First Legs Now Hands. Podcaster/author Shares She Was Called Out For Not Washing

Leeda.the.Paladin

I’m confused why anyone would post about this if it happened to them.

I’m also confused about people calling other people out on hand hygiene. Unless that person is about to go and operate on your loved one or go cook your food, then shaking your head internally and keeping your mouth closed is probably best.

bellatiamarie

I probably wouldn’t have called her out but I would’ve given her a mean stank eye. All this hepatitis, influenza, amongst other things going around... WASH YA HANDS! Washing your hands is not a personal matter/preference. It affects us all.

I went to Pei Wei a few days ago for takeout. It’s in a plaza and on the end of the building. As I was walking up an employee (yt) came outside to smoke a cigarette. I ordered my food and sat down to wait. At Pei Wei the kitchen is open. A few minutes later, fella that went out to smoke a cigarette as I was walking up came back in. I made it a point to watch and see if he would wash his hands when he went back to the kitchen. He didn’t wash his hands or put on gloves and immediately he started tossing the food that was in the wok :look:. I went back to the counter for a refund :barf:.

Kanky

I would rather people be an extra minute or two late and wash their hands then show up timely but with bodily fluids and germs on their hands.

Bet she touches people and tries to bring in food to share.

ETA: This is super common for white folks btw. That’s why she felt so comfortable sharing this on Twitter.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Good! I'm glad someone call them out. The main reason communicable diseases dropped dramatically during the turn of the last century was not vaccines or antibiotics - it was washing hands and everything hands touched. We need to focus on "herd cleanliness" above anything else. I have heard plenty of white folks complaining about other white folks not washing their hands, especially at work. We need more public service announcements about this issue, and in multiple languages, if you get my drift.

Everything Zen

My old job did a hand washing day and went around screening people’s hands. Well one of the women docs just came out of the bathroom and happily let them screen her hands just so proud that she knew she would be good- she didn’t scrub the back of her hands :nono:

Scrubbing is what really removes the bacteria. People really do need a wake up call. That might actually violate the SM policy of wherever she works. She works in the medical field and posted that?! o_O Whatever hospital she works at reputation just took a hit.

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
Who in the foxtrot uniform charlie kilo is not washing their hands, especially at a hospital?

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.

I’m also confused about people calling other people out on hand hygiene. Unless that person is about to go and operate on your loved one or go cook your food, then shaking your head internally and keeping your mouth closed is probably best.

I'm not about to confront a fully grown adult stranger about washing their hands.

Charmingchick1

There are things that are just non-negotiable to me. Washing my hands after using the bathroom is one of those things. Sometimes I use the stall at work to change into my fitness clothes without actually using the facilities and I still wash my hands upon leaving the stall. Just plain nasty.

LostInAdream

I wash my hands fifty eleven times a day. Before I use the restroom and after, when I come in the house from outside, before I eat after I eat, after I’m done reading or writing, when I get to school, when I get to work, before sex and after, before and after I touch my hair, before I wash up and after putting on lotion. But this grown woman won’t wash her hands after using the bathroom:confused:

Kanky

My kid called a woman out for not washing her hands.

Kid: Mommy she didn’t wash her hands!

Me: Shhhh!

Kid: *loud as all get out* But you have to wash your hands or you will have germs and get sick!

Nasty WhiteWoman and kid stare at each other.

Nasty White Woman: *washes hands*

Kid: Good job!

:lol:

You lose a sticker at preschool if you don’t wash your hands and the teacher has to remind you. Maybe we need some kind reward system for white people who wash their hands and legs since they don’t think that basic hygiene is its own reward.
http://<div class="tenor-gif-embed" data-postid="12114524" data-share-method="host" data-width="100%" data-aspect-ratio="1.7857142857142858"><a href="https://tenor.com/view/diddy-the-four-stare-smile-teasing-gif-12114524">Diddy The Four GIF</a> from <a href="https://tenor.com/search/diddy-gifs">Diddy GIFs</a></div><script type="text/javascript" async src="https://tenor.com/embed.js"></script>

Leeda.the.Paladin

My kid called a woman out for not washing her hands.

Kid: Mommy she didn’t wash her hands!

Me: Shhhh!

Kid: *loud as all get out* But you have to wash your hands or you will have germs and get sick!

