge of your own health and not give up no matter what the docs were telling you.

I have suffered from both diseases for almost 30 years ago when I was initially diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. It started off with an underactive (but very enlarged) thyroid that had to be removed when I was only 7. I have had to take a pill a day (synthroid) since then. At some points, the medication would be too strong, which would lead to hyperthyroidism.

Most recently I went on a hiatus from taking my medicine again (waiting on insurance from new job to kick in) and immediately realized when the symptoms were kicking in and knew I needed to get back on them.....(shedding hair, low tolerance to cold, severe headaches, digestive problems, constipation, fatigue, dry and scaly skin, insomnia, etc.)......When I went to the doctor to tell the doctor that I just needed to be re-tested to get my T4 levels regulated and that I had hyperthyroidism (I started telling her the symptoms), she looked at me and joked “Oh here’s another patient coming in here trying to do my job b/c they have discovered Web-MD”. (the web-site that give you diagnosis for many diseases based on symptoms you identify) I told her I knew exactly what I had b/c I had suffered with it for almost 30 years and had already been diagnosed but just had stopped taking my meds for a minute. Then she got this :eek: look on her face.

Co-signing with what you said, it goes to show that yes, docs do know a lot, but they don’t know everything. (I would be very interested in the prescription all natural medicine you mentioned for this disease.)

Tru_Mind

blackbarbie said:
Tru,
I am so glad you were able to take charge of your own health and not give up no matter what the docs were telling you.

I have suffered from both diseases for almost 30 years ago when I was initially diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. It started off with an underactive (but very enlarged) thyroid that had to be removed when I was only 7. I have had to take a pill a day (synthroid) since then. At some points, the medication would be too strong, which would lead to hyperthyroidism.

Most recently I went on a hiatus from taking my medicine again (waiting on insurance from new job to kick in) and immediately realized when the symptoms were kicking in and knew I needed to get back on them.....(shedding hair, low tolerance to cold, severe headaches, digestive problems, constipation, fatigue, dry and scaly skin, insomnia, etc.)......When I went to the doctor to tell the doctor that I just needed to be re-tested to get my T4 levels regulated and that I had hyperthyroidism (I started telling her the symptoms), she looked at me and joked “Oh here’s another patient coming in here trying to do my job b/c they have discovered Web-MD”. (the web-site that give you diagnosis for many diseases based on symptoms you identify) I told her I knew exactly what I had b/c I had suffered with it for almost 30 years and had already been diagnosed but just had stopped taking my meds for a minute. Then she got this :eek: look on her face.

Co-signing with what you said, it goes to show that yes, docs do know a lot, but they don’t know everything. (I would be very interested in the prescription all natural medicine you mentioned for this disease.)

Armour is a desiccated thyroid it's a thyroid hormone derived from pigs' thyroids in pill form. It contains both of the main thyroid hormones T4 and T3, and probably the lesser-known hormones T2 and T1. (T2 and T1 aren't measured in desiccated thyroid, but they were in the pigs' thyroids, and they aren't removed.) Its use began in the late 1800s and has continued to the present.

In every book that I've read the author said that desiccated is better than synthetic. Once patients find out about it they want to switch. I also read that patients don't go from hypo to hyper thyroid while taking desiccated, because it naturally helps your thyroid to balance itself out.

http://www.armourthyroid.com/

Last edited:

Cichelle

Tru,

G-d bless you and thank you so much for posting this. I have wanted a hormone test (saliva) but haven't known a good place to have it done. It's wonderful that you have been your own advocate. Blessings to you for health and well being. :Rose:

blackbarbie

Thanks! I will check that link out.....

BB

tru_mind said:
Armour is a desiccated thyroid it's a thyroid hormone derived from pigs' thyroids in pill form. It contains both of the main thyroid hormones T4 and T3, and probably the lesser-known hormones T2 and T1. (T2 and T1 aren't measured in desiccated thyroid, but they were in the pigs' thyroids, and they aren't removed.) Its use began in the late 1800s and has continued to the present.

In every book that I've read the author said that desiccated is better than synthetic. Once patients find out about it they want to switch. I also read that patients don't go from hypo to hyper thyroid while taking desiccated, because it naturally helps your thyroid to balance itself out.

http://www.armourthyroid.com/

gymfreak336

Thank you for this post. My mom showed me an article on adrenal fatigue b/c she noticed that I had some of the symptoms. I need to get tested. Thanks again girl.

Tru_Mind

blackbarbie said:
Thanks! I will check that link out.....

BB

BB, also there's over the counter thyroid glandular. I thought that since you were already being prescribed thyroid meds you would feel safer using a desiccated thyroid med that is prescribed.

If I can locate a recommened over the counter thyroid glandular I will try it, because the books and online sites are recommending it to people with type 2 hypothyroidism(tissue resistance to thyroid hormones). I have more than enough thyroid hormones in my blood, but it's not getting to my tissues for whatever reason. That's why every single blood test that I took to test my thyroid was better than normal.

If I could only find a doctor that would monitor me with desiccated then I have take desiccated. That's ok...because desiccated is better than synthetic.

Last edited:

Tru_Mind

Cichelle said:
Tru,

G-d bless you and thank you so much for posting this. I have wanted a hormone test (saliva) but haven't known a good place to have it done. It's wonderful that you have been your own advocate. Blessings to you for health and well being. :Rose:

You're welcomed. ZRT is very professional. I was shocked when the kit arrived to my home. The directions were simple...and the tests are too. You can call for help if you get confused.

