Flat ironing assistance please...a minute to spare!?!

pureebony

Hiya,

right in two weeks I would like to flat iron my hair, now the only thing is that I have had it in braids back to back for almost 6 years.

My hair is natural, now this is what I need help with:

- what kind of treatments should/ or can I do before I flat Iron? like oil, dc etc
- how do I flat iron successfully- without burning my hair?
- what types of flat irons are the best?
- what do I need to flat iron? i.e. heat protectant- which ones are good?
- how to maintain flat ironed hair for s long as possible!
- how to treat your hair after flat ironing... to get moisture back?

Thanks allot for your help ladies!!!

clever

Hiya,

right in two weeks I would like to flat iron my hair, now the only thing is that I have had it in braids back to back for almost 6 years.

- what kind of treatments should/ or can I do before I flat Iron? like oil, dc etc DC with the most moisturizing conditioner you can find with heat for 20-30 minutes.I wouldn't use hot oil before using heat.I also chelate to remove impurities/buildup so my hair won't burn
- how do I flat iron successfully- without burning my hair?part hair in small sections and pull hair taut
- what types of flat irons are the best?CHI
- what do I need to flat iron? i.e. heat protectant- which ones are good?A good leave in and chi silk infusion
- how to maintain flat ironed hair for s long as possible!-I pincurl at night
- how to treat your hair after flat ironing... to get moisture back? I pincurl and thats really it.If you do a good DC and and use a leave in you don't really need to moisturize.

good luck!!!

coripixie

Hiya,

- what kind of treatments should/ or can I do before I flat Iron? like oil, dc etc
-The day before I plan to flat iron my hair, I co-wash my hair with some baking soda added to the conditioner to clarify or if I haven't shampooed in a few months, I shampoo with baking soda added. After the wash, I deep condition with heat and DO NOT USE A SEALANT--no oil, no serum--for about an hour. I gently detangle with my fingers only and then I do a couple of bantu knots or twist to keep my hair from getting tangled again.
-The day of flat ironing I do not use any oil or leave in on my hair and I treat my hair very delicately and manipulate it as little as possible.
I deep condition with heat again on DRY hair. When I DC I use a light oil to coat the strands. I rinse with cold water, apply a smoothing conditioner and then rinse again with cold water and apple cider vinegar.
-I apply Sabino Moisture Block and comb it through my wet hair. I section my hair and once it is about half way dry, I blow dry it from the bottom to the top. I use the nozzle attachment and just comb though with the dryer on cool or warm. Once my hair is blow dried, I am ready to flat iron!
- how do I flat iron successfully- without burning my hair?
Use a lower heat. The first time I ever flat ironed, I was terrified of frying my hair and I didn't go higher than 275. Now I flat iron at 375, but no higher. I also do not go over hair more than two or three times, but if you can get it in one go, this is best.
Flat ironing in thin sections will also help you get your hair straighter without having the go over the section multiple times.
Use the chase method (pulling a fine tooth comb through your hair and following with the flat iron so that it only straightens completely detangled hair. It also creates more tension).
- what types of flat irons are the best?
I use a Solia. It was relatively in expensive and it really well.
- what do I need to flat iron? i.e. heat protectant- which ones are good?
I use a small amount of smoothing cream followed by a heat protectant. My favorite heat protectant is Sabino Moisture Block. In terms of amounts of products, less is more!
- how to maintain flat ironed hair for s long as possible!
Pin curls every night or using flexirods.
- how to treat your hair after flat ironing... to get moisture back?
I clarify to get the silicone from the Sabino out and then I DC. Sometimes I do a protein treatment and follow with a DC.

I hope this helps! Sorry it is so long :)

CenteredGirl

See my response in red below.

Hiya,

- what kind of treatments should/ or can I do before I flat Iron? like oil, dc etc at least 1 hour DC under hot dryer (or heat cap), heat protectant is a must before you put on heat, I don't use oil because I don't get that hair blowing effect with it.
- how do I flat iron successfully- without burning my hair? Heat protectant
- what types of flat irons are the best? IMHO you pay for what you get. More expensive, better, safer result. I have a Corioliss ($275) and it's worth every penny. I have also used Chi and Sedu, high end ones are good. Don't be cheap when purchasing hair appliances.
- what do I need to flat iron? i.e. heat protectant- which ones are good? Heat protectant I love Superstar by Bed Head - it's for blow drying which I do before I flat iron.
- how to maintain flat ironed hair for s long as possible! PM SamathaJones on Moisture Block. She swears no reversion when using it. I live in a rainy climate and the way I do it (above) I can walk around under an umbrella forever and not revert.
- how to treat your hair after flat ironing... to get moisture back? I just wrap at night and put a bit of leave in cream (just a tiny bit at a time to prevent reversion)

If you hair is sufficently moisturized to begin with, the chances of damaging your hair and hair reversion are minimal. Good luck.