Flaxseed oil benefits ....(long)

confused_one

• Lower cholesterol, protect against heart disease and control high blood pressure. Several studies indicate that flaxseed oil, as well as ground flaxseeds, can lower cholesterol, thereby significantly reducing the risk of heart disease. Taking flaxseed oil may also protect against angina (chest pain) and high blood pressure. In addition, a five-year study done recently at Boston's Simmons College found that flaxseed oil may be useful in preventing a second heart attack. It may also help prevent elevated blood pressure by inhibiting inflammatory reactions that cause artery-hardening plaque and poor circulation.
• Counter inflammation associated with gout, lupus and fibrocystic breasts. Omega-3 fatty acids appear to limit the inflammatory reaction associated with these conditions. In cases of lupus, flaxseed oil not only reduces inflammation in the joints, skin and kidneys, but also lowers cholesterol levels that may be elevated by the disease. Taking flaxseed oil for gout may lessen the often sudden and severe joint pain or swelling that is a symptom of this condition. In addition, the ability of omega-3 fatty acids to boost the absorption of iodine--a mineral often found in low levels in women suffering from fibrocystic breasts--makes flaxseed oil potentially valuable for treating this often painful condition.
• Control constipation, hemorrhoids, diverticular disorders and gallstones. Because they are high in dietary fiber, ground flaxseeds can help ease the passage of stools and thus relieve constipation, hemorrhoids and diverticular disease. In those with diverticular disease, flaxseeds may also keep intestinal pouches free of waste and thus keep potential infection at bay. Taken for inflammatory bowel disease, flaxseed oil can help to calm inflammation and repair any intestinal tract damage. In addition, the oil may prevent painful gallstones from developing and even dissolve existing stones.
• Treat acne, eczema, psoriasis, sunburn and rosacea. The essential fatty acids in flaxseed oil are largely responsible for its skin-healing powers. Red, itchy patches of eczema, psoriasis and rosacea often respond to the EFA's anti-inflammatory actions and overall skin-soothing properties. Sunburned skin may heal faster when treated with the oil as well. In cases of acne, the EFAs encourage thinning of the oily sebum that clogs pores.
• Promote healthy hair and nails. The abundant omega-3 fatty acids in flaxseed oil have been shown to contribute to healthy hair growth (in fact, low levels of these acids may cause dry and lackluster locks). Hair problems exacerbated by psoriasis or eczema of the scalp may respond to the skin-revitalizing and anti-inflammatory actions of flaxseed oil as well. Similarly, the oil's EFAs work to nourish dry or brittle nails, stopping them from cracking or splitting.
• Minimize nerve damage that causes numbness and tingling as well as other disorders. The EFAs in flaxseed oil assist in the transmission of nerve impulses, making the oil potentially valuable in treating conditions of numbness and tingling. The oil's nerve-nourishing actions may also help in the treatment of Parkinson's disease, a degenerative disorder of the nervous system, and protect against the nerve damage associated with diabetes and multiple sclerosis.
• Reduce cancer risk and guard against the effects of aging. The lignans in flaxseed oil appear to play a role in protecting against breast, colon, prostate, and perhaps skin cancer. Although further studies are needed, research undertaken at the University of Toronto indicates that women with breast cancer, regardless of the degree of cancer invasiveness, may benefit from treatment with flaxseed oil. Interestingly, the oil's lignans may protect against various effects of aging as well.
• Treat menopausal symptoms, menstrual cramps, female infertility and endometriosis. Because the hormone-balancing lignans and plant estrogens (phytoestrogens) in flaxseed oil help stabilize a woman's estrogen-progesterone ratio, they can have beneficial effects on the menstrual cycle, and relieve the hot flashes of perimenopause and menopause. Flaxseed oil may also improve uterine function and thus treat fertility problems. In addition, the essential fatty acids in flaxseed oil have been shown to block production of prostaglandins, hormonelike substances that, when released in excess amounts during menstruation, can cause the heavy bleeding associated with endometriosis.
• Fight prostate problems, male infertility and impotence. The EFAs in flaxseed oil may help to prevent swelling and inflammation of the prostate, the small gland located below the bladder in males that tends to enlarge with age. Symptoms of such enlargement, such as urgency to urinate, may lessen as a result. The EFAs also play a role in keeping sperm healthy, which may be of value in treating male infertility, and they can improve blood flow to the penis, a boon for those suffering from impotence.
Note: Flaxseed oil has also been found to be useful for a number of other disorders.
Special tips:
--Liquid flaxseed oil is the easiest form to use, although it must be kept refrigerated.
--Capsules containing flaxseed oil are convenient for traveling, but can be quite expensive in comparison to the liquid form. Also, a large number of capsules--approximately 14 containing 1,000 mg of oil each--are needed to get the equivalent of 1 tablespoon of oil.
--If using ground flaxseeds, just add 1 or 2 tablespoons of to an 8-ounce glass of water and mix.
• For heart disease prevention, gout, lupus, acne, eczema, cancer prevention, hair or nail problems, endometriosis, male infertility, prostate problems and impotence: Take l tablespoon of flaxseed oil in the morning.
• For high blood pressure: Take l tablespoon of flaxseed oil a day, along with 1,000 mg of fish oils three times a day.
• For hemorrhoids: Add l tablespoon of ground flaxseeds to an 8-ounce glass of water and drink the mixture once a day. Make sure to drink extra glasses of water throughout the day as well. The treatment make take a few days to have an effect.
• For gallstones: Take l tablespoon of flaxseed oil in the morning.
• For psoriasis: Take l tablespoon of flaxseed oil each morning, along with 1,000 mg fish oils three times a day.
• For sunburn, numbness and tingling: Take l tablespoon of flaxseed oil twice a day.
• For diverticular disorders: Add 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed to an 8-ounce glass of water. Drink this mixture twice a day. Make sure to drink extra glasses of water throughout the day as well. The treatment make take a few days to have an effect.
• For menstrual disorders, menopausal symptoms, female infertility, and rosacea: Take 1 tablespoon of flaxseed oil a day, along with 1,000 mg of evening primrose oil or borage oil three times a day.
Be sure to check out our Dosage Recommendations Chart for Flaxseed Oil, which has therapeutic dosages for specific ailments at a glance.
Guidelines for Use
• For best absorption, take flaxseed oil with food. It is easily mixed into juices and other drinks, and its nutty, buttery flavor complements cottage cheese, yogurt and many other foods. You can also use it instead of olive oil in a salad dressing. Don't cook with it, however; this will deplete the oil's nutrient content.
• Avoid buying flaxseed oil marked as "cold-pressed." This type of processing offers no additional benefits, and processed oils are usually more expensive.
General Interaction
There appear to be few if any drug or nutrient interactions with flaxseeds (or their oil). Because flaxseed may interfere with the absorption of certain medicines, however, it's a good idea to consult your doctor if you are already on medication and want to take it in any form

