Fine hair ladies natural or relaxed/telaxed who shampoo in braids/twists

almond eyes

When I went to get my hair coloured in June, everything turned out reasonably well however, I was a bit apprehensive about the shampoo/condition process. When I wash on my own in the shower I usually keep my hair braided when I shampoo or condition to prevent strong water pressure and tangles. I must admit when I went for the colour I did lose a few strands because my hair was shampooed/conditioned loose.

So for those women who have fine textured hair and shampoo/condition in braids and twists how do you handle the hair salons especially since hair is washed in the sink? And as your hair gets longer do you think you have to be a little dilligent with the technique used on your hair in the salon? Has anyone ever demanded that their shampoo person wash their hair in braids or not tangle up their hair in the sink to wash? Or is this too diva?

Best,
Almond Eyes

Last edited:

Nonie

I wash my own hair and don't do salons anymore so that's no a problem for me.

If you're natural and go to salons, why not wash your hair before going? I know when I used to get my hair braided, I'd make sure I went to the salon having done all the prep necessary so all they had to do was braid.

Nonie

Nonie, suppose one is getting a colour treatment?

Best,
Almond Eyes

:scratchch Hmm... Did you have to ask a toughie? :rolleyes:

OK, this is why I think that one of y'all LHCFers needs to open a shop in every corner to help folks out. Shame on y'all color experts leaving Almond Eyes at the mercy of amateurs. :angry:

Almond Eyes, I imagine f you're getting color, braiding may affect how the color coats the hair uniformly or cause concentrations in different parts so it's not uniform. :perplexed

What I think would work in this case is if you can do the initial wash so go there with clean hair, then they have less washing to do. A wide tooth comb and lots of slip from product can make combing easy. If it's someone used to say 4B hair (hence the reason I'm mad at all y'all that you won't volunteer to be at the salon to wash AE's hair), then they will know that stretching your hair before passing the comb through makes combing easy, since the kinks are held straight. Also working on small sections at a time.

Before my press in April, I found myself with my hair all out. I used a fine-tooth comb to make sure my hair was fully combed. I worked on small sections at a time. By the time I was done, my hair was fully detangled. It looked like this:

...but trust me, when wet, a comb could glide through it with ease.

I think if I found myself in a position where I worried about hair loss from rough handling, say during the wash, I'd fake pain and basically scare the stylist with my screams so she'd let me comb it myself. :lol: If you were doing it yourself, you'd find you can do it like this without ripping hair, even without the stretch out hair first step. Kinda like how I'm doing it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCcoXph8tF4

Last edited:

almond eyes

Nonie, I figured that this would be a toughie. By the way, love your hair reminds me a bit of my hair with the shrinkage.

It makes me really want to go back to my natural hair colour because I prefer to wash my own hair.

The colouring part is quite simple because the colour is not being combed through, it's only applied on the roots so as you said you can't colour in braids. The part that becomes tricky is the shampoo/conditioner process because then the colour has to be washed out with the hair loose. At Aveda they are gentle with the shampoo/conditioner but my hair cannot be shampooed loose. That is so funny with the fake screams. But I guess I have to be adamant with the technique and be proactive.

Oh the price of beauty!!!!!!!!

Best,
Almond Eyes

Attachments

• Another SL shot 2009 October.jpg
    Another SL shot 2009 October.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

AfroKink

I've gotten my hair highlighted at Aveda twice. Both times I left with a shrunken afro. :look: I normally wash my hair in twists to avoid tangles. I use henna at home now. I don't know what a solution your problem would be, but I understand what you're getting at. hmm...