Flip-Floppers in HERE! Can't decide between Relaxed and Natural......

KiSseS03

Where are my ladies who are constantly going back and forth between relaxed and natural hair?!

Ladies, I was thinking today about the past 5 years. I started really caring about my hair when I was 16, and found hairboards about a year later and subscribed the next year.

In those five years:

-I have transitioned to natural hair from relaxed FOUR times!!

-Of those four transitions I only chopped twice

-I have only been fully natural for a total of 16 months,

-BUT each time I got a relaxer I would only go back for maybe one or two re-touches and then decide to go natural again.

Thus, I have spent 3+ out of the past 5 years conciously transitioning.
At first I thought this was a bad thing, but now that I think about it I was my most creative styling-wise, and learned so much about healthy hair practices in these times.

So, just curious, who else out there keeps flip-flopping?​

I've gone back and forth at different periods of time. I am now considering changing again to maybe texturizing. But I'm not sure.

That would be moi. I keep flip flopping, can't decide which way to go and stay. I like the power of naps, but I also like the look and feel of relaxed hair. On Monday, I will be relaxing again :nono: :look:

I think i am going to stay put for a little while because I am a little fickled at this point.

I've never had adverse reactions to relaxers but I have that 4b/z stuff too and it can be alot to deal with at times.

I am definitely diggin seeing the results other ladies are having here... though

I do!!! In the last 10yrs, I've been relaxed then natural then texturized then relaxed then natural then texturized then natural then relaxed and now I'm going natural again. For me, it's an inherent dissatisfation with my hair in a processed state..but I never seem to give up hope that one day it'll be different. But as of now, I'm over it and I'm going natural and plan to stay natural....until further notice :grin:

I used to be a flip-flopper! I got my first relaxer at age 10; went natural at 14 when all of my hair broke off due to daily swimming lessons in gym class (and me not washing out the chlorine); relaxed again at age 20 to be in a hair show; went natural again at age 22 when my hair started to get damaged from improper relaxer care; finally relaxed again at age 24.

Present Day: I’m going natural again ... but this time I'm done with the relaxers for good ...

... I think ...

I flip flop in my mind all the time....Im natural now and I think about going to a relaxer every once in a while. Then I fall back in love with my natural hair and the urge leaves. So I dont know......I think I may go back relaxed again at least one more time and then end up going natural....or I just may stay natural the rest of my life. Who knows? Im at high risk to be a flip flopper...LOL

I've been flip flopping for the past month but I've decide to go ahead and relax my hair. I'll be relaxing my hair this weekend.:grin: Good luck what ever you decided to do...

I am all natural right now, but I'm contemplating a texturizer or relaxer. The longer my hair gets, the les I can do with it besides wear it flat ironed. I haven't flipped yet, but it's on my mind.

This is an interesting thread, but my question is how do you ladies retain any length with all these changes?

i think i'm also at risk to be a flip-flopper. i just love CHANGE!! Color, length, naps, straight, my hair is the first thing I change when I need somethin different. Any change automagically makes me feel great. I first relaxed at 15, then BC'd and went to a short natural at 21, then relaxed and got a pixie cut at 25. I've been relaxed for about 9 months now and so far I'm liking it but I know I will be back to natural, maybe in another year or so. I just want to attempt getting to BSL before I let go of the length cuz I know when I go back natural, I'll be BCing it!

I am a total flip flopper. I've been going back and forth since HS. In HS I would only relax (PCJ) once, max twice a year, and then in my junior year I decided to grow out my relaxer. I started going to the Dominicans and I let the stylist talk me into relaxing. All through college I relaxed and my last year I decided to transition. I was completely natural by 02 and by 03 I relaxed again. Transitioned again and in 05 I relaxed. That was my last relaxer and I am tempted to texturize/texlax:look:

I used to be a flip-flopper! I got my first relaxer at age 10; went natural at 14 when all of my hair broke off due to daily swimming lessons in gym class (and me not washing out the chlorine); relaxed again at age 20 to be in a hair show; went natural again at age 22 when my hair started to get damaged from improper relaxer care; finally relaxed again at age 24.

Present Day: I’m going natural again ... but this time I'm done with the relaxers for good ...

... I think ...

The exact same thing happened to me when I was 10, except my mother really didn't know any better and when I would come home on swim days my mom would warm comb my hair, by the end of that schoolyear I had lost almost all of my length, I was devastated (and so was my mom), I went from almost shoulder-length to above ear.

To the OP, this is a cute thread.

Here 's my flip flopping chart.

Birth until 1999: Natural
1999-2001: Relaxed (BC'd by shaving head bald :spinning:)
2001-2004: Natural
2004-2006: Relaxed (5 months transition, then BC'd, but then had barber cut it all off the next day)
2006-2007: Natural
2007-????: ????

I prefer natural, but there are certain reasons why I kept going back to relaxing. I need to surpass those "humps." So who know what will happen next :drunk::spinning:

Back