Flaxseeds? Flaxseed Oil? Flaxseed Caps? Best??

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
loverofnaps71 said:
Isis, I promise not to bother you after this, but where did your bf purchase the kelp powder?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just saw your post! My bf bought the kelp powder at a health food store. He has the NOW brand and it's pretty inexpensive, about $3 for a large container. I don't have the specs right now on how much to take but it isn't much at all to get a lot of benefits for weight loss and hair improvement. His hair also got a lot thicker than it was with no more shedding (he used to shed a quite a bit).

karezone

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
Miss Brown, you can use a coffee grinder or a regular food blender or food processor to grind the seeds. (Even a mortar and pestle works well, in case there's no electricity!). With the blender, you just add the whole seeds and press the grind button. Nothing else is added.

Whole seeds last at room temperature for up to one year, in a cool area. The ground can get rancid pretty fast because of the oil so ground seeds can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 months, in a tightly sealed container. I've never stored it that long - I grind enough for about a week at a time.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you tell if your already ground flaxseeds are rancid?

azul11

This thread was very informative. It is good to have products to use for both hair and body. I may look into that kelp powder and some flaxseed oils. God bless you all.

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
<font color="purple">I recently bought some Flax Meal(which is ground up Flax Seeds)from my local supermarket's Natural Foods Section. The way to tell if they are rancid is by tasting them. If they become rancid, the oil would separate from the seeds, and they'll taste kinda funny and not fresh. Once opened, store them in the refrigerator like you said. But your best bet would be to store the ground seeds in a freezer bag and put it in the freezer. That's how I did mine. 'Cause when I opened the bag of meal, after using it, I put it in the freezer to keep it fresh. It'll last for 1 whole year that way. Same goes for flour, corn meal, and even shelled or ground nuts. Hope to answer your question. Toodles. </font>

karezone

Thank you put mine in the freezer. I thought I was wrong in doing so. But they smell alright. I have not worked up the courage to eat them yet.

Isis

I also keep my flaxseed oil bottle in the freezer, especially if there is a sale and I buy more than one. It never freezes and keeps even longer.

Just munch on a little bit in your hand Karezone. I won't hurt. It has a nutty taste. You may even like it by itself.

Isis

Karezone - Sometimes I eat the ground seeds as a hot cereal itself by adding boiling water to it in a bowl. It can be sweetened with honey or whatever you use. The consistency reminds me of oatmeal and some add it to their oatmeal.
I use it more often sprinkled on my salads though.

As I mentioned before, if I want something sweet I mix the ground seeds with some honey, raw almonds chopped, raw sunflower seeds and some dates or raisins. It's almost like a candy.

You'll find a way to eat it that you enjoy the most. It's a great source of protein too and very low carbs.

JFemme

karezone ---mix it up in a protein shake / sprinkle on oatmeal or on top of stir fry veggies....

you can do it ! ---