Fine haired women- Will you ever have thick ends?

abcd09

I've pretty much come to the point that I will never have thick, healthy ends. They split as soon as I trim, and will "ball" up at the end, causing snapping in some areas. My hair did this natural and relaxed.

I'm really tired of this but don't want to give up. It always looks messy even though I just have trimmed it even ( goes back to splits in a day)

Any fine haired, split ended women finally reach a goal of having thick, healthy ends?

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Yes. I now keep my hair fairly blunt and that seems to help. i somehow think it's easier to moisturize the ends of blunt hair.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Fine haired women need more protein in their hair diet because they dont have a medulla.

Have you tried looking for a mild protein that you can use every week.

A good one that is a combination or strength and moisture that does not need a DC after is Millcreek Biotin or Joico reconstructing conditoner this one should only be left on for 1 minute, check the directions if you decide to purchase

Dak

Yes, it is possible! Finding someone that cuts wells makes all the difference. It took me a year to get my ends evened up, (I didn't want to do it all at once), it is possible.

Honey Bee

Yes, it is possible! Finding someone that cuts wells makes all the difference. It took me a year to get my ends evened up, (I didn't want to do it all at once), it is possible.
I'm trying, girl.

I don't get splits as much anymore since I started my hhj, but, yeah, my hair just pops off in some places, especially the nape. It's holding me back from reaching hair goals, and y'all know, that is a problem. I kinda don't know what to do anymore, cuz it seems like I just can't get past APL. Every time I get there, I end up needing to cut it back. It's sad. I used to use the Aphogee 2 min twice and week and henna twice a month, but I eased up thinking I was doing too much with the protein. I guess I need to start back up for the new year.

Fine haired women need more protein in their hair diet because they dont have a medulla.

Have you tried looking for a mild protein that you can use every week.

A good one that is a combination or strength and moisture that does not need a DC after is Millcreek Biotin or Joico reconstructing conditoner this one should only be left on for 1 minute, check the directions if you decide to purchase
This wouldn't be true for normal fine hair lol. I think you're thinking of vellus hair which isn't usually on your head.

Anyway, I have fine, weightless hair and I do struggle with skinny ends. A blunt cut REALLLY helps. It took me years before I got the nerve to blunt cut because I didn't want to go shorter but I did one a few months ago and my hair has been nicely even ever since.

I'm trying, girl.

I don't get splits as much anymore since I started my hhj, but, yeah, my hair just pops off in some places, especially the nape. It's holding me back from reaching hair goals, and y'all know, that is a problem. I kinda don't know what to do anymore, cuz it seems like I just can't get past APL. Every time I get there, I end up needing to cut it back. It's sad. I used to use the Aphogee 2 min twice and week and henna twice a month, but I eased up thinking I was doing too much with the protein. I guess I need to start back up for the new year.

Same here except for me it's a little past midback that ends it for me. Once I get past it my hair gets all jagged and super skinny looking. I HATE that look :(. I think it's mainly because I flat iron every single week. I know I'm ruining it but I keep going because I haven't made peace with my curls yet. I need to lay off the Sedu and I believe if I did that I'd probably be at a thick waist length in 10 months or so ( I'm about midback now and I have a really long torso).. Now I feel like crying because I wish I could do it.:sad:

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
yes. i struggle with this too.

i find that hiding my ends most of the time. cutting back on my chemical usage (touch ups twice a year instead of 4-5times). roller setting helps too. also, i rarely use heat because my hair is not having it.

i have to start with a blunt cut though.....no matter what i do, my ends are still thin. i could hide my hair for 6 months and my ends will still be thin when i take it down.

i have decided that "thin" isn't necessarily "unhealthy".

i tried a ceramide product my Loreal call Everstrong Bio Ceramide leav in overnight treatment that seems to help prolong the health of my ends.

hth

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
This wouldn't be true for normal fine hair lol. I think you're thinking of vellus hair which isn't usually on your head.

Anyway, I have fine, weightless hair and I do struggle with skinny ends. A blunt cut REALLLY helps. It took me years before I got the nerve to blunt cut because I didn't want to go shorter but I did one a few months ago and my hair has been nicely even ever since.

No, I was referring to the hair on the head. From what I have read most people that have fine hair do not have a medulla, so they need more protein in their hair diet.

Dak

I'm trying, girl.

My nape area used to be my problem spot too. I used to have a inverted "V" there from breakage. For me, I discovered that wearing my hair in a ponytail, especially in the summer, & sweating, would cause that hair there to frizz & then break off when I detangled. Finding a different style really helped.

BERlin

I'm not too sure thick ends are in my future either. I just recently noticed that I have three or four fairy knots on a strand in my nape, and my crown is very frizzy and wiry. I've just started Cassia, and it helps my crown for a couple of days, but I may have to bump up to henna. I had problems with my ends (splitting) when I was relaxed too... Trimming seems to be a little pointless because I don't think brittle ends are something that I guess should be prevented instead of cured... I just gotta figure out how to prevent them.