Nasty WhiteWoman and kid stare at each other.

Nasty White Woman: *washes hands*

Kid: Good job!

:lol:

You lose a sticker at preschool if you don’t wash your hands and the teacher has to remind you. Maybe we need some kind reward system for white people who wash their hands and legs since they don’t think that basic hygiene is its own reward.
http://<div class="tenor-gif-embed" data-postid="12114524" data-share-method="host" data-width="100%" data-aspect-ratio="1.7857142857142858"><a href="https://tenor.com/view/diddy-the-four-stare-smile-teasing-gif-12114524">Diddy The Four GIF</a> from <a href="https://tenor.com/search/diddy-gifs">Diddy GIFs</a></div><script type="text/javascript" async src="https://tenor.com/embed.js"></script>
Oh Lord :lol:

Kids will keep everyone in line.

Everything Zen

It happens ALL THE TIME. You go to the bathroom. You hear the person in the stall next to you do their business. You hear them flush and leave the stall. You wait to hear them turn on the water. :look: Next sound is them leaving the damn bathroom. :swearing:

White woman are soooooo nasty!!!!

My hands actually tend to be dry and ashy bc I wash them sooo much. :look: I struggle with keeping them moisturized :sad:

Choclatcotton

We always run out of soap in our facilities, therefore, I have decided to carry a small bar of soap in a plastic container like I used to, wherever I go so I always have soap. The facilities soaps stinks and drys out your hands.

intellectualuva

Can we update the title....
.first legs
...then hands
.......now clothing.

:lachen::lachen:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-4890...s&ns_mchannel=social&ocid=socialflow_facebook

Is Stella McCartney right - should we stop washing our clothes?
By Ashitha NageshBBC News

"Basically, in life, rule of thumb: if you don't absolutely have to clean anything, don't clean it."

Fashion designer Stella McCartney said this in an interview with the Observer this weekend, adding that she picked up the tip while working for bespoke tailors on London's prestigious Savile Row. Instead, she says, the "rule" is to "let the dirt dry and you brush it off".

It may have been a throwaway comment at the end of the interview, but something about this line stuck with readers - many of whom have been doing several loads of laundry a week.

So does she have a point? Is it better to avoid washing your clothes?

Killing the planet one microfibre at a time
This isn't the first time McCartney has recommended not washing our clothes. In fact, she has long advocated avoiding the washing machine - both for the longevity of the garments, but also because of the impact washing them has on the environment.

Laura Diáz Sánchez, from the Plastic Soup Foundation advocacy group, agrees with this, particularly when it comes to high-street clothes, which contain more synthetic materials such as polyester and acrylic.
Every time we wash our clothes an average of nine million [plastic] microfibres are released into the environment," she tells BBC News. "The way we wash our clothes affects this, as well as the way our clothes are made - but the more we wash our clothes, the more microfibres are released."

When you do wash, she recommends setting the machine to a lower temperature and using liquid detergent: "Powder detergent creates more friction between the clothes [during washing], so more fibres are released, whereas liquid is smoother. The less friction there is in general, the fewer fibres are released."

She advises against overloading washing machines for the same reason - fewer clothes in the drum means there's less friction.

The art of caring for clothes
But it's not just about microfibres. Washing an item of clothing too often can drastically shorten its lifespan, meaning that you're more likely to throw it out and buy something new.

Prof Andrew Groves, head of the fashion design course at the University of Westminster, tells BBC News that the friction in washing machines is what gets rid of the stains, but is also what distorts a garment's shape and colour.

"I have garments in my wardrobe that I've had for decades that look brand new, simply because I know how to care for them," he says - adding that this goes for both high-end and high-street pieces. The better you look after your clothes, he says, the longer they last, and the more sustainable your fashion is.

This is particularly true when it comes to lingerie. McCartney told the Observer that she "wouldn't change my bra every day", which is something lingerie designer Naomi De Haan agrees with.

Ms De Haan's official advice to people who buy from her label, Edge O' Beyond, is to hand-wash the bras in lukewarm water after about five wears with something mild like baby shampoo.

While the items she sells are more on the luxury end, she tells BBC News that this advice applies to high street underwear as well - though she says sports bras should be washed more often.

