Finger combing- who does it?

B

Bublnbrnsuga

I might have to adopt this as my combing method. A friend of mine who's natural lost her comb,so she told me that she's been fingercombing her hair for quite some time. This is a method I forgot about, so I decided to give it one more try. I really like the way that my hair maintained its fullness after this method.

caligirl

I finger "seperate (sp?)"...basically just gently pull tangles apart or pull curls apart.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

What effects do you all notice when you do this vs combing?

luvSLave

Bublnbrnsuga said:
Aside from wash days I haven't used a comb in years.

I think I get less breakage using my fingers when my hair is dry. And when wearing my hair curly, fingercombing maintains the set better.

chocolate01

I finger comb all the time. I only use a shower comb to detangle when my hair is wet. I find that my hair doesn't break anymore and my hair has more bounce (I usually wear braidouts).

sillygurl18

I notice less breakage and when I want curl definition it works beter than the comb. I only detangle with the comb when I clarify/deep condition.

Ashee

Bublnbrnsuga said:
Far less breakage!
I realize the tension in my hair & can seperate more gently than a comb!:yep:

Divastate

I fingercomb for my curly fro look and its worked great. I've had less breakage and my style lasts for much longer too. I do still have to use a wide tooth comb to detangle once every month or so while conditioning or my coils start turning into locs though.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

luvSLave said:
Aside from wash days I haven't used a comb in years.

I think I get less breakage using my fingers when my hair is dry. And when wearing my hair curly, fingercombing maintains the set better.

This is what I have noticed:up:

lsubabiedee

i only use combs when detangling in the shower sometimes, most the the time i use my fingers....i have never used a comb on my hair outside of the shower, so i guess im a finger comber...

Victorian

old head
Lately the only way I "comb" my hair is with my fingers, mainly in the shower with conditioner in it.
When I play with my hair during the day I'm sort of detangling it too, I guess...

Xcellence2

I finger comb if my hair is straight or curly. I found when it is straight, finger combing gives my hair more bounce. Also, my mom who is an avid brush user is starting to come around to the finger comb/wide tooth comb ways. I think it helps you to retain more hair and also allows you to track shedding more closely.

Ashee said:
Far less breakage!
I realize the tension in my hair & can seperate more gently than a comb!:yep:

I agree. I do the finger combing (i prefer to call it raking) thing close to touch up time. I shed alot and doing this seems to lessen the amount that I loose.

mee too.I do it after i come out of the shower I pull my hair back into a pony tail ,squeeze out some of the water and then finger comb while still wet , then when it is completely dried some 3 hrs later i run my ingers through it again to separate the curls.

EbonyEyes

When detangling my hair from twists, I first finger comb then use a regular comb. I need to use a regular comb to get rid of shedded hairs that have accumulated during the past month.

Then when it's wash time, I only finger comb the conditioner through.

-Ebony

balisi

I started finger combing a lot during my transition. Since my BC, I find that finger combing gives my hair more dimension. I used to slick my hair back for my pony puffs and flatten it with a scarf, but now I prefer the look I get when I simply finger comb the lengths back.

Sweet_Ambrosia

I finger comb when my new growth starts piling up I dont wanna risk breakage by running a comb through thick NG, the only time I really comb is when I condition.

RabiaElaine

I'm becomming a finger comber (sort of)!

Since my hair is thin yet coarse and I'm transitioning to texlaxed...I'm trying to find ways to keep more of my hair on my head and not in a comb, brush, on my shirt, sink, etc.

I've taken steps toward this, protective styling, protein treatments, etc.

I'm now taking another step with fingercombing dry hair. I've decided I can get away with combing my hair with my Jilbere shower comb and bone combs when my hair is wet (I finger comb first, then move on to the Jilbere, etc). I don't lose much hair when I comb drenched hair gently. I've decided that the only days I'll be combing is on wash/cowash days. Other than that I'll be using my fingers.

I'm applying MN to my scalp daily, I will use the tail of my bone comb (not the teeth) to part my hair to apply MN and and use my fingers to separate the hair and do everything else.

I'm actually considering removing all combs from my pocketbook, since I shouldn't need to use them during the day at work.

Thanks ladies for your information on finger combing!