freecurl

I got a blunt cut a month ago, and it really did look as though I had thicker hair. Even my family commented that it looked as though I had thicker ends.
However, as you know with fine hair, if you're not careful with your hair, it can snap and break in a minute. It also tangles more which leads to more SSKs then subsequent splits. If I'm not treating my hair as fine silk at all times, I'm in jeopardy of losing subsequent inches on trim day.
If it wasn't for my fine hair, I think I would have retained more length then I have.:nono:

mzsophisticated26

It seemed that my ends looked thick and so much better when I reached SL, now that I am past SL they are getting thin. In addition I am a slow grower so if i continue to trim blunt to keep nice ends then I will stay at .50 away from APL. I looked at my fotki pics the other day and noticed it. I just brought some Jamila Henna to test out and I think I am gonna do that twice a month

kizzylonghair

I had this sam question...I am 4 AAAAAAaaa
This is the second time around for Hair Journey wise, I remember that my hair got a lot thicker, more than I ever thought was possible.
For me it is stretching my relaxer, or not relaxing bone straight, plastering my previous relaxed ends with AFFIRM preservo & vaseline.
When its not broken down as much and as often it keeps its thickness.
I love me some henna to, it works
HTH

kryolnapps

I have fine, very coily cottony type hair. My hair appears thick sometimes because it is tightly coiled and densely packed, but it is not thick at all.

The longer my hair gets (and I do want long hair, lol), the more my ends get thin. Twists-out are not looking as nice anymore. I just straighten my hair for the first time since going natural 5 years ago and yep, it is the same thin, airy hair like it was when I relaxed, except it is much longer. I clipped my ends and it did appear thicker.

I am now on a quest to thicken my strands with either protein (my hair loves protein, but I have been neglecting this step since I have to DC after, it is time consuming) or henna (also time consuming).

beana

Trimming always gave me the appearance of thicker hair. I used to have fine strands and thick density, now i have fine strands and fine-medium density and Im not enjoying it at all.

I plan to incorporate henna, scalp massages, exercising and protective styling into my regimen this year.

abcd09

So I'm hearing henna is good, but it sounds like a harsh protein that will dry hair out even more?

darlingdiva

I have fine, very coily cottony type hair. My hair appears thick sometimes because it is tightly coiled and densely packed, but it is not thick at all.

The longer my hair gets (and I do want long hair, lol), the more my ends get thin. Twists-out are not looking as nice anymore. I just straighten my hair for the first time since going natural 5 years ago and yep, it is the same thin, airy hair like it was when I relaxed, except it is much longer. I clipped my ends and it did appear thicker.

I am now on a quest to thicken my strands with either protein (my hair loves protein, but I have been neglecting this step since I have to DC after, it is time consuming) or henna (also time consuming).

You have just described my hair. I also have the type of hair that splits if I look at it wrong. Some of the problem was caused by me. I used to pin up my twistouts without moisturizing and sealing my ends:nono::nono::nono:. Now I know that my ends must be moisturized and sealed nightly. Also, I need better trimming shears because Conair is not doing it for me anymore.

I also make sure that protein is a constant part of my routine.

Nonie

As I've posted before (with pics), when I'm dusting every 6-8 weeks, my hair stays thick from base to ends. I do have fine strands but they seem to have the same fullness at the ends as they do at the base if I'm dusting on a regular schedule--and that was without me using any leave-in moisturizer to further protect my strands nor wearing them in protective styles!

Artemis

If you are not taking B5, start now. Continue to trim those splits, something in your regimen and diet aren't working for you, OP. Great advice in this thread :yep:

Edit: Also, who is trimming you? Those shears might be splitting your ends. Get new ones.

ceebee3

Hey There!!:wave:

Where have you and Gym been hiding?

If you are not taking B5, start now. Continue to trim those splits, something in your regimen and diet aren't working for you, OP. Great advice in this thread :yep:

Edit: Also, who is trimming you? Those shears might be splitting your ends. Get new ones.

abcd09

As I've posted before (with pics), when I'm dusting every 6-8 weeks, my hair stays thick from base to ends. I do have fine strands but they seem to have the same fullness at the ends as they do at the base if I'm dusting on a regular schedule--and that was without me using any leave-in moisturizer to further protect my strands nor wearing them in protective styles!
Ah, we must have different hair types, because a blunt cut and dusting isn't doing anything for me. :nono:

Artemis said:
If you are not taking B5, start now. Continue to trim those splits, something in your regimen and diet aren't working for you, OP. Great advice in this thread

B5 the vitamin? I have a B Complex vitamin I take every now and then. Have you noticed a difference with this? I've been trimming myself for the past 8 months, buy new scissors every few months from Sally's. I'm thinking that maybe my "satin" pillowcase isn't so satiny any more.

cutiepiebabygirl

I have fine hair...but it is really dense. I trim every 6 months....but I started my journey out with a blunt cut..and I have had one major cut since then.

So my maintainence cuts have really helped keep the even look. I don't use protein, because my hair hates it !! I co-wash regularly and keep my hair in preotectives styles, relax every 3 months.

Last edited:

Nonie

Ah, we must have different hair types, because a blunt cut and dusting isn't doing anything for me. :nono:

How often do you dust and how much do you take off?

If you wait too long, you'll have thin ends.

If you clip too much, you will never seem to gain length.

I also don't know what people mean when they say "blunt cut". I think of that in people with relaxed hair or type 1 hair where the hair is cut to fall to the same level. I'm not sure how that applies to coily hair. So if you're talking about natural hair, what do you mean by blunt cut?

GeauXavi

I didn't read all of the posts... but when I was relaxed... I grew my layers out and kept a blunt cut. It was awesome. Make sure to never use a balanced protein/moisture. Hair mayonnaise always works well for me. It's the perfect balance of protein and moisture.