• Don't take flaxseed oil or ground flaxseed if you have a bowel obstruction of any kind.
• Allergic reactions to flaxseed have occurred. If you suddenly have difficulty breathing after taking the supplement, it is imperative that you get medical attention promptly.

• Ailments Dosage
Acne 1 tbsp. (14 grams) a day
Aging 1 tbsp. (14 grams) a day
Angina 1 tbsp. (14 grams) a day
Back Pain 1 tbsp. (14 grams) a day.
Cancer Prevention 1 tbsp. (14 grams) a day, or 4 capsules 3 times a day
Cataracts 1 tbsp. (14 grams) a day
Chronic Pain 1 tbsp a day
Cold Sores 1 tbsp. (14 grams) a day
Constipation 1-3 tbsp. ground flaxseeds in large glass of water a day
Crohn's Disease 1 tbsp. (14 grams) a day
Eczema 1 tbsp. (14 grams) a day
Endometriosis 1 tbsp. (14 grams) a day
Fatigue 1 tbsp. (14 grams) a day
Hair Problems 1 tbsp. (14 grams) a day
Heart Disease Prevention 1 tbsp. (14 grams) a day
Hemorrhoids 1 tbsp. ground flaxseeds a day, mixed into large glass of water
High Blood Pressure 1 tbsp. (14 grams) a day
Impotence 1 tbsp. (14 grams) a day
Infertility, Female 1 tbsp. (14 grams) a day
Infertility, Male 1 tbsp. (14 grams) a day
Kidney Stones 1 tbsp. (14 grams) a day
Lupus 1 tbsp. (14 grams) a day
Menopause 1 tbsp. (14 grams) a day
Multiple Sclerosis 1 tbsp. (14 grams) a day
Nail Problems 1 tbsp. (14 grams) a day.
Parkinson's Disease 1 tbsp. (14 grams) a day.
Perimenopause 1 tbsp. (14 grams) a day
Prostate Problems 1 tbsp. (14 grams) a day
Psoriasis 1 tbsp. (14 grams) a day.
Rosacea 1 tbsp. (14 grams) a day
Shingles 1 tbsp. (14 grams) a day for flare-ups.
Skin Health 1 tablespoonful daily; can be mixed with juice
Stroke 1 tbsp. (14 grams) a day
Sunburn 1 tbsp. (14 grams) once a day, mixed with food or juice.
Can also be dabbed directly on sunburned skin.

mrslee

Love yourself first!
I am on my way to get some from my health food store. I have been suffering from excema for two months now. Hopefully this will help. Thanks!

candie19

Confused One,

Thank you for posting this!::kissing::I was going online to find out more about Flaxseed oil. I just bought the cold-pressed oil two days ago at GNC. I bought it for 2 reasons:my hubby, he has high cholesterol and because of the Oprah Winfrey show. It was the episode last week when she got her ears pierced and she had a black woman on there that looked half her age. She was stunning! She said she took 2tbls. of flaxseed oilin the powered formalong with juice. She used the GNC brand. Her skin was flawless and glowing. I had to go out and buy it. This is my 2nd day and drinking the oil isn't a bad as I thought. Just drink some juice behind it.

I've been taking 9-12 1000mg tabs of the flaxseed for the last 6 months. I used to suffer from small patches of eczema prior to using flaxseed. It has helped me greatly, my skin has never looked so good. My hubby compliments all the time that I"m GLOWING!!! :D
My hair and nails are growing nicely also!