Also, there are numbers that you can call that will guide you if you decide to test after hours. It's automated but you are told step by step.

Also, you can fill out an insurance form and have your insurance billed.

Tru_Mind

balisi said:
Good for you, tru! Thanks for sharing this!

Hey balisi!

I ordered a book online that talks about hormones and hair (shedding, balding, alopecia, etc). I don't have it yet, so I can't tell you if it's a good read or not...but I'll let you know.

You can probably help your clients that are experiencing shedding, male pattern balding, alopecia, dry itchy scalp, etc. Even a small hormonal imbalance can cause problems...even in children/teens (boy and girls). People don't expect children/teens to have hormonal problems, but puberty can be hard for some.

Doctors should suspect hormonal imbalances in everyone including children. Today, we eat food that has been injected with hormones, we live in pollution, and we unknowingly put toxic chemicals on our skin.

What makes it worst is that doctors don't major signs. In females, heavy menstrual cycles and leg cramping is a major sign. Some naturally grow out of it, but some don't. Doctors are known to give teens.....and women birth control pills when they are having a heavy cycle, and leg cramping etc. That’s a big no no for someone with a hormonal problem! Maybe they have too much estrogen all ready...or some kind of hormone dominance.

I find it sickening that doctors don't have to test a female hormones before he/she prescribed birth control pills. It's really sad, because things could get worst. Most women continue to take the pill regardless of new/worst symptoms, because they still think that the pill is helping. Some women wonder why they become infertile…well being on the pill and already having too much estrogen is one. Estrogen dominance has to be fixed, it can lead to major health problems in the future. Any hormonal imbalance can lead to major health problems in the future.

It amazes me why doctors still wonder why people get cancer and diabetes (both hormonal diseases). If doctors will learn more about hormones many people in the future won't have to deal with cancer or diabetes.

Last edited:

2cute2B4gotten

Tru Mind, this is excellent information and I am so glad that you posted it. I found out about 3 years ago that I have problems with my thyroid. My doctor sent me to an endocrinologist and he was of no help. I have been dealing with health issues that I am convinced are directly linked to my underactive thyroid. I really appreciate this post and will send you a PM if I have any other questions. Be blessed. :)

Tru_Mind

2cute2B4gotten said:
Tru Mind, this is excellent information and I am so glad that you posted it. I found out about 3 years ago that I have problems with my thyroid. My doctor sent me to an endocrinologist and he was of no help. I have been dealing with health issues that I am convinced are directly linked to my underactive thyroid. I really appreciate this post and will send you a PM if I have any other questions. Be blessed. :)

No problem...I don't mind talking about it.

Tru_Mind

Also, I forgot to mention that if doctors are giving you trouble you might want to see a naturopatic doctor along with your primary care physican or endocrinologist. This way your can be feed the info that you medical doctor either don't know or is not telling you, because he/she feels that you don't need to know.

It would be even better if you can find a medical doctor that has naturopatic licence. Look for N.P.(naturopatic physician)...or N.D.(naturopatic doctor) at the end of their name along with M.D.(medical doctor).

You can also find...for example Marcelle Pick, OB/GYN, N.P.

Naturopathic physicians are trained in the art and science of natural healthcare at accredited medical colleges. Integrative partnerships between conventional medical doctors and licensed NDs are becoming more available. This cooperation makes more effective therapies available to consumers. It increases patient satisfaction in their relationships with their care providers. More people are recovering their health by adding naturopathic medicine to their health care options.

Naturopathic physicians are guided in their treatment decisions by the idea that it is the nature of all things to return to balance; it is the nature of organisms- plants, animals, people- to heal. The naturopathic physician understands illness as a series of events that can be changed, or redirected toward order and balance, with help.

Last edited:

adora721

Tru Mind,

Thanks for bringing this issue up!

I've been struggling with symptoms for at least four years now and it was only a few months ago that I finally figured out the problem on my own, just like you. I would fix one problem, such as my insomnia, only to be left with another like muscle fatigue. No doctor was willing to listen to me; they actually thought my low blood pressure wasn't a concern.

I finally found three great books and have been following their advice since Feb. '08 and have made it 90% back to normal! One of the best things I learned was to put about a little bit of unrefined sea salt in my drinking water. When you have adrenal fatigue, you're body doesn't hold onto to sodium and since I have low blood pressure, it isn't a problem for me. The other great find was whole licorice root, not DGL. I order the herb from Mountain Rose herbs and make a tea daily. Whole licorice supports the adrenal glands and gave me the energy I needed just to function.

The other 10% is trying to lose the extra 25 pounds this disorder put on me. I work out every day for an hour, including weights, and eat lots of fruits and veggies, but the scale and inches were not budging. I decided to reread the books to see if I missed something. Sure enough, they mention taking a high potency multiple that provides more than the RDA without exceeding toxic levels. Additionally, they mention taking a lipotropic or other liver support multiple. I just started doing this part this week, so hopefully, I'll see some weight loss to accompany my renewed energy.

I keep hoping Oprah or someone will do a show on this problem, especially because the medical establishment only recognizes Addison's disease, but not adrenal fatigue or adrenal exhaustion as real disorders.

If anyone has this, listen to your own voice and check out these books. They have been a blessing from God.

"The Cortisol Connection" by Shawn Talbott
"Feeling fat, fuzzy, or frazzled?" by Richard Shames and Karilee Shames
"Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome" by James L. Wilson