"Machine washing can destroy things like delicate lace or silks," she says. "It can also make the wires pop out, it can make the colours fade, and if it's got a moulded cup it can make it go all misshapen."

If you absolutely must machine wash, she adds: "Always do up the hook and eyes to stop any snagging, use a lingerie bag, don't wash with too much heat, and reshape when it's out and hang it to dry or lie it on a flat surface."

But most importantly - never, ever, tumble dry.

Leave your jeans alone
Sarah Clayton, head of the Love Your Clothes campaign by environmental charity Wrap, also suggests not washing your jeans, but airing them between wears instead: "If they have a stain you could try spot-cleaning them with water rather than washing the whole garment."

Letting your jeans fester unwashed may sound a bit unsavoury, but one man in the know swears by it - Chip Bergh, the CEO of Levi's.

People were a bit disturbed in May 2014 when Mr Bergh proudly declared that the pair of jeans he was wearing at the time had never been washed.

Fast-forward almost five years to March this year, and he told the US broadcaster CNN that he still hadn't washed them - despite the pair now being about 10 years old.

Prof Groves agrees with Mr Bergh, and recommends sticking jeans in the freezer in order to kill germs instead.

"Most people I know, when it comes to their denim, don't wash it at all," he says. "Which might seem strange - it's a pair of jeans that they might wear every day. But it's usually because they don't want the colour to fade."

This, he says, is an attitude he hopes people will apply to all of their clothes - not just their jeans.

:look:

Everything Zen

I was mad to see new likes on one of my postsin this thread bc I knew that brand new shenanigans were afoot. :swearing:

I was in an airport restroom in Connecticut the other day washing my hands- white lady calmly leaves the stall and bypasses the :censored: sinks straight out the door.

It’s so second nature to them that when you see it happen you be like:

You know what tho? I’ve started to see it at my local Korean bath house. :look: Women just jumping in the pools without showering or going from the sauna straight back into the pools. I notice that black women also shower longer and seemingly more thoroughly than the white women. I make it a point to go very early right after they clean then first thing in the am when it’s virtually empty. People act genuinely surprised/offended when you call them out on stuff too! :mad:

BillsBackerz67

I'm not about to confront a fully grown adult stranger about washing their hands.
That's my MO outside of my job, but at work I don't play any games. It's bad enough that I'm already working in a cesspool of filth. I don't need anyone making it worse especially from medical professionals.

The major culprits from my observation are white male MD's. I literally saw one resident sneeze directly into his hands and proceed to touch the keyboard to type medical orders in. It was bad enough that he was an orthopedic specialty so no telling how many dressing changes he did with his bare hands on these patients who had open wounds .

I called him out in front of everyone, told him to get up and wash his hands, and promised him if I ever see it again I'm reporting him. The room was silent for like 3 seconds :look:

Southernbella.

That's my MO outside of my job, but at work I don't play any games. It's bad enough that I'm already working in a cesspool of filth. I don't need anyone making it worse especially from medical professionals.

The major culprits from my observation are white male MD's. I literally saw one resident sneeze directly into his hands and proceed to touch the keyboard to type medical orders in. It was bad enough that he was an orthopedic specialty so no telling how many dressing changes he did with his bare hands on these patients who had open wounds .

I called him out in front of everyone, told him to get up and wash his hands, and promised him if I ever see it again I'm reporting him. The room was silent for like 3 seconds :look:

Thank you for your service. And I'm not even joking. :nono:

Isn't that how Western medicine became less dangerous, historically? A nurse suggested that they wash their hands before surgery. I feel like I read that somewhere.

BillsBackerz67

Thank you for your service. And I'm not even joking. :nono:

Isn't that how Western medicine became less dangerous, historically? A nurse suggested that they wash their hands before surgery. I feel like I read that somewhere.
Thank you SB:2inlove:

Good question. I'm not sure if it was a nurse because you know they like to credit only docs for past discoveries but here's the first link I found when I googled the history of handwashing . Credit was given to a Hungarian doc Ignaz Semmelweis and then years later Florence Nightingale Italy (nurse) .
even after their research was proven and the mortality rate and illnesses plummeted, people still did not bother to practice hand washing hygiene across the board. Foul smh.

https://globalhandwashing.org/about-handwashing/history-of-handwashing/